    play, only "InterActualPlayer" will play the DVD,
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

    Is this some new thing to make our lives worse?

    Lunaray, Jan 2, 2005

  2. Lunaray

    Nonymous Guest

    "Lunaray" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I just got "Return of the King" (extended version released on 12/14/04) for
    >Christmas, and when I put it in my computer, it made me install a player
    >(InterActualPlayer) in order to play it!

    It *made* you? When the player installer starts up, you're presented with 3
    big buttons... "Agree/Installed", "Cancel", and "View License". How exactly
    did it force you to install? Did it zap you with electricity everytime you
    went for the Cancel button?

    ? Well I don't want to install your
    > &*$%# player, I'm happy with Windows Media Player, thank you very much!
    > This really aggravates me! I went back into my Windows Media Player's
    > settings to make it my default DVD-Video player again, but it still won't
    > play, only "InterActualPlayer" will play the DVD,
    > Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!
    >
    > Is this some new thing to make our lives worse?

    Lots & lots of DVDs have been coming with player software on them for years
    now. This is nothing new. WMP didn't support DVDs until just a version or
    two ago. So, prior to that you had to *hope* the DVD had player software on
    it, or else buy something like WinDVD.

    Nonymous, Jan 2, 2005

  3. Lunaray

    David Z Guest

    "Nonymous" <> wrote in message

    > "Lunaray" <> wrote in message
    >>I just got "Return of the King" (extended version released on 12/14/04)
    >>for Christmas, and when I put it in my computer, it made me install a
    >>player (InterActualPlayer) in order to play it!

    > It *made* you? When the player installer starts up, you're presented with
    > 3 big buttons... "Agree/Installed", "Cancel", and "View License". How
    > exactly did it force you to install? Did it zap you with electricity
    > everytime you went for the Cancel button?
    >
    > ? Well I don't want to install your
    >> &*$%# player, I'm happy with Windows Media Player, thank you very much!
    >> This really aggravates me! I went back into my Windows Media Player's
    >> settings to make it my default DVD-Video player again, but it still won't
    >> play, only "InterActualPlayer" will play the DVD,
    >> Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!
    >>
    >> Is this some new thing to make our lives worse?

    > Lots & lots of DVDs have been coming with player software on them for
    > years now. This is nothing new. WMP didn't support DVDs until just a
    > version or two ago. So, prior to that you had to *hope* the DVD had
    > player software on it, or else buy something like WinDVD.

    Not true. Windows has supported DVDs since Windows 98. Before WMP
    supported DVDs, a separate program used to be used to play DVDs - this
    program was only installed if Windows detected that the PC had a DVD-ROM
    drive.

    David Z, Jan 2, 2005
  4. Lunaray

    Nonymous Guest

    "David Z" <> wrote in message
    > "Nonymous" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Lunaray" <> wrote in message
    >>>I just got "Return of the King" (extended version released on 12/14/04)
    >>>for Christmas, and when I put it in my computer, it made me install a
    >>>player (InterActualPlayer) in order to play it!

    >> It *made* you? When the player installer starts up, you're presented
    >> with 3 big buttons... "Agree/Installed", "Cancel", and "View License".
    >> How exactly did it force you to install? Did it zap you with electricity
    >> everytime you went for the Cancel button?
    >>
    >> ? Well I don't want to install your
    >>> &*$%# player, I'm happy with Windows Media Player, thank you very much!
    >>> This really aggravates me! I went back into my Windows Media Player's
    >>> settings to make it my default DVD-Video player again, but it still
    >>> won't play, only "InterActualPlayer" will play the DVD,
    >>> Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!
    >>>
    >>> Is this some new thing to make our lives worse?

    >> Lots & lots of DVDs have been coming with player software on them for
    >> years now. This is nothing new. WMP didn't support DVDs until just a
    >> version or two ago. So, prior to that you had to *hope* the DVD had
    >> player software on it, or else buy something like WinDVD.

    > Not true. Windows has supported DVDs since Windows 98. Before WMP
    > supported DVDs, a separate program used to be used to play DVDs - this
    > program was only installed if Windows detected that the PC had a DVD-ROM
    > drive.

    I said WMP didn't always support DVDs, not Windows.

    Nonymous, Jan 2, 2005
  5. Lunaray

    David Z Guest

    "Nonymous" <> wrote in message

    > "David Z" <> wrote in message
    >> "Nonymous" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Lunaray" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> It *made* you? When the player installer starts up, you're presented
    >>> with 3 big buttons... "Agree/Installed", "Cancel", and "View License".
    >>> How exactly did it force you to install? Did it zap you with
    >>> electricity everytime you went for the Cancel button?
    >>>
    >>> ? Well I don't want to install your

    >>> Lots & lots of DVDs have been coming with player software on them for
    >>> years now. This is nothing new. WMP didn't support DVDs until just a
    >>> version or two ago. So, prior to that you had to *hope* the DVD had
    >>> player software on it, or else buy something like WinDVD.

    >> Not true. Windows has supported DVDs since Windows 98. Before WMP
    >> supported DVDs, a separate program used to be used to play DVDs - this
    >> program was only installed if Windows detected that the PC had a DVD-ROM
    >> drive.

    > I said WMP didn't always support DVDs, not Windows.

    "So, prior to that you had to *hope* the DVD had player software on it, or
    else buy something like WinDVD."

    Not true... for the above mentioned reason.

    David Z, Jan 2, 2005
  6. Lunaray

    Lunaray Guest

    Yes it made me! When I clicked "Cancel" the DVD closed and wouldn't play,
    so I opened Windows Media Player to try and play it and I was told that it
    couldn't play this file type, or something to that effect. Finally I went
    ahead and installed the program, but in the options I changed the default
    DVD Video playe to Windows Media Player and now when I put in the disk, WMP
    starts up, but it still won't play the DVD, I still have to use
    InterActualPlayer! As frustrating as it is, I suspect that there's some
    Spyware in there too, wouldn't surprise me anyway!

    Lunaray, Jan 2, 2005
  7. Lunaray

    Biz Guest

    "Lunaray" <> wrote in message
    > Yes it made me! When I clicked "Cancel" the DVD closed and wouldn't play,
    > so I opened Windows Media Player to try and play it and I was told that it
    > couldn't play this file type, or something to that effect. Finally I went
    > ahead and installed the program, but in the options I changed the default
    > DVD Video playe to Windows Media Player and now when I put in the disk,

    WMP
    > starts up, but it still won't play the DVD, I still have to use
    > InterActualPlayer! As frustrating as it is, I suspect that there's some
    > Spyware in there too, wouldn't surprise me anyway!

    You really dont have a clue do you?

    If you had WMP properly configured to play DVDs, that disk will play fine on
    the PC without installing the additional player software.

    Biz, Jan 2, 2005
  8. Lunaray

    Lunaray Guest

    I do have it configured properly! In WMP under Tools/Options/File Types, I
    have all of the boxes checked, including "DVD Video", what else is there to
    configure? It ain't rocket science!

    This is the first DVD that I've ever had a problem with, normally when I
    insert a disk, a selection window pops up asking me what I want to do and I
    always choose "Play DVD with Windows Media Player", well with this
    particular DVD that doesn't happen, it goes straight to the install routine
    for their stupid clunky player!

    Lunaray, Jan 2, 2005
  9. Lunaray

    Gilgamesh Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message

    > "Lunaray" <> wrote in message
    >> Yes it made me! When I clicked "Cancel" the DVD closed and wouldn't
    >> play,
    >> so I opened Windows Media Player to try and play it and I was told that
    >> it
    >> couldn't play this file type, or something to that effect. Finally I
    >> went
    >> ahead and installed the program, but in the options I changed the default
    >> DVD Video playe to Windows Media Player and now when I put in the disk,

    > WMP
    >> starts up, but it still won't play the DVD, I still have to use
    >> InterActualPlayer! As frustrating as it is, I suspect that there's some
    >> Spyware in there too, wouldn't surprise me anyway!
    >>

    > You really dont have a clue do you?
    >
    > If you had WMP properly configured to play DVDs, that disk will play fine
    > on
    > the PC without installing the additional player software.

    To play the movie you are correct BUT there can be PC based extras on the
    DVD that you have to use the InterActual player to get at as they won't work
    with other players.

    And to the OP. Yes the InterActual player also installs spyware but that
    would have been outlined in the licence agreement you clicked to accept
    during the install. I would get rid of it and install some anti-spyware
    software.

    Gilgamesh, Jan 2, 2005
  10. Lunaray

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Lunaray wrote:
    > I just got "Return of the King" (extended version released on
    > 12/14/04) for Christmas, and when I put it in my computer, it made me
    > install a player (InterActualPlayer) in order to play it!

    No it didn't, it offered to and you chose to. You should have cancelled
    that played it through MP anyway. Just go uninstall it and you'll be fine.

    Mike Kohary, Jan 3, 2005
  11. Lunaray

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Lunaray wrote:
    > Yes it made me! When I clicked "Cancel" the DVD closed and wouldn't
    > play, so I opened Windows Media Player to try and play it and I was
    > told that it couldn't play this file type, or something to that
    > effect. Finally I went ahead and installed the program, but in the
    > options I changed the default DVD Video playe to Windows Media Player
    > and now when I put in the disk, WMP starts up, but it still won't
    > play the DVD, I still have to use InterActualPlayer! As frustrating
    > as it is, I suspect that there's some Spyware in there too, wouldn't
    > surprise me anyway!

    Then something else is wrong, because this disc plays just fine on my
    computer using WMP.

    Mike Kohary, Jan 3, 2005
  12. Lunaray

    Lunaray Guest

    Does it play automatically with WMP? I finally got it to work, but I have
    to open WMP first and then choose the drive where my DVD is located! I just
    hate this nonsense, it's as bad as AOL, or RealPlayer, in that it tries to
    take over! It's a "coup" a power grab, leave my computer alone, I want to
    be in charge here!! :)

    BTW, I liked your web site, I have a passion for photography too:
    http://www.rayspace.com

    Ray

    Lunaray, Jan 3, 2005
  13. Lunaray

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Lunaray wrote:
    > Does it play automatically with WMP? I finally got it to work, but I
    > have to open WMP first and then choose the drive where my DVD is
    > located! I just hate this nonsense, it's as bad as AOL, or
    > RealPlayer, in that it tries to take over! It's a "coup" a power
    > grab, leave my computer alone, I want to be in charge here!! :)

    No, that's right, it wants to install its own player so WMP doesn't start
    automatically (or even ask to start). So, you just cancel, start WMP
    manually, and enjoy the movie! :) I though you had tried that and WMP
    wouldn't play it at all.

    ROTK is not the first disc to do this, either. Lots of discs have the
    Interactive player (there's another one floating around out there too which
    is also on many titles), dating back to several years ago. This must just
    be the first one you've encountered, but now that you know what to do,
    consider it conquered!

    > BTW, I liked your web site, I have a passion for photography too:
    > http://www.rayspace.com

    Thanks! Checked out your website (argh, I hate sound and mouse trailers on
    web sites), and your photography is also very nice. I especially liked
    Moonbender and Lines (did you Photoshop in more power lines, or is that what
    it really looks like? Beautiful either way). "Self Portrait" is...creepy
    and disturbing. In a good way. ;)

    Mike Kohary, Jan 3, 2005
  14. On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 04:40:00 -0800, "Lunaray" <>
    wrote:

    >I just got "Return of the King" (extended version released on 12/14/04) for
    >Christmas, and when I put it in my computer, it made me install a player
    >(InterActualPlayer) in order to play it! Well I don't want to install your
    >&*$%# player, I'm happy with Windows Media Player, thank you very much!
    >This really aggravates me! I went back into my Windows Media Player's
    >settings to make it my default DVD-Video player again, but it still won't
    >play, only "InterActualPlayer" will play the DVD,
    >Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!
    >
    >Is this some new thing to make our lives worse?

    Just close it and then use your preferred player. There is no
    'forcing' with interactual.

    E. Barry Bruyea, Jan 3, 2005
  15. On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 16:12:43 GMT, "David Z" <> wrote:

    >"Nonymous" <> wrote in message

    >>> Not true. Windows has supported DVDs since Windows 98. Before WMP
    >>> supported DVDs, a separate program used to be used to play DVDs - this
    >>> program was only installed if Windows detected that the PC had a DVD-ROM
    >>> drive.

    >> I said WMP didn't always support DVDs, not Windows.

    >"So, prior to that you had to *hope* the DVD had player software on it, or
    >else buy something like WinDVD."
    >
    >Not true... for the above mentioned reason.

    David, Windows Media Player has never supported DVD, or more precisely
    Mpeg2. WMP IS a "shell" program which is designed to work with
    registered codecs (".AX" extension) or Activevideo dlls made by other
    companies. Even in WinXP a CODEC has to be installed first since
    Microsoft does not have a license for an Mpeg2 decoder. This codec
    might have been installed on your system by Sound Forge, which uses
    the MainConcept codec, or some other utility. The Cyberlink
    (PowerDVD) or Intervideo (WinDVD) codec may have ended up on your
    system some time in the past. Windows Media Player continues to be one
    of the worst programs for playing DVDs since it does not have native
    support for multiple audio channels or such. WMP has NEVER supported
    DVD at any time.

    To repeat..Windows NEVER "Installed a DVD Player" when a DVD was first
    put in, it just enables the ability to read a 4.7 Gig DATA disc. If
    the Mpeg2 codec is not around then you're out of luck, from Windows 95
    to Windows XP.

    Oh and WMD and Windows are not the same thing.. WMD is an independant
    application written to work in Windows, just as there are other
    players written to work in Windows like BSplayer, DivX Movie Player,
    Media Player Classic, PowerDVD, etc..

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jan 3, 2005
  16. >
    >I just got "Return of the King" (extended version released on 12/14/04) for
    >Christmas, and when I put it in my computer, it made me install a player
    >(InterActualPlayer) in order to play it! Well I don't want to install your
    >&*$%# player

    Do what I did.

    Download and install TweakUI for WindowsXP and turn off autoinsert notification
    on all DVD and CD drives.

    Check out annoyances.org for more details about what to do with Windows
    annoyances. That website is a great resource. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 14, 2005
  17. >Windows Media Player continues to be one
    >of the worst programs for playing DVDs since it does not have native
    >support for multiple audio channels or such. WMP has NEVER supported
    >DVD at any time.

    I'm just glad that I have a hardware solution for playing DVDs. Thank goodness
    that the Hollywood Plus card works with WinXP Pro. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 14, 2005