Thin horizontal pinkish-purplish lines on my monitor ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by elrikk, Jul 18, 2004.

  1. elrikk

    elrikk Guest

    My Sony G420 19" monitor has the following symptoms;

    Thin pinkish-purplish lines every inch or so (depending on the resolution
    running; the higher the resolution the smaller the space between each line).

    The lines are parallel but not quite horizontal (about 15 degrees off).

    The space between lines (at 1280x1024) is smaller near the top of the
    screen; abou 1" apart. and gradually get bigger towards the bottom where
    they are about 2 " apart.

    The picture is still rock stable and the lines are only visibly bothersome
    depending on the background.

    Also if I adjust the picture (with the monitor controls) so that there is
    more of a border around the screen the lines extend into this border, ie.
    fill the screen from side to side.

    Also when a program puts up a black screen the whole screen becomes vaguely
    pinkish-purple with the lines still there.

    Any way, just hoping that these symptoms are recognisible to someone here.

    Any help appreciated.

    Elrikk (Mike Kay)

    elrikk, Jul 18, 2004

  2. elrikk

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "elrikk" <> wrote in message
    >| My Sony G420 19" monitor has the following symptoms;
    >|
    >| Thin pinkish-purplish lines every inch or so (depending on the
    >| resolution running; the higher the resolution the smaller the space
    >| between each line).
    >|
    >| The lines are parallel but not quite horizontal (about 15 degrees
    >| off).
    >|
    >| The space between lines (at 1280x1024) is smaller near the top of the
    >| screen; abou 1" apart. and gradually get bigger towards the bottom
    >| where they are about 2 " apart.
    >|
    >| The picture is still rock stable and the lines are only visibly
    >| bothersome depending on the background.
    >|
    >| Also if I adjust the picture (with the monitor controls) so that
    >| there is more of a border around the screen the lines extend into
    >| this border, ie. fill the screen from side to side.
    >|
    >| Also when a program puts up a black screen the whole screen becomes
    >| vaguely pinkish-purple with the lines still there.
    >|
    >| Any way, just hoping that these symptoms are recognisible to someone
    >| here.
    >|
    >| Any help appreciated.
    >|

    >| Elrikk (Mike Kay)

    Refresh lines - turn down the brightness and/or contrast.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jul 18, 2004

  3. elrikk

    elrikk Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > "elrikk" <> wrote in message
    > >| My Sony G420 19" monitor has the following symptoms;
    > >|
    > >| Thin pinkish-purplish lines every inch or so (depending on the
    > >| resolution running; the higher the resolution the smaller the space
    > >| between each line).
    > >|
    > >| The lines are parallel but not quite horizontal (about 15 degrees
    > >| off).
    > >|
    > >| The space between lines (at 1280x1024) is smaller near the top of the
    > >| screen; abou 1" apart. and gradually get bigger towards the bottom
    > >| where they are about 2 " apart.
    > >|
    > >| The picture is still rock stable and the lines are only visibly
    > >| bothersome depending on the background.
    > >|
    > >| Also if I adjust the picture (with the monitor controls) so that
    > >| there is more of a border around the screen the lines extend into
    > >| this border, ie. fill the screen from side to side.
    > >|
    > >| Also when a program puts up a black screen the whole screen becomes
    > >| vaguely pinkish-purple with the lines still there.
    > >|
    > >| Any way, just hoping that these symptoms are recognisible to someone
    > >| here.
    > >|
    > >| Any help appreciated.
    > >|

    > >| Elrikk (Mike Kay)

    > Refresh lines - turn down the brightness and/or contrast.
    >
    > --
    > "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
    > THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Thanks for the reply.

    It didn't help but when I went to try adjusting them I saw that the
    brightness is way down ( at 10 on 1 1-100 scale). When I increase the
    brightness it gets much to whiteish, as if the gamma was too high but no
    amount of meddleing with the controls gives me a screen that I like to look
    at.

    Could the problem lie in the brightness and/or contrast circuits ?

    I'm in a wheelchair and so it is a big hassle to take it in to a Sony
    repair centre. Hoping to get some diagnosis before resorting to doing so.

    Elrikk (Mike Kay)

    elrikk, Jul 18, 2004
  4. elrikk

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "elrikk" <> wrote in message
    >| "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >| > "elrikk" <> wrote in message
    >| > >|
    >| > >|
    >| > >|
    >| > >|
    >| > >|
    >| > >|
    >| > >|
    >| > >|
    >| > >|
    >| > >|

    >| > Refresh lines - turn down the brightness and/or contrast.
    >| >

    >| Thanks for the reply.
    >|
    >| It didn't help but when I went to try adjusting them I saw that the
    >| brightness is way down ( at 10 on 1 1-100 scale). When I increase
    >| the brightness it gets much to whiteish, as if the gamma was too
    >| high but no amount of meddleing with the controls gives me a screen
    >| that I like to look at.
    >|
    >| Could the problem lie in the brightness and/or contrast circuits ?
    >|
    >| I'm in a wheelchair and so it is a big hassle to take it in to a
    >| Sony repair centre. Hoping to get some diagnosis before resorting
    >| to doing so.
    >|
    >| Elrikk (Mike Kay)

    It's been way too many years since I did "real" electronics work...heck, I
    started with tubes (valves for those across the pond <wink>) and transitors,
    and dropped out when TVs went digital. But it sounds to me if your
    brightness is that low, and your screen gets white when you move it up, I'd
    be thinking the master brightness (inside) is not correct.

    How long has the monitor been like this? Is the monitor still under
    warranty?

    We do have some more "up-to-date" techie types who post here - maybe they'll
    check in sometime and have more info...

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jul 18, 2004
  5. elrikk

    SgtMinor Guest

    Some sites to help you tune the display:

    http://pages.prodigy.net/ecmorris/tips/monitor.htm

    http://www.tinmangallery.com/0monitor/monitorevaluation.html

    SgtMinor, Jul 18, 2004
  6. elrikk

    elrikk Guest

    "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    > Some sites to help you tune the display:
    >
    > http://pages.prodigy.net/ecmorris/tips/monitor.htm
    >
    > http://www.tinmangallery.com/0monitor/monitorevaluation.html

    Thanks for all the info.

    While adjusting things as per site 1 above I couldnt get things to look
    right even though the color tests looked fine.

    Then I noticed a monitor control I hadn't noticed before - "Image
    Restoration".

    "Oh what the heck." says I, "Probably can't hurt."

    The monitor went through all manner of contortions for about 15 seconds and
    then stopped. "Voila! Perfect picture."

    Duh! Can't believe I've lived with this problem for the couple of months,
    not to mention the worry about the cost on a new monitor.

    So thanks again. Very happy camper here. ;o)

    Elrikk (Mike Kay)

    elrikk, Jul 18, 2004
  7. elrikk

    SgtMinor Guest

    elrikk wrote:

    > "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    > > Some sites to help you tune the display:
    > >
    > > http://pages.prodigy.net/ecmorris/tips/monitor.htm
    > >
    > > http://www.tinmangallery.com/0monitor/monitorevaluation.html

    > Thanks for all the info.
    >
    > While adjusting things as per site 1 above I couldnt get things to look
    > right even though the color tests looked fine.
    >
    > Then I noticed a monitor control I hadn't noticed before - "Image
    > Restoration".
    >
    > "Oh what the heck." says I, "Probably can't hurt."
    >
    > The monitor went through all manner of contortions for about 15 seconds and
    > then stopped. "Voila! Perfect picture."
    >
    > Duh! Can't believe I've lived with this problem for the couple of months,
    > not to mention the worry about the cost on a new monitor.
    >
    > So thanks again. Very happy camper here. ;o)
    >
    > Elrikk (Mike Kay)

    Nice to hear that you have things straightened out. I had checked out
    Sony's site and didn't find much, but I did learn that the monitor came
    with a nice instruction manual. If you've lost yours you can download
    one here: http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/sosdocs/search.asp - type in
    CPDG420. Good luck.

    SgtMinor, Jul 18, 2004
  8. elrikk

    elrikk Guest

    "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message

    > Nice to hear that you have things straightened out. I had checked out
    > Sony's site and didn't find much, but I did learn that the monitor came
    > with a nice instruction manual. If you've lost yours you can download
    > one here: http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/sosdocs/search.asp - type in
    > CPDG420. Good luck.

    Thanks again but I downloaded the manual a couple of days ago. My original
    is around here somewhere but . . .

    Elrikk ;o)

    elrikk, Jul 18, 2004
  9. elrikk

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "elrikk" <> wrote in message
    >| "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    >|
    >| > Nice to hear that you have things straightened out. I had checked
    >| > out Sony's site and didn't find much, but I did learn that the
    >| > monitor came with a nice instruction manual. If you've lost yours
    >| > you can download one here:
    >| > http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/sosdocs/search.asp - type in CPDG420.
    >| > Good luck.
    >|
    >| Thanks again but I downloaded the manual a couple of days ago. My
    >| original is around here somewhere but . . .
    >|
    >| Elrikk ;o)

    Yeah - I hear that <g>! If anyone needed a manual in *my* messy office,
    they'd be SOL.

    Glad to hear you got things 'looking good' again.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jul 18, 2004