The x64 system time glitch

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?SmVhbg==?=, Aug 24, 2005.

  1. Hello there,

    For over a year I'm a proud x64 pc owner. Next to a little playing with the
    cpp version of win x64 I've been running Win32 all that time.
    About a month ago the final version of win x64 pro arrived and in all the
    excitement I fooled myself in to believing this was the time for the big
    switch...
    Bye bye win32 here comes Win x64.
    Hmm, the switch isn't going all that smooth.
    Next to some incompatibility problems (cheap non-standard-webcam, etc.) the
    weirdest glitch is bugging my computer and torturing me meanwhile.

    How should I explain this. Well, in some mysterious way since I’m running
    x64 every minute on my computer appears to last about 63 seconds. Now I know
    computer-clocks aren’t known for their accuracy but 3 sec every minute,
    that’s a bit too much in my opinion. (that’s one hour 20 hours) Fact of the
    matter is that about anything that is time dependent, like audio playback, is
    affected. (this can be quite annoying | although Directx (videofilters, etc.)
    seems somewhat immune)
    Studying the problem I’ve learned that the seconds aren’t equally longer,
    but from time to time the clock seems to stall a bit, witch also translates
    into noticeable glitch in my music playback. (the audio playing at that time
    indeed is stalled as well, when I listen to internet radio my music player
    even stops after a while, not because the loss of connection, but because
    it’s buffer is full, does take about 2 hours to fill)

    Now I wonder, what is causing this glitch, and how do I solve it???
    It’s driving me mad!

    Things I should mention:
    - If isn’t strange enough, here some more. When my computer is up for a
    while, (no rebooting, but use of standby and hibernation), the glitches seem
    to occur less often and it takes a longer time to fill up the buffer when
    listening to internet radio (in other words, keeps playing a while longer)
    - When I was using win32 I didn’t have these problems, but I do remember I
    couldn’t use the standby-function. (funny thing is, when the computer got out
    standby, I had the opposite problem, all audio (inc windows sounds) was
    played back al little faster then it should, but in a non glitchy way, as a
    result listing to internet radio was interrupted for rebuffering from time to
    time)

    To demonstrate my problem I made al little movie:
    http://users.fulladsl.be/spb2271/microsoft/
    It shows:
    - system date and time
    - a program that syncs my clock with a server every 5 minutes
    - and the AMD power app, showing processor use and Powernow mode.

    Few remarks:
    - In the back radio is playing, but I must admit that due to the fact that
    the encoding happened on the same system a lot more glitches are present in
    the movie-audio
    - The first half of the movie the computer is running with normal power
    management functions and the glitches seem to happen every time the
    processor switches back to power save mode, but as you will see in the second
    part of the movie, glitches still are present even when it doesn’t come to a
    switchback
    - The movie is about 10 minutes so at the beginning in the middle and in the
    end you clearly see how my computer loses track of time.

    I do hope someone knows how to solve this.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVhbg==?=, Aug 24, 2005

  2. Oh, I don't know - used to be that overclocking could drive your clock
    'nuts'. Could even result from tweaking at the factory that you know nothing
    about. Try going into BIOS setup and 'underclock' it by, say, twenty
    percent - see what happens?

    I suspect that some high performance HD systems may not perform very well
    with 'Windows System Cache' enabled. Tried asking about it here, but no
    respons.

    Happy tweaking!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 24, 2005

  3. It's a Targa Visionary 811 Notebook with an Athlon64 2800+ Mobile processor....
    Doesn't leave any room for clockmodifications....

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVhbg==?=, Aug 24, 2005
  4. Great news,
    I just ran a Bios update and problem just got whorse, now I'm running late
    31 sec every 5 minutes...

    AAARRRRGGGG!!!!!

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVhbg==?=, Aug 24, 2005
  5. Alright - there's maybe a lead. I would contact those BIOS support people,
    and see what they have to say.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 24, 2005
  6. Hello Jean,
    Try using /usepmtimer in the boot.ini.
    Tell us if this makes any difference.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "=?Utf-8?B?SmVhbg==?=" <>
    <Subject: Re: The x64 system time glitch
    <Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 02:16:04 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Aug 25, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?SmVhbg==?=

    Jean Guest

    I've contacted the boispeople, and as expected they say they can't give
    support since they sold me the system with a 32bit OS.

    /usepmtimer

    I'll try it, can you tell me what it actually does?

    Jean, Aug 26, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?SmVhbg==?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    Jud Hendrix, Aug 26, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?SmVhbg==?=

    Jean Guest

    Sorry, didn't do anything.
    Clock still running 31 secs slow every 5 mins.
    And actually my music sounds glichty'er then ever.
    pfff!

    Jean, Aug 26, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?SmVhbg==?=

    Jean Guest

    Nope, even with the options suggested there.
    But I see this option is for solving a directX timing problem.
    Fact is my direct isn't affected, at least, I don't think it is.
    The problem runs deeper, it's the entire computer that has problems
    keeping track of time.

    Jean, Aug 26, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?SmVhbg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Try Microsoft Update and see if there are drivers there that are WHQL.

    John Barnes, Aug 26, 2005
  12. Hello Jud,
    This just got published. I would have posted it with the first message,
    except it still wasn't available then.
    Talks about the switch.
    895980 Programs that use the QueryPerformanceCounter function may perform
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=895980

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: Jud Hendrix <>
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:32:24 +0200
    <
    <On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:18:28 +0200, Jean <> wrote:
    <
    <>I'll try it, can you tell me what it actually does?
    <
    <http://blogs.msdn.com/tparks/archive/2005/05/14/417516.aspx
    <
    <sort off :)
    <
    <jud
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Aug 26, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?SmVhbg==?=

    Jean Guest

    Hmmm…..
    I don’t know for sure, but I think it’s less severe this morning. I’ve
    heard les glitches and am losing 15sec per 5mins.
    Because of the post about the Microsoft KB article I tried /usepmtimer
    again, but with the options in the order like in the KB article witch is
    the opposite of the Blog.
    But it’s probably more likely that it’s the new driver+/usepmtimer
    combination that makes the difference….
    (come to think of it, 15secs every 5 min that’s like 3 sec per min, or
    the difference I had before the bios update)

    Thx for the helpful info.
    Any other suggestions…

    Jean, Aug 27, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?SmVhbg==?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Might seem a stupid thing to suggest but what happens when you DON'T use the
    AMD PowerNow driver/utility? (that would have been the FIRST thing I would
    have disabled and tried...)

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Aug 27, 2005
  15. =?Utf-8?B?SmVhbg==?=

    Jean Guest

    Well, the problem was there from the beginning and the first few weeks I
    ran the standard windows driver. So don’t know if this could make the
    difference…
    Is it safe to uninstall the processor driver?
    Let’s hope so, I’ll try

    Jean, Aug 28, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?SmVhbg==?=

    Jean Guest

    Tried with the "Processor" driver most standard of them all I Guess.
    Less glitches in the sound I believe, but still 15 sec late every 5 min
    and it does make my computer more noisy. (cooler keeps running and
    that’s a problem as well)
    Now running the microft K8 driver, once again with glitches.

    Jean, Aug 28, 2005
  17. =?Utf-8?B?SmVhbg==?=

    Jean Guest

    I there a way to get more control over PowerNow, like with “always on”
    de computer doesn’t switch to power save mode, but then the opposite,
    not allowing the computer to run in anything but power save mode ?

    Jean, Aug 28, 2005
  18. =?Utf-8?B?SmVhbg==?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Looks like it didn't work but it was worth a try... :-(

    To be honest Jean, I don't currently have a system that runs the PowerNow
    stuff so I don't have a clue really. I'm just aware of the mechanics and
    purpose of it, that's all (and so thought it might have some effect in
    regard to your problem...).

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Aug 28, 2005
  19. Jean.. is there any way you can just boot into the BIOS and watch the clock
    from there?

    Maybe set the laptop next to another system which is having it's time sync'd
    to see if the BIOS time is off as well?

    I guess what I'm saying is.. why don't we 100% make sure it's a software
    problem..

    =?Utf-8?B?TGxveWQgU2V2ZXJlbmNl?=, Aug 31, 2005
  20. =?Utf-8?B?SmVhbg==?=

    Jean Guest

    Good Point,
    I'll try...
    With a 3 second per minute loss any properly working clock will do, no?

    Jean, Aug 31, 2005