Thermal compound or not

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by buffy, Oct 9, 2003.

  1. buffy

    buffy Guest

    Do you really need thermal compound or is the combination of heat sink / fan
    enough????
    buffy, Oct 9, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. buffy wrote:
    > Do you really need thermal compound or is the combination of heat
    > sink / fan enough????


    I find a glass of cold water does the trick.....

    --
    Google is your Friend
    Email address deliberately false to avoid spam:
    gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Oct 9, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. buffy

    °Mike° Guest

    Is your system experiencing heat problems?


    On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 20:38:05 +0100, in
    <bm4df9$du5$>
    buffy scrawled:

    >Do you really need thermal compound or is the combination of heat sink / fan
    >enough????
    >


    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
    °Mike°, Oct 9, 2003
    #3
  4. buffy

    Ghostrider Guest

    buffy wrote:

    > Do you really need thermal compound or is the combination of heat sink / fan
    > enough????


    Thermal compound recommended due to the high temperatures that can
    occur with modern processors. However, thermal compound not needed
    if a thermal pad is already present on the bottom of the heatsink. If a pad
    is present, remember to peel off or remove the protective plastic cover.
    Ghostrider, Oct 9, 2003
    #4
  5. buffy

    DaveW Guest

    If it calls for thermal compound, the heat sink/fan is
    likely to be almost useless without it.

    "buffy" <> wrote in message
    news:bm4df9$du5$...
    > Do you really need thermal compound or is the combination of heat sink / fan
    > enough????
    >
    >
    DaveW, Oct 9, 2003
    #5
  6. buffy

    buffy Guest

    I'm going to install an Athlon XP 2600XP processor that has come with the
    heatsink and fan. Just wondering whether it needed any thermal compound
    cause it tralked about it at a couple of sites??
    "Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message
    news:3F85BE06.F122D67B@fitron.142...
    >
    > buffy wrote:
    >
    > > Do you really need thermal compound or is the combination of heat sink /

    fan
    > > enough????

    >
    > Thermal compound recommended due to the high temperatures that can
    > occur with modern processors. However, thermal compound not needed
    > if a thermal pad is already present on the bottom of the heatsink. If a

    pad
    > is present, remember to peel off or remove the protective plastic cover.
    >
    buffy, Oct 9, 2003
    #6
  7. buffy

    Mike0000 Guest

    buffy wrote:

    > Do you really need thermal compound or is the combination of heat sink / fan
    > enough????
    >
    >

    If the heatsink doesnt have a peel-off pad then you will need some.
    Remember, you can never use too little of the stuff.

    --
    Mike
    Block Banner Ads Now
    http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
    Mike0000, Oct 9, 2003
    #7
  8. buffy

    leftnutrzr Guest

    >
    > I find a glass of cold water does the trick.....


    cute but NO
    sorry for the small flame but that's just messed up to tell someone
    leftnutrzr, Oct 10, 2003
    #8
  9. leftnutrzr wrote:
    >> I find a glass of cold water does the trick.....

    >
    > cute but NO
    > sorry for the small flame but that's just messed up to tell someone


    If the OP is able to ask questions about thermal compound, then I assume
    they have got enough common sense to ignore my facetious reply.......

    --
    Google is your Friend
    Email address deliberately false to avoid spam:
    gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Oct 10, 2003
    #9
  10. buffy

    DaveW Guest

    "Gordon Burgess-Parker" <> wrote in message
    news:bm5hv6$iudkc$-berlin.de...
    > leftnutrzr wrote:
    > >> I find a glass of cold water does the trick.....

    > >
    > > cute but NO
    > > sorry for the small flame but that's just messed up to tell someone

    >
    > If the OP is able to ask questions about thermal compound, then I assume
    > they have got enough common sense to ignore my facetious reply.......


    A VERY dangerous assumption to make.
    If you must assume anything, assume the OP is totally clueless,
    a 404, lacks any common sense, will do as you say w/o question.
    DaveW, Oct 10, 2003
    #10
  11. buffy

    DaveW Guest

    "Gordon Burgess-Parker" <> wrote in message
    news:bm5hv6$iudkc$-berlin.de...
    > leftnutrzr wrote:
    > >> I find a glass of cold water does the trick.....

    > >
    > > cute but NO
    > > sorry for the small flame but that's just messed up to tell someone

    >
    > If the OP is able to ask questions about thermal compound, then I assume
    > they have got enough common sense to ignore my facetious reply.......


    A VERY dangerous assumption to make.
    If you must assume anything, assume the OP is totally clueless,
    a 404, lacks any common sense, will do as you say w/o question.
    DaveW, Oct 10, 2003
    #11
  12. buffy

    Dead_Dad Guest

    DaveW wrote:
    > "Gordon Burgess-Parker" <> wrote in message
    > news:bm5hv6$iudkc$-berlin.de...
    >> leftnutrzr wrote:
    >>>> I find a glass of cold water does the trick.....
    >>>
    >>> cute but NO
    >>> sorry for the small flame but that's just messed up to tell

    someone
    >>
    >> If the OP is able to ask questions about thermal compound, then I
    >> assume they have got enough common sense to ignore my facetious
    >> reply.......

    >
    > A VERY dangerous assumption to make.
    > If you must assume anything, assume the OP is totally clueless,
    > a 404, lacks any common sense, will do as you say w/o question.



    i.e. "Yes, ma'am. I *understand* that it only says to put the next CD
    in now, but you need to take the first CD out /before/ you do that."

    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad
    Dead_Dad, Oct 14, 2003
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. da_sly_1

    Thermal compound removal

    da_sly_1, Jan 8, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,641
  2. Michael Ware

    Heatsink+thermal compound

    Michael Ware, Feb 19, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    523
    Unknown
    Feb 21, 2004
  3. Donald McTrevor

    Cheaper heatsink compound.

    Donald McTrevor, Aug 8, 2005, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    703
    bambam
    Aug 9, 2005
  4. SS
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    2,742
  5. toronado455

    Thermal Compound application

    toronado455, Jun 23, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    44
    Views:
    1,183
    Gazwad
    Jun 26, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page