    and give a moment of silence to honor them.

    <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2007/sacrafice.htm>

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Jul 5, 2007

  2. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

    > On this festive 4thn of July. So let's not forget them and bow our heads
    > and give a moment of silence to honor them.
    >
    > <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2007/sacrafice.htm>

    Dang! Why can't we have an Independence Day in the UK too?

    Mind you, it'd probably rain if we tried a BBQ...
    Stewy, Jul 5, 2007

  3. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Ray Macey Guest

    On Jul 5, 1:14 pm, Stewy <> wrote:

    > Dang! Why can't we have an Independence Day in the UK too?

    Mostly because most countries that do celebrate independance are
    celebrating independace /from/ the UK :)
    Ray Macey, Jul 5, 2007
  4. Stewy wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On this festive 4thn of July. So let's not forget them and bow our heads
    >> and give a moment of silence to honor them.
    >>
    >> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2007/sacrafice.htm>
    >>

    > Dang! Why can't we have an Independence Day in the UK too?
    >
    > Mind you, it'd probably rain if we tried a BBQ...

    Weren't you owned by the French at some point many centuries ago? You
    could celebrate that, << vraiement!>>
    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Jul 5, 2007
  5. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Billy Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 04:24:06 -0000, Ray Macey <>
    wrote:

    >On Jul 5, 1:14 pm, Stewy <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Dang! Why can't we have an Independence Day in the UK too?

    >Mostly because most countries that do celebrate independance are
    >celebrating independace /from/ the UK :)

    So we in Scotland can have an Independence Day?
    Billy, Jul 5, 2007
  6. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Stewy wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On this festive 4thn of July. So let's not forget them and bow our heads
    >> and give a moment of silence to honor them.
    >>
    >> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2007/sacrafice.htm>
    >>

    > Dang! Why can't we have an Independence Day in the UK too?
    >
    > Mind you, it'd probably rain if we tried a BBQ...

    Well, you could dig up the dates of many cases wherein foreign invaders
    were driven from British soil, and cerebrate one, or all, of them. grin.
    As for rain, we have been seeing a LOT of it here lately as well.

    The rain it falleth on the just
    And also on the unjust fellow
    But mostly on the just, because
    The unjust steals the just's umbrella.

    Wish I knew the author of that one.....
    Ron Hunter, Jul 5, 2007
  7. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Jonathan Guest

    Billy wrote:
    > On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 04:24:06 -0000, Ray Macey <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Jul 5, 1:14 pm, Stewy <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Dang! Why can't we have an Independence Day in the UK too?

    >> Mostly because most countries that do celebrate independance are
    >> celebrating independace /from/ the UK :)

    > So we in Scotland can have an Independence Day?

    You wear kilts, now that being independent isn't it?
    Jonathan, Jul 5, 2007
  8. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Fred Guest

    "Billy" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 04:24:06 -0000, Ray Macey <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Jul 5, 1:14 pm, Stewy <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Dang! Why can't we have an Independence Day in the UK too?

    >>Mostly because most countries that do celebrate independance are
    >>celebrating independace /from/ the UK :)

    > So we in Scotland can have an Independence Day?

    We can't let all our colonies go old chap :eek:)
    Fred, Jul 5, 2007
  9. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Gizmo. Guest

    "Billy" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 04:24:06 -0000, Ray Macey <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Jul 5, 1:14 pm, Stewy <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Dang! Why can't we have an Independence Day in the UK too?

    >>Mostly because most countries that do celebrate independance are
    >>celebrating independace /from/ the UK :)

    > So we in Scotland can have an Independence Day?

    Nah, not yet.
    It'd be a good start if you built a wall or something between Scotland and
    England ... ;o)
    Gizmo., Jul 5, 2007
  10. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Pat Guest

    On Jul 4, 11:14 pm, Stewy <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    >
    > > On this festive 4thn of July. So let's not forget them and bow our heads
    > > and give a moment of silence to honor them.

    > > <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2007/sacrafice.htm>

    > Dang! Why can't we have an Independence Day in the UK too?
    >
    > Mind you, it'd probably rain if we tried a BBQ...

    I thought you guys had the 4th of July in the UK. If you didn't,
    would keep the 3rd of July from bumping into the 5th of July?

    :)

    Now if we could just figure out why the Canadians have Thanksgiving on
    Columbus Day....
    Pat, Jul 5, 2007
  11. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Allen Guest

    Gizmo. wrote:
    > "Billy" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 04:24:06 -0000, Ray Macey <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Mostly because most countries that do celebrate independance are
    >>> celebrating independace /from/ the UK :)

    >> So we in Scotland can have an Independence Day?

    > Nah, not yet.
    > It'd be a good start if you built a wall or something between Scotland and
    > England ... ;o)

    Sorry--Hadrian beat you to that idea. But his plan was to keep the Scots
    out of England.
    Allen
    Allen, Jul 5, 2007
  12. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    timeOday Guest

    Billy wrote:
    > On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 04:24:06 -0000, Ray Macey <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>On Jul 5, 1:14 pm, Stewy <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Dang! Why can't we have an Independence Day in the UK too?

    >>Mostly because most countries that do celebrate independance are
    >>celebrating independace /from/ the UK :)

    > So we in Scotland can have an Independence Day?

    As an American I can only interpret this as an oblique reference to a
    certain Mel Gibson movie.
    timeOday, Jul 5, 2007
  13. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Cynicor Guest

    Allen wrote:
    > Gizmo. wrote:
    >>> So we in Scotland can have an Independence Day?

    >> Nah, not yet.
    >> It'd be a good start if you built a wall or something between Scotland
    >> and England ... ;o)
    >>

    > Sorry--Hadrian beat you to that idea. But his plan was to keep the Scots
    > out of England.

    I loved Rocky!! YO, HADRIAN!
    Cynicor, Jul 5, 2007
  14. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 04:16:51 -0400
    "Jonathan" <> wrote:

    > Billy wrote:

    > > So we in Scotland can have an Independence Day?

    > You wear kilts, now that being independent isn't it?

    The modern kilt is just a victorian invention as no one in the 1840's
    knew how the kilt from the early 18th century (and earlier) was made
    and fixed. The wearing of the kilt was banned for the 100 years from
    1745.

    --
    Neil
    Reverse ie and delete l for email.
    Neil Ellwood, Jul 5, 2007
  15. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 09:22:07 +0100
    "Fred" <> wrote:

    > "Billy" <> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 04:24:06 -0000, Ray Macey <>
    > > wrote:

    > >>Mostly because most countries that do celebrate independance are
    > >>celebrating independace /from/ the UK :)

    > > So we in Scotland can have an Independence Day?

    > We can't let all our colonies go old chap :eek:)

    Are you sure that is correct?

    James 1st of England was also James 6th of Scotland - he was the
    Scottish king before he was also king of England so we are really the
    colony of Scotland. If you want confirmation of this just look at the
    make-up of our government and the personalities on tv.

    Neil Ellwood, Jul 5, 2007
  16. Neil wrote on Thu, 5 Jul 2007 18:16:48 +0100:

    ??>> Billy wrote:

    ??>>> So we in Scotland can have an Independence Day?
    ??>>
    ??>> You wear kilts, now that being independent isn't it?
    ??>>
    NE> The modern kilt is just a victorian invention as no one in
    NE> the 1840's knew how the kilt from the early 18th century
    NE> (and earlier) was made and fixed. The wearing of the kilt
    NE> was banned for the 100 years from 1745.

    I think your dates are a little inexact but anyway, a dread
    secret is that the modern short kilt (philabeg) was invented by
    an English Quaker ironmaster (at Bonawe, Argll I think) who
    found the original short woolen toga (philamor) inconvenient.

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not
    James Silverton, Jul 5, 2007
  17. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Jonathan Guest

    Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 04:16:51 -0400
    > "Jonathan" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Billy wrote:

    >>> So we in Scotland can have an Independence Day?

    >> You wear kilts, now that being independent isn't it?
    >>

    > The modern kilt is just a victorian invention as no one in the 1840's
    > knew how the kilt from the early 18th century (and earlier) was made
    > and fixed. The wearing of the kilt was banned for the 100 years from
    > 1745.

    Oh, so that must have been right around when they invented mirrors, I see.
    Jonathan, Jul 5, 2007
  18. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Jonathan Guest

    James Silverton wrote:
    > Neil wrote on Thu, 5 Jul 2007 18:16:48 +0100:

    >>> You wear kilts, now that being independent isn't it?
    >>>

    >> The modern kilt is just a victorian invention as no one in
    >> the 1840's knew how the kilt from the early 18th century
    >> (and earlier) was made and fixed. The wearing of the kilt
    >> was banned for the 100 years from 1745.

    > I think your dates are a little inexact but anyway, a dread
    > secret is that the modern short kilt (philabeg) was invented by
    > an English Quaker ironmaster (at Bonawe, Argll I think) who
    > found the original short woolen toga (philamor) inconvenient.

    Then there must have been some rude toga parties right about then.
    Jonathan, Jul 5, 2007
  19. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Cynicor Guest

    Jonathan wrote:
    > James Silverton wrote:
    >> I think your dates are a little inexact but anyway, a dread
    >> secret is that the modern short kilt (philabeg) was invented by
    >> an English Quaker ironmaster (at Bonawe, Argll I think) who
    >> found the original short woolen toga (philamor) inconvenient.

    > Then there must have been some rude toga parties right about then.

    There were, mostly around the village of Naetroos in Lanarkshire.
    Cynicor, Jul 5, 2007
  20. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Rudy Lacchin Guest

    "Ray Macey" <> wrote in message
    > On Jul 5, 1:14 pm, Stewy <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Dang! Why can't we have an Independence Day in the UK too?

    > Mostly because most countries that do celebrate independance are
    > celebrating independace /from/ the UK :)

    I think losing the US is a good reason for the UK to celebrate!

    R.
    Rudy Lacchin, Jul 7, 2007