These *^&*%&*(&% numbered LISTS!!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mara, Dec 10, 2004.

  1. Mara

    Mara Guest

    Hello, all!

    I am using Word 97 on Windows XP. I have a problem that's becoming
    such an annoyance I'm ready to kill my computer. I very frequently
    work with large files that have multi-level numbering. In every
    section (there are four), the numbering starts over again. However,
    EVERY SINGLE TIME I open this file (even though the numbering was FINE
    when I last worked on it/saved it) the numbers have renumbered
    themselves to continue numbering from the previous section. EVERY TIME
    I open this file, I have to go through it and re-do the numbering in
    every section. Needless to say, this is rather time-consuming and
    it's time I simply don't have to spend. Obviously, I am either missing
    something, or there's a bug, and I'm inclined to think it's the former.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

    Thanks very much for all your help!

    Mara

    PS: The Microsoft Knowledge base addresses this problem, but only when
    the file is being saved or viewed as a web page, and that is not the
    case here.
    Mara, Dec 10, 2004

  2. Mara

    SgtMinor Guest

    Mara wrote:
    > Hello, all!
    >
    > I am using Word 97 on Windows XP. I have a problem that's becoming
    > such an annoyance I'm ready to kill my computer. I very frequently
    > work with large files that have multi-level numbering. In every
    > section (there are four), the numbering starts over again. However,
    > EVERY SINGLE TIME I open this file (even though the numbering was FINE
    > when I last worked on it/saved it) the numbers have renumbered
    > themselves to continue numbering from the previous section. EVERY TIME
    > I open this file, I have to go through it and re-do the numbering in
    > every section. Needless to say, this is rather time-consuming and
    > it's time I simply don't have to spend. Obviously, I am either missing
    > something, or there's a bug, and I'm inclined to think it's the former.
    > Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
    >
    > Thanks very much for all your help!
    >
    > Mara
    >
    > PS: The Microsoft Knowledge base addresses this problem, but only when
    > the file is being saved or viewed as a web page, and that is not the
    > case here.

    Are you using "section breaks" to separate the various sections? ( >
    Insert > Break - in Word2000, at least)
    SgtMinor, Dec 10, 2004

  3. Mara

    Chris O Guest

    "Mara" <> wrote in message
    > Hello, all!
    >
    > I am using Word 97 on Windows XP. I have a problem that's becoming
    > such an annoyance I'm ready to kill my computer. I very frequently
    > work with large files that have multi-level numbering. In every
    > section (there are four), the numbering starts over again. However,
    > EVERY SINGLE TIME I open this file (even though the numbering was FINE
    > when I last worked on it/saved it) the numbers have renumbered
    > themselves to continue numbering from the previous section. EVERY TIME
    > I open this file, I have to go through it and re-do the numbering in
    > every section. Needless to say, this is rather time-consuming and
    > it's time I simply don't have to spend. Obviously, I am either missing
    > something, or there's a bug, and I'm inclined to think it's the former.
    > Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
    >
    > Thanks very much for all your help!
    >
    > Mara
    >
    > PS: The Microsoft Knowledge base addresses this problem, but only when
    > the file is being saved or viewed as a web page, and that is not the
    > case here.

    Don't know but you could try posting to the "microsoft.public.word.general"
    newsgroup

    Chris O.
    Chris O, Dec 10, 2004
  4. Mara

    George Guest

    Might be one of those 'apply to whole document' check boxes. Is it possible
    to save the sections separately?

    George, Dec 11, 2004
  5. Mara

    Noel Paton Guest

    I recently had similar problems (in Word 2K) -and found that the cause was
    my own fault :(

    The cause (at least in my case) is using the backspace to exit the
    formatting.

    The cure is to remove ALL formatting, then insert the new formats as
    required - time-consuming, but effective.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Dec 12, 2004
  6. Mara

    Mara Guest

    Thank goodness I didn't have to resort to that!

    I managed to solved my own problem (again... I really should give
    myself more time to figure shit out). I simply took the sub-documents
    and converted them into the master doc, and all the glitches went away.
    Can I explain it? Not really. But it worked. :)

    Mara
    Mara, Dec 13, 2004
  7. Mara

    Noel Paton Guest