There's No Place Like ::1

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 26, 2009.

  1. Well, you have to update the old joke SOME time...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 26, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Well, you have to update the old joke SOME time...

    Hmm, I'd say "There's no place like ~" would be more appropriate.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 26, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Well, you have to update the old joke SOME time...

    If only the time was now. I want my ~18,446,744,073,709,551,615 static
    internet-routable IPv6 addresses!

    David Goodwin, Aug 27, 2009
  4. In message <h74g14$mgo$-september.org>, David Goodwin wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Well, you have to update the old joke SOME time...

    > If only the time was now. I want my ~18,446,744,073,709,551,615 static
    > internet-routable IPv6 addresses!

    Is there a list of IPv6-supporting ISPs in NZ?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 27, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Alan Guest

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    message news:h7552b$dou$...
    > In message <h74g14$mgo$-september.org>, David Goodwin
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, you have to update the old joke SOME time...

    >> If only the time was now. I want my ~18,446,744,073,709,551,615
    >> static
    >> internet-routable IPv6 addresses!

    > Is there a list of IPv6-supporting ISPs in NZ?

    Or even, does anyone know for sure of any that do?

    Alan.

    My unmunged email is: (valid for 30 days
    min probably much longer).

    Alan, Aug 27, 2009
  6. Alan wrote:

    > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    > message news:h7552b$dou$...
    >> In message <h74g14$mgo$-september.org>, David Goodwin
    >> wrote:

    >>> If only the time was now. I want my ~18,446,744,073,709,551,615
    >>> static
    >>> internet-routable IPv6 addresses!

    >> Is there a list of IPv6-supporting ISPs in NZ?
    >>

    > Or even, does anyone know for sure of any that do?

    I do not believe there are any ISPs providing IPv6 to residential customers.
    If there are though, http://ipv6.org.nz might provide more details.

    David Goodwin, Aug 27, 2009
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    David Goodwin wrote:

    > I do not believe there are any ISPs providing IPv6 to residential customers.
    > If there are though, http://ipv6.org.nz might provide more details.

    More to the point, are there any consumer routers that support it yet?

    Richard, Aug 27, 2009
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Alan Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > David Goodwin wrote:
    >
    >> I do not believe there are any ISPs providing IPv6 to residential
    >> customers.
    >> If there are though, http://ipv6.org.nz might provide more details.

    > More to the point, are there any consumer routers that support it
    > yet?

    Well, if you put any modern OS in as a router then the answer would
    likely be 'yes'.

    However, I don't know of any sub $150 (just a stab at what you might
    call 'consumer') black box routers that do it. On the other hand, I
    haven't really looked either.

    Presumably the first issue is that your modem needs to support it - or
    does the modem not matter?

    Alan, Aug 27, 2009
  9. In message <h74g14$mgo$-september.org>, David Goodwin wrote:

    > I want my ~18,446,744,073,709,551,615 static internet-routable IPv6
    > addresses!

    You could assign yourself a ULA block <http://wlug.org.nz/ULA>.

    Routing it off your LAN is another matter...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 2, 2009

    Have you tried this <http://wlug.org.nz/6to4>?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 6, 2009