Theater Surrord system

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by SBFan2000, Feb 14, 2004.

  1. SBFan2000

    SBFan2000 Guest

    I've got a DVD player that is refusing to play about half of my dvd
    collection for some unknown reason. (says "no disc" after about 40 seconds)
    Anyway, since I would have to pay $100 for a good replacment I thought this
    would be a good time to get the home theater system. Unfortunately I don't
    know much about what I'm looking at while shopping! For example, DTS, Dolby
    Digital, Dolby Digital 5.1-channel, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II,
    etc. I know what 5.1 channel is (5 sats and 1 subwf) but that about it.
    I'm looking to get the best possible for about $300. My biggest fear is
    that I will get a system that just channels the same audio to all speakers.
    I want true surrond sound!

    Does anyone either have a link that can help or can explain all this??
    Someone educate me! :)

    --
    Glenn Griffith

    Remove "REMOVESPAM" when emailing!!
    SBFan2000, Feb 14, 2004

  2. On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 03:05:04 -0500, "SBFan2000"
    <> wrote:

    >I've got a DVD player that is refusing to play about half of my dvd
    >collection for some unknown reason. (says "no disc" after about 40 seconds)
    >Anyway, since I would have to pay $100 for a good replacment I thought this
    >would be a good time to get the home theater system. Unfortunately I don't
    >know much about what I'm looking at while shopping! For example, DTS, Dolby
    >Digital, Dolby Digital 5.1-channel, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II,
    >etc. I know what 5.1 channel is (5 sats and 1 subwf) but that about it.
    >I'm looking to get the best possible for about $300. My biggest fear is
    >that I will get a system that just channels the same audio to all speakers.
    >I want true surrond sound!
    >
    >Does anyone either have a link that can help or can explain all this??
    >Someone educate me! :)

    I would suggest that you are not going to get much of a surround sound
    system for $300. Plan to spend at least twice that amount. You might
    consider spending a bit of time looking through the following FAQ.
    Specific details on "DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital 5.1-channel,
    Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II" can be found in section 3.6.3

    http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

    Good luck

    Charles
    nzvideos.org
    Charles Eggen, Feb 14, 2004

  3. SBFan2000

    Skid Guest

    "Charles Eggen" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 03:05:04 -0500, "SBFan2000"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I've got a DVD player that is refusing to play about half of my dvd
    > >collection for some unknown reason. (says "no disc" after about 40

    seconds)
    > >Anyway, since I would have to pay $100 for a good replacment I thought

    this
    > >would be a good time to get the home theater system. Unfortunately I

    don't
    > >know much about what I'm looking at while shopping! For example, DTS,

    Dolby
    > >Digital, Dolby Digital 5.1-channel, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II,
    > >etc. I know what 5.1 channel is (5 sats and 1 subwf) but that about it.
    > >I'm looking to get the best possible for about $300. My biggest fear is
    > >that I will get a system that just channels the same audio to all

    speakers.
    > >I want true surrond sound!
    > >
    > >Does anyone either have a link that can help or can explain all this??
    > >Someone educate me! :)

    > I would suggest that you are not going to get much of a surround sound
    > system for $300. Plan to spend at least twice that amount. You might
    > consider spending a bit of time looking through the following FAQ.
    > Specific details on "DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital 5.1-channel,
    > Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II" can be found in section 3.6.3
    >
    > http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

    Good advice. I personally think that the Kenwood Home-Theater-In-A-Box
    systems are very good choices, especially the 506.

    See http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product_type.jsp?productTypeId=33
    Skid, Feb 14, 2004
  4. SBFan2000

    Biz Guest

    I have to agree with the 1st two replies as well. YOu really shold spend
    the extra cash or you will most likely be disappointed in the whole
    experience. As a reference, my center channel costs over $400US. And thats
    not even considered that expensive. In your case, you are loooking for a
    whole system for $300. Can you buy one for thazt price, sure, but they are
    really junk at that price level. "Skid" <> wrote in
    message news:F9tXb.34999$jk2.76270@attbi_s53...

    Biz, Feb 15, 2004
  5. On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:00:12 -0800, Charles Eggen <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 03:05:04 -0500, "SBFan2000"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I've got a DVD player that is refusing to play about half of my dvd
    >>collection for some unknown reason. (says "no disc" after about 40 seconds)
    >>Anyway, since I would have to pay $100 for a good replacment I thought this
    >>would be a good time to get the home theater system. Unfortunately I don't
    >>know much about what I'm looking at while shopping! For example, DTS, Dolby
    >>Digital, Dolby Digital 5.1-channel, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II,
    >>etc. I know what 5.1 channel is (5 sats and 1 subwf) but that about it.
    >>I'm looking to get the best possible for about $300. My biggest fear is
    >>that I will get a system that just channels the same audio to all speakers.
    >>I want true surrond sound!
    >>
    >>Does anyone either have a link that can help or can explain all this??
    >>Someone educate me! :)

    >I would suggest that you are not going to get much of a surround sound
    >system for $300. Plan to spend at least twice that amount. You might
    >consider spending a bit of time looking through the following FAQ.
    >Specific details on "DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital 5.1-channel,
    >Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II" can be found in section 3.6.3
    >
    >http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
    >
    >Good luck
    >
    >Charles
    >nzvideos.org

    I should have added that I recently spent about $900 for a surround
    amp/rec., plus five speakers and associated cabling/wiring. No
    subwoofer as I don't care for them. TV, sat receiver, DVD, VHS, CD,
    etc. would be in addition to the $900. I might also add that compared
    to some systems, this is inexpensive. I know people who spend $900 for
    their amp/rec. or maybe even one speaker. Pick your budget and there
    is a system that can match it - $300 or $3000+.

    Charles
    nzvideos.org
    Charles Eggen, Feb 15, 2004
  6. SBFan2000

    McQualude Guest

    "SBFan2000" <> said:

    > I've got a DVD player that is refusing to play about half of my dvd
    > collection for some unknown reason. (says "no disc" after about 40
    > seconds)

    I have a Panasonic that does the same. After some investigation I realized
    it only plays single layer discs, inserting a dual layer disc gives the
    'no disc' error. I'm not going to have it fixed, but I was told the
    problem was the laser pickup.
    --
    McQualude
    McQualude, Feb 18, 2004