    http://brycetest.3dart4u.com (Bryce Speed Test)
    =====================
    Remove nospam in mail address when mailing me
    TheCroW, Dec 22, 2006

  2. TheCroW

    Tony Raven Guest

    TheCroW wrote on 22/12/2006 14:16 +0100:
    > Okay, I am thinking about to use ThunderBird, but ... I am a real old school
    > OE user. Any culture shock to be expected? ;-)

    Yes the shock as the scales fall away from your eyes ;-)

    Seriously I have not regretted the same switch. It takes a bit of time
    ot learn where things are and to find any extensions you want to do
    specific tasks but once you have got up the learning curve a bit you
    won't look back.

    > Is there a feature in TB that imports OE settings like mailadresses and
    > adressbook?

    Yes. And all your historical mail.

    --
    Tony

    "...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
    wildly inaccurate..."
    Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    Tony Raven, Dec 22, 2006

  3. TheCroW wrote:
    > Okay, I am thinking about to use ThunderBird, but ... I am a real old school
    > OE user. Any culture shock to be expected? ;-)
    > Is there a feature in TB that imports OE settings like mailadresses and
    > adressbook?

    Well, it is not OE. I know that's obvious, but you will find that while
    things work, not everything works as it did in OE. I haven't used OE
    since June 2002, when Mozilla Suite 1.0 was released, so I can't be
    specific about differences, but you will encounter them.

    TB can either use a Global Inbox, similar to OE's behavior of storing
    all mail for all accounts in Local Folders, or have separate folders set
    up for each account, my personal choice. TB can import mail,
    addressbooks and other settings from OE.

    Rather then going on here, take a look at this article:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Getting_started_with_Thunderbird

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 22, 2006
  4. TheCroW wrote:
    > Okay, I am thinking about to use ThunderBird, but ... I am a real old school
    > OE user. Any culture shock to be expected? ;-)
    > Is there a feature in TB that imports OE settings like mailadresses and
    > adressbook?

    I upgraded from Outlook Express to TB 1.5 and I've never looked back.
    Especially if you have more than one email account and need to keep
    things neat.

    I'm currently running 2.0b1 without much issue, but it is a beta so if
    you go that route you may have small issues. There's alot of new stuff
    in the beta though.

    Foolishly I did try Opera once, for several months. It was judged and
    found wanting.

    All in all, I think TB is the best way to go. Especially with all the
    holes that Outlook Express has.. In fact isn't MS canning OE in favor of
    their LIVE stuff in Vista? No clue.. Vista scares me.. Sounds ALOT like
    bloatware.. I'll stick with 98SE and XP.. ;)
    Scott Hildenbrand, Dec 22, 2006
  5. TheCroW

    Guest

    TheCroW wrote:
    > Okay, I am thinking about to use ThunderBird, but ... I am a real old school
    > OE user. Any culture shock to be expected? ;-)
    > Is there a feature in TB that imports OE settings like mailadresses and
    > adressbook?
    >
    > --
    > Menno

    a lot of people told you about their experiences in moving over to TB,
    but they didn't tell you something important. Yes, TB imports OE
    settings. If it didn't do so when you first installed and started TB
    up, then click on Tools, Import and follow the instructions.
    , Dec 22, 2006
  6. TheCroW

    Q Guest

    I wouldn't be without FF, but TB is no great shakes in my opinion. You won't
    have a culture shock, you'll be underwhelmed.

    Q.
    Q, Dec 23, 2006
  7. TheCroW

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Q wrote:
    > I wouldn't be without FF, but TB is no great shakes in my opinion. You won't
    > have a culture shock, you'll be underwhelmed.

    Specifics, please. You are free to post random nonsense but, if you
    actually want you or your posts to be given credence, speak at length
    and with forethought. Or just spare us the spurious nonsense.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Dec 23, 2006
  8. Q wrote:
    > I wouldn't be without FF, but TB is no great shakes in my opinion. You won't
    > have a culture shock, you'll be underwhelmed.
    >
    > Q.

    I must disagree here. TB is a very worthy product, and, as a
    mail/news/rss combination client, makes an outstanding substitute for
    OE, for personal use.

    When used in a business context, as a replacement for Outlook, it has
    more holes.

    I used OE for a couple of years, and hated every minute of it. When I
    migrated to Moz 1.0, I found the mail client of your dreams.

    I was very. very dissatisfied with OE's behavior. If you are happy with
    it, great, but it would seem that the OP is clearly looking for other
    alternatives.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 23, 2006
  9. TheCroW

    GFS Guest

    I like TB immensely.

    1 Learned to hate Outlooks huge data file and all that information that
    was lost in one fell swoop.

    2 The sheer bulk and slow loading of the Bloated Outlook application.

    I tried Becky and The Bat! of which both were dogged by the creators
    lack of open mindedness to other ideas.

    Thunderbird was on and off of my computer several times over the years
    and has finally stuck

    The hardest thing to get past is having to keep up contacts in both
    Thunderbird and Outlook because several other applications I use like to
    share the Outlook Address book and one that requires the MAPI link to
    use that functionality.

    I must say this!!! Don't judge Thunderbird in a day, a week or even a
    month until you have looked at ALL the Add-ons and extensions then
    tweaked the options. If you don't personalize it you do both it and
    yourself an injustice.

    On a final note though, you will find that HTML Emails don't import well
    from Outlook to Thunderbird, so I would import them but keep the old
    stuff in both places.

    GFS, Dec 23, 2006
  10. TheCroW

    Jim S Guest

    On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 00:29:16 -0000, Q wrote:

    > I wouldn't be without FF, but TB is no great shakes in my opinion. You won't
    > have a culture shock, you'll be underwhelmed.
    >
    > Q.

    I think it may be horses for courses.
    On a home computer with no great need for mailmerging and other office
    fripperies then TB is excellent. The junk mail filtering alone makes it
    worth the effort.
    However it is not designed with the bells and whistles of an office
    application and so is bound to fall short.
    I use it 95% of the time, but do not let it remove mail from the server so
    they are there when I need to go to Outlook (NEVER OUTLOOK EXPRESS of
    course).
    The main failing is the inability to 'simply' import mails and addresses
    from TB to Outlook. I suspect this is deliberate and if so is mean spirited
    of the developers.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    Jim S, Dec 23, 2006
  11. TheCroW

    Q Guest

    "GFS" <> wrote in message
    > I like TB immensely.
    >
    > 1 Learned to hate Outlooks huge data file and all that information that
    > was lost in one fell swoop.

    I had Outlook but uninstalled it a long time ago simply because it didn't
    support newsgroups and the office functions aren't needed by me. I use OE
    altho it is basic for sure.

    > 2 The sheer bulk and slow loading of the Bloated Outlook application.
    >
    > I tried Becky and The Bat! of which both were dogged by the creators
    > lack of open mindedness to other ideas.
    >
    > Thunderbird was on and off of my computer several times over the years
    > and has finally stuck

    I will probly try it again at some point in the future.

    > The hardest thing to get past is having to keep up contacts in both
    > Thunderbird and Outlook because several other applications I use like to
    > share the Outlook Address book and one that requires the MAPI link to
    > use that functionality.
    >
    > I must say this!!! Don't judge Thunderbird in a day, a week or even a
    > month until you have looked at ALL the Add-ons and extensions then
    > tweaked the options. If you don't personalize it you do both it and
    > yourself an injustice.

    I had to download webmail addons, then more for yahoomail, googlemail,
    hotmail, then another to get the buttons i wanted, then another to get the
    new mail notifier to appear and stay in my tray. I realise these functions
    aren't essential for everyone but i'd prefer it if they came out of the box.
    TB is billed as somewhere between OE and Outlook in functionality, so in my
    opinion it should have all the function of OE then something extra. Not
    leave me needing addons to do what OE does.

    Q.
    Q, Dec 29, 2006
  12. TheCroW

    Q Guest

    "Jim S" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 00:29:16 -0000, Q wrote:
    >
    > > I wouldn't be without FF, but TB is no great shakes in my opinion. You

    won't
    > > have a culture shock, you'll be underwhelmed.
    > >
    > > Q.

    > I use it 95% of the time, but do not let it remove mail from the server so
    > they are there when I need to go to Outlook (NEVER OUTLOOK EXPRESS of
    > course).

    It was nicking e-mail off the server the whole time i had it. I never did
    find out how to stop it doing that! lol

    > The main failing is the inability to 'simply' import mails and addresses
    > from TB to Outlook. I suspect this is deliberate and if so is mean

    spirited
    > of the developers.

    I wondered why i couldn't do this...

    And yeah it is horses for courses. TB isn't for everyone but i suspect it
    will improve.

    Q.
    Q, Dec 29, 2006
  13. TheCroW

    Q Guest

    "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    > Q wrote:
    > > I wouldn't be without FF, but TB is no great shakes in my opinion. You

    won't
    > > have a culture shock, you'll be underwhelmed.
    > >
    > > Q.
    > >

    > I was very. very dissatisfied with OE's behavior. If you are happy with
    > it, great, but it would seem that the OP is clearly looking for other
    > alternatives.

    Sure for some people it is a great product. I was making the point that i
    think everyone should use FF but that isn't the case with TB. And i think
    that's fair comment. I had to download addons to bring it up to OEs
    functionality, i found bugs that i couldn't fix and i found it difficult to
    configure. This doesn't make TB a bad program, just a work in progress in my
    opinion. I will try it again in a couple of years to see where it is at...

    Q.
    Q, Dec 29, 2006
  14. TheCroW

    Tony Raven Guest

    Q wrote on 29/12/2006 13:42 +0100:

    > I had to download webmail addons, then more for yahoomail, googlemail,
    > hotmail, then another to get the buttons i wanted, then another to get the
    > new mail notifier to appear and stay in my tray. I realise these functions
    > aren't essential for everyone but i'd prefer it if they came out of the box.
    > TB is billed as somewhere between OE and Outlook in functionality, so in my
    > opinion it should have all the function of OE then something extra. Not
    > leave me needing addons to do what OE does.

    I see it as a strength, not a weakness, of FF. With OE you get
    bloatware loaded up with features that are an amalgam of what you and
    everyone else wants, most of which you will never use and all of which
    take up space and slow things down. With FF you add just the features
    you want, no more, no less. And better still many of the features you
    can add just don't exist for OE and you can't add them anyway.

    I, by the way, am very happy without the additional burden of Yahoomail,
    Googlemail or Hotmail features as I use none of them and don't intend to
    either.

    Tony Raven, Dec 29, 2006
  15. TheCroW

    Q Guest

    "Tony Raven" <> wrote in message
    > Q wrote on 29/12/2006 13:42 +0100:
    > >
    > > I had to download webmail addons, then more for yahoomail, googlemail,
    > > hotmail, then another to get the buttons i wanted, then another to get

    the
    > > new mail notifier to appear and stay in my tray. I realise these

    functions
    > > aren't essential for everyone but i'd prefer it if they came out of the

    box.
    > > TB is billed as somewhere between OE and Outlook in functionality, so in

    my
    > > opinion it should have all the function of OE then something extra. Not
    > > leave me needing addons to do what OE does.
    > >

    > I see it as a strength, not a weakness, of FF.

    I'm happy with FF. It does however risk becoming bloated. It wouldn't be a
    bad idea to have a FF 'lite' which stips out much of what they have added in
    recent times. This would be popular on old computers were there are Ram and
    CPU limitations.

    > And better still many of the features you
    > can add just don't exist for OE and you can't add them anyway.

    True. You can do more with TB than OE, but many new users to TB will be
    migrating from OE so making them need addons to get back to OE functionality
    is just going to put people off.

    > I, by the way, am very happy without the additional burden of Yahoomail,
    > Googlemail or Hotmail features as I use none of them and don't intend to
    > either.

    I've had 5 or 6 different ISP's over the last 10 years so using an e-mail
    account from them is pointless cos i'll just lose it the next time i change
    ISP, i don't want to pay for sure, the free offerings from various companies
    are liable to go down or disappear. So i stick with the big companies.

    Q.
    Q, Dec 29, 2006
  16. TheCroW

    Tony Raven Guest

    Q wrote on 29/12/2006 18:17 +0100:

    > I've had 5 or 6 different ISP's over the last 10 years so using an e-mail
    > account from them is pointless cos i'll just lose it the next time i change
    > ISP, i don't want to pay for sure, the free offerings from various companies
    > are liable to go down or disappear. So i stick with the big companies.

    Do what I do. Register your own domain and have it hosted. Then you
    can shift your ISP account around without changing your e-mail or
    website address. A domain and hosting costs next to nothing these days.
    Even if you fall out with the hosting company it is easy enough to
    shift hosting elsewhere with just a short interrupt while the DNS change
    propagates through the system. I find that Yahoo and other big company
    addresses tend to get caught up too often in the spam block lists to be
    reliable. YMMV

    Tony Raven, Dec 29, 2006