Thermal pads and paste?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by old jon, Sep 30, 2005.

  1. old jon

    old jon Guest

    "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    news:dhj5n2$td$...
    > Just want confirmation that if a CPU heatsink has a thermal pad attached
    > that there is no advantage in putting thermal paste on as well.
    > CPU in question is an Athlon 64 3200MHz retail boxed with h/s and fan
    > included.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Kenny Cargill

    Hi K. No advantage. You`d have to remove and clean off the pad, to replace
    it with paste.
    best wishes..OJ

    Kenny, Sep 30, 2005

  3. old jon

    S.Heenan Guest

    Kenny wrote:
    > Just want confirmation that if a CPU heatsink has a thermal pad
    > attached that there is no advantage in putting thermal paste on as
    > well. CPU in question is an Athlon 64 3200MHz retail boxed with h/s and
    > fan
    > included.

    Use one or the other, never both. The idea is to fill the air gap between
    the top of the heat spreader and the bottom of the heat sink, using the bare
    minimum of paste or pad.

    If you plan to install the CPU/heat sink just once, use the supplied TIM
    (pad).

    (I scrape the pad off, clean and lap the heatsink, then apply paste to the
    heat spreader.)

    AMD may void the warranty if you use a third party paste. Refer to their
    newest documents for specifics.

    --
    "Of course, whether from the net or from work. Why would I pay $50 for
    an app I will use one time? " - lin√łnut rationalizing his software
    S.Heenan, Sep 30, 2005
  4. old jon

    Buffalo Guest

    "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    > Just want confirmation that if a CPU heatsink has a thermal pad attached
    > that there is no advantage in putting thermal paste on as well.
    > CPU in question is an Athlon 64 3200MHz retail boxed with h/s and fan
    > included.

    Adding thermal compound to a thermal pad will make the cpu run hotter. Use one
    or the other.
    Buffalo, Sep 30, 2005
  5. Kenny wrote:
    > Just want confirmation that if a CPU heatsink has a thermal pad attached
    > that there is no advantage in putting thermal paste on as well.
    > CPU in question is an Athlon 64 3200MHz retail boxed with h/s and fan
    > included.

    Both = bad idea.

    *Replacing* the pad with thermal compound = good idea.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 30, 2005
  6. old jon

    Plato Guest

    Kenny wrote:

    > Just want confirmation that if a CPU heatsink has a thermal pad attached
    > that there is no advantage in putting thermal paste on as well.

    Correct.

    > CPU in question is an Athlon 64 3200MHz retail boxed with h/s and fan
    > included.

    Leave it be. The retail box version works perfectly as is.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Sep 30, 2005
  7. old jon

    Martik Guest

    There is a video on how to properly attach the CPU to a heatsink at AMD:
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_4348^6678,00.html

    Martik, Oct 1, 2005