    actually there is no IP conflict and why would the error will be displayed
    in this case?

    thanks.
    macro, Feb 24, 2006

  2. macro

    James Gockel Guest

    someone is on the network with a forced IP address that is the same as
    yours.
    you can either force your ip address to something else, or let windows
    request a new one from the dhcp (by repairing the connection), or find out
    who it is and force them to change their IP address.
    Windows knows this because there is a "table" of which computers (system)
    has what IP address and it checks it, and saw your IP is the same as someone
    elses... (at least thats the easy explanation)
    -James G.

    James Gockel, Feb 24, 2006

  3. macro

    macro Guest

    i'm not affraid of more complex explanation.
    the table of IPs can be hold on a main location like the router, and in this
    case there will exist a protocol with which windows asks the router the list
    of IPs.
    ARP is something like that - the Windows or any other TCP/IP communication
    infrastructure will use to request the MAC address of a requested IP in
    order to communicate with it.
    i really wish to know what are the scenarios when Windows will show this
    message and what Windows "knows" prior to displaying such a message and what
    protocol being used by Windows in order to know this.
    regards.

    macro, Feb 25, 2006
  4. macro

    Guest

    On 25-Feb-2006, "macro" <> wrote:

    > i really wish to know what are the scenarios when Windows will show this
    > message

    One sceneario is where the same static IP address is entered in
    TCP/IP properties. I assume it would be possible to enter a
    static IP address, then while a wireless link is disconnected
    the same address could be leased/allocated. Then the wireless
    connection is re-established and there is a conflict between the
    static and the allocated address.
    As to how, who knows what, systemwise, Etherreal (free download),
    let you watch the handshaking. Look for "who has" and other
    interesting packets.
    Ethereal has a learning curve, there is a book on it. The
    main learning curve is all the different sorts of packets,
    and how to focus on the ones concerned with various functions.
    , Feb 25, 2006
  5. RE: there is an ip address conflict with another system on the network

    Hi "Macro"

    Sounds like we are having similar problems. I have two Dell laptops running
    Windows XP on my home wireless network (Linksys) and often, when both
    computers are on, I get a "Windows System Error -- There is an IP address
    conflict with another system on the network." If this is the problem you
    had, were you able to solve it? And how?

    Thanks,
    Mark

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFya2lrYXBsYW4=?=, Mar 8, 2006
  6. RE: there is an ip address conflict with another system on the net

    "there is an IP address error with another system on your network"
    that is the error dialog box that pops up from my task bar and sounds like
    what is being discussed here. my thought is - is it possible for a neighbor
    say, to hop onto my wireless network and get a freeride. the error dialog may
    be the indicator that that is happening? not to sound paranoid. i never see
    error this when my other computer (connecting wirelessly, in then house) is
    running while my main (hardwired) computer is on. i have an always on cable
    connection and use linkyss wireless b router ...
    my connection is not interrupted but it raises a security issue and may
    contribute to a sluggish connection perhaps.
    i use macafee virus, windows defender and firewall ...
    maybe its nothing to worry about ... thanks for any/all help
    dubboy

    =?Utf-8?B?ZHViYm95?=, May 10, 2006
  7. macro

    Malke Guest

    dubboy wrote:

    > "there is an IP address error with another system on your network"
    > that is the error dialog box that pops up from my task bar and sounds
    > like what is being discussed here. my thought is - is it possible for
    > a neighbor say, to hop onto my wireless network and get a freeride.
    > the error dialog may be the indicator that that is happening? not to
    > sound paranoid. i never see error this when my other computer
    > (connecting wirelessly, in then house) is running while my main
    > (hardwired) computer is on. i have an always on cable connection and
    > use linkyss wireless b router ... my connection is not interrupted but
    > it raises a security issue and may contribute to a sluggish connection
    > perhaps. i use macafee virus, windows defender and firewall ...
    > maybe its nothing to worry about ... thanks for any/all help
    > dubboy

    Certainly someone can use your wireless connection if you haven't
    secured it properly. See these links for how to do that:

    The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN -
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, May 10, 2006
  8. macro

    woodzy88

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Fix...

    Hey guys,

    I've recently encountered this error to, I'm using the WGU624 router (netgear) and reset it to try and fix some wireless connection drop outs I was having, however, for no apparent reason when it reset one of my PC's came up with the whole conflicting IP error response, the only way I could find to fix this was to give that PC a static IP that wasn't being used, so yes, just slightly strange but that's my fix for it and it's working perfectly now.
    woodzy88, Aug 29, 2006
  9. macro

    Jim C.

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    East Central Indiana
    IP address conflict

    As someone else has stated, the easiest fix for this seems to be entering another address. When my integrated network card went south, I replaced it with a PCI card and the problem showed up.

    I DID have some ghost cards lurking about (Thanks, Windows!) that weren't even physically in the computer.

    You can coax your machine to show you these devices by using DEVCOM, downloadable from Microsoft. I believe that's where I got it.

    The address in question on my machine/network is not present in any registry or file search...!? But, I still got the same conflict error until I gave up and picked an unused one.

    Try the Devcom or similar program. I also used DEVMGR which I'll send to anyone who needs it.

    Jim C.
    Jim C., Sep 15, 2006
  10. macro

    Don35

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2006
    Messages:
    18
    You should make sure all the Laptops and PC's are set to "use DHCP" or automatically acquire an IP address. Sometimes when you put the CD in for the router it adds a static IP of 192.168.1.1 and it stays there. ALL you need is automatic configure and let the dhcp in the router dish out IP addresses. IT doesnt give out duplicates. Thats where you need to start looking
    Don35, Sep 16, 2006
  11. macro

    hbpak

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Use IP Holder 1.0 to avoid IP address conflict!!

    Hi..

    I use IP Holder 1.0.
    This software remove IP address conflict on your system.
    If someone use your IP address on their system, IP holder stop that and
    your system's IP address will do good.

    visit here : http://www.ipselector.com

    bye..
    I hope you this is good to you.