    I can easily clear it, but why does it keep track at all?

    Thank you for your time!
    -md

    dimestore, Jul 11, 2005

  2. dimestore

    Ed Mullen Guest

    dimestore wrote:

    > There are some things that I can't seem to figure out how to do.
    >
    > 1. Have visited links change color. They won't change if I refresh, or when
    > I come back to them. There is a setting for this, yet it doesn't work for
    > me. I have a friend who uses FF and his visited links change color. I
    > have checked knowledge base for this one, but the only advice seems to be
    > "deal with it" and arguments over whether it's a duplicated discussion of
    > other bugs that all have the same arguments with no solutions.

    Don't know about this one. Have you created a userChrome.css and/or a
    userContent.css file? It's possible to override the GUI display
    settings this way.

    > 2. Show history of web page addresses that I have typed in the search bar.
    > I can't seem to get history to work at all, nor can I find settings for it.

    Tools - Options - Privacy - History.

    > 3. Set it to NOT show a history of downloads. I know
    > I can easily clear it, but why does it keep track at all?

    Go to the above GUI location and set it to 0 days. No history will be
    saved and, hence, no listings will be in the history display if you
    activate it.

    BTW, items 2 and 3 seem to be contradictory, one asking for history to
    display and the other asking for it not to display. Both the visited
    links and the entered links history are tied together. If you use the
    clear history function you'll clear them both. If you have history set
    to 0 days the location bar history will be cleared upon exiting the program.

    > Thank you for your time!
    > -md

    No problem.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jul 11, 2005

  3. dimestore

    Z Guest

    dimestore wrote:
    > 1. Have visited links change color. They won't change if I refresh, or when
    > I come back to them. There is a setting for this, yet it doesn't work for
    > me. I have a friend who uses FF and his visited links change color. I
    > have checked knowledge base for this one, but the only advice seems to be
    > "deal with it" and arguments over whether it's a duplicated discussion of
    > other bugs that all have the same arguments with no solutions.
    >
    > 2. Show history of web page addresses that I have typed in the search bar.
    > I can't seem to get history to work at all, nor can I find settings for it.

    Both of these issues seem to point to history being disabled.

    Tools > Options > Privacy > History

    What's "Remember visited pages for the last ___ days" set to?

    > 3. Set it to NOT show a history of downloads. I know
    > I can easily clear it, but why does it keep track at all?

    I don't know why it does it, but you can tell it to stop:

    Tools > Options > Privacy > Download Manager History

    Z, Jul 11, 2005
  4. dimestore

    Moz Champion Guest

    dimestore wrote:
    > There are some things that I can't seem to figure out how to do.
    >
    > 1. Have visited links change color. They won't change if I refresh, or when
    > I come back to them. There is a setting for this, yet it doesn't work for
    > me. I have a friend who uses FF and his visited links change color. I
    > have checked knowledge base for this one, but the only advice seems to be
    > "deal with it" and arguments over whether it's a duplicated discussion of
    > other bugs that all have the same arguments with no solutions.
    >
    > 2. Show history of web page addresses that I have typed in the search bar.
    > I can't seem to get history to work at all, nor can I find settings for it.
    >
    > 3. Set it to NOT show a history of downloads. I know
    > I can easily clear it, but why does it keep track at all?
    >
    > Thank you for your time!
    > -md

    Some web pages dont supply differentization for links and used links,
    they specify the same colour for each

    You, however, have the capability to over-ride even those pages using
    [Firefox-->Preferences]*-->General <Fonts & Colors...>
    set the Link Colors to your taste, and select
    Always use my: X Colors

    History is controlled by use of
    [Firefox-->Preferences]*-->Privacy-->History
    set number of days you wish to keep the list for

    You can turn off Download Manager list by
    [Firefox-->Preferences]*-->Privacy-->Download Manager History
    by selecting the option <Upon successful download> there is no history
    of downloads kept

    *varies with OS
    Mac
    as above
    Windows
    [Tools-->Options]
    Linux
    [Edit-->Preferences]

    Moz Champion, Jul 11, 2005
  5. On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:17:02 GMT Moz Champion
    <> wrote:

    >dimestore wrote:
    >> There are some things that I can't seem to figure out how to do.
    >>
    >> 1. Have visited links change color. They won't change if I refresh, or when
    >> I come back to them. There is a setting for this, yet it doesn't work for
    >> me. I have a friend who uses FF and his visited links change color. I
    >> have checked knowledge base for this one, but the only advice seems to be
    >> "deal with it" and arguments over whether it's a duplicated discussion of
    >> other bugs that all have the same arguments with no solutions.
    >>
    >> 2. Show history of web page addresses that I have typed in the search bar.
    >> I can't seem to get history to work at all, nor can I find settings for it.
    >>
    >> 3. Set it to NOT show a history of downloads. I know
    >> I can easily clear it, but why does it keep track at all?
    >>
    >> Thank you for your time!
    >> -md
    >>

    >Some web pages dont supply differentization for links and used links,
    >they specify the same colour for each
    >
    >You, however, have the capability to over-ride even those pages using
    >[Firefox-->Preferences]*-->General <Fonts & Colors...>
    >set the Link Colors to your taste, and select
    >Always use my: X Colors
    >
    >History is controlled by use of
    >[Firefox-->Preferences]*-->Privacy-->History
    >set number of days you wish to keep the list for
    >
    >You can turn off Download Manager list by
    >[Firefox-->Preferences]*-->Privacy-->Download Manager History
    >by selecting the option <Upon successful download> there is no history
    >of downloads kept
    >
    >*varies with OS
    >Mac
    >as above
    >Windows
    >[Tools-->Options]
    >Linux
    >[Edit-->Preferences]

    When I read the OP's message I thought that I remembered the "Upon
    successful download" setting, but try as I might I could not find it
    in Firefox's options. I looked again after reading your instructions
    and discovered something rather strange: this selection no longer
    appears in my Download Manager History options dialog. Instead, the
    yellow dialog box terminates immediately under the line of text
    "Remove files from the Download Manager:", and the "Clear" button is
    grayed out. This is very odd, and I can't imagine what might have
    happened to cause this, but I am going to try uninstalling my
    extensions one at a time to see if one of them is responsible.
    --
    schrodinger's cat

    schrodinger's cat, Jul 12, 2005
  6. dimestore

    dimestore Guest

    Thank you so much Moz Champ! FF shall live!

    -md

    dimestore, Jul 12, 2005
  7. dimestore

    Moz Champion Guest

    schrodinger's cat wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:17:02 GMT Moz Champion
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>dimestore wrote:
    >>
    >>>There are some things that I can't seem to figure out how to do.
    >>>
    >>>1. Have visited links change color. They won't change if I refresh, or when
    >>>I come back to them. There is a setting for this, yet it doesn't work for
    >>>me. I have a friend who uses FF and his visited links change color. I
    >>>have checked knowledge base for this one, but the only advice seems to be
    >>>"deal with it" and arguments over whether it's a duplicated discussion of
    >>>other bugs that all have the same arguments with no solutions.
    >>>
    >>>2. Show history of web page addresses that I have typed in the search bar.
    >>>I can't seem to get history to work at all, nor can I find settings for it.
    >>>
    >>>3. Set it to NOT show a history of downloads. I know
    >>>I can easily clear it, but why does it keep track at all?
    >>>
    >>>Thank you for your time!
    >>>-md
    >>>

    >>Some web pages dont supply differentization for links and used links,
    >>they specify the same colour for each
    >>
    >>You, however, have the capability to over-ride even those pages using
    >>[Firefox-->Preferences]*-->General <Fonts & Colors...>
    >>set the Link Colors to your taste, and select
    >>Always use my: X Colors
    >>
    >>History is controlled by use of
    >>[Firefox-->Preferences]*-->Privacy-->History
    >>set number of days you wish to keep the list for
    >>
    >>You can turn off Download Manager list by
    >>[Firefox-->Preferences]*-->Privacy-->Download Manager History
    >>by selecting the option <Upon successful download> there is no history
    >>of downloads kept
    >>
    >>*varies with OS
    >>Mac
    >>as above
    >>Windows
    >>[Tools-->Options]
    >>Linux
    >>[Edit-->Preferences]

    > When I read the OP's message I thought that I remembered the "Upon
    > successful download" setting, but try as I might I could not find it
    > in Firefox's options. I looked again after reading your instructions
    > and discovered something rather strange: this selection no longer
    > appears in my Download Manager History options dialog. Instead, the
    > yellow dialog box terminates immediately under the line of text
    > "Remove files from the Download Manager:", and the "Clear" button is
    > grayed out. This is very odd, and I can't imagine what might have
    > happened to cause this, but I am going to try uninstalling my
    > extensions one at a time to see if one of them is responsible.

    Its the FIRST listing in my preferences
    Something is amiss here tho.

    The dialogue choice in my version uses these phrases

    Upon Successful Download
    When Firefox exits
    Manually

    It sounds as if you have an extension that is changing things.

    Moz Champion, Jul 12, 2005
  8. On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 08:43:29 GMT Moz Champion
    <> wrote:

    >schrodinger's cat wrote:
    >> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:17:02 GMT Moz Champion
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Some web pages dont supply differentization for links and used links,
    >>>they specify the same colour for each
    >>>
    >>>You, however, have the capability to over-ride even those pages using
    >>>[Firefox-->Preferences]*-->General <Fonts & Colors...>
    >>>set the Link Colors to your taste, and select
    >>>Always use my: X Colors
    >>>
    >>>History is controlled by use of
    >>>[Firefox-->Preferences]*-->Privacy-->History
    >>>set number of days you wish to keep the list for
    >>>
    >>>You can turn off Download Manager list by
    >>>[Firefox-->Preferences]*-->Privacy-->Download Manager History
    >>>by selecting the option <Upon successful download> there is no history
    >>>of downloads kept
    >>>
    >>>*varies with OS
    >>>Mac
    >>>as above
    >>>Windows
    >>>[Tools-->Options]
    >>>Linux
    >>>[Edit-->Preferences]

    >> When I read the OP's message I thought that I remembered the "Upon
    >> successful download" setting, but try as I might I could not find it
    >> in Firefox's options. I looked again after reading your instructions
    >> and discovered something rather strange: this selection no longer
    >> appears in my Download Manager History options dialog. Instead, the
    >> yellow dialog box terminates immediately under the line of text
    >> "Remove files from the Download Manager:", and the "Clear" button is
    >> grayed out. This is very odd, and I can't imagine what might have
    >> happened to cause this, but I am going to try uninstalling my
    >> extensions one at a time to see if one of them is responsible.

    >Its the FIRST listing in my preferences
    >Something is amiss here tho.
    >
    >The dialogue choice in my version uses these phrases
    >
    >Upon Successful Download
    >When Firefox exits
    >Manually
    >
    >It sounds as if you have an extension that is changing things.

    Well, something is going on here that I haven't been able to figure
    out yet. What has happened is that the drop-down list containing the 3
    phrases above has completely vanished from my Windows installation of
    Firefox. The options are still there on my Linux partition, but in the
    Windows version there is nothing at all visible after "Remove files
    from the Download Manager:" except the yellow background of the dialog
    box. I have uninstalled every extension and even gone so far as to
    back up and delete the prefs.js, user.js, userChrome.css, and
    userContent.css files from my profile to force a clean start, but the
    problem remains. I guess I will have to re-install FF, but I sure
    would like to know what caused this issue, because I know the options
    appeared correctly when the program was first installed.
    --
    schrodinger's cat

    schrodinger's cat, Jul 13, 2005
  9. On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:46:34 -0400 schrodinger's cat
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 08:43:29 GMT Moz Champion
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>schrodinger's cat wrote:

    >>> When I read the OP's message I thought that I remembered the "Upon
    >>> successful download" setting, but try as I might I could not find it
    >>> in Firefox's options. I looked again after reading your instructions
    >>> and discovered something rather strange: this selection no longer
    >>> appears in my Download Manager History options dialog. Instead, the
    >>> yellow dialog box terminates immediately under the line of text
    >>> "Remove files from the Download Manager:", and the "Clear" button is
    >>> grayed out. This is very odd, and I can't imagine what might have
    >>> happened to cause this, but I am going to try uninstalling my
    >>> extensions one at a time to see if one of them is responsible.

    >>Its the FIRST listing in my preferences
    >>Something is amiss here tho.
    >>
    >>The dialogue choice in my version uses these phrases
    >>
    >>Upon Successful Download
    >>When Firefox exits
    >>Manually
    >>
    >>It sounds as if you have an extension that is changing things.

    >Well, something is going on here that I haven't been able to figure
    >out yet. What has happened is that the drop-down list containing the 3
    >phrases above has completely vanished from my Windows installation of
    >Firefox. The options are still there on my Linux partition, but in the
    >Windows version there is nothing at all visible after "Remove files
    >from the Download Manager:" except the yellow background of the dialog
    >box. I have uninstalled every extension and even gone so far as to
    >back up and delete the prefs.js, user.js, userChrome.css, and
    >userContent.css files from my profile to force a clean start, but the
    >problem remains. I guess I will have to re-install FF, but I sure
    >would like to know what caused this issue, because I know the options
    >appeared correctly when the program was first installed.

    Just noticed 1.0.5 is out, so I downloaded it and tried installing it
    over 1.0.4 to see if that would repair this options dialog. No dice,
    so I guess it's a complete uninstall and re-install for me.
    --
    schrodinger's cat

    schrodinger's cat, Jul 13, 2005
  10. dimestore

    Z Guest

    schrodinger's cat wrote:
    > Just noticed 1.0.5 is out, so I downloaded it and tried installing it
    > over 1.0.4 to see if that would repair this options dialog. No dice,
    > so I guess it's a complete uninstall and re-install for me.

    DO NOT INSTALL A NEW VERSION OVER THE OLD ONE!

    Uninstall the old version
    Install the new version

    Z, Jul 13, 2005
  11. On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:36:06 -0700 Z <> wrote:

    >DO NOT INSTALL A NEW VERSION OVER THE OLD ONE!

    Unless I am mistaken, this is exactly what the built-in updater does.
    It seems to download the new version to your desktop, and then install
    it over the existing program. At least, I see no indication that it is
    uninstalling the old version. I have had no problems updating this way
    for the last couple of versions.
    --
    schrodinger's cat

    schrodinger's cat, Jul 13, 2005
  12. dimestore

    Z Guest

    schrodinger's cat wrote:
    >>DO NOT INSTALL A NEW VERSION OVER THE OLD ONE!

    > Unless I am mistaken, this is exactly what the built-in updater does.

    Yup.

    > It seems to download the new version to your desktop, and then install
    > it over the existing program. At least, I see no indication that it is
    > uninstalling the old version. I have had no problems updating this way
    > for the last couple of versions.

    Others have had muhco problemos not uninstalling the old version first.
    And once you update, if you have a problem, you can't uninstall the old
    version.

    Until the installer is fixed, odds are that you'll be bitten sooner or
    later.

    Z, Jul 13, 2005