    Anyone care to talk me out of this? I know about the display freezing
    during AF, any other reasons to avoid?

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, May 25, 2004

  2. Lisa Horton

    jimkramer Guest

    "Lisa Horton" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Wanting a smaller, snapshot camera to complement my DSLR's. Like the
    > 10X IS zoom, small size, 3.2mp, and being able to recycle my old 128mb
    > CF cards. Not wild about the EVF, but it does seem better than my old
    > Pro90.
    >
    > Anyone care to talk me out of this? I know about the display freezing
    > during AF, any other reasons to avoid?
    >
    > Lisa

    Hi Lisa,

    Why not try a Sony F828 or an F717, they're only a little bigger ;) Just ask
    Al.

    Jim Kramer

    jimkramer, May 26, 2004

  3. Lisa Horton

    Lisa Horton Guest

    jimkramer wrote:

    > "Lisa Horton" <> wrote in message
    > > Wanting a smaller, snapshot camera to complement my DSLR's. Like the
    > > 10X IS zoom, small size, 3.2mp, and being able to recycle my old 128mb
    > > CF cards. Not wild about the EVF, but it does seem better than my old
    > > Pro90.
    > >
    > > Anyone care to talk me out of this? I know about the display freezing
    > > during AF, any other reasons to avoid?
    > >
    > > Lisa

    > Hi Lisa,
    >
    > Why not try a Sony F828 or an F717, they're only a little bigger ;) Just ask
    > Al.

    Silly man, just because Al is beyond apostate doesn't mean I will be :)
    AFAIK, the Sony's aren't 3mp, don't have a 10x zoom, don't have IS,
    don't take CF, and I'm not sure about the movie mode. And, as you point
    out, they're larger.

    Besides, Al should just buy my old D30 and be done with it :)

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, May 26, 2004
  4. Lisa Horton

    > jimkramer wrote:
    > >
    > > "Lisa Horton" <> wrote in message
    > > > Wanting a smaller, snapshot camera to complement my DSLR's. Like the
    > > > 10X IS zoom, small size, 3.2mp, and being able to recycle my old 128mb
    > > > CF cards. Not wild about the EVF, but it does seem better than my old
    > > > Pro90.
    > > >
    > > > Anyone care to talk me out of this? I know about the display freezing
    > > > during AF, any other reasons to avoid?
    > > >
    > > > Lisa

    > > Hi Lisa,
    > >
    > > Why not try a Sony F828 or an F717, they're only a little bigger ;) Just

    ask
    > > Al.

    > Silly man, just because Al is beyond apostate doesn't mean I will be :)
    > AFAIK, the Sony's aren't 3mp, don't have a 10x zoom, don't have IS,
    > don't take CF, and I'm not sure about the movie mode. And, as you point
    > out, they're larger.
    >
    > Besides, Al should just buy my old D30 and be done with it :)
    >
    > Lisa

    I won't tell you what happen to the last woman to call me a "silly man" ;)

    I'm still trying to unload my 717 after the 828 purchase.
    Let's see:
    717 5MP, movie 320x240 30FPS, zoom 35mm equiv. 38-190 5x optical
    828 8MP, movie 640x480 30FPS, zoom 35mm equiv. 28-200 7.1x optical does take
    CF, needs MS pro to do full res movies though, cause CF is just too slow.
    Either of which you can shoot in 3MP if you really want too.

    If you are seriously excited about the IS and the 10X zoom you should
    already know that the DSLR you're shooting and a good lens or tripod will do
    a better job.

    If you want a toy, buy yourself a toy, but make sure you want to play with
    it for more than a day. And promise not to complain when it isn't as good as
    what you're used to.

    I doubt that Al will ever be truly happy with a digital short of a 32bit,
    50MP sensor with no lag and +20EV of latitude, but then I'd have to listen
    to him complain about the 2GB image files. He's addicted to film. But I am
    trying to corrupt him it is just a slow process and I don't have as much
    free money as I want to speed it up.

    Jim Kramer - The Apostate Extraordinaire - Not a handsome devil, just a
    digital one.

    jimkramer, May 26, 2004
  5. Lisa Horton

    Lisa Horton Guest

    jimkramer wrote:

    > "Lisa Horton" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > jimkramer wrote:
    > > >
    > > > "Lisa Horton" <> wrote in message

    > > > Hi Lisa,
    > > >
    > > > Why not try a Sony F828 or an F717, they're only a little bigger ;) Just

    > ask
    > > > Al.

    > > Silly man, just because Al is beyond apostate doesn't mean I will be :)
    > > AFAIK, the Sony's aren't 3mp, don't have a 10x zoom, don't have IS,
    > > don't take CF, and I'm not sure about the movie mode. And, as you point
    > > out, they're larger.
    > >
    > > Besides, Al should just buy my old D30 and be done with it :)
    > >
    > > Lisa

    > I won't tell you what happen to the last woman to call me a "silly man" ;)
    >
    > I'm still trying to unload my 717 after the 828 purchase.
    > Let's see:
    > 717 5MP, movie 320x240 30FPS, zoom 35mm equiv. 38-190 5x optical
    > 828 8MP, movie 640x480 30FPS, zoom 35mm equiv. 28-200 7.1x optical does take
    > CF, needs MS pro to do full res movies though, cause CF is just too slow.
    > Either of which you can shoot in 3MP if you really want too.

    I'm not at all keen on proprietary media. Proprietary batteries I'm
    okay with, the one's I've dealt with have brought the benefit of very
    high capacity. But proprietary media, no thanks. Besides, those are
    both more than a little larger, and at least half again the weight of
    the S1. And do they zoom while taking movies? :)

    > If you are seriously excited about the IS and the 10X zoom you should
    > already know that the DSLR you're shooting and a good lens or tripod will do
    > a better job.

    Well now that depends on how you define "better", which to me changes
    with the situation :) When I'm going to ride roller coasters, a $500
    camera that fits in my purse is better than any of my SLR's with any of
    my lenses, because it's more expendable. What I'm excited about is an
    almost pocket camera with a 10X zoom and IS :)

    > If you want a toy, buy yourself a toy, but make sure you want to play with
    > it for more than a day. And promise not to complain when it isn't as good as
    > what you're used to.

    Fortunately though, I don't expect it to be as good as what I'm used
    to. I didn't want a toy, exactly, I wanted a tiny and cheaper
    alternative, that takes batteries and media that I already have. I'm
    trying to keep my expectations reasonable, and it's not like it's my
    main camera. I do promise though, not to complain if it's results are
    not as good as what I'm used to from my DSLRs :)

    > I doubt that Al will ever be truly happy with a digital short of a 32bit,
    > 50MP sensor with no lag and +20EV of latitude, but then I'd have to listen
    > to him complain about the 2GB image files. He's addicted to film. But I am
    > trying to corrupt him it is just a slow process and I don't have as much
    > free money as I want to speed it up.
    >
    > Jim Kramer - The Apostate Extraordinaire - Not a handsome devil, just a
    > digital one.

    Not to worry Jim, this time I'm well aware of the limitations of the
    camera, and don't expect it to be something other than what it is. It's
    the (perhaps) ultimate 3.2 MP snapshot camera, at least currently :)

    OTOH, when I bought a Pro90IS hoping it would be almost a D30, I was
    sorely disappointed, as it was not at all "almost a D30". Lesson
    learned, successor bought :)

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, May 27, 2004