Things I need to know

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Aug 28, 2006.

  1. On Wednesday I should be receiving all the bits to build my new computer -
    based around a Conroe 2.67Ghz CPU and an Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi Solo
    motherboard.

    I have ordered WinXP x64 Pro as the operating system as I would like to
    fully utilise the 4Gb of RAM which I will be installing.

    I have Norton Internet Security 2006 but I believe this will not work in XP
    x64 - is there anything else available which doesn't cost an arm and a leg??

    As a professional photographer, good colour management is vital to me, will
    the Colour Control Applet work in XP x64??

    My colour profiling software will not work in WinXP x32 apparently (needs
    64-bit drivers for my XRite puck). Will a profile which has been generated
    in Windows XP x32 work in XP x64?? The .icm file afterall is only a file
    which describes the colour characteristics of my monitor - but I would need a
    profile loader at startup, which is why I asked about the Colour Control
    Applet.

    Any other do's and don'ts would also be helpful.

    Thank you in advance

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Aug 28, 2006

  2. Norton won't work. That's the _good news_. I have now reached the point with
    their products that I actively advise clients to not use it, and if they
    have it installed to rip it out, if they can. Usually they have to call me
    to do it.

    There are viable x64 Anti-Virus alternatives. I've got a list on my blog
    site I try to keep up to date, but my personal preference is for AVG's.

    For Anti-Malware, I'm using Microsoft's Defender - still in beta, but
    working better than anything else I've seen.

    So far we haven't had a whole lot of users here reporting on their use of
    colour profiling, so I honestly don't know how well it will work. I know
    we'd all appreciate your reporting back here with your experiences.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 29, 2006

  3. Let me help you on the protection side.
    There's an antivirus for x64 used by many of us around here.
    It is avast (www.avast.com).
    It even has a freeware version.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Aug 29, 2006
  4. Fully agree with Charlie about the Norton thing.
    Dumped it forever!
    On the firewall side, I've seen reports that the embedded Windows Firewall
    is quite good.
    Also fond this freeware x64 simple firewall:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Firewall/GhostWall.shtml
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Aug 29, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Charlie's AVG has a free version and has a reasonable security package
    (A/V-firewall)

    John Barnes, Aug 29, 2006
  6. So let's then give Carol the link she needs for Charlie's recommendation (AVG
    Antivirus & Firewall):
    http://www.grisoft.com/doc/5/lng/us/tpl/tpl01
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Aug 29, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Free edition http://www.grisoft.com/doc/289/lng/us/tpl/tpl01
    Plus http://www.grisoft.com/doc/avgplusfw/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

    Charlie's recommendation is 4 posts above.

    John Barnes, Aug 29, 2006
  8. Thanks guys for the antivirus (and malware) tips. I'm using AdAware at the
    moment in a 32-bit environment - does anybody know if this works in a 64-bit
    system or should I just move to Defender??

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=, Aug 29, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=

    John Barnes Guest

    AdAware works just fine in 64-bit

    John Barnes, Aug 29, 2006
  10. Thank you...

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 29, 2006
  11. yup, works fine. Though I admit, I haven't used it in quite a while, since I
    switched. But I don't know of any reason to not use it, so if you're
    comfortable with it, by all means, stick with it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 29, 2006
  12. A colour profile generated in 32-bit XP will work in x64.

    As long as your graphics driver allows you to assign a colour management
    profile to the monitor(s) you can use any profile you want as the default
    for that monitor. The profile applies to all monitors. Separate profiles for
    different monitors are not supported.

    The Pantone Eye-One Display 2 has x64 drivers.

    Dominic Payer, Aug 29, 2006