"There was an error found printing the document..."

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alpine Dragon, Oct 15, 2004.

  1. At home There are 3 computers connected together via a DSL router / 4
    port switch in a 'workgroup' arrangement all running at 100M/bit. 2 of
    the computers are running windows 2000 and the Laptop running Windows XP
    home. We have a HP 930c Ink jet printer and One of the Windows 2000
    machines acting as a print server.

    Periodically when a family member goes to print over the network, either
    from the Other win2000 machine or the Laptop running Windows XP home,
    the following message will frequently appear on the Print Server
    workstation.

    http://alpinedragon.orcon.net.nz/other/public/pub_images/Error.jpg

    "There was an error found when printing the document <document name> to
    USB001 Do You you want to retry or cancel the job"

    This message will repeatedly keep appearing and disappearing every few
    seconds until the job is canceled. The message can start appearing
    anytime, during printing, even in the middle of printing, when it does,
    the printing stops midway on the page. However if the problem is to
    occur it mostly happens straight away when someone tries to start
    printing and further attempts at trying to print (over the network) will
    fail until I reboot the workstation acting as the print server.

    However, If I try and print from said workstation (one acting as the
    print server), there is usually no problems at all. So it appears it
    may be a network related issue or a issue relating to the Workstation
    machines sending out the print jobs.

    I made a search for this message, and there were apparently a lot of
    discussion about it on various forums and newsgroups, but so far had no
    luck in trying to resolve this.

    All computers have been fully patched, The 2 windows 2000 machines have
    SP4 and have the latest critical updates applied. The windows XP home
    machine has been updated with SP2 and that too has had the latest
    critical updates applied.

    I've install the latest drivers (HP's latest for the printer dating back
    to 2001 admittedly) for this printer on the Print server workstation,
    and this has not resolved the problem.

    I've thought it may be the personal firewalls (Kerio) that could be
    interfering, But disabling them had no effect on the problem.

    Any suggestions on how to resolves this extremely annoying problem?

    Workstation specs acting as the print server:

    P4 HT 3.0GHz FSB 800
    1GB 400MHz RAM
    P4P800 SE Motherboard
    Windows 2000 /w SP4