    and package.

    They sent me a foreign version minus all parts.

    I will deal with individuals, but no more "Power sellers"

    Beach Runner, Jul 21, 2006

  2. Beach Runner

    woops Guest

    "Beach Runner" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > recently ordered a Canon SD700. Asked if it was the American version
    > and package.
    >
    > They sent me a foreign version minus all parts.
    >
    > I will deal with individuals, but no more "Power sellers"

    my last few deals with individuals went bad (failure to pay, non US bidders
    bidding when excluded, failure to ship)

    the rating system encourages false high ratings out of fear of a retaliation
    negative

    woops, Jul 21, 2006

  3. ? "Beach Runner" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > recently ordered a Canon SD700. Asked if it was the American version
    > and package.
    >
    > They sent me a foreign version minus all parts.
    >
    > I will deal with individuals, but no more "Power sellers"

    Yeah, much better get a *cheaper* camera (but brand-new)than some camera
    that someone else for some reasons doesn't want anymore.Here, they say you
    shouldn't buy a pig in a bag, but check it first.(Off topic-almost every
    week I dream I have switched back on film and got back my relic SLR-Nikon
    FM-2 complete with a russian (soviet?)flash, 24mm 2.5 Tamron, 50mm 1.4
    Nikkor,70-210 sigma, which I have given away, and the person who gives it
    back to me tells'Go and get your darkroom equipment back, don't be a fool,
    film's better'I decided after waking up that I will get a photo-inkjet
    printer as soon as I have the money).

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    542nd mechanized infantry batallion

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jul 21, 2006
  4. Well....on the other hand. When my Oly E-10 started looking kind of worn I
    bought an E-20 on Ebay and got one in virtually unused condition. I guess it
    can go both ways.

    --
    Thanks,
    Gene Palmiter

    Gene Palmiter, Jul 21, 2006
  5. Beach Runner

    EDM Guest

    "woops" <> wrote in message news:...

    > "Beach Runner" <> wrote in message
    > > recently ordered a Canon SD700. Asked if it was the American version
    > > and package.
    > >
    > > They sent me a foreign version minus all parts.
    > >
    > > I will deal with individuals, but no more "Power sellers"
    > >

    > my last few deals with individuals went bad (failure to pay, non US bidders
    > bidding when excluded, failure to ship)
    >
    > the rating system encourages false high ratings out of fear of a retaliation
    > negative

    Exactly. Most of eBay's policies are skewed in sellers favor.
    After all, eBay receives 95% of their revenue from sellers.
    And let's not even go into Paypal, with their useless "buyer
    protection".

    The previous advice is good: you'll get real deals far more
    often from private parties. And avoid "power sellers".

    EDM, Jul 21, 2006
  6. Beach Runner

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Beach Runner wrote:

    > recently ordered a Canon SD700. Asked if it was the American version
    > and package.
    >
    > They sent me a foreign version minus all parts.
    >
    > I will deal with individuals, but no more "Power sellers"

    I won't spend more than $100 on eBay. I limit my purchases to
    things like memory cards and batteries. That way I'll never get
    badly stung.

    Most of my big ticket purchases are at local dealers. It costs
    a bit more than ordering from abroad off the net, but provides more
    peace of mind.

    Jim Townsend, Jul 21, 2006
  7. Beach Runner

    jeremy Guest

    "Jim Townsend" <> wrote in message
    > Beach Runner wrote:
    >
    >> recently ordered a Canon SD700. Asked if it was the American version
    >> and package.
    >>
    >> They sent me a foreign version minus all parts.
    >>
    >> I will deal with individuals, but no more "Power sellers"

    > I won't spend more than $100 on eBay. I limit my purchases to
    > things like memory cards and batteries. That way I'll never get
    > badly stung.
    >
    > Most of my big ticket purchases are at local dealers. It costs
    > a bit more than ordering from abroad off the net, but provides more
    > peace of mind.

    One really needs to use an escrow service if the loss of one's money is
    significant.

    I agree with the spending cap. I have rarely spent more than $100 on any
    transaction.

    It is also important to use PayPal, rather than give out your credit card
    number directly to the seller. One cannot know what the seller might do
    with that information--especially if he gets the 3-digit security code that
    can be found in the signature area. Too much risk of identity theft.

    jeremy, Jul 21, 2006
  8. Beach Runner

    Helen Guest

    > recently ordered a Canon SD700. Asked if it was the American version
    > and package.

    And did they answer you?

    > They sent me a foreign version minus all parts.
    >
    > I will deal with individuals, but no more "Power sellers"

    I wouldn't buy a drink of water via ebay. I suspect 95% of its sellers to
    be ripoff artists.

    Helen, Jul 21, 2006
  9. Beach Runner

    Eric Miller Guest

    Its not all that difficult to avoid the scams if you use your brain. Turn it
    off for a second though and you can get taken very quickly. Just remember
    the adage about the fool and his money and don't be one.

    Eric Miller

    Eric Miller, Jul 21, 2006
  10. Beach Runner

    J. Clarke Guest

    woops wrote:

    > "Beach Runner" <> wrote in message
    >> recently ordered a Canon SD700. Asked if it was the American version
    >> and package.
    >>
    >> They sent me a foreign version minus all parts.
    >>
    >> I will deal with individuals, but no more "Power sellers"
    >>

    > my last few deals with individuals went bad (failure to pay, non US
    > bidders bidding when excluded, failure to ship)
    >
    > the rating system encourages false high ratings out of fear of a
    > retaliation negative

    Blame some of that on PayPain. Went to buy something today, found out my
    account is frozen because I didn't accept some user agreement or other
    within 30 days, and they don't give me any way to accept the user agreement
    other than to email them and wait "up to 30 days for resolution". Why is
    it that _every_ _single_ time I try to use that crummy service there's some
    kind of hassle? Last time it wouldn't take the same credit card that B&H
    takes with no trouble at all and I ended up having to transfer funds into a
    Paypal account, which funds are now frozen until they get done with their
    autoproctological exercise.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, Jul 21, 2006
  11. In article <>, Helen
    <> writes

    >"Beach Runner" <> wrote in message
    >> recently ordered a Canon SD700. Asked if it was the American version
    >> and package.
    >>

    >And did they answer you?
    >

    >> They sent me a foreign version minus all parts.
    >>
    >> I will deal with individuals, but no more "Power sellers"
    >>

    >I wouldn't buy a drink of water via ebay. I suspect 95% of its sellers to
    >be ripoff artists.

    I understand the need to be careful, but this is rather a gloomy view -
    and one which will cause you to lose a potential good source for certain
    types of item.

    I have about 150 purchases, and had very few unsatisfactory items. One
    or two were through my failure to check condition before buying
    (inexperience), were replaced or refunded promptly and without quibble.
    None were what I would call a "rip-off".

    Mostly these were second-hand microscope accessories, with a fair
    sprinkling of photo items, books and other stuff. Mixture of private,
    internet regular traders and conventional traders with premises; no
    particular difference between them.

    Yes, if you hope to buy a current or near-current item for much less
    than the going rate, from a seller in Outer Mongolia, who only accepts
    payment by Western Union order, then you are going to get reamed out,
    and serve you right. Otherwise, watch for the regulars, do one or two
    deals with them, and get to feel comfortable.

    David
    --
    David Littlewood

    David Littlewood, Jul 21, 2006
  12. Beach Runner

    irwell Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 13:35:19 -0500, "Eric Miller"
    <> wrote:

    >Its not all that difficult to avoid the scams if you use your brain. Turn it
    >off for a second though and you can get taken very quickly. Just remember
    >the adage about the fool and his money and don't be one.
    >
    >Eric Miller
    >
    >"Beach Runner" <> wrote in message
    >> recently ordered a Canon SD700. Asked if it was the American version
    >> and package.
    >>
    >> They sent me a foreign version minus all parts.
    >>
    >> I will deal with individuals, but no more "Power sellers"

    Amazon.com have a decent buying/selling system.
    They take a commission, if you sell, they credit your bank
    account with the money from the buyer's credit card.
    Have both sold and bought that way with good results.
    You do get the African missionary type scam answering
    the ads but they won't use Amazon.com means of paying
    so they are easy to spot, and Amazon gives a warning
    along with the forwarded e-mail.

    irwell, Jul 21, 2006
  13. Beach Runner <> wrote:
    > recently ordered a Canon SD700. Asked if it was the American version
    > and package.
    >
    > They sent me a foreign version minus all parts.
    >
    > I will deal with individuals, but no more "Power sellers"

    It seems that PowerSellers are driving away the root business of users like
    you and me that sell things we have on an individual basis. So, Ebay is
    increasing the rates for stores and other similar types. I am curious how
    this will play out.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Jul 21, 2006
  14. Jim Townsend <> wrote:
    > Beach Runner wrote:
    >
    >> recently ordered a Canon SD700. Asked if it was the American version
    >> and package.
    >>
    >> They sent me a foreign version minus all parts.
    >>
    >> I will deal with individuals, but no more "Power sellers"

    > I won't spend more than $100 on eBay. I limit my purchases to
    > things like memory cards and batteries. That way I'll never get
    > badly stung.
    >
    > Most of my big ticket purchases are at local dealers. It costs
    > a bit more than ordering from abroad off the net, but provides more
    > peace of mind.

    I purchased and sold MANY things on Ebay and have yet to be stung. The key is
    not to bid without paying attention to feedback and payment methods, etc. I
    often go through several of the previous auctions from a seller and I always
    pay attention to how long they have been an Ebay member. There are hijackers
    out there that send emails to get login information and I have to believe they
    succeed ... so checking out a sellers history carefully is time well spent.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Jul 21, 2006
  15. Beach Runner

    jeremy Guest

    "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message

    > Blame some of that on PayPain. Went to buy something today, found out my
    > account is frozen because I didn't accept some user agreement or other
    > within 30 days, and they don't give me any way to accept the user
    > agreement
    > other than to email them and wait "up to 30 days for resolution". Why is
    > it that _every_ _single_ time I try to use that crummy service there's
    > some
    > kind of hassle?

    They have the monopoly on auction payment systems. Their major advantage is
    that we do not have to give our checking account or credit card information
    directly to the seller, and there is much protection in that.

    PayPal has suspended my account several times, claiming that someone was
    trying to tamper with it. How could anyone but me even know my PayPal login
    information? They're a pain in the butt, but we have no choice right now.
    I would never turn over my financial info to some unknown seller that
    operates under a screen name. But I agree with you that using PayPal is
    often a frustrating experience.

    jeremy, Jul 21, 2006
  16. Beach Runner

    Frank ess Guest

    jeremy wrote:
    > "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Blame some of that on PayPain. Went to buy something today, found
    >> out my account is frozen because I didn't accept some user
    >> agreement
    >> or other within 30 days, and they don't give me any way to accept
    >> the user agreement
    >> other than to email them and wait "up to 30 days for resolution".
    >> Why is it that _every_ _single_ time I try to use that crummy
    >> service there's some
    >> kind of hassle?

    > They have the monopoly on auction payment systems. Their major
    > advantage is that we do not have to give our checking account or
    > credit card information directly to the seller, and there is much
    > protection in that.
    > PayPal has suspended my account several times, claiming that someone
    > was trying to tamper with it. How could anyone but me even know my
    > PayPal login information? They're a pain in the butt, but we have
    > no
    > choice right now. I would never turn over my financial info to some
    > unknown seller that operates under a screen name. But I agree with
    > you that using PayPal is often a frustrating experience.

    I've been using PayPal for quite some time and in many, many
    transactions, but never had it suspended; I do, however, receive a
    dozen "spoof" emails a week, phishing for the useful login
    information.

    It's the 30-days waiting for resolution that scares me. Even if
    whatever it is is resolved in your favor, frozen is frozen, and might
    cripple essential activities, if a separate account isn't isolated
    beforehand.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Jul 21, 2006
  17. Beach Runner

    J. Clarke Guest

    Frank ess wrote:

    > jeremy wrote:
    >> "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Blame some of that on PayPain. Went to buy something today, found
    >>> out my account is frozen because I didn't accept some user
    >>> agreement
    >>> or other within 30 days, and they don't give me any way to accept
    >>> the user agreement
    >>> other than to email them and wait "up to 30 days for resolution".
    >>> Why is it that _every_ _single_ time I try to use that crummy
    >>> service there's some
    >>> kind of hassle?

    >> They have the monopoly on auction payment systems. Their major
    >> advantage is that we do not have to give our checking account or
    >> credit card information directly to the seller, and there is much
    >> protection in that.
    >> PayPal has suspended my account several times, claiming that someone
    >> was trying to tamper with it. How could anyone but me even know my
    >> PayPal login information? They're a pain in the butt, but we have
    >> no
    >> choice right now. I would never turn over my financial info to some
    >> unknown seller that operates under a screen name. But I agree with
    >> you that using PayPal is often a frustrating experience.

    > I've been using PayPal for quite some time and in many, many
    > transactions, but never had it suspended; I do, however, receive a
    > dozen "spoof" emails a week, phishing for the useful login
    > information.
    >
    > It's the 30-days waiting for resolution that scares me. Even if
    > whatever it is is resolved in your favor, frozen is frozen, and might
    > cripple essential activities, if a separate account isn't isolated
    > beforehand.

    Yeah, that's the big problem--I'm either going to have to send the guy a
    check or cancel the transaction. If they want me to click through some
    agreement or other they can at least have the decency to provide the
    click-through button.

    J. Clarke, Jul 21, 2006
  18. Frank ess wrote:

    > I've been using PayPal for quite some time and in many, many
    > transactions, but never had it suspended; I do, however, receive a
    > dozen "spoof" emails a week, phishing for the useful login
    > information.

    I can't imagine and legitimate and honest seller getting their PayPal
    account locked. It just never happens.

    Rita

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Jul 22, 2006
  19. Beach Runner wrote:

    > recently ordered a Canon SD700. Asked if it was the American version
    > and package.
    >
    > They sent me a foreign version minus all parts.
    >
    > I will deal with individuals, but no more "Power sellers"

    This problem was created by the utmost stupidity of the buyer, you. First
    off, you never buy from any other dealer than Cameta on eBay. Secondly, you
    *NEVER* pay for any on-line transaction with anything other than a CC or a
    CC funded PayPal payment. And lastly, you always research your purchase and
    the seller you plan to do business with. This whole fiasco was caused by
    your laziness and unwillingness to properly research your purchase.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Jul 22, 2006
  20. On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:11:32 -0400, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04
    @aol.com> wrote:

    >This whole fiasco was caused by
    >your laziness and unwillingness to properly research your purchase.

    Ah, "Rita" -- always handy with a helpful word, aren't you?
    You're such a doll.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    Raphael Bustin, Jul 22, 2006