There Goes Skype?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ShuckItAnShee, Aug 8, 2005.

  1. Read a brief report that News Corp was talking to Skype. Rumoured $sums
    involved - $US3B.
    ShuckItAnShee, Aug 8, 2005

  2. ShuckItAnShee

    thing2 Guest

    ShuckItAnShee wrote:
    > Read a brief report that News Corp was talking to Skype. Rumoured $sums
    > involved - $US3B.

    Getting into this market early seems to make a lot of sense, it has huge
    potential but competition is probably going to be fierce and it will
    become commoditised, so make a buck and move on.

    Data is data, telecom has been overcharging for toll phone calls for
    years, in fact most incumbants have. Here we have a system that allows
    the end user to treat a phone call as data from a local point to
    anywhere, so the cost is minimal, just as it is in reality for Telecom.

    You have to wonder just how long such traditional telco business models
    will survive, which is probably why Telecom is trying to re-invent
    itself as a IT company.

    regards

    Thing
    thing2, Aug 8, 2005

  3. "ShuckItAnShee" <> wrote in message
    > Read a brief report that News Corp was talking to Skype. Rumoured $sums
    > involved - $US3B.

    Aussie newspapers now reporting talks have been broken off.
    The Register quoting some who reckon the Skypeprice could be in excess of
    $US100bn!

    ShuckItAnShee, Aug 9, 2005
  4. ShuckItAnShee

    steve Guest

    ShuckItAnShee wrote:
    > Read a brief report that News Corp was talking to Skype. Rumoured $sums
    > involved - $US3B.

    Rupert Murdoch buying Skype?

    There goes the neighbourhood.
    steve, Aug 11, 2005