Thinking of getting a Dell server with Red Hat ASx?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Sinclair, Jun 21, 2005.

  1. In article <>, thing2 <> wrote:
    >forget it.
    >
    >Dell will not support RHAS2.1/3/4 in NZ.

    Dell won't supply an AMD chip either ... or wouldn't a couple of years ago.
    That said ...

    >I suggest you try another vendor.......I have had a huge battle and lost
    >thousands of Dollars paid in support subscriptions to Dell only to have
    >them knock me back each time I need support.
    >
    >This does not reflect badly on Red Hat they have helped me heaps.

    Why would a hardware seller support an OS ? Isn't that the job of the OS
    supplier ?

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 21, 2005

  2. Bruce Sinclair

    thing2 Guest

    forget it.

    Dell will not support RHAS2.1/3/4 in NZ.

    I suggest you try another vendor.......I have had a huge battle and lost
    thousands of Dollars paid in support subscriptions to Dell only to have
    them knock me back each time I need support.

    This does not reflect badly on Red Hat they have helped me heaps.

    If someone lets me know of success stories with someone else (like IBM
    or HP ie first tier vendors) for RH or Suse please let me know.

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Jun 22, 2005

  3. Bruce Sinclair

    Chris Hope Guest

    thing2 wrote:

    > forget it.
    >
    > Dell will not support RHAS2.1/3/4 in NZ.
    >
    > I suggest you try another vendor.......I have had a huge battle and
    > lost thousands of Dollars paid in support subscriptions to Dell only
    > to have them knock me back each time I need support.
    >
    > This does not reflect badly on Red Hat they have helped me heaps.
    >
    > If someone lets me know of success stories with someone else (like IBM
    > or HP ie first tier vendors) for RH or Suse please let me know.

    Cue Roger making some comment about "Lunix" and/or Dell :)

    Chris Hope, Jun 22, 2005
  4. In article <>, thing2 <> wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <>, thing2 <>

    > wrote:
    >>>forget it.
    >>>
    >>>Dell will not support RHAS2.1/3/4 in NZ.

    >> Dell won't supply an AMD chip either ... or wouldn't a couple of years ago.
    >> That said ...

    >>>I suggest you try another vendor.......I have had a huge battle and lost
    >>>thousands of Dollars paid in support subscriptions to Dell only to have
    >>>them knock me back each time I need support.
    >>>
    >>>This does not reflect badly on Red Hat they have helped me heaps.

    >> Why would a hardware seller support an OS ? Isn't that the job of the OS
    >> supplier ?

    >Dell supplied the RHAS3 OS with the server. We buy it like that to get a
    >one stop call up shop, at least that was the theory and what we were told.

    ... but this would not have been so for windows either would it ? .. or are
    you suggesting it would ? If so, why would you think that ? Have you dealt
    with dell before or is this the first time ? - they might just "be like
    this" ... I have heard stories :)

    >I have Dell gold support so was expecting Dell to escalate it to redhat
    >if they could not fix it themselves, Dell tell me they dont have the
    >capability even though they have taken the $s for 12+months.
    >So Im really p*ssed with them.........

    Sounds like great marketing ... and (perhaps) a poor intiial purchasing
    decision ? :)

    >I am now looking at renewing the licences with rh direct.

    Let us know how they are to deal with ... could be interesting :)

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 22, 2005
  5. Bruce Sinclair

    thing2 Guest

    thing2, Jun 22, 2005
  6. In article <>, thing2 <> wrote:
    (snip)
    >> .. but this would not have been so for windows either would it ? .. or are
    >> you suggesting it would ? If so, why would you think that ? Have you dealt
    >> with dell before or is this the first time ? - they might just "be like
    >> this" ... I have heard stories :)

    >Dell have windows people, our windows support is fair....
    >
    >I have been trying to deal with dell over the last 10 months and got no
    >where.
    >
    >I didnt think Dell had any RH capability in NZ or AP at least from the
    >way they were going on, and guess what they just admitted it.

    I didn't think dell had anyone in NZ either. Has this changed from a year or
    three ago ?
    IME, any "service" I have had from australia has been .. well ... lacking
    would be the polite version :)

    >>>I have Dell gold support so was expecting Dell to escalate it to redhat
    >>>if they could not fix it themselves, Dell tell me they dont have the
    >>>capability even though they have taken the $s for 12+months.
    >>>So Im really p*ssed with them.........

    >> Sounds like great marketing ... and (perhaps) a poor intiial purchasing
    >> decision ? :)

    >Was not mine to make, and Oracle 9i raq was only certified on RH, and
    >Novel didnt onw Suse at the time.

    :)

    >>>I am now looking at renewing the licences with rh direct.

    >> Let us know how they are to deal with ... could be interesting :)

    >So far RH have been very good.

    Thanks

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 22, 2005
  7. Bruce Sinclair

    thing2 Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <>, thing2 <> wrote:
    >
    >>Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >>>Dell won't supply an AMD chip either ... or wouldn't a couple of years ago.
    >>>That said ...

    >>>Why would a hardware seller support an OS ? Isn't that the job of the OS
    >>>supplier ?

    >>Dell supplied the RHAS3 OS with the server. We buy it like that to get a
    >>one stop call up shop, at least that was the theory and what we were told.

    > .. but this would not have been so for windows either would it ? .. or are
    > you suggesting it would ? If so, why would you think that ? Have you dealt
    > with dell before or is this the first time ? - they might just "be like
    > this" ... I have heard stories :)

    Dell have windows people, our windows support is fair....

    I have been trying to deal with dell over the last 10 months and got no
    where.

    I didnt think Dell had any RH capability in NZ or AP at least from the
    way they were going on, and guess what they just admitted it.

    >>I have Dell gold support so was expecting Dell to escalate it to redhat
    >>if they could not fix it themselves, Dell tell me they dont have the
    >>capability even though they have taken the $s for 12+months.
    >>So Im really p*ssed with them.........

    > Sounds like great marketing ... and (perhaps) a poor intiial purchasing
    > decision ? :)

    Was not mine to make, and Oracle 9i raq was only certified on RH, and
    Novel didnt onw Suse at the time.

    >>I am now looking at renewing the licences with rh direct.

    > Let us know how they are to deal with ... could be interesting :)
    >

    > Bruce

    So far RH have been very good.

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Jun 22, 2005
  8. Bruce Sinclair

    Rob J Guest

    In article <aL1ue.9273$> in nz.comp on Tue, 21
    Jun 2005 22:52:38 GMT, Bruce Sinclair
    <> says...
    > In article <>, thing2 <> wrote:
    > >forget it.
    > >
    > >Dell will not support RHAS2.1/3/4 in NZ.

    > Dell won't supply an AMD chip either ... or wouldn't a couple of years ago.
    > That said ...
    >
    > >I suggest you try another vendor.......I have had a huge battle and lost
    > >thousands of Dollars paid in support subscriptions to Dell only to have
    > >them knock me back each time I need support.
    > >
    > >This does not reflect badly on Red Hat they have helped me heaps.

    > Why would a hardware seller support an OS ? Isn't that the job of the OS
    > supplier ?

    Don't you know anything about OEM licensing?

    Rob J, Jun 22, 2005
  9. Bruce Sinclair

    thing Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    8><------

    ..

    >>I didnt think Dell had any RH capability in NZ or AP at least from the
    >>way they were going on, and guess what they just admitted it.

    > I didn't think dell had anyone in NZ either. Has this changed from a year or
    > three ago ?
    > IME, any "service" I have had from australia has been .. well ... lacking
    > would be the polite version :)

    In Wellington at least Dell use Unisys, the Unisys guys have been really
    good for hardware, Dell would be down there with HP/Compaq otherwise.

    While we get screwed for support costs by Sun they are the definate
    market leader in support (when you incl hardware and software), no one
    else comes close. RH do seem to have the same attitude....time will tell.

    We are looking at maybe moving to IBM hardware 2006/7 though whether
    that will be any better than Dell remains to be seen, I suspect not from
    what I have heard.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jun 22, 2005
  10. In article <>, Rob J <> wrote:
    >In article <aL1ue.9273$> in nz.comp on Tue, 21
    >Jun 2005 22:52:38 GMT, Bruce Sinclair
    ><> says...
    >> In article <>, thing2 <>

    > wrote:
    >> >forget it.
    >> >
    >> >Dell will not support RHAS2.1/3/4 in NZ.

    >> Dell won't supply an AMD chip either ... or wouldn't a couple of years ago.
    >> That said ...
    >>
    >> >I suggest you try another vendor.......I have had a huge battle and lost
    >> >thousands of Dollars paid in support subscriptions to Dell only to have
    >> >them knock me back each time I need support.
    >> >
    >> >This does not reflect badly on Red Hat they have helped me heaps.

    >> Why would a hardware seller support an OS ? Isn't that the job of the OS
    >> supplier ?

    >Don't you know anything about OEM licensing?

    Sure ... I know they say they support it ... but IME they hope that they
    will never need to :)

    Many vendors (most ?) simply lack the skills or the will.
    TO be fair, my view is very coloured by early microsoft support ... or what
    passed for it back then (the tech guys didn't have email addresses ! :) ).

    Bruce

    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)