Thermo Electric Cooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by unholy, Sep 5, 2005.

?

Cool or Bad idea, i am still going to do it even though u might hate it :P

  1. Cool

    100.0%
  2. Next time u say Liquid nitro make the thing work already, i want to see it pump out some cold!!!

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Stuff it, its a pointless act thats already been done

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    I have been researching up About ways to cool down a Heatsink (radiator) and the water traveling trhough or even (suggested by another forum member) something over this world, Liquid Nitrogen, unforunately we can cool down liquid nitrogen though we can boil it at -300 or what ever it is... the easiest solution is Thermo electric cooling and another liquid which asorbs Cold well. If anyone knows what sorta of Piping i could use to carry liquid nitrogen then i would be happy to set a Liqui nitrogen puppy up :D
    Liquid Nitrogen Source >>> Boil it(use refrigator proceedure) >>> run it too the CPU >>> Reuse source.
    If anyone australian out their that living in Brisbane wants to Just up to cold tis little beast i would like you too join up with me and make a kick ass cooler :D
    Heres some info if ur thinking of making a out their cooler :D
    http://www.electracool.com - Thermo electric
    http://home.howstuffworks.com/refrigerator.htm - Refrigerators
    I will do a little more research on thermoelectric cooler to see if i can make one to cool down a Radiator without condensation.then if it works move onto Larger Radtors in a box :p with fans to bring it down even more... and then mabye go wild with liquid nitro :p
    unholy, Sep 5, 2005

  2. unholy

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    Forget the liquid nitro, there is only so much you can cool a processor and after that it doesn't matter how cold it is you wont be able to over clock it anymore. However it does mean major wank factor ;)
    I always planned to do a peltier setup after I got the hang of water cooling my own rig first. But the cost of another PSU just for the peltier was crazy for the performance. I'd still like to do it to say, "Hey, I've got load temps of 5C"
    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 5, 2005

  3. unholy

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    ive seen a video of liguid nitrogen cooling on www.tomshardware.com its been there for a coupla years, they over clocked to 5Ghz but im not sure what the stock clock was. It was still pretty damn cool to watch though.
    XhArD, Sep 6, 2005
  4. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Yes tru they did Liquid Nitrogen cool a computer, but they aren't fully reusing the Nitro, just getting rid of the hot stuff at the end. i am looking into a way to beeat their method, but without the condensation, i ant achieving any mhz score... just a really sweet ass cooler... with the power of say -200C :p, and i ant going to use Nitrogen anymore, its just not going to be able to be reused easily... boiling it is going to be too hard :p and then to condense it!!!!
    I am looking to getting load temps below 0C... and then writing a how to make the kick ass beast :D.
    Thermo electric could work if i use something other then water... maybe run ammonia through (problably CFC12 cause ammonia is deadly :p) first i have to get me some thing as a liquid for cooling transfer, i could use liqui nitro and Run it to a liquid block, and back through, and reuse it... though getting the Block so it wont condensate is going to be hard...
    unholy, Sep 6, 2005
  5. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    unholy, Sep 6, 2005
  6. unholy

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    That would be hard because your liquid nitrogen is -190C ;)
    I have also got that video from tomshardware, is awesome to watch and I'm not sure that board was useable after the base around the cpu defrosted :?
    Just get a 226W peltier and a really good watercooling setup and instead of a res get a fridge or something and chill the water.
    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 6, 2005
  7. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    who said water... i have a excellent idea.... might get a bit toasty.
    What can i use to boil Liquid Nitrogen... i have to do some research on boiling point of Liquids... and say run Liquid nitrogen through 5mmthick copper piping to a Custom made Heasink... and then back out to get boiled... sounds good?
    unholy, Sep 6, 2005
  8. unholy

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    Sounds expensive and a lot of effort but hey, go for it ;)
    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 6, 2005
  9. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    i have always wanted to go out and do something big...
    the nitrogen is only 20 bucks for the first 10 litres and 1 for every extra.
    Heres some info about Nitrogen
    Name: Nitrogen
    Symbol: N
    Atomic Number: 7
    Atomic Mass: 14.00674 amu
    Melting Point: -209.9 °C (63.250008 K, -345.81998 °F)
    Boiling Point: -195.8 °C (77.35 K, -320.44 °F)
    Number of Protons/Electrons: 7
    Number of Neutrons: 7
    Classification: Non-metal
    Crystal Structure: Hexagonal
    Density @ 293 K: 1.2506 g/cm3
    Color: colorless
    One cool thing is i can boil it at 32 degrees and it will stay at 196 but will start to turn into steam :( and it melts at -200 :D
    i have to go over the process of a refrigerator so i do get anytthing mucked up... i will be using Copper pipes and boiling it some how... use the vapour and run it some how with a condesnser not sure....
    unholy, Sep 6, 2005
  10. unholy

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Good luck and have fun
    XhArD, Sep 6, 2005
  11. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Any ideas on condensation protect ppl?
    I have the Pips Figured, but not the Blocks... i will Seal the CPU in a Chamber same with the chipset.
    For the Copper piping i am going to
    Outside layer is Rubber, Mid inside Layer is Spongue, and the Copper pipe.. that should reduce alot of condensation :D
    unholy, Sep 7, 2005
  12. unholy

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    I wouldn't know enough about it to help you out with anything :? I suggest you check out some forums related to TEC and extreme cooling and how they shield things.
    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 7, 2005
  13. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    K thanks for your help :D, when its done i might sell a few out :D
    unholy, Sep 7, 2005
  14. unholy

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    AHahha I look forward to it even though my wallet probably doesn't
    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 7, 2005
  15. unholy

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    i will give u a thank you discount :p (no labour costs :D, just parts)
    unholy, Sep 7, 2005
  16. unholy

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined: