The Windows Live Messenger Team would like your feedback!

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Messenger Voice/Video Feedback, May 22, 2006.

  1. The Messenger Voice/Video team from Microsoft needs your help! We're
    looking for feedback on the new Voice Connectivity Platform in our latest
    v8.0 Beta.

    How can you help??
    - Try installing the current v8.0 Beta from http://ideas.live.com and make
    PC-to-PC or PC-to-Phone calls to your friends/family. What we'd like to
    know is a) Was the call successful? b) How long did it take for the call to
    connect? c) How was the Audio Quality?

    NOTE: To use the new Voice Connectivity Platform for PC-to-PC Calls, both
    users will need to be on the v8.0 Beta. If one user is on v7.5, Voice calls
    should still be backwards compatible.

    Please report any Messenger Voice/Video issues to .

    Also, please don't forget to check out the official Messenger Blog at
    http://spaces.msn.com/MessengerSays/

    Thanks!

    - The Messenger Team
    Messenger Voice/Video Feedback, May 22, 2006

  2. Messenger Voice/Video Feedback

    Guest

    Watch out! This looks a lot like a phishing site!!
    , May 22, 2006

  3. Messenger Voice/Video Feedback

    Martyn Dewar Guest

    wrote:
    > Watch out! This looks a lot like a phishing site!!

    Both sites are legit. - ideas.live.com is Microsoft / MSN's test site
    for new stuff (Windows Live Messenger, Windows Live Mail etc).

    And the spaces site is the MSN Messenger team blog.

    To repeat, both are legit.

    --
    Martyn Dewar
    E: newsreply(at)dont-spam.me.uk
    Martyn Dewar, May 22, 2006
  4. Messenger Voice/Video Feedback

    gumu Guest

    If it is legit, it's strange that it is asking for usernames and
    passwords on http and not https. Would you put your details into this
    site??
    gumu, May 22, 2006
  5. "gumu" <> wrote in message
    > If it is legit, it's strange that it is asking for usernames and
    > passwords on http and not https. Would you put your details into this
    > site??

    Also very strange that it came from a Comcast account, one of the worst
    cesspits of zombie PC networks.
    Richard H Huelin, May 22, 2006
  6. Messenger Voice/Video Feedback

    Martyn Dewar Guest

    Richard H Huelin wrote:

    > "gumu" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>If it is legit, it's strange that it is asking for usernames and
    >>passwords on http and not https. Would you put your details into this
    >>site??

    > Also very strange that it came from a Comcast account, one of the worst
    > cesspits of zombie PC networks.

    Look closely at the sending host, it's in Seattle - the Windows Live
    Messenger team are in Seattle.

    Furthermore, the login can be forced to be HTTPS by changing http:// to
    https:// - looks like MS simply made a mistake in the link on the website.

    It is genuine though, and Microsoft have been touting it for a while.

    See http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=live.com for some further
    evidence that it is actually MS.

    Martyn Dewar, May 22, 2006
  7. "Messenger Voice/Video Feedback" <> wrote:
    > - Try installing the current v8.0 Beta from http://ideas.live.com and
    > make

    Are you trying to "out beta" Google? Looks like someone at Microsoft
    thinks that "beta" is a magic word that will make a product take off. That
    website reminds me of the Southpark episode: The Simpsons Already Did It.
    =?iso-8859-1?q?C=2E_Se=F1or?=, May 23, 2006
  8. Yes, the links that were provided are legit and the e-mail address
    '' is a distribution list which will actually get you in
    touch with the Messenger Development Team that focuses on the Audio/Video
    feature(s).

    We're trying to get as much feedback on the Audio/Video features as we can
    before we release our final version. If you haven't tried out the Beta
    already, please give it a try and let us know your feedback.

    Thanks!

    Messenger Voice/Video Feedback, May 24, 2006
  9. Nope! We're just trying to get as much feedback from 'out in the wild' as
    we can. There is only so much testing a product team can do in a controlled
    lab environment. We want your feedback to see where we can improve and also
    address any annoying bugs before we launch our final release.

    Thanks,

    The Messenger Team

    Messenger Voice/Video Feedback, May 24, 2006
  10. "Messenger Voice/Video Feedback" <> wrote:
    > "C. Señor" <> wrote in message
    >> "Messenger Voice/Video Feedback" <> wrote:
    >>> - Try installing the current v8.0 Beta from http://ideas.live.com and
    >>> make

    >> Are you trying to "out beta" Google? Looks like someone at Microsoft
    >> thinks that "beta" is a magic word that will make a product take off.
    >> That website reminds me of the Southpark episode: The Simpsons Already
    >> Did It.

    > Nope! We're just trying to get as much feedback from 'out in the wild'
    > as we can. There is only so much testing a product team can do in a
    > controlled lab environment. We want your feedback to see where we can
    > improve and also address any annoying bugs before we launch our final
    > release.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > The Messenger Team

    Here's some feedback you may find useful:

    On Usenet it's generally considered bad 'net eqiquette' to post at the
    top. See how now I've moved your post to a more sensible place it's now
    easy to read? If you top post you tend to get something like this:

    So it doesn't mess up the flow of reading.
    > How come?
    > > I prefer to reply inline.
    > > > What do you do instead?

    Please feel free to print this message out and pin it up around
    Microsoft's offices so that others may learn.

    Also, you should stop using Outlook Express.
    =?iso-8859-1?q?C=2E_Se=F1or?=, May 24, 2006
  11. Messenger Voice/Video Feedback

    paul hayes Guest

    C. Señor wrote:
    {snip]

    > Also, you should stop using Outlook Express.

    They'd probably get the sack if they're caught using Thunderbird :)
    paul hayes, May 24, 2006
  12. Messenger Voice/Video Feedback

    JC Guest

    On Wed, 24 May 2006 10:41:19 GMT, C. Señor <>
    wrote:

    >On Usenet it's generally considered bad 'net eqiquette' to post at the
    >top. See how now I've moved your post to a more sensible place it's now
    >easy to read? If you top post you tend to get something like this:

    >Also, you should stop using Outlook Express.

    The two are probably related. Outlook Express had been around for
    years as a released product and still contains these flaws in default
    settings. I'd hate to think what their 'beta' messenger looks like.

    Rgds
    Jonathan
    JC, May 30, 2006