    2. I own 2 older Panasonic Replay units (like Tivo) that dial out and
    download channel guides each night...no option to use broadband. Will
    these units still be able to dial out if I got VOIP?

    The Other Mike, Dec 3, 2005

  2. The Other Mike

    Marc Popek Guest

    PSTN AND VOIP CPMBINED Re: Thinking about voip...a couple of questions

    Perhaps you should keep at LEAST ONE PSTN LINE CONNECTIN. AND USAE A CLT
    SWITCH HERE, TO AUTO SWITCH AND ROUTE BETWEEN THE TWO LINE SOUCES?

    marc

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5835706677&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

    Marc Popek, Dec 4, 2005

  3. Re: PSTN AND VOIP CPMBINED Re: Thinking about voip...a couple of questions

    So then I'm taking this to mean that the answer for both 1 and 2 is no
    unless I keep my existing local service and add this switch. Correct?

    The Other Mike, Dec 4, 2005
  4. Re: PSTN AND VOIP CPMBINED Re: Thinking about voip...a couple ofquestions

    "Marc Popek" <> writes:
    > Perhaps you should keep at LEAST ONE PSTN LINE CONNECTIN. AND USAE A CLT
    > SWITCH HERE, TO AUTO SWITCH AND ROUTE BETWEEN THE TWO LINE SOUCES?

    > "The Other Mike" <> wrote in message
    >> Looking at signing up with SunRocket for VOIP but have 2 concerns.
    >> 1. Will my ADT alarm still work? I know the alarm itself will but is
    >> there a way to still have it contact ADT when there's an issue?

    Why wouldn't he just want to plug the alarm into the outside line?

    -wolfgang
    Direct SIP URL Dialing: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/phonedirectory.html

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Dec 4, 2005
  5. The Other Mike

    Vox Humana Guest

    Re: PSTN AND VOIP CPMBINED Re: Thinking about voip...a couple of questions

    "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
    <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > "Marc Popek" <> writes:
    > > Perhaps you should keep at LEAST ONE PSTN LINE CONNECTIN. AND USAE A CLT
    > > SWITCH HERE, TO AUTO SWITCH AND ROUTE BETWEEN THE TWO LINE SOUCES?

    > > "The Other Mike" <> wrote in message
    > >> Looking at signing up with SunRocket for VOIP but have 2 concerns.
    > >> 1. Will my ADT alarm still work? I know the alarm itself will but is
    > >> there a way to still have it contact ADT when there's an issue?

    > Why wouldn't he just want to plug the alarm into the outside line?

    Most alarms have a modem that transmit the data to the central office. I
    don't know how reliable a modem is over VOIP.

    Vox Humana, Dec 5, 2005
  6. Re: PSTN AND VOIP CPMBINED Re: Thinking about voip...a couple ofquestions

    "Vox Humana" <> writes:
    > Most alarms have a modem that transmit the data to the central office. I
    > don't know how reliable a modem is over VOIP.

    I agree. The voip line is a bit of a crap shoot with data over it.
    The one thing that may help is that the alarm modems are downright
    ancient and only transmit a few bytes of data. Compared to faxes or
    modern v.92 modems, I'd give the alarms a lot higher probability of
    making it out.

    Of course, there are many more things to go wrong in a voip system.

    (My objection to the 2-line -> 1-line Radio-Shack device was that it
    didn't solve the stated problem. Mixing the two lines doesn't help in
    getting the alarm signal out. Personally I'd just keep the pots line
    but go for the cheapest pay-by-the-minute billing plan and hook the
    alarm to that.)

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Dec 5, 2005
  7. The Other Mike

    Vox Humana Guest

    Re: PSTN AND VOIP CPMBINED Re: Thinking about voip...a couple of questions

    "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
    <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > "Vox Humana" <> writes:
    > > Most alarms have a modem that transmit the data to the central office.

    > > don't know how reliable a modem is over VOIP.

    > I agree. The voip line is a bit of a crap shoot with data over it.
    > The one thing that may help is that the alarm modems are downright
    > ancient and only transmit a few bytes of data. Compared to faxes or
    > modern v.92 modems, I'd give the alarms a lot higher probability of
    > making it out.
    >
    > Of course, there are many more things to go wrong in a voip system.
    >
    > (My objection to the 2-line -> 1-line Radio-Shack device was that it
    > didn't solve the stated problem. Mixing the two lines doesn't help in
    > getting the alarm signal out. Personally I'd just keep the pots line
    > but go for the cheapest pay-by-the-minute billing plan and hook the
    > alarm to that.)

    I wish the phone company would offer a rally cheap "life line" service for a
    few dollars a month. Unfortunately it is an all-or-nothing situation here.
    They were nasty when I wanted to port my number to the VOIP provider, but
    they offered no competitive alternative. All things considered, they should
    offer some minimal service to try to retain customers. I think that Time
    Warner is really snatching their customers, both for VOIP and internet, even
    though TW's VOIP price is insanely expensive.

    As for the combine-a-line device, it has its problems. I guess I didn't
    fully understand how it worked when I bought one from Ebay. I does route
    the call for either port on my ATA to my common phone line which rings all
    the phones in my house. The problem is that the default line becomes which
    ever line someone last called in on. I had my local line ported to one
    service and bought an out-of-town DID from another provider so relatives in
    another city could call me without paying long distance fees. Each is set-up
    on a different port on the ATA. I hadn't intended to dial out on the
    out-of-town line, but I had to buy minutes from both companies because I
    never know which line will be selected. The switch is in the basement so it
    isn't convenient to run up and down steps to change the switch to the line I
    prefer to call out on.

    Vox Humana, Dec 5, 2005
  8. Re: PSTN AND VOIP CPMBINED Re: Thinking about voip...a couple ofquestions

    "Vox Humana" <> writes:
    > I wish the phone company would offer a rally cheap "life line" service for a
    > few dollars a month. Unfortunately it is an all-or-nothing situation here.
    > They were nasty when I wanted to port my number to the VOIP provider, but
    > they offered no competitive alternative. All things considered, they should
    > offer some minimal service to try to retain customers. I think that Time
    > Warner is really snatching their customers, both for VOIP and internet, even
    > though TW's VOIP price is insanely expensive.

    I read an interesting blurb about a similar problem IBM had with
    respect to their big-iron customers when PC's started eating into
    their profits. The former IBM big-wig explained that they were
    essentially trapped by their customers. If they had too compelling of
    a low-price offering, they'd risk turning lucrative high-paying
    customers into lower-paying customers. They basically decided to ride
    the price-curve down by reluctantly following gross pricing trends,
    but always careful that they didn't accidently offer too good of a
    low-price item or service. I wonder if the Bell's aren't in the same
    boat with respect to the upstarts with their voip offerings.

    > As for the combine-a-line device, it has its problems. I guess I didn't
    > fully understand how it worked when I bought one from Ebay. I does route
    > the call for either port on my ATA to my common phone line which rings all
    > the phones in my house. The problem is that the default line becomes which
    > ever line someone last called in on. I had my local line ported to one
    > service and bought an out-of-town DID from another provider so relatives in
    > another city could call me without paying long distance fees. Each is set-up
    > on a different port on the ATA. I hadn't intended to dial out on the
    > out-of-town line, but I had to buy minutes from both companies because I
    > never know which line will be selected. The switch is in the basement so it
    > isn't convenient to run up and down steps to change the switch to the line I
    > prefer to call out on.

    Hmm. The fact that it effectively selects a random line for the
    outgoing call sounds like a serious flaw. The one I have is an old
    Radio Shack unit with three buttons on the top. Two of them are
    "radio" type buttons. When you push one the other pops up. This
    selects the line that is used for outgoing calls. The third button is
    a toggle that allow one to turn the unit on and off. If off, only the
    line selected by the radio buttons is connected. When on whichever
    line rings is routed to the phone. The bottom says it is a "Duofone
    two-line auto controller, Radio Shack cat no. 43-381." This thing is
    now 20 years old, but perhaps some digging onGoogle or ebay can turn
    up one of these.) Hmm. There seem to be a few hits for it. This
    shop has two of them: http://barclayent.com/misc1.htm

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Dec 5, 2005
  9. The Other Mike

    Marc Popek Guest

    Re: PSTN AND VOIP CPMBINED Re: Thinking about voip...a couple of questions

    the reliability of the PSTN ( plain ole phone crap) is higher and surer than
    voip by eons. the pstn is battery powered by a huge organization, eager to
    keep the pstn running and billing.. to get voip, you need :

    power for computer
    a booted computer
    a voip modem
    telephone handset.

    for pots pstn phone you need to pat $$ each month for a live independent set
    of wires and a switch in town. but for security, for real, if you want
    response you need a pstn.....first not voip,, an a back up plan "B"... after
    that you need C D & E all at once..
    best regards,

    marc

    > So then I'm taking this to mean that the answer for both 1 and 2 is no
    > unless I keep my existing local service and add this switch. Correct?
    >
    > On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 20:01:29 GMT, "Marc Popek" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Perhaps you should keep at LEAST ONE PSTN LINE CONNECTIN. AND USAE A CLT
    > >SWITCH HERE, TO AUTO SWITCH AND ROUTE BETWEEN THE TWO LINE SOUCES?
    > >

    > >marc
    > >

    >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5835706677&rd=1&sspagena

    me=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

    Marc Popek, Dec 6, 2005
  10. The Other Mike

    Marc Popek Guest

    Re: PSTN AND VOIP CPMBINED Re: Thinking about voip...a couple of questions

    vox,

    what you say is true about the combine-a-line, the outbound is not defaulted
    to a specific line out for outbound...

    Upgrade is planned to address this issue........

    Marc Popek

    CLT inventor

    Marc Popek, Dec 6, 2005
  11. The Other Mike

    Vox Humana Guest

    "Marc Popek" <> wrote in message
    > vox,
    >
    > what you say is true about the combine-a-line, the outbound is not

    defaulted
    > to a specific line out for outbound...
    >
    > Upgrade is planned to address this issue........

    I would like to see a default setting and the ability to select a line
    remotely. For instance, it would be nice to be able to press the * or #
    button and change from one line to the other. The device did allow me to
    use all my single line phones with both ports on my ATA, it just didn't
    function the way I assumed it would.

    Vox Humana, Dec 6, 2005
  12. The Other Mike

    LVMarc Guest

    The Other Mike wrote:
    > So then I'm taking this to mean that the answer for both 1 and 2 is no
    > unless I keep my existing local service and add this switch. Correct?
    >
    > On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 20:01:29 GMT, "Marc Popek" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Perhaps you should keep at LEAST ONE PSTN LINE CONNECTIN. AND USAE A CLT
    >>SWITCH HERE, TO AUTO SWITCH AND ROUTE BETWEEN THE TWO LINE SOUCES?
    >>

    >>marc
    >>
    >>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5835706677&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1
    >>
    >>"The Other Mike" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Looking at signing up with SunRocket for VOIP but have 2 concerns.
    >>>
    >>>1. Will my ADT alarm still work? I know the alarm itself will but is
    >>>there a way to still have it contact ADT when there's an issue?
    >>>
    >>>2. I own 2 older Panasonic Replay units (like Tivo) that dial out and
    >>>download channel guides each night...no option to use broadband. Will
    >>>these units still be able to dial out if I got VOIP?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...28799587&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1new
    shippment

    COMBINE-A-LINE …… IMAGINE

    ….1=2

    Ever wish you could use your favorite single-line telephone, answering
    machine, or PC Modem on TWO phone lines?…. Automatically?

    OR

    How about joining your VOIP port and the plain old (PSTN) telephone
    jack into a single handset?

    OR

    How about joining TWO VOIP ports into a single handset, answering
    machine, or PC Modem?

    USE a CLT to join a card card acceptor and your single line telephone as
    well!

    OR

    see if anybody picks-up, on another line trunk, after you are already
    in a call??? A visual real-time security feedback feature!

    Combine-A-Line (CLT) allows two separate calls from two different lines
    to be directed to your single line telephone equipment or PC.
    Centralizing and PROTECTING (SURGE PROTECTION INSIDE) your communication
    equipment for your home office or for the family

    LVMarc, Sep 18, 2006