There is no rewind button on my DVD player!!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Terkel, Jan 1, 2005.

  1. Terkel

    Terkel Guest

    Actually, that is not a problem, just a fact:)

    For Christmas I got a new Phillips DVP642 player and it works fine, but
    so what? I haven't seen a modern player that doesn't.

    However, this one does not have Macrovision embedded. Took a while to
    find out but I have been moving all my old satellite taped VCR stuff to
    DVD and have had the problem that the ATI capture card embedded MV
    detection will trigger if the tape is not almost perfect. (Thanks for the
    crap hardware, ATI). I had the wrong button pushed on my video switcher
    and realised that I was watching a new DVD through my PC. Took a while
    for that to sink in then started doing some tests.

    This player throws the Macrovision away. Any DVD will perfectly dump to a
    VCR tape (don't know why you would want to do that) or through my capture
    card to the PC.

    A friend ran down and bought the same model. Still no MV.

    Question. I thought that MV had to be built into a consumer player by
    federal law. Right? If so, how did these get through the pipe.

    Terk (but not 182)

    Terkel, Jan 1, 2005

  2. Terkel

    Iconer Guest

    Terkel wrote:

    > Question. I thought that MV had to be built into a consumer player by
    > federal law. Right? If so, how did these get through the pipe.

    I have some retail ordering experience. Here is a way that it could have
    happened. Not necessarily THE way, just A way.

    Christmas rolls around. A purchasing agent at whatever chain yours was sold
    realise that they have not ordered enough DVD players to make it through
    the holidays. They send out the word for more.

    Some flunkie down at a computer desk in the basement discovers that the
    Singapore supplier has a containerload destined for Cost Rica. A couple of
    emails and a funds transfer and that container gets offloaded in Miami.
    Warehouse distributes it and everyone is happy.

    Season is so busy that nobody from the purchasing agent down thinks about
    the fact that equipment with macrovision crap can't be given away in any
    other country than the US and therefore is manufactured without it. Just
    an oversight in the busy season. So a few mildly illegal boxes get placed
    into the stream of trade in the US.

    ICONER

    You know what? I just noticed that my player doesn't have a rewind button
    either!

    Iconer, Jan 1, 2005

  3. Terkel

    Jon Purkey Guest

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 11:03:40 -0500, Terkel <>
    wrote:

    >Question. I thought that MV had to be built into a consumer player by
    >federal law. Right? If so, how did these get through the pipe.

    Don't know. I have a Panasonic VCR/DVD recorder that fails to detect
    the Macrovision on about half the commercial tapes I own. I think it
    only looks for the "do not copy" flag/bit. It won't do protected
    DVD->VHS though, not that I would really want to.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)

    Jon Purkey, Jan 1, 2005
  4. Terkel