    so few objects that exist in both pictures to use as reference points.
    This area has seen a lot of change.

    Gary Edstrom
    Gary Edstrom, Dec 2, 2006

  2. Gary Edstrom

    Matt Ion Guest

    Gary Edstrom wrote:
    > Today is one of those rare, ultra-clear days in the Los Angeles area. I
    > decided to go out and try to duplicate a few old pictures from my
    > father's slide collection. Here is my first attempt:
    >
    > http://gbe.dynip.com/Then_And_Now/Hollywood_Freeway_At_Vermont.JPG
    >
    > This is looking northwest on the Hollywood Freeway from the Vermont
    > Avenue overpass. This is just northwest of downtown Los Angeles. The
    > upper picture was taken fifty years ago in 1956 by my father. The lower
    > picture was taken today by me.
    >
    > It was a little difficult to register the two pictures because there are
    > so few objects that exist in both pictures to use as reference points.
    > This area has seen a lot of change.
    >
    > Gary Edstrom

    Yeah, the newer one's got a lot of crappy repairs done to the road surface...
    pretty poor maintenance over the years, I'd say! Probably why there's less
    traffic in the newer one too :)
    Matt Ion, Dec 3, 2006

  3. Gary Edstrom

    Frank ess Guest

    Gary Edstrom wrote:
    > Today is one of those rare, ultra-clear days in the Los Angeles
    > area.
    > I decided to go out and try to duplicate a few old pictures from my
    > father's slide collection. Here is my first attempt:
    >
    > http://gbe.dynip.com/Then_And_Now/Hollywood_Freeway_At_Vermont.JPG
    >
    > This is looking northwest on the Hollywood Freeway from the Vermont
    > Avenue overpass. This is just northwest of downtown Los Angeles.
    > The
    > upper picture was taken fifty years ago in 1956 by my father. The
    > lower picture was taken today by me.
    >
    > It was a little difficult to register the two pictures because there
    > are so few objects that exist in both pictures to use as reference
    > points. This area has seen a lot of change.

    Very nice; somewhat different lenses might have made the differences
    smaller.

    I really enjoy this kind of thing. Part of one of my obsessions
    (Riverside International Raceway history) is doing Then and Nows of
    the old racing ground in Moreno Valley.

    Have you seen the Los Angeles Then and Now and Hollywood T&N books?
    Relatively inexpensive, and fodder for many a pleasant reverie to
    those who are familiar with the areas. Seems to me there are several
    other cities subjected to the T&N series, also.

    Fun stuff. Not all photography has to be artful or technophiliac.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Dec 3, 2006
  4. Gary Edstrom

    Gary Edstrom Guest

    On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 16:52:42 -0800, "Frank ess" <>
    wrote:

    >Gary Edstrom wrote:
    >> Today is one of those rare, ultra-clear days in the Los Angeles
    >> area.
    >> I decided to go out and try to duplicate a few old pictures from my
    >> father's slide collection. Here is my first attempt:
    >>
    >> http://gbe.dynip.com/Then_And_Now/Hollywood_Freeway_At_Vermont.JPG
    >>
    >> This is looking northwest on the Hollywood Freeway from the Vermont
    >> Avenue overpass. This is just northwest of downtown Los Angeles.
    >> The
    >> upper picture was taken fifty years ago in 1956 by my father. The
    >> lower picture was taken today by me.
    >>
    >> It was a little difficult to register the two pictures because there
    >> are so few objects that exist in both pictures to use as reference
    >> points. This area has seen a lot of change.
    >>

    >Very nice; somewhat different lenses might have made the differences
    >smaller.
    >
    >I really enjoy this kind of thing. Part of one of my obsessions
    >(Riverside International Raceway history) is doing Then and Nows of
    >the old racing ground in Moreno Valley.
    >
    >Have you seen the Los Angeles Then and Now and Hollywood T&N books?
    >Relatively inexpensive, and fodder for many a pleasant reverie to
    >those who are familiar with the areas. Seems to me there are several
    >other cities subjected to the T&N series, also.
    >
    >Fun stuff. Not all photography has to be artful or technophiliac.

    I probably could have done better if I had taken a tripod along. I was
    just hand-holding the camera and going back and forth between a 4x6
    print in my and hand looking through the viewfinder. I zoomed out a
    little bit to insure that I had everything that was in the old picture.
    I then cropped it to what looked like as good a match as I could come up
    with. I hadn't noticed that grating in the picture that would have
    provided a good registration point.

    Gary
    Gary Edstrom, Dec 3, 2006
  5. Gary Edstrom

    Annika1980 Guest

    Gary Edstrom wrote:
    > Today is one of those rare, ultra-clear days in the Los Angeles area. I
    > decided to go out and try to duplicate a few old pictures from my
    > father's slide collection. Here is my first attempt:
    >
    > http://gbe.dynip.com/Then_And_Now/Hollywood_Freeway_At_Vermont.JPG

    Great job. I love looking at shots like this.
    Keep em coming!
    Annika1980, Dec 3, 2006
  6. Gary Edstrom wrote:
    > Today is one of those rare, ultra-clear days in the Los Angeles area. I
    > decided to go out and try to duplicate a few old pictures from my
    > father's slide collection. Here is my first attempt:
    >
    > http://gbe.dynip.com/Then_And_Now/Hollywood_Freeway_At_Vermont.JPG
    >
    > This is looking northwest on the Hollywood Freeway from the Vermont
    > Avenue overpass. This is just northwest of downtown Los Angeles. The
    > upper picture was taken fifty years ago in 1956 by my father. The lower
    > picture was taken today by me.
    >
    > It was a little difficult to register the two pictures because there are
    > so few objects that exist in both pictures to use as reference points.
    > This area has seen a lot of change.

    You did a nice job, tho. Is it possible that your Dad's lens was a tad
    longer than the one you used? What elevation?

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Dec 3, 2006
  7. Gary Edstrom

    Gary Edstrom Guest

    On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 17:37:22 -0800, John McWilliams <>
    wrote:

    >Gary Edstrom wrote:
    >> Today is one of those rare, ultra-clear days in the Los Angeles area. I
    >> decided to go out and try to duplicate a few old pictures from my
    >> father's slide collection. Here is my first attempt:
    >>
    >> http://gbe.dynip.com/Then_And_Now/Hollywood_Freeway_At_Vermont.JPG
    >>
    >> This is looking northwest on the Hollywood Freeway from the Vermont
    >> Avenue overpass. This is just northwest of downtown Los Angeles. The
    >> upper picture was taken fifty years ago in 1956 by my father. The lower
    >> picture was taken today by me.
    >>
    >> It was a little difficult to register the two pictures because there are
    >> so few objects that exist in both pictures to use as reference points.
    >> This area has seen a lot of change.

    >You did a nice job, tho. Is it possible that your Dad's lens was a tad
    >longer than the one you used? What elevation?

    My dad had an old Argus C-3. One thing I have noticed in almost all of
    the pictures from his camera is the vignetting at the corners. I can
    see that I missed a good registraion point in the picture: The grating
    on the righ-hand side of the picture. It appears in both the old and
    new. If I had seen that and had used a tripod, it probably would have
    matched them better.

    Gary
    Gary Edstrom, Dec 3, 2006
  8. Gary Edstrom

    Mike Russell Guest

    Mike Russell, Dec 3, 2006
  9. Gary Edstrom

    iws Guest

    "Mike Russell" <-MOVE> wrote in message
    > > Gary Edstrom wrote:
    > >> Today is one of those rare, ultra-clear days in the Los Angeles area.

    > >> decided to go out and try to duplicate a few old pictures from my
    > >> father's slide collection. Here is my first attempt:
    > >>
    > >> http://gbe.dynip.com/Then_And_Now/Hollywood_Freeway_At_Vermont.JPG

    > Very cool! I took a crack at aligning things more closely:
    > http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/LaFreeway/
    > --

    Interesting that the comparison doesn't seem to work in Firefox - works in
    IE. I found a similar Then and Now book on Pompei back in 2000 on a trip to
    Italy. When doing a video, my partner took images of the T&N pages then
    faded the old into the new for a really great effect for the video of that
    part of the trip.
    iws, Dec 3, 2006
  10. In article <>,
    Gary Edstrom <> wrote:

    > It was a little difficult to register the two pictures because there are
    > so few objects that exist in both pictures to use as reference points.
    > This area has seen a lot of change.

    The area has changed a lot, but amazingly, the freeway has not changed at
    all.

    Merritt
    Merritt Mullen, Dec 3, 2006
  11. Gary Edstrom

    W Paul Mills Guest

    W Paul Mills, Dec 3, 2006
  12. Gary Edstrom

    Matt Ion Guest

    Gary Edstrom wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 17:37:22 -0800, John McWilliams <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Gary Edstrom wrote:
    >>
    >>>Today is one of those rare, ultra-clear days in the Los Angeles area. I
    >>>decided to go out and try to duplicate a few old pictures from my
    >>>father's slide collection. Here is my first attempt:
    >>>
    >>>http://gbe.dynip.com/Then_And_Now/Hollywood_Freeway_At_Vermont.JPG
    >>>
    >>>This is looking northwest on the Hollywood Freeway from the Vermont
    >>>Avenue overpass. This is just northwest of downtown Los Angeles. The
    >>>upper picture was taken fifty years ago in 1956 by my father. The lower
    >>>picture was taken today by me.
    >>>
    >>>It was a little difficult to register the two pictures because there are
    >>>so few objects that exist in both pictures to use as reference points.
    >>>This area has seen a lot of change.

    >>You did a nice job, tho. Is it possible that your Dad's lens was a tad
    >>longer than the one you used? What elevation?

    > My dad had an old Argus C-3. One thing I have noticed in almost all of
    > the pictures from his camera is the vignetting at the corners. I can
    > see that I missed a good registraion point in the picture: The grating
    > on the righ-hand side of the picture. It appears in both the old and
    > new. If I had seen that and had used a tripod, it probably would have
    > matched them better.

    C-3! That was a great old camera. I have a circa-1956-model "brick" sitting in
    the closet... keep meaning to pull it out and shoot some B&W with it. Argus was
    renowned in their day for their quality optics - it's a 50mm f/3.5 lens that
    works beautifully... as long as the rangefinder is aligned properly to allow you
    to focus! :)
    Matt Ion, Dec 3, 2006
  13. Gary Edstrom

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Mike Russell wrote:
    >> Gary Edstrom wrote:
    >>> Today is one of those rare, ultra-clear days in the Los Angeles area. I
    >>> decided to go out and try to duplicate a few old pictures from my
    >>> father's slide collection. Here is my first attempt:
    >>>
    >>> http://gbe.dynip.com/Then_And_Now/Hollywood_Freeway_At_Vermont.JPG

    > Very cool! I took a crack at aligning things more closely:
    > http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/LaFreeway/

    Something interesting is that the shape of of the hills in the distance
    has changed, and the area to the right where the onramp joins the
    freeway seems to have been lowered.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 3, 2006
  14. Gary Edstrom

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Matt Ion wrote:
    > Gary Edstrom wrote:
    >> On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 17:37:22 -0800, John McWilliams <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> You did a nice job, tho. Is it possible that your Dad's lens was a
    >>> tad longer than the one you used? What elevation?

    >> My dad had an old Argus C-3. One thing I have noticed in almost all of
    >> the pictures from his camera is the vignetting at the corners. I can
    >> see that I missed a good registraion point in the picture: The grating
    >> on the righ-hand side of the picture. It appears in both the old and
    >> new. If I had seen that and had used a tripod, it probably would have
    >> matched them better.

    > C-3! That was a great old camera. I have a circa-1956-model "brick"
    > sitting in the closet... keep meaning to pull it out and shoot some B&W
    > with it. Argus was renowned in their day for their quality optics -
    > it's a 50mm f/3.5 lens that works beautifully... as long as the
    > rangefinder is aligned properly to allow you to focus! :)

    The c-3 was the camera I learned the basics of photography with. I
    rather suspect my brother still has it.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 3, 2006
  15. Gary Edstrom

    Mike Russell Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Mike Russell wrote:

    >> Very cool! I took a crack at aligning things more closely:
    >> http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/LaFreeway/

    > Something interesting is that the shape of of the hills in the distance
    > has changed, and the area to the right where the onramp joins the freeway
    > seems to have been lowered.

    Yes - one of the hills seems to have been carved away. I duplicated the
    point of view of the photograph on Google Earth. I'll make a wild guess
    that a housing development cleared away the trees and/or lowered that part
    of the mountain - at least there seems to be a flat spot with homes on it in
    the general area of the missing peak.

    Here's the view.
    http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=705399&page=0&vc=#Post705399
    If you have Google Earth, you'll see an oblique view with the drain in the
    lower left, and similar mountains in the distance. Otherwise, Google Maps
    will give an overhead view.
    ---
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/
    Mike Russell, Dec 3, 2006
  16. Gary Edstrom

    Ronald Hands Guest

    Gary Edstrom wrote:

    >>> Today is one of those rare, ultra-clear days in the Los Angeles
    >>> area.
    >>> I decided to go out and try to duplicate a few old pictures from my
    >>> father's slide collection.

    It may have been an "ultra-clear day" for your 2006 photo, but
    there's still a perceptible tinge of brown smog along the horizon.
    Which makes the clear blue of the sky in the 1956 shot even more striking.

    -- Ron
    Ronald Hands, Dec 3, 2006
  17. Gary Edstrom

    J. Clarke Guest

    Re: 'Then and Now' - The Hollywood Freeway - Fifty Years -1956/2006

    On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 02:54:49 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Matt Ion wrote:
    >> Gary Edstrom wrote:

    >>> My dad had an old Argus C-3. One thing I have noticed in almost all of
    >>> the pictures from his camera is the vignetting at the corners. I can
    >>> see that I missed a good registraion point in the picture: The grating
    >>> on the righ-hand side of the picture. It appears in both the old and
    >>> new. If I had seen that and had used a tripod, it probably would have
    >>> matched them better.

    >> C-3! That was a great old camera. I have a circa-1956-model "brick"
    >> sitting in the closet... keep meaning to pull it out and shoot some B&W
    >> with it. Argus was renowned in their day for their quality optics -
    >> it's a 50mm f/3.5 lens that works beautifully... as long as the
    >> rangefinder is aligned properly to allow you to focus! :)

    > The c-3 was the camera I learned the basics of photography with. I
    > rather suspect my brother still has it.

    Durable little thing too. My Dad's Argus still works. That's _after_
    landing on half the islands in the Pacific during WWII and with not a
    lick of maintenance since. I should probably have it cleaned and lubed.
    Funny how much more I respect that camera now than I did when I was a kid.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    J. Clarke, Dec 3, 2006
  18. Gary Edstrom

    Gary Edstrom Guest

    On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 06:38:46 GMT, Matt Ion <> wrote:

    >C-3! That was a great old camera. I have a circa-1956-model "brick" sitting in
    >the closet... keep meaning to pull it out and shoot some B&W with it. Argus was
    >renowned in their day for their quality optics - it's a 50mm f/3.5 lens that
    >works beautifully... as long as the rangefinder is aligned properly to allow you
    >to focus! :)

    I wish I still had it as a collector's item. Before my father passed
    away, he went through this phase where he started to sell or throw away
    some of his old things and throw away some of his old pictures. It
    never occurred to him that we might want to keep them. He couldn't seem
    to understand WHY we wanted to keep them.

    Gary
    Gary Edstrom, Dec 3, 2006
  19. Gary Edstrom

    iws Guest

    "W Paul Mills" <> wrote in message

    > iws wrote:
    > > "Mike Russell" <-MOVE> wrote in message

    > >> Very cool! I took a crack at aligning things more closely:
    > >> http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/LaFreeway/
    > >> --

    > > Interesting that the comparison doesn't seem to work in Firefox - works

    in
    > > IE. I found a similar Then and Now book on Pompei back in 2000 on a trip

    > > Italy. When doing a video, my partner took images of the T&N pages then
    > > faded the old into the new for a really great effect for the video of

    that
    > > part of the trip.
    > >

    > Works for me in Firefox 2.

    Time for me to upgrade I guess.
    iws, Dec 3, 2006
  20. Gary Edstrom

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Mike Russell wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message

    >>> Very cool! I took a crack at aligning things more closely:
    >>> http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/LaFreeway/

    >> Something interesting is that the shape of of the hills in the distance
    >> has changed, and the area to the right where the onramp joins the freeway
    >> seems to have been lowered.

    > Yes - one of the hills seems to have been carved away. I duplicated the
    > point of view of the photograph on Google Earth. I'll make a wild guess
    > that a housing development cleared away the trees and/or lowered that part
    > of the mountain - at least there seems to be a flat spot with homes on it in
    > the general area of the missing peak.
    >
    > Here's the view.
    > http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=705399&page=0&vc=#Post705399
    > If you have Google Earth, you'll see an oblique view with the drain in the
    > lower left, and similar mountains in the distance. Otherwise, Google Maps
    > will give an overhead view.
    > ---
    > Mike Russell
    > www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    Thanks for that. There are so many houses on those hills now that the
    sheer weight of them probably brought down some of the hills... Bet
    there weren't any there in 1956...
    Ron Hunter, Dec 3, 2006