Think your Wireless Network is Secure? Think Again.

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Careers, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Careers

    Careers Guest

    The greatest problem with 802.11 security is that it is usually not
    implemented properly.

    http://www.safeit.ca/wireless.htm

    Check it out! Keep your Private network Private.

    --
    Wojtek
    Network Security Consultant

    ---

    Careers, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Careers

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    very true. but that goes without saying for almost anything. if it ain't
    implemented properly, it's not very secure is it.

    "Careers" <> wrote in news:%ZDRb.308$SY3.65565
    @read2.cgocable.net:

    > The greatest problem with 802.11 security is that it is usually not
    > implemented properly.
    >

    > http://www.safeit.ca/wireless.htm
    >
    > Check it out! Keep your Private network Private.

    --
    Rowdy Yates
    I am Against-TCPA
    http://www.againsttcpa.com

    Rowdy Yates, Jan 28, 2004

  3. Careers

    Ford Prefect Guest

    Careers wrote:
    > The greatest problem with 802.11 security is that it is usually not
    > implemented properly.

    You seem to have an acute grasp of the patently obvious.

    > http://www.safeit.ca/wireless.htm
    >
    > Check it out! Keep your Private network Private.

    If your network security suggestions are as uselss as your information
    privacy ramblings, I'll look else where.

    Ford Prefect, Jan 28, 2004
  4. Careers

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:09:37 -0500, "Careers"
    <> wrote:

    >The greatest problem with 802.11 security is that it is usually not
    >implemented properly.

    Spamming newsgroups will not generate sales leads.

    Where is Canada anyway? its not part of the EU

    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Jan 28, 2004
  5. "Careers" <> wrote

    No, it is most certainly not.

    Replace "certified" with "alleged to be"

    Len Agoado

    Leonard Agoado, Jan 28, 2004
  6. Actually anything using 801.11x or WEP is not secure. WEP can be broken in
    minutes, and 11.x is vulnerable to replay attacks.

    Only secure solution is one that forces a VPN between the client and the AP
    or if you want setup the VPN between the client and a VPN device on the
    network.

    Watchgard and Sonicwall both offer these devices. Others may have now as
    well. I like the Sonicwall better because of some of the extra features
    they have.

    --
    Regards,

    Lawrence A. Rodis
    President
    Strategic Resource Consulting Group L.L.C.
    702-221-6274

    www.strategicresource.com

    Lawrence Rodis, Jan 28, 2004
  7. Perhaps WEP is capable of being broken in minutes;
    Individuals should educated themselves when buying a wireless router,
    and fully learn all the capabilities of such a device before using it.

    Now with 256bit encryption; HEX
    MAC Filters properly enabled;
    LAN Ping Discarded, and ALL un-used modes disabled (Gaming, VPN)

    Chances of someone braking in your wireless network is greatly
    reduced. I am still waiting to see the day when someone cracks mine.

    Roaming Penguin, Jan 30, 2004
  8. Careers

    Ben Measures Guest

    Roaming Penguin wrote:
    > Chances of someone braking in your wireless network is greatly
    > reduced. I am still waiting to see the day when someone cracks mine.

    If your cracker is good you won't ;)

    --
    Ben M.

    What are Software Patents for?