Think Twice About Buying An iPod Pt 2

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rasputinnz666, Dec 7, 2006.

  1. Thank you for all the feedback on this issue.

    Below is a copy of an email sent to Paul Johnston, Managing Director of
    Renaissance. I have edited out my person deatils for privacy. Your comments
    to me here or to Apple or Renaissance are encouraged :)

    Dear Paul

    My name is E***** S******* and I live in ***********.

    I spent a the greater part of Wednesday on the phone to Trina on 03-377 3388
    in Christchurch and then "James" in India after Trina fobbed me off with the
    Apple 00800 7666 7666 free call number, who after a lengthy conversation
    redirected my call to "Ryan" in Sydney who basically turned into a broken
    record and would not directly answer my questions. The case # is 71755100
    with Apple.

    I then went back to Trina who put me onto Blake and the same response to my
    problem was given and that is quite simply after you cut back all the double
    talk and smoke screens, if you have an iPod problem out of warranty then
    you, the consumer, have no recourse other than the Consumer Guarantees Act
    which as a consumer you can take up with the retailer who supplied you or
    their supplier:

    http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/consumerinfo/cga/faultygoods.html - look
    here if you wish.

    NOW as an iPod is classed as a sealed unit by Apple, "Apple" and by default
    "Renaissance" do not offer the consumer the required guarantees as defined
    in the CGA.

    To do some research and gauge public opinion on a small scale I posted a
    post on a couple of New Zealand news groups. You would be amazed at the
    wealth of information that has been posted back and even more amazed at how
    much your company and Apple are mistrusted by informed New Zealanders
    posting to those groups.

    I also went to the retailer I purchased the iPod from and explained the
    whole situation to them. Now that was an interesting conversation because
    they had dropped Creative products for this very reason. They didn't believe
    what I had to say so rang 03-377 3388 and was gobsmacked to find out that
    despite all the double talk about replacing broken iPods with repaired ones
    at a greater cost than new, and offering a repair service at a greater cost
    than new, I WAS RIGHT. At the end of the day you are in breach of the CGA.

    My next step is to write to you in the hope that you may address my problems
    which I will not go into here because I have already expelled sufficient air
    out of my lungs to your network for you to find out what my problem
    specifically is.

    Blake did tell me he would escalate my issues further up the ladder but
    could not guarantee I would hear any more from your company.

    The next step is up to you.

    You can reply to me, satisfy me, or make changes to your iPod support for
    consumers to come into line with the CGA. Or some, all or none of the above.

    Me? Well I'll wait a little longer I told Blake I'd wait 48 hours before
    taking steps which would include writing to Fair Go. I waited 25 to write
    this and only a few hours to post on Usenet. Next? I'm not sure but the
    kitchen has lots of steam coming out of it as this gains momentum,
    especially as Christmas is right on the door step and I may feel that I need
    to tell as many consumers as possible of the problems that could arise from
    buying a major consumer branded product such as the iPod, when the suppliers
    are blatantly prepared to ignore the CGA.

    What would you do if you were me?

    Cheers and have a nice day.

    I'll keep looking from time to time out of the corner of my eye to see if
    you can be bothered to reply.

    VERY sincerely

    E***** S******

    PS - Just an after thought that came to me as I write this, I may offer
    myself to Microsoft to appear in advertisements telling consumers of my
    plight. I'm sure that would help the Zune take off here.
     
    Rasputinnz666, Dec 7, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Rasputinnz666

    Geopelia Guest

    "Rasputinnz666" <> wrote in message
    news:el7uki$dsg$...
    > Thank you for all the feedback on this issue.
    >
    > Below is a copy of an email sent to Paul Johnston, Managing Director of
    > Renaissance. I have edited out my person deatils for privacy. Your
    > comments to me here or to Apple or Renaissance are encouraged :)
    >
    >

    (snip)

    > Me? Well I'll wait a little longer I told Blake I'd wait 48 hours before
    > taking steps which would include writing to Fair Go. I waited 25 to write
    > this and only a few hours to post on Usenet. Next? I'm not sure but the
    > kitchen has lots of steam coming out of it as this gains momentum,
    > especially as Christmas is right on the door step and I may feel that I
    > need to tell as many consumers as possible of the problems that could
    > arise from buying a major consumer branded product such as the iPod, when
    > the suppliers are blatantly prepared to ignore the CGA.


    I think iPod has already been on Fair Go. It seems a very poor product, from
    what so many people have found.

    What mystifies me is why so many people want a contraption like that anyway!

    Geopelia
     
    Geopelia, Dec 7, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Rasputinnz666

    whome Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    news:el7vre$gkq$...
    >
    > "Rasputinnz666" <> wrote in message
    > news:el7uki$dsg$...
    >> Thank you for all the feedback on this issue.
    >>
    >> Below is a copy of an email sent to Paul Johnston, Managing Director of
    >> Renaissance. I have edited out my person deatils for privacy. Your
    >> comments to me here or to Apple or Renaissance are encouraged :)
    >>
    >>

    > (snip)
    >
    >> Me? Well I'll wait a little longer I told Blake I'd wait 48 hours before
    >> taking steps which would include writing to Fair Go. I waited 25 to write
    >> this and only a few hours to post on Usenet. Next? I'm not sure but the
    >> kitchen has lots of steam coming out of it as this gains momentum,
    >> especially as Christmas is right on the door step and I may feel that I
    >> need to tell as many consumers as possible of the problems that could
    >> arise from buying a major consumer branded product such as the iPod, when
    >> the suppliers are blatantly prepared to ignore the CGA.

    >
    > I think iPod has already been on Fair Go. It seems a very poor product,
    > from what so many people have found.
    >
    > What mystifies me is why so many people want a contraption like that
    > anyway!
    >
    > Geopelia
    >
    >


    music dude!! what else.

    In your day did you buy records? CD's? Well, today, you could put your
    entire collection onto a single ipod - simply awesome really.

    Put on your ipod, jump on the tube (if in london) or bus, and disappear into
    your own world.
     
    whome, Dec 7, 2006
    #3
  4. Rasputinnz666

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    whome wrote:
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > news:el7vre$gkq$...
    > >
    > >
    > > I think iPod has already been on Fair Go. It seems a very poor product,
    > > from what so many people have found.
    > >
    > > What mystifies me is why so many people want a contraption like that
    > > anyway!

    >
    > music dude!! what else.
    >
    > In your day did you buy records? CD's? Well, today, you could put your
    > entire collection onto a single ipod - simply awesome really.
    >
    > Put on your ipod, jump on the tube (if in london) or bus, and disappear into
    > your own world.


    I get the impression that putting music onto one of these gadgets is
    quite a performance. How do you do it?

    Say I have a bunch of CDs that I want to transfer to an ipod-like
    device, what do I do? Presumably I need a CD drive on my PC, something
    for the player to plug into (USB port?) and some software on the PC -
    is that correct?

    How long would it take to transfer one CD to the player, using a 256MHZ
    PC (1999 specs)? Could you do anything else on the PC while it's
    transferring the music? How many 70-minute CDs would a 1-gig player
    hold?

    I guess you can get some decent alternative to the dreaded ear-buds
    these days.
     
    Sue Bilstein, Dec 7, 2006
    #4
  5. Rasputinnz666

    Fred Guest

    "Sue Bilstein" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > whome wrote:
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >> news:el7vre$gkq$...
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > I think iPod has already been on Fair Go. It seems a very poor product,
    >> > from what so many people have found.
    >> >
    >> > What mystifies me is why so many people want a contraption like that
    >> > anyway!

    >>
    >> music dude!! what else.
    >>
    >> In your day did you buy records? CD's? Well, today, you could put your
    >> entire collection onto a single ipod - simply awesome really.
    >>
    >> Put on your ipod, jump on the tube (if in london) or bus, and disappear
    >> into
    >> your own world.

    >
    > I get the impression that putting music onto one of these gadgets is
    > quite a performance. How do you do it?
    >
    > Say I have a bunch of CDs that I want to transfer to an ipod-like
    > device, what do I do? Presumably I need a CD drive on my PC, something
    > for the player to plug into (USB port?) and some software on the PC -
    > is that correct?
    >
    > How long would it take to transfer one CD to the player, using a 256MHZ
    > PC (1999 specs)? Could you do anything else on the PC while it's
    > transferring the music? How many 70-minute CDs would a 1-gig player
    > hold?
    >
    > I guess you can get some decent alternative to the dreaded ear-buds
    > these days.


    It will take you about the same time as it takes to load the CD on to your
    computer - not long at all. Forget about playing back through earphones if
    you don't want to. Play back through any stereo, or powered speakers, or
    some will play through your radio by selecting the right frequency. Don't
    knock these machines - they're brilliant, although I don't know much about
    the ipod brand.
    >
     
    Fred, Dec 7, 2006
    #5
  6. Rasputinnz666

    Barry Lennox Guest

    On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 15:34:42 +1300, "Rasputinnz666" <>
    wrote:

    >Thank you for all the feedback on this issue.
    >
    >Below is a copy of an email sent to Paul Johnston, Managing Director of
    >Renaissance. I have edited out my person deatils for privacy. Your comments
    >to me here or to Apple or Renaissance are encouraged :)


    snip

    Well done, keep us posted.
     
    Barry Lennox, Dec 7, 2006
    #6
  7. Rasputinnz666

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > "Sue Bilstein" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > >
    > > I get the impression that putting music onto one of these gadgets is
    > > quite a performance. How do you do it?
    > >
    > > Say I have a bunch of CDs that I want to transfer to an ipod-like
    > > device, what do I do? Presumably I need a CD drive on my PC, something
    > > for the player to plug into (USB port?) and some software on the PC -
    > > is that correct?
    > >
    > > How long would it take to transfer one CD to the player, using a 256MHZ
    > > PC (1999 specs)? Could you do anything else on the PC while it's
    > > transferring the music? How many 70-minute CDs would a 1-gig player
    > > hold?
    > >
    > > I guess you can get some decent alternative to the dreaded ear-buds
    > > these days.

    >
    > It will take you about the same time as it takes to load the CD on to your
    > computer - not long at all.


    A friend bought an ipod, then bought an Ibook to load songs with - he
    already had a PC, but it was too slow to load the music. That's why I
    wondered.

    So how does the player plug into the PC? Cable to USB?

    How many minutes of music per megabyte of storage on one of these
    gadgets?

    And how does it work if you want to change some of the music on the
    player? Do you have to wipe & reload the whole thing, or can you do a
    partial replace?

    > Forget about playing back through earphones if
    > you don't want to. Play back through any stereo, or powered speakers, or
    > some will play through your radio by selecting the right frequency. Don't
    > knock these machines - they're brilliant, although I don't know much about
    > the ipod brand.
    > >


    If you're at home or in your car, why play from the walk-around device?
    You already have audio equipment and CDs.

    How good is the sound quality from these players?
     
    Sue Bilstein, Dec 7, 2006
    #7
  8. Rasputinnz666

    Peter Guest

    Sue Bilstein wrote:
    > Say I have a bunch of CDs that I want to transfer to an ipod-like
    > device, what do I do?


    No no no - this is against the law in NZ. It is called format shifting, and
    is unlawful under the copyright act.
    Do you think it is a silly law that makes it unlawful for people to make a
    useful copy of music they have legally paid for? Then I hope you made a
    submission to the recent review of this act.


    Peter
     
    Peter, Dec 7, 2006
    #8
  9. Rasputinnz666

    John Holley Guest

    In article <el7uki$dsg$>, Rasputinnz666 <> wrote:

    > I then went back to Trina who put me onto Blake and the same response to my
    > problem was given and that is quite simply after you cut back all the double
    > talk and smoke screens, if you have an iPod problem out of warranty then
    > you, the consumer, have no recourse other than the Consumer Guarantees Act
    > which as a consumer you can take up with the retailer who supplied you or
    > their supplier:


    Don't take them at their word. When I worked at Renaissance I had this
    argument internally. The law is quite clear - Renaissance have
    liability as well and they can't hide behind the reseller.

    Lodge a claim against both the reseller AND Renaissance. Renaissance
    relies on people giving up.

    John
     
    John Holley, Dec 7, 2006
    #9
  10. Rasputinnz666

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-12-07, Sue Bilstein <> wrote:

    > A friend bought an ipod, then bought an Ibook to load songs with - he
    > already had a PC, but it was too slow to load the music. That's why I
    > wondered.
    >
    > So how does the player plug into the PC? Cable to USB?


    yeah, usually.

    > How many minutes of music per megabyte of storage on one of these
    > gadgets?


    typical data rates are 64kb/s to 196kb/s depending on how golden
    your ears are. A 128M device can hold enough music for days.

    > And how does it work if you want to change some of the music on the
    > player? Do you have to wipe & reload the whole thing, or can you do a
    > partial replace?


    usually partial. often they have a FAT filesystem and behave like a disk
    drive when attached to the computer.

    > If you're at home or in your car, why play from the walk-around device?


    convenience.

    Bye.
    Jasen
     
    jasen, Dec 7, 2006
    #10
  11. Rasputinnz666

    frederick Guest

    Sue Bilstein wrote:
    > Fred wrote:
    >> "Sue Bilstein" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> I get the impression that putting music onto one of these gadgets is
    >>> quite a performance. How do you do it?
    >>>
    >>> Say I have a bunch of CDs that I want to transfer to an ipod-like
    >>> device, what do I do? Presumably I need a CD drive on my PC, something
    >>> for the player to plug into (USB port?) and some software on the PC -
    >>> is that correct?
    >>>
    >>> How long would it take to transfer one CD to the player, using a 256MHZ
    >>> PC (1999 specs)? Could you do anything else on the PC while it's
    >>> transferring the music? How many 70-minute CDs would a 1-gig player
    >>> hold?
    >>>
    >>> I guess you can get some decent alternative to the dreaded ear-buds
    >>> these days.

    >> It will take you about the same time as it takes to load the CD on to your
    >> computer - not long at all.

    >
    > A friend bought an ipod, then bought an Ibook to load songs with - he
    > already had a PC, but it was too slow to load the music. That's why I
    > wondered.
    >
    > So how does the player plug into the PC? Cable to USB?
    >

    Yes - usually.
    >
    > How many minutes of music per megabyte of storage on one of these
    > gadgets?
    >

    Depends on the format and bitrate it's encoded at - generally you get
    more than a minute per Mb.
    >
    > And how does it work if you want to change some of the music on the
    > player? Do you have to wipe & reload the whole thing, or can you do a
    > partial replace?
    >

    Work as a mass storage device - your pc sees it as a hard drive, you can
    drag and drop files, delete single files, etc with ease.
    >
    >> Forget about playing back through earphones if
    >> you don't want to. Play back through any stereo, or powered speakers, or
    >> some will play through your radio by selecting the right frequency. Don't
    >> knock these machines - they're brilliant, although I don't know much about
    >> the ipod brand.

    >
    > If you're at home or in your car, why play from the walk-around device?
    > You already have audio equipment and CDs.
    >

    Now let's see - you can have your entire record collection (and probably
    all your friends collections as well), indexed and
    searchable, on a device smaller than a "compact cassette" case, or you
    could carry a briefcase full of cds...
    Many car stereos have input jacks for MP3 players, some have slots for
    multimedia cards or USB ports to plug a memory key in they will play the
    MP3 directly.

    >
    > How good is the sound quality from these players?
    >


    They sound fine through headphones, okay through a stereo. The files -
    compressed at higher bitrate than normallly used for portable devices
    sound better played through an MP3 capable DVD player then through a
    good home stereo, but not quite as good as CDs. For the first time
    since recorded music began, a shift of the dominant popular format has
    resulted in a lowering of audio quality.
     
    frederick, Dec 7, 2006
    #11
  12. Rasputinnz666

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 22:27:30 +1300, frederick <> wrote:
    >Sue Bilstein wrote:

    <snip - thanks for the answers>
    >>
    >> How good is the sound quality from these players?
    >>

    >
    >They sound fine through headphones, okay through a stereo. The files -
    >compressed at higher bitrate than normallly used for portable devices
    >sound better played through an MP3 capable DVD player then through a
    >good home stereo, but not quite as good as CDs. For the first time
    >since recorded music began, a shift of the dominant popular format has
    >resulted in a lowering of audio quality.



    You mean for the first time since CDs replaced LPs.
     
    Sue Bilstein, Dec 7, 2006
    #12
  13. Rasputinnz666

    Rob Guest

    "John Holley" <> wrote in message
    news:071220062025505011%...
    > In article <el7uki$dsg$>, Rasputinnz666 <> wrote:
    >
    >> I then went back to Trina who put me onto Blake and the same response to
    >> my
    >> problem was given and that is quite simply after you cut back all the
    >> double
    >> talk and smoke screens, if you have an iPod problem out of warranty then
    >> you, the consumer, have no recourse other than the Consumer Guarantees
    >> Act
    >> which as a consumer you can take up with the retailer who supplied you or
    >> their supplier:

    >
    > Don't take them at their word. When I worked at Renaissance I had this
    > argument internally. The law is quite clear - Renaissance have
    > liability as well and they can't hide behind the reseller.
    >
    > Lodge a claim against both the reseller AND Renaissance. Renaissance
    > relies on people giving up.
    >
    > John


    I am sure that they are not very happy that apple have taken away their
    online apple shop, and now when you buy through apple.co.nz, it is processed
    by apple australia. Also they appear to be undercutting NZ retailers with
    their pricing on apple ipods.
     
    Rob, Dec 7, 2006
    #13
  14. Rasputinnz666

    Max Burke Guest

    > Sue Bilstein scribbled:

    > I get the impression that putting music onto one of these gadgets
    > is quite a performance. How do you do it?


    Naa it's dead easy...

    It's just a matter of dragging and dropping files or directories from the
    iTunes library to the iPod Icon....
    Of course it can take a few hours if you have a LOT of music to transfer.

    Once it's on the iPod though it's there permanently until you delete it...

    > Say I have a bunch of CDs that I want to transfer to an ipod-like
    > device, what do I do? Presumably I need a CD drive on my PC,
    > something for the player to plug into (USB port?) and some
    > software on the PC - is that correct?


    Rip The CD to your computer, add it to the iTunes Library, then copy it (see
    above) to the iPod.
    It will take longer to rip the CD to your computer than it will to copy it
    to the the iPod.
    It takes my computer using Audiograbber
    (http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/) about 10 minutes to rip a CD.
    It takes iTunes less than 5 minutes to copy that CD to my iPod

    > How long would it take to transfer one CD to the player, using a
    > 256MHZ PC (1999 specs)? Could you do anything else on the PC
    > while it's transferring the music? How many 70-minute CDs would
    > a 1-gig player hold?


    > A friend bought an ipod, then bought an Ibook to load songs with - he
    > already had a PC, but it was too slow to load the music. That's why I
    > wondered.


    > So how does the player plug into the PC? Cable to USB?


    USB2 cable. Or Firewire if you prefer that option.

    > How many minutes of music per megabyte of storage on one of these
    > gadgets?


    I dont know how many minutes per megabyte it would be but an average track
    of say 4-5 minutes converted to an MP3 file at 192Kbps averages around 4 -
    6MB

    Currently if I was to play my iPod continuosly to hear all the music on it I
    would have to let it play for 25.4 DAYS before I had heard all the music on
    it just once. I have used 45GB of it's availabe storage and have another
    28GB available....

    > And how does it work if you want to change some of the music on the
    > player? Do you have to wipe & reload the whole thing, or can you do a
    > partial replace?


    You can just delete the tracks, entire albums or everything if you want
    to....

    > > Forget about playing back through earphones if
    > > you don't want to. Play back through any stereo, or powered
    > > speakers, or some will play through your radio by selecting the
    > > right frequency. Don't knock these machines - they're brilliant,
    > > although I don't know much about the ipod brand.


    > If you're at home or in your car, why play from the walk-around
    > device? You already have audio equipment and CDs.


    Because you cant carry a home stereo around with you, and some cars are even
    coming out with iPod docking stations, so you dont need to have a CD player
    in the car anymore....

    > How good is the sound quality from these players?


    Excellent provided you have a decent set of ear buds/head phones. The
    supplied Apple ones are NOT decent ones, they're uncomfortable, and sound
    'tinny' and EVERYONE knows you've got an iPod when they see the white
    earphones cord. I replaced them with a generic set from DSE that only cost
    $4.95 that have better bass and treble response and also dont require me to
    turn the volume up over 75% to get a decent sound level like I had to do
    with the supplied Apple ones.

    RIAA NZ RIAA or whatever they they call themselves please note:
    Since I bought my iPod I have spent more on buying CD's in the last 2 months
    ($40 - $50 a week) than I have in the last 5 YEARS, and yes I have ripped
    those CD's to install on the iPod....

    --

    Replace the obvious with paradise.net to email me
    Found Images
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke
     
    Max Burke, Dec 7, 2006
    #14
  15. Rasputinnz666

    Geopelia Guest

    "whome" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    > news:el7vre$gkq$...
    >>
    >> "Rasputinnz666" <> wrote in message
    >> news:el7uki$dsg$...
    >>> Thank you for all the feedback on this issue.
    >>>
    >>> Below is a copy of an email sent to Paul Johnston, Managing Director of
    >>> Renaissance. I have edited out my person deatils for privacy. Your
    >>> comments to me here or to Apple or Renaissance are encouraged :)
    >>>
    >>>

    >> (snip)
    >>
    >>> Me? Well I'll wait a little longer I told Blake I'd wait 48 hours before
    >>> taking steps which would include writing to Fair Go. I waited 25 to
    >>> write this and only a few hours to post on Usenet. Next? I'm not sure
    >>> but the kitchen has lots of steam coming out of it as this gains
    >>> momentum, especially as Christmas is right on the door step and I may
    >>> feel that I need to tell as many consumers as possible of the problems
    >>> that could arise from buying a major consumer branded product such as
    >>> the iPod, when the suppliers are blatantly prepared to ignore the CGA.

    >>
    >> I think iPod has already been on Fair Go. It seems a very poor product,
    >> from what so many people have found.
    >>
    >> What mystifies me is why so many people want a contraption like that
    >> anyway!
    >>
    >> Geopelia
    >>
    >>

    >
    > music dude!! what else.
    >
    > In your day did you buy records? CD's? Well, today, you could put your
    > entire collection onto a single ipod - simply awesome really.
    >
    > Put on your ipod, jump on the tube (if in london) or bus, and disappear
    > into your own world.
    >

    Records in my day were dinner plate size and were for gramophones with
    needles, which needed winding up. Then somebody invented electric
    gramophones and little saucer sized records.

    Now we have Coast Radio, which plays all the lovely old songs all day.
    Aren't we lucky.
    But what use is an iPod if it breaks down?
     
    Geopelia, Dec 7, 2006
    #15
  16. Rasputinnz666

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 22:45:07 +1300, Sue Bilstein
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 22:27:30 +1300, frederick <> wrote:
    >>Sue Bilstein wrote:

    ><snip - thanks for the answers>
    >>>
    >>> How good is the sound quality from these players?
    >>>

    >>
    >>They sound fine through headphones, okay through a stereo. The files -
    >>compressed at higher bitrate than normallly used for portable devices
    >>sound better played through an MP3 capable DVD player then through a
    >>good home stereo, but not quite as good as CDs. For the first time
    >>since recorded music began, a shift of the dominant popular format has
    >>resulted in a lowering of audio quality.

    >
    >
    >You mean for the first time since CDs replaced LPs.


    I would go along with that. But CDs do well in lower price system
    where LPs excel in higher price systems, generally.
     
    GraB, Dec 7, 2006
    #16
  17. Rasputinnz666

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 01:15:21 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >Records in my day were dinner plate size and were for gramophones with
    >needles, which needed winding up. Then somebody invented electric
    >gramophones and little saucer sized records.
    >
    >Now we have Coast Radio, which plays all the lovely old songs all day.
    >Aren't we lucky.
    >But what use is an iPod if it breaks down?
    >

    Paper weight.
     
    GraB, Dec 7, 2006
    #17
  18. Rasputinnz666

    GraB Guest

    On 6 Dec 2006 19:43:58 -0800, "Sue Bilstein" <>
    wrote:

    >whome wrote:
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >> news:el7vre$gkq$...
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > I think iPod has already been on Fair Go. It seems a very poor product,
    >> > from what so many people have found.
    >> >
    >> > What mystifies me is why so many people want a contraption like that
    >> > anyway!

    >>
    >> music dude!! what else.
    >>
    >> In your day did you buy records? CD's? Well, today, you could put your
    >> entire collection onto a single ipod - simply awesome really.
    >>
    >> Put on your ipod, jump on the tube (if in london) or bus, and disappear into
    >> your own world.

    >
    >I get the impression that putting music onto one of these gadgets is
    >quite a performance. How do you do it?
    >
    >Say I have a bunch of CDs that I want to transfer to an ipod-like
    >device, what do I do? Presumably I need a CD drive on my PC, something
    >for the player to plug into (USB port?) and some software on the PC -
    >is that correct?
    >

    A programme I use is CDex http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/download.html
    which can rip CDs to MP3 (or OGG, FLAC, etc) and, if you connect with
    an online data base, will actually name the tracks for you. You can
    make MP3s from 32bit all the way to 320bit. Go in to Options /
    Settings to set it all up.

    For MP3 players, unless you have very good earphones, 128bit will be
    fine. Using the Lame codec you could select the R3mix setting which
    will give an higher quality MP3, using variable bitrate (between 96
    and 224bit - using more bits where needed and less where not, so
    reducing file size and increase sound quality). Using R3mix you would
    be hard-pressed to hear the difference between the MP3 and the CD
    unless you have very good gear.

    To do a whole CD on a 266MHz machine I would set it going when you go
    to bed - it could take a while, especially if using higher bitrates.
     
    GraB, Dec 7, 2006
    #18
  19. Rasputinnz666

    Robert Cooze Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 01:15:21 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Records in my day were dinner plate size and were for gramophones with
    >> needles, which needed winding up. Then somebody invented electric
    >> gramophones and little saucer sized records.
    >>
    >> Now we have Coast Radio, which plays all the lovely old songs all day.
    >> Aren't we lucky.
    >> But what use is an iPod if it breaks down?
    >>

    > Paper weight.
    >
    >

    I have see some joggers just with the head phones in (no Ipod) just to
    look trendy

    --
    http://cooze.co.nz home of the RecyclerMan aka Robert Cooze

    / __/ / / / / /__ / / ___/ / __/ / / / |/ / /__ /
    / / / /_/ / / /_/ / _-' / __/ / / / /_/ / / /| / _-'
    ___\ ____/ ____/ /___/ /____/ /_/ ___\ ____/ /_/ /_/ |_/ /___/
     
    Robert Cooze, Dec 7, 2006
    #19
  20. Rasputinnz666

    frederick Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 22:45:07 +1300, Sue Bilstein
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 22:27:30 +1300, frederick <> wrote:
    >>> Sue Bilstein wrote:

    >> <snip - thanks for the answers>
    >>>> How good is the sound quality from these players?
    >>>>
    >>> They sound fine through headphones, okay through a stereo. The files -
    >>> compressed at higher bitrate than normallly used for portable devices
    >>> sound better played through an MP3 capable DVD player then through a
    >>> good home stereo, but not quite as good as CDs. For the first time
    >>> since recorded music began, a shift of the dominant popular format has
    >>> resulted in a lowering of audio quality.

    >>
    >> You mean for the first time since CDs replaced LPs.

    >
    > I would go along with that. But CDs do well in lower price system
    > where LPs excel in higher price systems, generally.
    >
    >

    Lol - I wouldn't.
    You can keep your hiss crackle and rumble - I don't think they were
    supposed to be there.
     
    frederick, Dec 7, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. candycaw
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,057
    hely0123
    Nov 26, 2007
  2. maysefooters
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,100
    maysefooters
    Dec 29, 2007
  3. maysefooters
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,167
    maysefooters
    Dec 29, 2007
  4. Rasputinnz666

    Think twice before buying an iPod

    Rasputinnz666, Dec 6, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    76
    Views:
    1,250
    Nathan Mercer
    Dec 14, 2006
  5. Rasputinnz666

    Think Twice Before Buying an iPod part 3 and final

    Rasputinnz666, May 8, 2007, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    44
    Views:
    966
Loading...

Share This Page