Think Pad memory problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by LenS, Oct 23, 2004.

  1. LenS

    LenS Guest

    I recently inherited two IBM ThinkPads from a relative who passed
    away. One is relatively new while the other is somewhat older.

    The older computer has a 70 Gb hard drive but only 32Mb RAM.
    The other day I tried to log onto AOL with this computer and was able
    to get the AOL browser 5.0 running, but when I tried to log onto the
    account I got an "Insufficient Memory or DIsk Space" error box. Now, I
    had seen the previous owner of this computer online not only with AOL
    but with another ISP she used.

    I tried the ALT-TAB key combination to see what else might be running,
    but nothing else was. Then I removed a ton of superfluous files
    (graphics, text documents, etc.) from the hard drive, leaving a ton of
    empty space.

    No soap. Still have the same problem.

    How can I find out what's taking up memory?

    Any help will be appreciated.

    -Len
    LenS, Oct 23, 2004

  2. LenS

    Thor Guest

    "LenS" <> wrote in message
    >I recently inherited two IBM ThinkPads from a relative who passed
    > away. One is relatively new while the other is somewhat older.
    >
    > The older computer has a 70 Gb hard drive but only 32Mb RAM.
    > The other day I tried to log onto AOL with this computer and was able
    > to get the AOL browser 5.0 running, but when I tried to log onto the
    > account I got an "Insufficient Memory or DIsk Space" error box. Now, I
    > had seen the previous owner of this computer online not only with AOL
    > but with another ISP she used.
    >
    > I tried the ALT-TAB key combination to see what else might be running,
    > but nothing else was. Then I removed a ton of superfluous files
    > (graphics, text documents, etc.) from the hard drive, leaving a ton of
    > empty space.
    >
    > No soap. Still have the same problem.
    >
    > How can I find out what's taking up memory?

    first off, make sure the virtual memory hasn't been capped at some
    unrealistically low number. Set it to windows managed, if it is.
    Thor, Oct 23, 2004

  3. LenS

    Plato Guest

    LenS wrote:

    > I recently inherited two IBM ThinkPads from a relative who passed
    > away. One is relatively new while the other is somewhat older.

    First step when acquiring old systems is to clean the drive and install
    the OS you want use fresh.
    Plato, Oct 23, 2004
  4. LenS

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    When I was reading your post LensS I would have suggested the same thing as
    Thor. Take his tip and it may well help you.
    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Oct 23, 2004
  5. LenS

    LenS Guest

    That's a good idea. The problem is that I don't have an AOL disk for
    5.0. The one on my desktop came bundled with the computer.
    I'm not sure that a later version of the AOL software will run
    considering the limited memory, even if I could find an AOL disk.
    Also, there are a couple of programs on the drive that I'd like to
    have and that aren't on my desktop.

    I probably will, however, end up doing what you suggested with the
    second (newer) ThinkPad because it's passworded, and so far I've been
    unable to crack it. I imagine the easiest thing would be to format the
    hard drive and re-install Windows, even if I have to remove the drive
    from the ThinkPad to format it.

    Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

    -Len

    LenS, Oct 24, 2004
  6. LenS

    Plato Guest

    LenS wrote:

    > That's a good idea. The problem is that I don't have an AOL disk for
    > 5.0. The one on my desktop came bundled with the computer.

    One of your neighbors has one. Why not ask?
    Plato, Oct 25, 2004