Things Not Usually Seen From My Back Yard...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Twibil, Sep 24, 2009.

  1. Twibil

    Twibil Guest

    Taken at 4:30 P.M. out of my back window. Oh shit!
    Location, Crafton Hills, CA. Circa one mile north of my home.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3949269189/sizes/o/

    Crafton Hills College students evacuate in a hurry. The flames were
    closing on the school at around 20-30 MPH, pushed by a stiff Santa Ana
    wind.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3950050476/sizes/o/

    The Big Dog -a Douglas DC-10 Jumbo Jet converted for fire-fighting-
    shows up to survey the scene. People on the ground were actually
    applauding the plane.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3950050476/sizes/o/

    This sequence shows a DC-10 borate bombing run from beginning to end:
    12,000 gallons of bright red fire retardant dropped in about ten
    seconds, forming a swath almost a mile long.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3950057708/sizes/o/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3950058534/sizes/o/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3949279103/sizes/o/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3949280111/sizes/o/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3949281219/sizes/o/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3949282341/sizes/o/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3950063648/sizes/o/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3949285573/sizes/o/

    Watching a 180 foot long Jumbo Jet get down to less than a fuselage-
    length above the ridgelines -at just above stalling speed- in order to
    hit his target accurately will give you an instant dose of respect for
    the flight crew! (Whatever they're paying them, it isn't enough!)

    The fire is still burning tonight, but that last run by the DC-10 kept
    it from getting to the college; and the borate-bombers and helicopters
    will be hitting it again just as soon as the sun comes up.

    ~Pete
    Twibil, Sep 24, 2009

  2. Twibil

    Twibil Guest

    On Sep 24, 1:11 am, Twibil <> wrote:

    >> The Big Dog -a Douglas DC-10 Jumbo Jet converted for fire-fighting-

    > shows up to survey the scene. People on the ground were actually
    > applauding the plane.
    >
    > Whoops. (Dumps wrong URL) Sorry.

    (Inserts correct one.)

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3950056456/sizes/o/
    Twibil, Sep 24, 2009

  3. Twibil

    John Turco Guest

    Twibil wrote:

    > Taken at 4:30 P.M. out of my back window. Oh shit!
    > Location, Crafton Hills, CA. Circa one mile north of my home.
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3949269189/sizes/o/
    >
    > Crafton Hills College students evacuate in a hurry. The flames were
    > closing on the school at around 20-30 MPH, pushed by a stiff Santa Ana
    > wind.
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3950050476/sizes/o/
    >
    > The Big Dog -a Douglas DC-10 Jumbo Jet converted for fire-fighting-
    > shows up to survey the scene. People on the ground were actually
    > applauding the plane.
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3950050476/sizes/o/
    >
    > This sequence shows a DC-10 borate bombing run from beginning to end:
    > 12,000 gallons of bright red fire retardant dropped in about ten
    > seconds, forming a swath almost a mile long.
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3950057708/sizes/o/
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3950058534/sizes/o/
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3949279103/sizes/o/
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3949280111/sizes/o/
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3949281219/sizes/o/
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3949282341/sizes/o/
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3950063648/sizes/o/
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3949285573/sizes/o/
    >
    > Watching a 180 foot long Jumbo Jet get down to less than a fuselage-
    > length above the ridgelines -at just above stalling speed- in order to
    > hit his target accurately will give you an instant dose of respect for
    > the flight crew! (Whatever they're paying them, it isn't enough!)
    >
    > The fire is still burning tonight, but that last run by the DC-10 kept
    > it from getting to the college; and the borate-bombers and helicopters
    > will be hitting it again just as soon as the sun comes up.
    >
    > ~Pete

    Pretty good pix! It's unfortunate that nobody has bothered commenting
    on any of them, either in <news:rec.photo.digital> or on Flickr.com.

    Hence, I've just remedied this situation (to a very small extent),
    here.

    (Hope no one was seriously injured, by the way.)

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    Paintings Pain and Pun <http://laughatthepain.blogspot.com>