these worth it?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by nuffy, Aug 27, 2003.

  1. nuffy

    nuffy Guest

    nuffy, Aug 27, 2003

  2. nuffy

    DaveW Guest

    Worth it??
    Just for the space? No.
    To fill a need at a price you are willing to pay? <shrug> I can't speak for
    you.
    Maxtor is not the only manufacture of external hard drives using
    USB/Firewire interface.
    You may find comparable drives for less if you shop for them.
    http://www.pricewatch.com/
    Yes they can be formatted.

    DaveW, Aug 27, 2003

  3. nuffy

    Boomer Guest

    DaveW said:

    > Worth it??
    > Just for the space? No.
    > To fill a need at a price you are willing to pay? <shrug> I can't
    > speak for you.
    > Maxtor is not the only manufacture of external hard drives using
    > USB/Firewire interface.
    > You may find comparable drives for less if you shop for them.
    > http://www.pricewatch.com/
    > Yes they can be formatted.

    What manufacturer would you recommend for an external drive?

    Boomer, Aug 27, 2003
  4. nuffy

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Boomer continued:

    > DaveW said:
    >
    >> Worth it??
    >> Just for the space? No.
    >> To fill a need at a price you are willing to pay? <shrug> I can't
    >> speak for you.
    >> Maxtor is not the only manufacture of external hard drives using
    >> USB/Firewire interface.
    >> You may find comparable drives for less if you shop for them.
    >> http://www.pricewatch.com/
    >> Yes they can be formatted.

    > What manufacturer would you recommend for an external drive?

    Hint: there ain't many to choose from.....starts with an 'M'...;-)
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Aug 27, 2003
  5. "nuffy" <> wrote in message
    > Are these worth it? The ease and the size of the space make it very
    > tempting. The price however seems a little high. Can you format these?

    Yes... they can be formatted.

    --
    What good would they be if they weren't? ;-)
    Sentient Fluid, Aug 27, 2003
  6. nuffy

    SgtMinor Guest

    SgtMinor, Aug 27, 2003
  7. nuffy

    nuffy Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...

    |> Are these worth it? The ease and the size of the space make it very
    |> tempting. The price however seems a little high. Can you format these?
    |> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1230498,00.asp

    Let me see if I understand these. You install the frame in a floppy bay.
    The trays contain a hard drive. The trays are removable allowing you to
    use different hard drives. They become like giant floppy disks? You can
    use any hard drive as long as it's the proper size?

    Besides the cost, what's the difference (if any) between these and say an
    external hard drive?
    nuffy, Aug 27, 2003
  8. nuffy

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as nuffy continued:

    > In article <>,
    > lid says...
    >

    >>> Are these worth it? The ease and the size of the space make it very
    >>> tempting. The price however seems a little high. Can you format
    >>> these? http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1230498,00.asp

    > Let me see if I understand these. You install the frame in a floppy
    > bay. The trays contain a hard drive. The trays are removable allowing
    > you to use different hard drives. They become like giant floppy
    > disks? You can use any hard drive as long as it's the proper size?
    >
    > Besides the cost, what's the difference (if any) between these and
    > say an external hard drive?

    You place a hard drive into a tray that slides into the frame in a spare 5"
    bay, not floppy. You can buy extra trays and have several hard drives ready
    to slot in. I have 1 inside the machine running my OS and programs, and
    three others for various stuff on a shelf.

    They run exactly like a slidemounted car radio.
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Aug 27, 2003
  9. "nuffy" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > lid says...
    >

    > |> Are these worth it? The ease and the size of the space make it very
    > |> tempting. The price however seems a little high. Can you format these?
    > |> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1230498,00.asp
    > |

    > Let me see if I understand these. You install the frame in a floppy bay.
    > The trays contain a hard drive. The trays are removable allowing you to
    > use different hard drives. They become like giant floppy disks? You can
    > use any hard drive as long as it's the proper size?
    >
    > Besides the cost, what's the difference (if any) between these and say an
    > external hard drive?

    I would think that an external hard drive would be plug 'n' play these days,
    so you would probably be able to just hook it up to another computer for
    file transfers. Not sure if they are bootable, though...

    Mobile Racks can only be placed into a computer that has the drive bay set
    up to accept it. They are bootable for sure.
    Sentient Fluid, Aug 27, 2003
  10. nuffy

    DaveW Guest

    "nuffy" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > lid says...
    >

    > |> Are these worth it? The ease and the size of the space make it very
    > |> tempting. The price however seems a little high. Can you format these?
    > |> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1230498,00.asp
    > |

    > Let me see if I understand these. You install the frame in a floppy bay.
    > The trays contain a hard drive. The trays are removable allowing you to
    > use different hard drives. They become like giant floppy disks? You can
    > use any hard drive as long as it's the proper size?
    >
    > Besides the cost, what's the difference (if any) between these and say an
    > external hard drive?

    Sounds like "Hot Swap" drives.
    BIG difference is, a USB/FireWire drive can connect to any computer with a
    USB/FireWire port and the necessary software installed. Very portable from
    one computer to another.

    The "Hot Swap" drive can only be use on a computer with a "Hot Swap" rack
    installed. Not all hard drive are Hot Swappable, and because they have no
    protective enclosure they are more prone to physical damage.
    DaveW, Aug 27, 2003