Thinking about VOIP - How's Sunrocket?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by ohaya, Oct 20, 2005.

  1. ohaya

    ohaya Guest

    Hi,

    We currently have cablemodem service (Cox) with decent speeds (5Mbps
    down/512Kbps up), and I'm looking into signing up with a VOIP service
    because one of my sons uses a lot of long-distance (we're in VA). We
    have cellular phones with decent/unlimited long-distance, but my home
    just happens to be in a pretty bad spot signal-wise, and thus thinking
    about VOIP. We'll keep the landline (Verizon), and he (son) will use
    the VOIP for long-distance mainly.

    We currently have an older Netgear NAT router (an FR114 or RP114 or
    something like that), with a bunch of machines scattered throughout the
    house. I also have an old Lucent wireless AP running off of the router.

    Anyway, that's the current network we have.

    So, I've been looking around, and it seems like Sunrocket has a pretty
    good deal, with the TA and two Uniden cordless phones for about
    $25/month. Since this would be our 1st venture into VOIP, I want to
    minimize the risk, i.e., cancel if "things go down the tube"
    service-wise :)...

    I've been doing some research, and I noticed that Sunrocket had some
    problems in about mid-September, but it seems like generally they're
    service is pretty ok, so I'm looking for some feedback before we "pull
    the trigger".

    Also, I'm curious about one other thing besides the service. The Uniden
    phones they're providing as part of the deal looks like the same ones we
    have now (got from Costco). Will we have any problems running the
    phones from Sunrocket with our current handsets (which I want to
    continue to use on the landline)?

    Thanks,
    Jim
    ohaya, Oct 20, 2005

  2. ohaya

    Guest

    Quick search found this review at voxilla
    http://voxilla.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-2824-highlight-uniden.html

    nothing specific on the phones themselves, but on the voxilla site
    mentioned in the review post is a great comparison tool for VoIP
    services, nearly every service I've heard of..
    http://voxilla.com/compare/compare.php?typeid=1&mode=type

    Also in the review mentioned above is mention of discount codes,
    specific codes for saving money on monthlys and activation for
    different services can be had her, as you follow through to the order
    pages the savings codes for all the services are already in place...
    http://www.telebay.com/allcomm/voip.html

    > I've been doing some research, and I noticed that Sunrocket had some
    > problems in about mid-September, but it seems like generally they're
    > service is pretty ok, so I'm looking for some feedback before we "pull
    > the trigger".
    >
    > Also, I'm curious about one other thing besides the service. The Uniden
    > phones they're providing as part of the deal looks like the same ones we
    > have now (got from Costco). Will we have any problems running the
    > phones from Sunrocket with our current handsets (which I want to
    > continue to use on the landline)?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim
    , Oct 20, 2005

  3. ohaya

    Bob Alan Guest

    I've had Sunrocket (SR) for a few months. Before I was aware that many of
    the busy signals I was getting were SR caused, I really was pleased with
    their service. An example of problem - if I call my wife at here workplace
    the call should always go thru, either to her or to her voice mail. When I
    use my SR phone, often the I get a busy signal. Notice the problem most
    often late in afternoon and into early evening.

    Bob Alan, Oct 20, 2005