ThinkPad Memory Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by mcp6453, Mar 4, 2007.

  1. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    My ThinkPad 2647 (PIII) uses memory with the following specifications,
    according to the Lenovo website:

    * 100MHz Synchronous DRAM (SDRAM)
    * Two-bank memory design organized as 32M x 64
    * Low-power consumption DRAM
    * Serial presence detect/decode
    * 144-pin JEDEC/JEDIA standard SoDIMM interface
    * Gold-plated leads

    I picked up a stick of Kingston KVR133X64SC3/256 to replace one of the
    128MB sticks in one of the two slots on the motherboard. Here are the
    specs on the Kingston memory:

    256MB 133MHz Non-ECC CL3 SODIMM, Standard 32M X 64 Non-ECC 133MHz
    144-pin Unbuffered SODIMM (SDRAM, 3.3V, CL3, Gold)

    The Kingston memory is not compatible with the Lenovo/IBM 2647. Why not?
    I don't see the problem.

    mcp6453, Mar 4, 2007

  2. mcp6453

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    mcp6453 wrote:
    > My ThinkPad 2647 (PIII) uses memory with the following specifications,
    > according to the Lenovo website:
    >
    > * 100MHz Synchronous DRAM (SDRAM)
    > * Two-bank memory design organized as 32M x 64
    > * Low-power consumption DRAM
    > * Serial presence detect/decode
    > * 144-pin JEDEC/JEDIA standard SoDIMM interface
    > * Gold-plated leads
    >
    > I picked up a stick of Kingston KVR133X64SC3/256 to replace one of the
    > 128MB sticks in one of the two slots on the motherboard. Here are the
    > specs on the Kingston memory:
    >
    > 256MB 133MHz Non-ECC CL3 SODIMM, Standard 32M X 64 Non-ECC 133MHz
    > 144-pin Unbuffered SODIMM (SDRAM, 3.3V, CL3, Gold)
    >
    > The Kingston memory is not compatible with the Lenovo/IBM 2647. Why not?
    > I don't see the problem.

    http://www.crucial.com/

    That's where you get memory that's not going to give you any problems.

    Mr. Arnold, Mar 4, 2007