The Worrying State of IT

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by TheITGirl, Dec 13, 2007.

  1. TheITGirl

    TheITGirl Guest

    Hi

    I've just stumbled across this in an online tech forum. Thought I'd share
    it with you. If this guy can make it to Network Manager, without knowing
    what DNS is, then there's hope for all of us!

    <QUOTE>

    How does one clean the DSN cache?

    I successfully 'repaired' the "Lan or High-Speed Internet Connection" on
    the two laptops but the repair process on the desktop ends with an error
    message:

    <<Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following
    action cannot be completed:
    Cleaning the DNS cache
    For assistance, contact the person who manages your network.>>

    I'm the network manager but have no idea what "DNS" stands for, to say
    nothing of how to clean its cache.

    Could someone please explain what is a DNS cache and guide me though the
    process successfully repairing my desktop's LAN connection?

    </UNQUOTE>

    IT Girl MCDST

    TheITGirl, Dec 13, 2007

  2. TheITGirl

    Chris Lobban Guest

    Wow...

    If he's a 'Network Manager' and his idea of 'repairing' a network issue is
    to simply click on the 'Repair' button on the network interface and pray
    that Windows fixes everything, while he personally has apparently no clue
    what windows is dueing, how to help it when it has trouble, or even what DNS
    stands for...

    Somebody hold me, I'm scared...

    And he can't even figure out how to look the error message, or the simple
    definition of DNS up by himself? I consider that in this job it's just as
    important to know how to find information as it is to know the information
    itself, because so much is always changing. This is definitely a scary thing
    to me. Where does he work? It sounds like I could go in and take over the
    amount of work he does on a part-time basis (maybe 1-2 hours a day) and
    collect his full salary. I could use the extra money. ;-)

    Chris

    Chris Lobban, Dec 13, 2007

  3. TheITGirl

    TBone Guest

    And on the eigth day "TheITGirl" <> did
    cause the electrons to come together and form the following words:

    > <QUOTE>
    >
    > How does one clean the DSN cache?

    .... and this, my dear, is why our organization continues to exist. He
    probably attended a boot camp and then dumped his way through the exams.

    Just tell him that his daughter she come to your house and she kick your
    dog.

    -------

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL

    TBone, Dec 13, 2007
  4. YOU KICK MY DOG

    Michael Gossett, Dec 13, 2007
  5. TheITGirl

    JaR Guest

    On 12/13/2007, Michael Gossett had the unmitigated gall to claim:

    > YOU KICK MY DOG
    >
    > "TBone" <reply2me@thenewsgroup> wrote in message
    > news:Xns9A05615E72748replyhere@207.46.248.16... >And on the eigth
    > day "TheITGirl" <> did
    > > cause the electrons to come together and form the following words:
    > >
    > > > <QUOTE>
    > > >
    > > > How does one clean the DSN cache?

    > > ... and this, my dear, is why our organization continues to exist.
    > > He probably attended a boot camp and then dumped his way through
    > > the exams.
    > >
    > > Just tell him that his daughter she come to your house and she kick
    > > your dog.
    > >
    > > -------
    > >
    > > T-Bone
    > > MCNGP XL

    SHUT UP! YOU SHUT UP YOU STINK!

    --
    JaR
    Trying to confuse

    JaR, Dec 13, 2007
  6. TheITGirl

    CBIC Guest

    "JaR" <> wrote in message
    > On 12/13/2007, Michael Gossett had the unmitigated gall to claim:
    >
    >> YOU KICK MY DOG
    >>
    >> "TBone" <reply2me@thenewsgroup> wrote in message
    >> news:Xns9A05615E72748replyhere@207.46.248.16... >And on the eigth
    >> day "TheITGirl" <> did
    >> > cause the electrons to come together and form the following words:

    >> > ... and this, my dear, is why our organization continues to exist.
    >> > He probably attended a boot camp and then dumped his way through
    >> > the exams.
    >> >
    >> > Just tell him that his daughter she come to your house and she kick
    >> > your dog.
    >> >
    >> > -------
    >> >
    >> > T-Bone
    >> > MCNGP XL

    > SHUT UP! YOU SHUT UP YOU STINK!

    You're going to jail

    CBIC, Dec 13, 2007
  7. "TheITGirl" <> wrote in news:#rdvl5WPIHA.5360
    @TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl:

    > How does one clean the DSN cache?

    That Network admin was me back in 1998. I sort of fell into the position
    because - as my boss put it "You are the only one left that knows where the
    on button is" regarding the computers...lol.

    So give him 9 years and maybe he will learn :p

    Red Swingline Stapler, Dec 13, 2007
  8. TheITGirl

    CBIC Guest

    "catwalker63" <> wrote in message
    > "CBIC" <> prattled ceaselessly in news:eX
    > $:
    >

    >> "JaR" <> wrote in message
    >>> On 12/13/2007, Michael Gossett had the unmitigated gall to claim:

    >>> SHUT UP! YOU SHUT UP YOU STINK!
    >>>

    >> You're going to jail
    >>

    > I'm going to get my lawyer and he's going to rush you!

    You say bad word.

    CBIC, Dec 13, 2007
  9. TheITGirl

    JaR Guest

    On 12/13/2007, CBIC had the unmitigated gall to claim:

    > "catwalker63" <> wrote in message
    > news:Xns9A05893AC3693catwalker63athotmail@216.196.97.136... >"CBIC"
    > <> prattled ceaselessly in news:eX
    > > $:
    > >

    > >>"JaR" <> wrote in message

    > words:

    > exist. >>>>> He probably attended a boot camp and then dumped his
    > way through >>>>> the exams.

    > kick >>>>> your dog.

    > > > You're going to jail
    > > >

    > > I'm going to get my lawyer and he's going to rush you!
    > >

    > You say bad word.

    *sigh*

    Like old times...

    --
    JaR
    Deja vu all over again

    JaR, Dec 14, 2007
  10. Where did you read this by the way...

    Michael Gossett, Jan 7, 2008
  11. TheITGirl

    TheITGirl Guest

    "Michael Gossett" <> wrote in message
    > Where did you read this by the way...

    Can't remember now, Michael. I was doing a search in Google for a DNS
    problem I was having and came across it.

    IT Girl MCDST

    TheITGirl, Jan 8, 2008
  12. http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t7843-dsn-cache.html

    Found it :)

    I think he is confusing network manager with some other title ... hehe.

    Michael Gossett, Jan 22, 2008