    Thanks

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 7, 2007

  2. Jonathan Walker

    EMB Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > Hi, folks.
    >
    > Anyone got an image or scan from an original instruction manual for the
    > Theatrelight Showmaster control desk preferably showing the panel layout
    > with labels pointing to the various buttons and faders?
    >
    > Any help in this matter will be very much appreciated.

    Why not call Theatrelight and ask them?

    http://www.theatrelight.co.nz/contactus.html

    EMB, Aug 7, 2007

  3. On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 08:19:24 +1200, EMB wrote:

    > Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >> Hi, folks.
    >>
    >> Anyone got an image or scan from an original instruction manual for the
    >> Theatrelight Showmaster control desk preferably showing the panel layout
    >> with labels pointing to the various buttons and faders?
    >>
    >> Any help in this matter will be very much appreciated.

    > Why not call Theatrelight and ask them?
    >
    > http://www.theatrelight.co.nz/contactus.html

    Done that.

    They no longer support that model of desk, no longer have manuals,
    software, or parts.

    They were able to advise that this particular desk was manufactured in 1989.

    Cheers

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 8, 2007
  4. Jonathan Walker

    EMB Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:

    > Done that.
    >
    > They no longer support that model of desk, no longer have manuals,
    > software, or parts.
    >
    > They were able to advise that this particular desk was manufactured in 1989.

    FFS - they still have the documentation sans pictures for download on
    their website. I'll have an ask round a few of my old contacts and see
    if anyone still has pictures of one.

    EMB, Aug 8, 2007
  5. On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 18:36:39 +1200, EMB wrote:

    >> Done that.
    >>
    >> They no longer support that model of desk, no longer have manuals,
    >> software, or parts.
    >>
    >> They were able to advise that this particular desk was manufactured in
    >> 1989.

    > FFS - they still have the documentation sans pictures for download on
    > their website. I'll have an ask round a few of my old contacts and see if
    > anyone still has pictures of one.

    I've got the MS Word document that is on their website. It was very
    helpful, albeit sans the images. It is the images that I especially am
    wanting.

    I'm needing to assess the control desk that used to be owned by the old
    Wellington Repertory Theatre to decide if it is still usable or if it
    should be replaced.

    Problem is I need to quickly figure out how to activate and use the
    automation in that desk in order to assess if the new owner should
    consider replacing it or to continue to use it.

    Currently I'm tending to the opinion that it should be replaced.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 8, 2007
  6. Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > Hi, folks.
    >
    > Anyone got an image or scan from an original instruction manual for the
    > Theatrelight Showmaster control desk preferably showing the panel layout
    > with labels pointing to the various buttons and faders?
    >
    > Any help in this matter will be very much appreciated.

    This is all from memory and will likely be a bit off.

    There are two banks of faders one above the other.

    Each fader has a flash button above it.

    Each bank is controlled by a master which should have the same coloured fader
    knob/flashbutton.

    Immediately to the right of the flash buttons of each bank there is a
    channel/scene button. When the light is on the bank is in scene mode.

    With luck the program and erase codes are on a sticker on the bottom of the board.

    The program button is red and should be above the rightmost master.

    To put the desk into program mode (light on program button on) press the
    program button and then enter the program code. Perhaps you then press the
    program button again.

    Erasing the desk is a similar process.

    With the desk in program mode and one bank in channel mode (light off on
    scne/channel mode button), press the program button once then hold down the
    program button and press the flash button of any channel. This should save that
    scene into the that scene fader.

    Programming chases is similar: set a scene, press the program button, set a
    scene, press the program button etc and when finished

    There is a DBO (Dead Black Out) button next to or above the program button. You
    probably want the light to be off.

    There are masters controlling fade time and chase speed. Cerain positions here
    (slightly above the bottom stop) allow these values to be inherited from
    programmed scenes/chases.

    That's about all I can do.

    I may have a book somewhere, but it may take months to find and it could be for
    a showmaster 2. They are pretty similar.

    Mark Robinson, Aug 8, 2007
  7. Jonathan Walker

    EMB Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:

    > Currently I'm tending to the opinion that it should be replaced.

    I'll bet all the pots are cracked and need replacing.

    EMB, Aug 8, 2007
  8. Jonathan Walker

    sam Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >

    >> Currently I'm tending to the opinion that it should be replaced.

    > I'll bet all the pots are cracked and need replacing.

    Give Grouse Lighting in Martin Square a call, they sell small manual
    lighting consoles.

    sam, Aug 8, 2007
  9. On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 21:28:38 +1200, sam wrote:

    > EMB wrote:
    >> Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >>

    >>> Currently I'm tending to the opinion that it should be replaced.

    >> I'll bet all the pots are cracked and need replacing.

    > Give Grouse Lighting in Martin Square a call, they sell small manual
    > lighting consoles.

    Thanks for the reccomendation.

    Grouse is an agent for Theatrelight.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 8, 2007
  10. On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 21:20:41 +1200, EMB wrote:

    > Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >

    >> Currently I'm tending to the opinion that it should be replaced.

    > I'll bet all the pots are cracked and need replacing.

    The faders generally seem to work. some of them are very loose - clearly
    they've had a lot of use, but still do work.

    Likewise all the buttons appear to be in fair electrical condition.

    The problem is that it does not seem to hold the programmed scenes and
    chases.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 8, 2007
  11. On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 20:12:07 +1200, Mark Robinson wrote:

    > Immediately to the right of the flash buttons of each bank there is a
    > channel/scene button. When the light is on the bank is in scene mode.
    >
    > With luck the program and erase codes are on a sticker on the bottom of
    > the board.

    Yep - got the program and erase codes.

    > The program button is red and should be above the rightmost master.

    Yep - all pretty much as you have described it. :eek:)

    > To put the desk into program mode (light on program button on) press the
    > program button and then enter the program code. Perhaps you then press the
    > program button again.
    >
    > Erasing the desk is a similar process.
    >
    > With the desk in program mode and one bank in channel mode (light off on
    > scne/channel mode button), press the program button once then hold down
    > the program button and press the flash button of any channel. This should
    > save that scene into the that scene fader.
    >
    > Programming chases is similar: set a scene, press the program button, set
    > a scene, press the program button etc and when finished
    >
    > There is a DBO (Dead Black Out) button next to or above the program
    > button. You probably want the light to be off.
    >
    > There are masters controlling fade time and chase speed. Cerain positions
    > here (slightly above the bottom stop) allow these values to be inherited
    > from programmed scenes/chases.
    >
    > That's about all I can do.

    Thanks for that, Mark - a good description of the desk.

    This particular desk works OK in channel mode, but freezes immediately
    after storing a scene, requiring the desk to be power cycled (actually two
    times) before it can be set into program mode again.

    I'm wondering if there is a battery that may need to be replaced? as I'm
    almost certain that no mantainance has been done to this desk since it was
    new.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 8, 2007
  12. Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 20:12:07 +1200, Mark Robinson wrote:
    >
    >> Immediately to the right of the flash buttons of each bank there is a
    >> channel/scene button. When the light is on the bank is in scene mode.
    >>
    >> With luck the program and erase codes are on a sticker on the bottom of
    >> the board.

    > Yep - got the program and erase codes.
    >

    >> The program button is red and should be above the rightmost master.

    > Yep - all pretty much as you have described it. :eek:)
    >

    >> To put the desk into program mode (light on program button on) press the
    >> program button and then enter the program code. Perhaps you then press the
    >> program button again.
    >>
    >> Erasing the desk is a similar process.
    >>
    >> With the desk in program mode and one bank in channel mode (light off on
    >> scne/channel mode button), press the program button once then hold down
    >> the program button and press the flash button of any channel. This should
    >> save that scene into the that scene fader.
    >>
    >> Programming chases is similar: set a scene, press the program button, set
    >> a scene, press the program button etc and when finished
    >>
    >> There is a DBO (Dead Black Out) button next to or above the program
    >> button. You probably want the light to be off.
    >>
    >> There are masters controlling fade time and chase speed. Cerain positions
    >> here (slightly above the bottom stop) allow these values to be inherited
    >> from programmed scenes/chases.
    >>
    >> That's about all I can do.

    > Thanks for that, Mark - a good description of the desk.
    >
    > This particular desk works OK in channel mode, but freezes immediately
    > after storing a scene, requiring the desk to be power cycled (actually two
    > times) before it can be set into program mode again.
    >
    > I'm wondering if there is a battery that may need to be replaced? as I'm
    > almost certain that no mantainance has been done to this desk since it was
    > new.

    Been a long time since I had one apart.

    I think there is one of those half farad 5.5V supercaps (aka goldcaps).

    Other desks had nicads and after a few years they'd leak and melt the electronics.

    Does it emit dmx-512 or a theatrelight analog serial protocol ?

    I've been playing with dmx4linux a bit recently ... it seems that it's not
    quite there yet in the public domain.

    Not far away though.

    Mark Robinson, Aug 8, 2007
  13. Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 20:12:07 +1200, Mark Robinson wrote:
    >
    >> Immediately to the right of the flash buttons of each bank there is a
    >> channel/scene button. When the light is on the bank is in scene mode.
    >>
    >> With luck the program and erase codes are on a sticker on the bottom of
    >> the board.

    > Yep - got the program and erase codes.
    >

    >> The program button is red and should be above the rightmost master.

    > Yep - all pretty much as you have described it. :eek:)
    >

    >> To put the desk into program mode (light on program button on) press the
    >> program button and then enter the program code. Perhaps you then press the
    >> program button again.
    >>
    >> Erasing the desk is a similar process.
    >>
    >> With the desk in program mode and one bank in channel mode (light off on
    >> scne/channel mode button), press the program button once then hold down
    >> the program button and press the flash button of any channel. This should
    >> save that scene into the that scene fader.
    >>
    >> Programming chases is similar: set a scene, press the program button, set
    >> a scene, press the program button etc and when finished
    >>
    >> There is a DBO (Dead Black Out) button next to or above the program
    >> button. You probably want the light to be off.
    >>
    >> There are masters controlling fade time and chase speed. Cerain positions
    >> here (slightly above the bottom stop) allow these values to be inherited
    >> from programmed scenes/chases.
    >>
    >> That's about all I can do.

    > Thanks for that, Mark - a good description of the desk.
    >
    > This particular desk works OK in channel mode, but freezes immediately
    > after storing a scene, requiring the desk to be power cycled (actually two
    > times) before it can be set into program mode again.
    >
    > I'm wondering if there is a battery that may need to be replaced? as I'm
    > almost certain that no mantainance has been done to this desk since it was
    > new.

    Did my reply to this disappear somewhere ?

    Mark Robinson, Aug 8, 2007
  14. On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 02:18:58 +1200, Mark Robinson wrote:

    >> Thanks for that, Mark - a good description of the desk.
    >>
    >> This particular desk works OK in channel mode, but freezes immediately
    >> after storing a scene, requiring the desk to be power cycled (actually
    >> two times) before it can be set into program mode again.
    >>
    >> I'm wondering if there is a battery that may need to be replaced? as I'm
    >> almost certain that no mantainance has been done to this desk since it
    >> was new.

    > Been a long time since I had one apart.
    >
    > I think there is one of those half farad 5.5V supercaps (aka goldcaps).
    >
    > Other desks had nicads and after a few years they'd leak and melt the
    > electronics.

    Hmmm... Lots of charge in one of those - something to be wary of touching I
    think.

    > Does it emit dmx-512 or a theatrelight analog serial protocol ?

    I understand that it is the TL serial protocol over a standard 3 pin
    microphone cable with a decoder at the other end.

    > I've been playing with dmx4linux a bit recently ... it seems that it's not
    > quite there yet in the public domain.
    >
    > Not far away though.

    Yeah - I think that will be a useful addition to Free software, especially
    if it can control intellegent lights.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 8, 2007
  15. On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 21:20:41 +1200, EMB <> wrote in

    > Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >

    >> Currently I'm tending to the opinion that it should be replaced.

    > I'll bet all the pots are cracked and need replacing.

    <Maniacal Cackle>

    --
    Nicolaas

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 8, 2007
  16. Jonathan Walker

    EMB Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 21:20:41 +1200, EMB wrote:
    >
    >> Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >>
    >>> Currently I'm tending to the opinion that it should be replaced.

    >> I'll bet all the pots are cracked and need replacing.

    > The faders generally seem to work. some of them are very loose - clearly
    > they've had a lot of use, but still do work.
    >
    > Likewise all the buttons appear to be in fair electrical condition.
    >
    > The problem is that it does not seem to hold the programmed scenes and
    > chases.

    I've made a few calls and nobody I know can help you.

    EMB, Aug 8, 2007
  17. Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 02:18:58 +1200, Mark Robinson wrote:
    >>> Thanks for that, Mark - a good description of the desk.
    >>>
    >>> This particular desk works OK in channel mode, but freezes immediately
    >>> after storing a scene, requiring the desk to be power cycled (actually
    >>> two times) before it can be set into program mode again.
    >>>
    >>> I'm wondering if there is a battery that may need to be replaced? as I'm
    >>> almost certain that no mantainance has been done to this desk since it
    >>> was new.

    >> Been a long time since I had one apart.
    >>
    >> I think there is one of those half farad 5.5V supercaps (aka goldcaps).
    >>
    >> Other desks had nicads and after a few years they'd leak and melt the
    >> electronics.

    > Hmmm... Lots of charge in one of those - something to be wary of touching I
    > think.

    Quite safe at only 5 volts.

    >> Does it emit dmx-512 or a theatrelight analog serial protocol ?

    > I understand that it is the TL serial protocol over a standard 3 pin
    > microphone cable with a decoder at the other end.

    I doubt you can still buy dimmers which receive this protocol so replacing the
    desk may not be trivial.

    >> I've been playing with dmx4linux a bit recently ... it seems that it's not
    >> quite there yet in the public domain.
    >>
    >> Not far away though.

    > Yeah - I think that will be a useful addition to Free software, especially
    > if it can control intellegent lights.

    Have a look at qlight:

    http://qlc.sourceforge.net/index.php?doc=News

    It's too buggy for real use but is well on the way.

    There's also a useful wiki at

    http://opendmx.net

    Mark Robinson, Aug 9, 2007
  18. On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 10:25:39 +1200, EMB <> wrote in

    > Jonathan Walker wrote:

    >>> I'll bet all the pots are cracked and need replacing.

    >> The faders generally seem to work. some of them are very loose - clearly
    >> they've had a lot of use, but still do work.
    >>
    >> Likewise all the buttons appear to be in fair electrical condition.
    >>
    >> The problem is that it does not seem to hold the programmed scenes and
    >> chases.

    > I've made a few calls and nobody I know can help you.

    One possibility might be Mike (Francis?) at MJF Lighting in Tawa.
    Also I have a feeling that Aotea College had one - a call to the teacher
    in charge of their auditorium may be useful.

    --
    Nicolaas.

    2007 Pricelessware CD now available. 600Mb of the best of the best in
    Freeware. E-Mail me for details.

    .... "Anyone can be mistaken," intoned the Dalek as he climbed off the
    dustbin, his plunger red with embarrassment.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 9, 2007
  19. On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 12:50:38 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

    >>> The faders generally seem to work. some of them are very loose -
    >>> clearly they've had a lot of use, but still do work.
    >>>
    >>> Likewise all the buttons appear to be in fair electrical condition.
    >>>
    >>> The problem is that it does not seem to hold the programmed scenes and
    >>> chases.

    >> I've made a few calls and nobody I know can help you.

    > One possibility might be Mike (Francis?) at MJF Lighting in Tawa. Also I
    > have a feeling that Aotea College had one - a call to the teacher in
    > charge of their auditorium may be useful.

    Cheers - thanks, everyone, for all your helpful posts and comments.

    I will spend another couple of hours tonight seeing what I can get it to
    do.

    However, can't take the case off tonight - got a Stars in their Eyes
    Karaoke competition that needs to be visible. :eek:)

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 9, 2007