thinking of getting (bidding from ebay) various notebook parts and building my own ...:

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ms smiling bookworm, Oct 17, 2005.

  1. what parts do I need?

    ms smiling bookworm, Oct 17, 2005

  2. ms  smiling bookworm

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 17 Oct 2005 15:28:38 -0700, "ms smiling bookworm"
    <> wrote:

    >what parts do I need?

    If you knew how to build a laptop, you'd know what parts you need.

    Why not buy a laptop all in one piece?

    Evan Platt, Oct 17, 2005

  3. ms  smiling bookworm

    Old Gringo Guest

    On 17 Oct 2005 15:28:38 -0700, in the 24hoursupport.helpdesk News
    Group, Without Any Hesitation ms smiling bookworm Wrote The
    Following:

    > what parts do I need?

    Are you going to do a 2 ring or a 3 ring?

    --
    Old Gringo
    The Future Is Not What It Use To Be

    Old Gringo, Oct 17, 2005
  4. ms  smiling bookworm

    clot Guest

    ms smiling bookworm wrote:
    > what parts do I need?

    Careful, Blinky! :)

    clot, Oct 18, 2005
  5. ms  smiling bookworm

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, ms
    smiling bookworm <> wrote:

    > what parts do I need?

    Pick which model you want to end up with and then buy exactly the parts
    that would be in it.

    notebook/laptop computers are not designed as simple holders for common
    off-the shelf parts -- you can't take regular components and just add
    them together in a no-name case, like you might with a desktop.
    This is for the simple reason that desktop cases make room for the
    common sie of components.
    Laptops have no such room. Every piece is usually designed specifically
    for that one series of laptop, and no other.

    Look at motherboards, for instance.
    A desktop motherboard is about the size of a laptop. But the laptop
    hasn't got any room for that; it also has to hold the battery, hard
    drive, optical drive, video and sound support, and all port support and
    RAM slots.
    Obviously, engineers go to extra lengths to get all this to happen in
    small spaces. Let's give them some respect, rather than assuming it's
    just a matter of grabbing a list of parts to push together.

    Mitch, Oct 18, 2005
  6. ms  smiling bookworm

    WormWood Guest

    "Old Gringo", needing one major to finish his AKC Championship. wrote:
    > On 17 Oct 2005 15:28:38 -0700, in the 24hoursupport.helpdesk News
    > Group, Without Any Hesitation ms smiling bookworm Wrote The
    > Following:
    >
    >> what parts do I need?

    > Are you going to do a 2 ring or a 3 ring?

    A spiral, perhaps?

    Never tell anyone how to do something: tell them what to do and they
    will astound you with their ingenuity
    -George C. Patton

    WormWood, Oct 18, 2005
  7. ms  smiling bookworm

    Unk Guest

    On 17 Oct 2005 15:28:38 -0700, "ms smiling bookworm" <> wrote:

    >what parts do I need?

    Everything

    Unk, Oct 18, 2005
  8. Unk ...
    that would be a mother board, a cd/dvd rw drive, a hard drive, ram,
    anything else?

    ms smiling bookworm, Oct 20, 2005
  9. ms  smiling bookworm

    clot Guest

    ms smiling bookworm wrote:
    > Unk ...
    > that would be a mother board, a cd/dvd rw drive, a hard drive, ram,
    > anything else?

    GSOH; USB button (brightly coloured); appreciation of Climate Change &
    understanding of Icelandic personal names.
    I do HTH, :)

    clot, Oct 20, 2005