    gone around to looking..

    So need some feed back on this.

    Thanks

    Frank, Nov 30, 2004

  2. Frank

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Frank" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I have 3 Slimline Sony Beta VCR's and stacks of tapes, 2 are working one

    > think needs fixing, have one Real Remote and a replament remote.
    >
    > I did read that these are fetching good prices on Trade Me, but I have not
    > gone around to looking..
    >

    > So need some feed back on this.
    >

    > Thanks

    You're not actually trying to sell crap are you?
    1 wasn't enough you had to get 3 of them.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 30, 2004

  3. E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>I have 3 Slimline Sony Beta VCR's and stacks of tapes, 2 are working one

    > You're not actually trying to sell crap are you?
    > 1 wasn't enough you had to get 3 of them.

    beta was better technically than VHS... so wheres the problem?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 30, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> I have 3 Slimline Sony Beta VCR's and stacks of tapes, 2 are working
    >>> one

    >> You're not actually trying to sell crap are you?
    >> 1 wasn't enough you had to get 3 of them.

    > beta was better technically than VHS... so wheres the problem?

    besides that, what business is it of yours what this person sells?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 30, 2004
  5. Frank

    steve Guest

    Frank wrote:

    > I have 3 Slimline Sony Beta VCR's and stacks of tapes, 2 are working one
    > think needs fixing, have one Real Remote and a replament remote.
    >
    > I did read that these are fetching good prices on Trade Me, but I have not
    > gone around to looking..
    >
    > So need some feed back on this.

    I have a box of 19yo beta tapes I'd like to test for
    readability....including the complete, end-to-end, recording of Live-Aid in
    1985.....

    What do you want for one of those?

    They would be fairly old......

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home

    steve, Nov 30, 2004
  6. Frank

    steve Guest

    steve, Nov 30, 2004
  7. On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 11:44:54 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> wrote:

    >"Frank" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> I have 3 Slimline Sony Beta VCR's and stacks of tapes, 2 are working one

    >> think needs fixing, have one Real Remote and a replament remote.
    >>
    >> I did read that these are fetching good prices on Trade Me, but I have not
    >> gone around to looking..
    >>

    >> So need some feed back on this.
    >>

    >> Thanks

    >You're not actually trying to sell crap are you?
    >1 wasn't enough you had to get 3 of them.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    They are fetching 10 times the price of a VHS Model.

    So if that is crap, you must have a Crap Brain..

    Sorry I forgot you don't have a Brain..

    Brian Mathews, Nov 30, 2004
  8. On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 12:38:44 +1300, steve <>
    wrote:

    >Frank wrote:
    >

    >> I have 3 Slimline Sony Beta VCR's and stacks of tapes, 2 are working one
    >> think needs fixing, have one Real Remote and a replament remote.
    >>
    >> I did read that these are fetching good prices on Trade Me, but I have not
    >> gone around to looking..
    >>
    >> So need some feed back on this.

    >I have a box of 19yo beta tapes I'd like to test for
    >readability....including the complete, end-to-end, recording of Live-Aid in
    >1985.....
    >
    >What do you want for one of those?
    >
    >They would be fairly old......

    Yes but fetching very high prices..

    Brian Mathews, Nov 30, 2004
  9. On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 12:39:37 +1300, steve <>
    wrote:

    >*sling wrote:
    >
    >> You're not actually trying to sell crap are you?
    >> 1 wasn't enough you had to get 3 of them.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    >Beta was better tech.
    >
    >VHS was better marketing.
    >
    >Broadcasters still use beta.....

    The Problem with Beta as you needed to be a Watchmaker to fix them, no good
    for cowboys

    Plus Super Beta play back was built in all models except for the very first.

    Brian Mathews, Nov 30, 2004
  10. Frank

    Invisible Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 11:51:02 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <>
    wrote:

    >>> You're not actually trying to sell crap are you?
    >>> 1 wasn't enough you had to get 3 of them.

    >> beta was better technically than VHS... so wheres the problem?

    >besides that, what business is it of yours what this person sells?

    It's only Woger, again. New day new/old name.

    Snake on the Simpsons, after stealing their vcr "Oh noooooo, beta!"

    Invisible, Dec 1, 2004
  11. Invisible wrote:

    >>>beta was better technically than VHS... so wheres the problem?

    >>besides that, what business is it of yours what this person sells?

    > It's only Woger, again. New day new/old name.

    not unless Roger is faking being Scrooge?

    > Snake on the Simpsons, after stealing their vcr "Oh noooooo, beta!"

    heh, I love the simpsons.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 1, 2004
  12. Frank

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    steve wrote:

    > *sling wrote:
    >

    >>You're not actually trying to sell crap are you?
    >>1 wasn't enough you had to get 3 of them.
    >>
    >>E. Scrooge

    > Beta was better tech.
    >
    > VHS was better marketing.
    >
    > Broadcasters still use beta.....

    They didn't use the betamax consumer format though.
    You may be confusing it with betacam, betacam sp, betacam sx, digital
    betacam which were derived from the same transport mechanism
    The first betacam recorders in 1982 could record 20min of component
    video on betamax cassettes and were responsible for a complete
    revolution in electronic news gathering.

    The vhs vs betamax format war is an interesting example of competition
    between a proprietary product and a product licensed to several
    competing manufacturers, a text-book example of the tipping point.

    Sony has been more successful with other product standards such as the
    CD developed jointly with Philips and the 3.5" diskette

    Alex Axolotl, Dec 1, 2004
  13. Frank

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>>I have 3 Slimline Sony Beta VCR's and stacks of tapes, 2 are working one

    >> You're not actually trying to sell crap are you?
    >> 1 wasn't enough you had to get 3 of them.

    > beta was better technically than VHS... so wheres the problem?

    There was no problem back in 1 9 7 8 or whatever with them.

    It's now 2004 - The time of the DVDs to piss over all else due to quality,
    volume, and price.

    Like Beta the horse and cart is no long needed to get from one place to
    another.

    In the year 2 0 4 0 DVDs will be crap compared to new gear of that future
    time zone.

    It should be interesting to note how many suckers bothered to buy crap VHS
    movies - mainly because they don't last and the tape can be easily ruined.
    Compared to the huge number of people that are out buying up DVDs. It's now
    actually worthwhile to be building up video collection thanks to the DVD
    format.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Dec 1, 2004
  14. E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>beta was better technically than VHS... so wheres the problem?

    > It's now 2004 - The time of the DVDs to piss over all else due to quality,
    > volume, and price.
    > Like Beta the horse and cart is no long needed to get from one place to
    > another.

    and yet they are still used, and preferred for some things too...
    interesting really.

    > In the year 2 0 4 0 DVDs will be crap compared to new gear of that future
    > time zone.

    I wonder if they'll still be used?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 1, 2004
  15. Frank

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >
    >>> beta was better technically than VHS... so wheres the problem?

    >> It's now 2004 - The time of the DVDs to piss over all else due to
    >> quality, volume, and price.
    >> Like Beta the horse and cart is no long needed to get from one place
    >> to another.

    > and yet they are still used, and preferred for some things too...
    > interesting really.

    They aren't being sold by some major retailers now, and manufacturers
    will stop making them pretty soon.
    They are electromechanical so they don't take long to wear out, I'd give
    them a couple of years after the last one is sold to be as rare as
    record players
    The DVD recorders to replace them are in retail now, with and without
    hard drives and compression

    >> In the year 2 0 4 0 DVDs will be crap compared to new gear of that
    >> future time zone.

    > I wonder if they'll still be used?

    No
    Getting a movie will be like getting a web page

    Alex Axolotl, Dec 1, 2004
  16. Frank

    Richard Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:

    > There was no problem back in 1 9 7 8 or whatever with them.
    >
    > It's now 2004 - The time of the DVDs to piss over all else due to quality,
    > volume, and price.

    Sorry, current standalone DVD recorders miss out totally on the quality front,
    as unless you record at the 1 or 2 hour rate, they looke like crap.

    Im going to pass totally on the DVD recorders, untill someone makes a HDD
    recorder that records uncompressed, lets you edit uncompressed and then do a
    multipass encoding before writing to disc.

    > It should be interesting to note how many suckers bothered to buy crap VHS
    > movies - mainly because they don't last and the tape can be easily ruined.
    > Compared to the huge number of people that are out buying up DVDs. It's now
    > actually worthwhile to be building up video collection thanks to the DVD
    > format.

    That is true, but for a record once watch once format, DVD recorders are not the
    solution, HDD is, and untill manafacturs are realistic with pricing, They are
    not going to move a great deal of them.

    Richard, Dec 1, 2004
  17. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Wed, 01 Dec 2004 12:55:56 +1300, Brian Mathews <>
    says...
    > On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 12:39:37 +1300, steve <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >*sling wrote:
    > >
    > >> You're not actually trying to sell crap are you?
    > >> 1 wasn't enough you had to get 3 of them.
    > >>
    > >> E. Scrooge

    > >Beta was better tech.
    > >
    > >VHS was better marketing.
    > >
    > >Broadcasters still use beta.....

    > The Problem with Beta as you needed to be a Watchmaker to fix them, no good
    > for cowboys
    >
    > Plus Super Beta play back was built in all models except for the very first.

    Broadcasters use Betacam, which uses a similar mech and tape, but it's
    not the same as the domestic gear.

    Patrick Dunford, Dec 1, 2004
  18. Frank

    A Guest

    On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:01:10 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> wrote:

    >It should be interesting to note how many suckers bothered to buy crap VHS
    >movies - mainly because they don't last and the tape can be easily ruined.
    >Compared to the huge number of people that are out buying up DVDs. It's now
    >actually worthwhile to be building up video collection thanks to the DVD
    >format.

    There's still a use for VHS though - I was an early convert to DVD but
    video tapes are much more durable with kids (even though they do wear
    out and need to be rewound). My 3 year old is destroying his DVD
    collection through scratching them and mishandling them and he has
    trouble loading them (either putting them in upside down or off centre
    in the tray).

    He's got no problems with video tapes - insert into the video and off
    he goes.

    A, Dec 1, 2004
  19. Frank

    A Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:12:08 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >That is true, but for a record once watch once format, DVD recorders are not the
    >solution, HDD is, and untill manafacturs are realistic with pricing, They are
    >not going to move a great deal of them.

    While DVD recorders are coming down in price to an affordable level
    ($500-$800), the HDD models are still overpriced.

    A cheap 80GB model is around $1300-$1500 (I think more towards the
    higher price from memory). That's $500 to $1000 higher than the
    non-HDD models.

    The cost of an 80GB HDD? $90 or so unless they're using 2.5" drives in
    which case you're looking at $250.

    That means you're paying a $250-$910 premium for the menu software and
    other added features.

    Does anyone know if they use 3.5 or 2.5" drives?

    A, Dec 1, 2004
  20. Alex Axolotl wrote:
    >>> Like Beta the horse and cart is no long needed to get from one place
    >>> to another.

    >> and yet they are still used, and preferred for some things too...
    >> interesting really.

    > They aren't being sold by some major retailers now, and manufacturers
    > will stop making them pretty soon.

    heh, I was meaning the Horse and Cart... and for some applications, I
    can see that they'll be around for quite some time.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 1, 2004