There's a lot of this going on...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dudley Hanks, Dec 9, 2009.

  1. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/images/ShovellingSnowLarge.jpg (full
    size)

    http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/images/ShovellingSnowSmall.jpg (quick

    Indeed, we've been hit with a BIG dump of snow...

    I caught these two fellows clearing a parking lot which was nearly
    impassable.

    I shot this one in manual mode, using a variation of the sunny 16 rule,
    lowering the aperture to f/11 while bumping the shutter speed up to 1/200
    second. I also added a fill flash, just in case I wasn't over-exposing
    sufficiently to bring out the faces...

    Also, this was the first real test of my new 18 - 55mm IS lens. With the
    limited amount I've tried it out, it seems to be working not too bad.

    What do you think?

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Dec 9, 2009

  2. Dudley Hanks

    Bigguy Guest

    Dudley Hanks wrote:
    > http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/images/ShovellingSnowLarge.jpg (full
    > size)
    >
    > http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/images/ShovellingSnowSmall.jpg (quick
    >
    > Indeed, we've been hit with a BIG dump of snow...
    >
    > I caught these two fellows clearing a parking lot which was nearly
    > impassable.
    >
    > I shot this one in manual mode, using a variation of the sunny 16 rule,
    > lowering the aperture to f/11 while bumping the shutter speed up to 1/200
    > second. I also added a fill flash, just in case I wasn't over-exposing
    > sufficiently to bring out the faces...
    >
    > Also, this was the first real test of my new 18 - 55mm IS lens. With the
    > limited amount I've tried it out, it seems to be working not too bad.
    >
    > What do you think?
    >
    > Take Care,
    > Dudley

    I think you need to find the White Balance button.

    Bigguy, Dec 10, 2009

  3. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Bigguy" <bigguy@under_radar.com> wrote in message
    > Dudley Hanks wrote:
    >> http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/images/ShovellingSnowLarge.jpg (full
    >> size)
    >>
    >> http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/images/ShovellingSnowSmall.jpg
    >> (quick loading)
    >>
    >> Indeed, we've been hit with a BIG dump of snow...
    >>
    >> I caught these two fellows clearing a parking lot which was nearly
    >> impassable.
    >>
    >> I shot this one in manual mode, using a variation of the sunny 16 rule,
    >> lowering the aperture to f/11 while bumping the shutter speed up to 1/200
    >> second. I also added a fill flash, just in case I wasn't over-exposing
    >> sufficiently to bring out the faces...
    >>
    >> Also, this was the first real test of my new 18 - 55mm IS lens. With the
    >> limited amount I've tried it out, it seems to be working not too bad.
    >>
    >> What do you think?
    >>
    >> Take Care,
    >> Dudley
    >>

    > I think you need to find the White Balance button.

    Is it off?

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Dec 10, 2009
  4. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "George Kerby" <> wrote in message

    > On 12/10/09 12:21 PM, in article v_aUm.55526$Db2.20162@edtnps83, "Dudley
    > Hanks" <> wrote:
    >

    >> "Bigguy" <bigguy@under_radar.com> wrote in message

    >>> I think you need to find the White Balance button.

    >> Is it off?
    >>
    >> Take Care,
    >> Dudley
    >>

    > It's pretty cyan because of the sky reflectivity on the snow. The foliage
    > in
    > the background is true because it is in sunlight. If you adjust the color
    > temp upward (~6500 - 7500ºK) the snow will become more neutral. That would
    > be more pleasing to some observers.

    Thanks, George, I'll see if I can find a way to do that.

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Dec 10, 2009
  5. Dudley Hanks

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <hiRTm.55427$Db2.53873@edtnps83>,
    Dudley Hanks <> wrote:
    >http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/images/ShovellingSnowLarge.jpg (full
    >size)
    >
    >http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/images/ShovellingSnowSmall.jpg (quick
    >
    >Indeed, we've been hit with a BIG dump of snow...
    >
    >I caught these two fellows clearing a parking lot which was nearly
    >impassable.
    >
    >I shot this one in manual mode, using a variation of the sunny 16 rule,
    >lowering the aperture to f/11 while bumping the shutter speed up to 1/200
    >second. I also added a fill flash, just in case I wasn't over-exposing
    >sufficiently to bring out the faces...
    >
    >Also, this was the first real test of my new 18 - 55mm IS lens. With the
    >limited amount I've tried it out, it seems to be working not too bad.
    >
    >What do you think?

    I think I see chromatic abberation, most noticably if you look at the
    left and right edges of the leftmost trouser leg in the picture (our
    left, not theirs).

    --
    Please reply to: | "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is
    pciszek at panix dot com | indistinguishable from malice."

    Paul Ciszek, Dec 10, 2009
  6. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    > "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "George Kerby" <> wrote in message

    >>> It's pretty cyan because of the sky reflectivity on the snow. The
    >>> foliage in
    >>> the background is true because it is in sunlight. If you adjust the
    >>> color temp upward (~6500 - 7500ºK) the snow will become more neutral.
    >>> That would be more pleasing to some observers.
    >>>

    >> Thanks, George, I'll see if I can find a way to do that.
    >>
    >> Take Care,
    >> Dudley
    >>

    > Hold your camera level, too.

    Sorry, don't do level ... :)