    easier way to organize these files?

    Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Jerry Mander, May 8, 2006

  2. Jerry Mander

    thanatoid Guest

    "Jerry Mander" <nomail@thisaddress> wrote in
    news::

    > I downloaded Media Monkey a few days ago and the library
    > organization is a freakin' disaster;tracks are scattered
    > all over the place.
    >
    > What I have been doing in an attempt to organize my files
    > is using the "auto organize" function and manually editing
    > the file paths ,but editing 15,000+ files manually will
    > take months.Am I missing something here,or is there an
    > easier way to organize these files?
    >
    > Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi there.
    I am not familiar with the app, but something with a name that
    stupid is automatically suspect.

    Also, there are dozens of similar media-catalog programs which
    you can try instead.

    If you want REALLY simple, REALLY fast, and never-a-problem, and
    don't care about stupid things like tags. genre (is Primus
    really sereving of their own own genre?), bio details, covers
    etc., just want the file names, their size, date, and where they
    are, on your computer or on removable media, here's a great
    program:

    http://www.equi4.com/catfish.html

    To play mp3's I use STP. It's great and can't **** up your
    computer like WinAmp and other shit like that.

    http://www.tinyapps.org/misc.html

    I just looked at the MM homepage.
    From my experience, no programs that try to do EVERYTHING do
    anything right. Many disagree.

    Good luck.

    --
    thanatoid-Tip® #16
    Sometimes if you don't modify the title of a thread you hi-jack,

    thanatoid, May 8, 2006

  3. Jerry Mander

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Jerry Mander
    <nomail@thisaddress> wrote:

    > I downloaded Media Monkey a few days ago and the library organization is a
    > freakin' disaster;tracks are scattered all over the place.
    >
    > What I have been doing in an attempt to organize my files is using the "auto
    > organize" function and manually editing the file paths ,but editing 15,000+
    > files manually will take months.Am I missing something here,or is there an
    > easier way to organize these files?
    >
    > Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Use iTunes; import the entire folder full of music.
    iTunes' own Organize option will sort them all by artist and album, and
    name all tracks by their track name and extension only. (This is not
    the only way iTunes can find files or keep them, but it is the only
    automatic organizing method currently offered.)

    Then, fix the artists and songs and album names (iTunes has great
    tagging features, and you can very easily change batches of files).

    You might decide not to use iTunes later, but this will sort them very
    nicely.

    Mitch, May 8, 2006
  4. "Mitch" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > In article <>, Jerry Mander
    > <nomail@thisaddress> wrote:
    >
    > > I downloaded Media Monkey a few days ago and the library organization is

    > > freakin' disaster;tracks are scattered all over the place.
    > >
    > > What I have been doing in an attempt to organize my files is using the

    "auto
    > > organize" function and manually editing the file paths ,but editing

    15,000+
    > > files manually will take months.Am I missing something here,or is there

    an
    > > easier way to organize these files?
    > >
    > > Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > Use iTunes; import the entire folder full of music.
    > iTunes' own Organize option will sort them all by artist and album, and
    > name all tracks by their track name and extension only. (This is not
    > the only way iTunes can find files or keep them, but it is the only
    > automatic organizing method currently offered.)
    >
    > Then, fix the artists and songs and album names (iTunes has great
    > tagging features, and you can very easily change batches of files).
    >
    > You might decide not to use iTunes later, but this will sort them very
    > nicely.

    I am not certain of the type problem you are experiencing...but
    if you move some file from one repertory to another then the 'fancy'
    specific' database may be out of sync
    call it the playlist if you wish .. a very "old" program called COA2 can fix
    some M$ registries entries.

    bruno cardinal, May 8, 2006
  5. Jerry Mander

    beenthere Guest

    "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > "Jerry Mander" <nomail@thisaddress> wrote in
    >
    >> I downloaded Media Monkey a few days ago and the library
    >> organization is a freakin' disaster;tracks are scattered
    >> all over the place.
    >>
    >> What I have been doing in an attempt to organize my files
    >> is using the "auto organize" function and manually editing
    >> the file paths ,but editing 15,000+ files manually will
    >> take months.Am I missing something here,or is there an
    >> easier way to organize these files?
    >>
    >> Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Hi there.
    > I am not familiar with the app, but something with a name that
    > stupid is automatically suspect.

    If you are Not familiar with the software, then, why bother
    to answer.
    He asked for a `cure` for his problem, not an alternative software
    option..
    I`m surprised you didn`t suggest he tried linux, like some idiots
    always do.

    beenthere, May 8, 2006
  6. Jerry Mander

    fred-bloggs Guest

    > I downloaded Media Monkey a few days ago and the library organization
    > is a freakin' disaster;tracks are scattered all over the place.
    >
    > What I have been doing in an attempt to organize my files is using the
    > "auto organize" function and manually editing the file paths ,but
    > editing 15,000+ files manually will take months.Am I missing
    > something here,or is there an easier way to organize these files?
    >
    > Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    All the *organizers* I've tried have been worse than useless. I ended up
    using windows explorer. You can show the artist and album tags in details
    view. Use the search function and drag them into the correct album
    folders. It *will* take you a while.

    You may also need some album track lists.
    http://www.freedb.org/
    http://www.discogs.com/
    http://www.allmusic.com/

    If you want to clean up tags mp3tag is free
    http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

    --
    fred

    fred-bloggs, May 8, 2006
  7. Jerry Mander

    thanatoid Guest

    "beenthere" <> wrote in

    > "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    >> "Jerry Mander" <nomail@thisaddress> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I downloaded Media Monkey a few days ago and the library
    >>> organization is a freakin' disaster;tracks are scattered
    >>> all over the place.
    >>>
    >>> What I have been doing in an attempt to organize my files
    >>> is using the "auto organize" function and manually
    >>> editing the file paths ,but editing 15,000+ files
    >>> manually will take months.Am I missing something here,or
    >>> is there an easier way to organize these files?
    >>>
    >>> Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Hi there.
    >> I am not familiar with the app, but something with a name
    >> that stupid is automatically suspect.
    >>

    > If you are Not familiar with the software, then, why bother
    > to answer.
    > He asked for a `cure` for his problem, not an alternative
    > software option..
    > I`m surprised you didn`t suggest he tried linux, like some
    > idiots always do.

    Because often the best solution to a weird problem with a
    software that has a moronic name and tries to do everything is
    to use different software, cretin.

    If I were a Linux user, I may have suggested it. I have managed
    to make Windows work perfectly for me for quite some time now,
    partly by avoiding idiotic apps like he is having trouble with.

    Regards,
    t.

    --
    thanatoid-Tips®