Think twice before buying an iPod

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rasputinnz666, Dec 6, 2006.

  1. I have discovered (and I'm sure others have also at some point) a major
    issue for anybody thinking about buying an iPod in New Zealand or
    Australia - and one must wonder, in other parts of the world
    too.

    Apple have told me, after a phone call that went to India, Australia and
    back to New Zealand, that my son's iPod that I spent between $700-$750
    for, is out of warranty and to repair it would cost more than the iPod is
    worth. He had his iPod for 11 months when it failed. They replaced it. Very
    nice we thought at the time. 6 Months later the replacement iPod failed.

    Being out of warranty I was prepared to see if it was repairable, now I will
    digress slightly at this point and try and explain a little thing in New
    Zealand
    call the Consumer's Guarantees Act. Under this act warranty's basically
    don't count. If you are sold an item in New Zealand the Act says the product
    must be able to perform it's intended use and last a reasonable length of
    time. My argument was that 14 months for such an expensive and common
    consumer item was NOT a reasonable length of time. Roughly $50 a month if
    you tossed it out.

    My question to Apple was "Can it be repaired?" Initially they said it was a
    sealed unit and if faulty under warranty, it is replaced. So I said "What
    about if it's out of warranty?". I was told to Google and find a repairer,
    because they are out there. "An Apple approved/affiliated repairer?", I
    asked. "No" was the reply.

    Now I don't know about you but if I buy an expensive "every day" item I'd
    prefer to have it repaired by a manufacturer's authorised repairer. So I
    went further into my investigation mode and after about an hour and a half
    here is what I learned:

    - If your iPod fails during warranty it is replaced because it is classed as
    a "sealed unit item". Your replacement is given a 90 day warranty - not sure
    if that's on top of the existing warranty
    if it hasn't run out.

    - Apple if pushed said they can take back your failed iPod and replace it
    with a repaired iPod with a warranty BUT it would cost more than a new
    iPod - yes that's what they said!

    - Apple if pushed further will take back your iPod for repair - BUT it will
    almost certainly cost you more than a new iPod.

    Bottom line - if you live in New Zealand or Australia - and maybe
    everywhere else, Apple will not offer you a repair service for their product
    that is realistic or affordable.

    When asked about the Consumer Guarantees Act they offered no comment and if
    I wanted to pursue that I could - I said perhaps I should try and find other
    people in this position and join forces to take Apple to court. I'm
    pondering that option.

    Would you advise anybody to buy a ticket in what is effectively the iPod
    lottery? You pay your money and hope for the best. How on Earth are they the
    market leader?????

    Imagine this attitude in other market segments - Fisher and Paykel for
    example.

    And for those of you who say go to the market and try and find someone who
    CAN make it work, I say to you, if I'd known that in the first place I
    wouldn't have bought the thing and if all else fails I may just do that -
    but like the pink shirt - only if I have to.

    Footnote: I went to the retailer who sold me the iPod and explained it all
    to him. He said he had dropped other brands because of this very reason and
    didn't believe me. So he rang himself and after a convoluted game of avoid
    the question, hung up wide eyed with amazement, agreed with me and said he
    would have to seriously reconsider his commitment to the iPod.
    Rasputinnz666, Dec 6, 2006

  2. Rasputinnz666

    Zipper Guest

    Rasputinnz666 wrote:
> [...]
    > lottery? You pay your money and hope for the best. How on Earth are they the
    > market leader?????
    >
    > Imagine this attitude in other market segments - Fisher and Paykel for
    > example.
    >
    > And for those of you who say go to the market and try and find someone who
    > CAN make it work, I say to you, if I'd known that in the first place I
    > wouldn't have bought the thing and if all else fails I may just do that -
    > but like the pink shirt - only if I have to.
    >
    > Footnote: I went to the retailer who sold me the iPod and explained it all
    > to him. He said he had dropped other brands because of this very reason and
    > didn't believe me. So he rang himself and after a convoluted game of avoid
    > the question, hung up wide eyed with amazement, agreed with me and said he
    > would have to seriously reconsider his commitment to the iPod.

    Take them to court, that amount of time is not reasonable for the amount
    spent and that is clearly covered by the consumers guarantees act. The
    consumers institute would agree there also. You could contact them for
    advise also.
    Zipper, Dec 6, 2006

  3. Rasputinnz666

    John Holley Guest

    In article <el5r5o$ceh$>, Rasputinnz666 <> wrote:

    > I have discovered (and I'm sure others have also at some point) a major
    > issue for anybody thinking about buying an iPod in New Zealand or
    > Australia - and one must wonder, in other parts of the world
    > too.
    >
    > Apple have told me, after a phone call that went to India, Australia and
    > back to New Zealand, that my son's iPod that I spent between $700-$750
    > for, is out of warranty and to repair it would cost more than the iPod is
    > worth. He had his iPod for 11 months when it failed. They replaced it. Very
    > nice we thought at the time. 6 Months later the replacement iPod failed.
    >
    > Being out of warranty I was prepared to see if it was repairable, now I will
    > digress slightly at this point and try and explain a little thing in New
    > Zealand
    > call the Consumer's Guarantees Act. Under this act warranty's basically
    > don't count. If you are sold an item in New Zealand the Act says the product
    > must be able to perform it's intended use and last a reasonable length of
    > time. My argument was that 14 months for such an expensive and common
    > consumer item was NOT a reasonable length of time. Roughly $50 a month if
    > you tossed it out.

    Having once worked for them I can tell you you are right in talking
    about the CGA. Just contact Renaissance and say you want the iPod
    fixed.

    I had this argument before I left Renaissance. Basically you can
    expect, under the CGA, to have parts and labour for the 1st year and
    parts for years 2 and 3.

    You don't have to take them to court - just the Small Claims Tribunal.
    See http://www.howtolaw.co.nz/html/ml086.asp

    Cheers

    John
    John Holley, Dec 6, 2006
  4. "John Holley" <> wrote in message
    > In article <el5r5o$ceh$>, Rasputinnz666 <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have discovered (and I'm sure others have also at some point) a major
    >> issue for anybody thinking about buying an iPod in New Zealand or
    >> Australia - and one must wonder, in other parts of the world
    >> too.
    >>
    >> Apple have told me, after a phone call that went to India, Australia and
    >> back to New Zealand, that my son's iPod that I spent between $700-$750
    >> for, is out of warranty and to repair it would cost more than the iPod is
    >> worth. He had his iPod for 11 months when it failed. They replaced it.
    >> Very
    >> nice we thought at the time. 6 Months later the replacement iPod failed.
    >>
    >> Being out of warranty I was prepared to see if it was repairable, now I
    >> will
    >> digress slightly at this point and try and explain a little thing in New
    >> Zealand
    >> call the Consumer's Guarantees Act. Under this act warranty's basically
    >> don't count. If you are sold an item in New Zealand the Act says the
    >> product
    >> must be able to perform it's intended use and last a reasonable length of
    >> time. My argument was that 14 months for such an expensive and common
    >> consumer item was NOT a reasonable length of time. Roughly $50 a month if
    >> you tossed it out.

    > Having once worked for them I can tell you you are right in talking
    > about the CGA. Just contact Renaissance and say you want the iPod
    > fixed.
    >
    > I had this argument before I left Renaissance. Basically you can
    > expect, under the CGA, to have parts and labour for the 1st year and
    > parts for years 2 and 3.
    >
    > You don't have to take them to court - just the Small Claims Tribunal.
    > See http://www.howtolaw.co.nz/html/ml086.asp
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > John

    I started and eventually ended up at Renaissance. Thanks for the small
    claims idea, but maybe a lawyer is needed to really test this.
    Rasputinnz666, Dec 6, 2006
  5. Rasputinnz666

    Guest

    Use the Disputes Tribunal
    http://www.justice.govt.nz/tribunals/disputes_tribunals.html
    I think it costs around $35 to lodge a claim, They cannot bring
    lawyers..

    This sort of run around is legendary with Apple, the failing of Ipod
    Batteries (and inability to open and replace) was another issue they
    took hits on in the States a few years ago.

    Rasputinnz666 wrote:
> [...]
    > lottery? You pay your money and hope for the best. How on Earth are they the
    > market leader?????
    >
    > Imagine this attitude in other market segments - Fisher and Paykel for
    > example.
    >
    > And for those of you who say go to the market and try and find someone who
    > CAN make it work, I say to you, if I'd known that in the first place I
    > wouldn't have bought the thing and if all else fails I may just do that -
    > but like the pink shirt - only if I have to.
    >
    > Footnote: I went to the retailer who sold me the iPod and explained it all
    > to him. He said he had dropped other brands because of this very reason and
    > didn't believe me. So he rang himself and after a convoluted game of avoid
    > the question, hung up wide eyed with amazement, agreed with me and said he
    > would have to seriously reconsider his commitment to the iPod.
    , Dec 6, 2006
  6. Rasputinnz666

    Peter Guest

    Rasputinnz666 wrote:
    > I have discovered (and I'm sure others have also at some point) a major
    > issue for anybody thinking about buying an iPod in New Zealand or
    > Australia - and one must wonder, in other parts of the world
    > too.

    When out shopping for a iPod for teenage son, the shop attendant (at DSE)
    recommended we get just about any other brand than iPod, although that was
    due to the high failure rate, rather than poor customer support cited in
    your story.

    Peter
    Peter, Dec 6, 2006
  7. Rasputinnz666

    whome Guest

    "Rasputinnz666" <> wrote in message

    > "John Holley" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <el5r5o$ceh$>, Rasputinnz666 <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have discovered (and I'm sure others have also at some point) a major
    >>> issue for anybody thinking about buying an iPod in New Zealand or
    >>> Australia - and one must wonder, in other parts of the world
    >>> too.
    >>>
    >>> Apple have told me, after a phone call that went to India, Australia and
    >>> back to New Zealand, that my son's iPod that I spent between $700-$750
    >>> for, is out of warranty and to repair it would cost more than the iPod
    >>> is
    >>> worth. He had his iPod for 11 months when it failed. They replaced it.
    >>> Very
    >>> nice we thought at the time. 6 Months later the replacement iPod failed.
    >>>
    >>> Being out of warranty I was prepared to see if it was repairable, now I
    >>> will
    >>> digress slightly at this point and try and explain a little thing in New
    >>> Zealand
    >>> call the Consumer's Guarantees Act. Under this act warranty's basically
    >>> don't count. If you are sold an item in New Zealand the Act says the
    >>> product
    >>> must be able to perform it's intended use and last a reasonable length
    >>> of
    >>> time. My argument was that 14 months for such an expensive and common
    >>> consumer item was NOT a reasonable length of time. Roughly $50 a month
    >>> if
    >>> you tossed it out.

    >> Having once worked for them I can tell you you are right in talking
    >> about the CGA. Just contact Renaissance and say you want the iPod
    >> fixed.
    >>
    >> I had this argument before I left Renaissance. Basically you can
    >> expect, under the CGA, to have parts and labour for the 1st year and
    >> parts for years 2 and 3.
    >>
    >> You don't have to take them to court - just the Small Claims Tribunal.
    >> See http://www.howtolaw.co.nz/html/ml086.asp
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> John

    > I started and eventually ended up at Renaissance. Thanks for the small
    > claims idea, but maybe a lawyer is needed to really test this.

    absolutely not - no lawyer required , this is why we have small claims . 30
    bucks I think, explain the situation, and you will get your money back.
    whome, Dec 6, 2006
  8. Rasputinnz666

    Barry Lennox Guest

    On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 20:23:23 +1300, "Rasputinnz666" <>
    wrote:

    >I have discovered (and I'm sure others have also at some point) a major
    >issue for anybody thinking about buying an iPod in New Zealand or
    >Australia - and one must wonder, in other parts of the world
    >too.

    snip

    IIRC, something similar was on Fair Go a while back. It looks like
    Apple is determined to go for the "Sod the Customer" award of the
    year, with this sort of attitude.

    Go to the Disputes Tribunal, it sounds like you have a pretty good
    chance of success. Incidentally, your beef is with the retailer, not
    Apple. Even although he is obviously sympathetic, he is the one that
    you have a contract with. He, in turn, then takes it up with Apple.

    In the meantime, boycott them, and pass it around all and sundry.
    Barry Lennox, Dec 6, 2006
  9. Rasputinnz666 wrote:

    > Apple have told me, after a phone call that went to India, Australia and
    > back to New Zealand, that my son's iPod that I spent between $700-$750
    > for, is out of warranty and to repair it would cost more than the iPod is
    > worth. He had his iPod for 11 months when it failed. They replaced it. Very
    > nice we thought at the time. 6 Months later the replacement iPod failed.

    What model is it?

    > My question to Apple was "Can it be repaired?" Initially they said it was a
    > sealed unit and if faulty under warranty, it is replaced. So I said "What
    > about if it's out of warranty?". I was told to Google and find a repairer,
    > because they are out there. "An Apple approved/affiliated repairer?", I
    > asked. "No" was the reply.

    Depending on what is wrong with it you can purchase the parts via a
    third party.

    > Bottom line - if you live in New Zealand or Australia - and maybe
    > everywhere else, Apple will not offer you a repair service for their product
    > that is realistic or affordable.

    It is world wide, for example if you break the screen Apple will charge
    you near on the purchase price to fix, but you can buy third party
    screens quite cheap.

    > Would you advise anybody to buy a ticket in what is effectively the iPod
    > lottery? You pay your money and hope for the best. How on Earth are they the
    > market leader?????
    >
    > Imagine this attitude in other market segments - Fisher and Paykel for
    > example.

    Well I have had this very problem with Fisher and Paykel, I purchased a
    fridge/freezer for $1700 that needed major repairs several times within
    the year warrenty, and past that. Their solution was to allow me to
    purchase a new one at discount.

    > Footnote: I went to the retailer who sold me the iPod and explained it all
    > to him. He said he had dropped other brands because of this very reason and
    > didn't believe me. So he rang himself and after a convoluted game of avoid
    > the question, hung up wide eyed with amazement, agreed with me and said he
    > would have to seriously reconsider his commitment to the iPod.

    My 4G 60GB iPod is just on two years old (still under apple care), and I
    haven't had any issues with it. The battery still gives great life. And
    both my kids have shuffles which have always worked perfectly I would
    purchase one again without question.
    Jason Fanning, Dec 6, 2006
  10. Rasputinnz666

    Blue Guest

    On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 20:23:23 +1300, Rasputinnz666 wrote:

    > How on Earth are they the
    > market leader?????

    The stupidity of the buyers. Happens for much more than Apple. Once you
    have a breakthru mass then a certain product by a company becomes *the*
    product.

    Humans talk about sheep following each other, but really the sheep are not
    alone.

    > Imagine this attitude in other market segments - Fisher and Paykel for
    > example.

    Study some history, F&P have not been the best at ensuring the playing
    field is level.
    Blue, Dec 6, 2006
  11. Given that Apple think a 1 yr warranty is fair cop for a $4750 Powerbook
    laptop I can't say I'm surprised.
    The problem is people just accept these immoral terms. Personally I'd say
    quadruple the warranty or I walk, and walk I would.

    J&H.

    Jekyll and Hyde, Dec 6, 2006
  12. Rasputinnz666

    Rob Guest

    > "John Holley" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <el5r5o$ceh$>, Rasputinnz666 <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have discovered (and I'm sure others have also at some point) a major
    >>> issue for anybody thinking about buying an iPod in New Zealand or
    >>> Australia - and one must wonder, in other parts of the world
    >>> too.
    >>>
    >>> Apple have told me, after a phone call that went to India, Australia and
    >>> back to New Zealand, that my son's iPod that I spent between $700-$750
    >>> for, is out of warranty and to repair it would cost more than the iPod
    >>> is
    >>> worth. He had his iPod for 11 months when it failed. They replaced it.
    >>> Very
    >>> nice we thought at the time. 6 Months later the replacement iPod failed.
    >>>
    >>> Being out of warranty I was prepared to see if it was repairable, now I
    >>> will
    >>> digress slightly at this point and try and explain a little thing in New
    >>> Zealand
    >>> call the Consumer's Guarantees Act. Under this act warranty's basically
    >>> don't count. If you are sold an item in New Zealand the Act says the
    >>> product
    >>> must be able to perform it's intended use and last a reasonable length
    >>> of
    >>> time. My argument was that 14 months for such an expensive and common
    >>> consumer item was NOT a reasonable length of time. Roughly $50 a month
    >>> if
    >>> you tossed it out.

    >> Having once worked for them I can tell you you are right in talking
    >> about the CGA. Just contact Renaissance and say you want the iPod
    >> fixed.
    >>
    >> I had this argument before I left Renaissance. Basically you can
    >> expect, under the CGA, to have parts and labour for the 1st year and
    >> parts for years 2 and 3.
    >>
    >> You don't have to take them to court - just the Small Claims Tribunal.
    >> See http://www.howtolaw.co.nz/html/ml086.asp
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> John

    > I started and eventually ended up at Renaissance. Thanks for the small
    > claims idea, but maybe a lawyer is needed to really test this.

    You can't use a lawyer in the disputes tribunal, you have to represent
    yourself. However under the CGA an iPod should last 5 years of reasonable
    use, and you should win your case if the replacement new ipod only lasted 6
    months. Consumer magazine did an article recently on the time different
    products should last under the CGA. Are you aware that iPods were given an
    award for one of the worst products in Australia, and they have really dodgy
    consumer policies. I would only consider their nano solid state ipods, as
    there is less to go wrong than one with a harddrive.
    Rob, Dec 6, 2006
  13. Rasputinnz666

    Rob Guest

    "Jekyll and Hyde" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> lottery? You pay your money and hope for the best. How on Earth are they
    >> the
    >> market leader?????
    >>
    >> Imagine this attitude in other market segments - Fisher and Paykel for
    >> example.
    >>
    >> And for those of you who say go to the market and try and find someone
    >> who CAN make it work, I say to you, if I'd known that in the first place
    >> I wouldn't have bought the thing and if all else fails I may just do
    >> that - but like the pink shirt - only if I have to.
    >>
    >> Footnote: I went to the retailer who sold me the iPod and explained it
    >> all to him. He said he had dropped other brands because of this very
    >> reason and didn't believe me. So he rang himself and after a convoluted
    >> game of avoid the question, hung up wide eyed with amazement, agreed with
    >> me and said he would have to seriously reconsider his commitment to the

    Apple 'sell' longer warranties, however if you are a consumer, you are
    protected by the CGA so buying a longer warranty period is a waste of money.
    Ipods are a consumer device, so their shonky warranty periods are really
    irrelevant, as buyers are covered by the CGA.
    Rob, Dec 6, 2006
  14. Rasputinnz666

    Peter Ashby Guest

    Rasputinnz666 <> wrote:

    > Apple have told me, after a phone call that went to India, Australia and
    > back to New Zealand, that my son's iPod that I spent between $700-$750
    > for, is out of warranty and to repair it would cost more than the iPod is
    > worth. He had his iPod for 11 months when it failed. They replaced it. Very
    > nice we thought at the time. 6 Months later the replacement iPod failed.

    I wonder how many of these stories are kids not owning up to how many
    times they dropped the ipod or it fell off the desk/bed/out of the
    schoolbag. And they are not sealed units. I have cracked one to replace
    the battery, battery came with what was essentially a plastic
    screwdriver with a wide, thin blade you use to start to separate the
    halves. If Apple says it is out of warranty then you lose nothing.

    For the record, the supplied battery (third party) didn't quite fit and
    after many resets we put the old battery in and voila! it worked like
    new.

    Peter
    Peter Ashby, Dec 6, 2006
  15. Rasputinnz666

    Rob Guest

> [...]
    > the
    > market leader?????
    >
    > Imagine this attitude in other market segments - Fisher and Paykel for
    > example.
    >
    > And for those of you who say go to the market and try and find someone who
    > CAN make it work, I say to you, if I'd known that in the first place I
    > wouldn't have bought the thing and if all else fails I may just do that -
    > but like the pink shirt - only if I have to.
    >
    > Footnote: I went to the retailer who sold me the iPod and explained it all
    > to him. He said he had dropped other brands because of this very reason
    > and didn't believe me. So he rang himself and after a convoluted game of
    > avoid the question, hung up wide eyed with amazement, agreed with me and
    > said he would have to seriously reconsider his commitment to the iPod.

    What I would recommend is getting a form from your court, fill it in,and fax
    it with a covering letter to your retailer, that you are about to lodge it
    with the court, unless they come to the party.
    Rob, Dec 6, 2006
  16. "Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 20:23:23 +1300, "Rasputinnz666" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have discovered (and I'm sure others have also at some point) a major
    >>issue for anybody thinking about buying an iPod in New Zealand or
    >>Australia - and one must wonder, in other parts of the world
    >>too.
    >>
    >>Apple have told me, after a phone call that went to India, Australia and
    >>back to New Zealand, that my son's iPod that I spent between $700-$750
    >>for, is out of warranty and to repair it would cost more than the iPod is
    >>worth. He had his iPod for 11 months when it failed. They replaced it.
    >>Very
    >>nice we thought at the time. 6 Months later the replacement iPod failed.

    > The Consumer company in OZZ has listed the iPod as the most unreliable
    > thing, it can on the Top of
    > the list, as it was shown on TV here..
    >

    > Take it to the C.G.A as it will only cost you $20, but you Must have all
    > the Correspondence with
    > Apple in writing or E-Mails..
    >
    > Send them a letter stating that if you do not get a favorable reply say
    > in 2 weeks, you will take
    > it to court under the C.G.A.
    >
    > Plus see if you can find the OZZ Consumer group that list this as a Bad
    > product., would be great
    > to backup your claims.

    Correspondence??? Yeah rite. I asked "Ryan" in Sydney, who btw sounded like
    a broken record when trying very hard NOT to say they don't have authorised
    repairers, to send me an email to confirm our conversation and THEIR
    response - I'm still waiting and don't expect to get it. I now know why the
    first person I spoke to was in India - after dialing an 0800 number supplied
    by Trina at Renaissance - and after "James" in India had done his best to
    fob me off I was on hold for ages before Ryan came along as I was
    transferred to Sydney. I'll give them credit for staff training. These guys
    would wear most people I know down, but then I'm not like most people I
    know. I've also forwarded the story to Leo Laporte (TWIT Podcast, probably
    the biggest Podcast on the net and always asking for story ideas) and so far
    1 NZ TV station. This is day 1 of the campaign. I have given them (via Blake
    at Renaissance) 48 hours before I make it my life's obsession. I'm overdue
    for one, and as the iPod is currently useless, I have nothing to do :)

    Oh and to the poster wondering if the iPod had been badly treated by a
    youngster, I bought a $90 rubber cover when the first one failed and my son
    is now 18 and has been in the workforce since 16. He LOVED his iPod and
    treated it like a baby.
    Rasputinnz666, Dec 6, 2006
  17. Rasputinnz666

    Rob Guest

    > "Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 20:23:23 +1300, "Rasputinnz666" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have discovered (and I'm sure others have also at some point) a major
    >>>issue for anybody thinking about buying an iPod in New Zealand or
    >>>Australia - and one must wonder, in other parts of the world
    >>>too.
    >>>
    >>>Apple have told me, after a phone call that went to India, Australia and
    >>>back to New Zealand, that my son's iPod that I spent between $700-$750
    >>>for, is out of warranty and to repair it would cost more than the iPod is
    >>>worth. He had his iPod for 11 months when it failed. They replaced it.
    >>>Very
    >>>nice we thought at the time. 6 Months later the replacement iPod failed.

    >> The Consumer company in OZZ has listed the iPod as the most unreliable
    >> thing, it can on the Top of
    >> the list, as it was shown on TV here..
    >>

    >> Take it to the C.G.A as it will only cost you $20, but you Must have all
    >> the Correspondence with
    >> Apple in writing or E-Mails..
    >>
    >> Send them a letter stating that if you do not get a favorable reply say
    >> in 2 weeks, you will take
    >> it to court under the C.G.A.
    >>
    >> Plus see if you can find the OZZ Consumer group that list this as a
    >> Bad product., would be great
    >> to backup your claims.
    >>

    > Correspondence??? Yeah rite. I asked "Ryan" in Sydney, who btw sounded
    > like a broken record when trying very hard NOT to say they don't have
    > authorised repairers, to send me an email to confirm our conversation and
    > THEIR response - I'm still waiting and don't expect to get it. I now know
    > why the first person I spoke to was in India - after dialing an 0800
    > number supplied by Trina at Renaissance - and after "James" in India had
    > done his best to fob me off I was on hold for ages before Ryan came along
    > as I was transferred to Sydney. I'll give them credit for staff training.
    > These guys would wear most people I know down, but then I'm not like most
    > people I know. I've also forwarded the story to Leo Laporte (TWIT Podcast,
    > probably the biggest Podcast on the net and always asking for story ideas)
    > and so far 1 NZ TV station. This is day 1 of the campaign. I have given
    > them (via Blake at Renaissance) 48 hours before I make it my life's
    > obsession. I'm overdue for one, and as the iPod is currently useless, I
    > have nothing to do :)
    >
    > Oh and to the poster wondering if the iPod had been badly treated by a
    > youngster, I bought a $90 rubber cover when the first one failed and my
    > son is now 18 and has been in the workforce since 16. He LOVED his iPod
    > and treated it like a baby.

    If it visually looks in good condition, you shouldn't have a problem. They
    apparently can test for 'impact damage' anyway. When they featured ipods on
    FairGo, the ipod had a cracked screen, which apple said could have only have
    been caused by impact damage, which is very difficult for the consumer to
    prove that it wasn't, even if there is no damage on the casing. Ipod nanos
    have had a 'known defect' that caused the screens to crack, but apparently
    they have fixed this defect now.
    If you do want to make an example of Apple, post everything on a blog, with
    photos. It is a good way to get attention.
    Rob, Dec 6, 2006
  18. Rasputinnz666

    Mathew Good Guest

    Mathew Good, Dec 6, 2006
  19. Rasputinnz666

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 20:45:17 +1300, "Rasputinnz666" <> wrote:

    >"John Holley" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <el5r5o$ceh$>, Rasputinnz666 <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have discovered (and I'm sure others have also at some point) a major
    >>> issue for anybody thinking about buying an iPod in New Zealand or
    >>> Australia - and one must wonder, in other parts of the world
    >>> too.
    >>>
    >>> Apple have told me, after a phone call that went to India, Australia and
    >>> back to New Zealand, that my son's iPod that I spent between $700-$750
    >>> for, is out of warranty and to repair it would cost more than the iPod is
    >>> worth. He had his iPod for 11 months when it failed. They replaced it.
    >>> Very
    >>> nice we thought at the time. 6 Months later the replacement iPod failed.
    >>>
    >>> Being out of warranty I was prepared to see if it was repairable, now I
    >>> will
    >>> digress slightly at this point and try and explain a little thing in New
    >>> Zealand
    >>> call the Consumer's Guarantees Act. Under this act warranty's basically
    >>> don't count. If you are sold an item in New Zealand the Act says the
    >>> product
    >>> must be able to perform it's intended use and last a reasonable length of
    >>> time. My argument was that 14 months for such an expensive and common
    >>> consumer item was NOT a reasonable length of time. Roughly $50 a month if
    >>> you tossed it out.

    >> Having once worked for them I can tell you you are right in talking
    >> about the CGA. Just contact Renaissance and say you want the iPod
    >> fixed.
    >>
    >> I had this argument before I left Renaissance. Basically you can
    >> expect, under the CGA, to have parts and labour for the 1st year and
    >> parts for years 2 and 3.
    >>
    >> You don't have to take them to court - just the Small Claims Tribunal.
    >> See http://www.howtolaw.co.nz/html/ml086.asp
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> John

    >I started and eventually ended up at Renaissance. Thanks for the small
    >claims idea, but maybe a lawyer is needed to really test this.

    No as you can't use them under the C.G.A.
    Mathew Good, Dec 6, 2006
  20. Rasputinnz666

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 22:15:24 +1300, "Jekyll and Hyde" <> wrote:

    >Given that Apple think a 1 yr warranty is fair cop for a $4750 Powerbook
    >laptop I can't say I'm surprised.
    >The problem is people just accept these immoral terms. Personally I'd say
    >quadruple the warranty or I walk, and walk I would.
    >
    >J&H

    The EU not has a 2 year minimum warantee on all products, been like that for a few years.
    Mathew Good, Dec 6, 2006