The White Box

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by virtualadepts@gmail.com, Jul 13, 2006.

  1. Guest

    INTRODUCING
    THE WHITE BOX

    Brought To You By:

    Alt.Magick

    Introduction:

    So, you are paranoid enough to wonder if the police have been tapping
    your line? Maybe it is the 8 month long drug probe you heard about
    that led to 19 arrests in your area? Or not, but that's what tipped me
    off to inventing the White Box. And if you are like me then you will
    appreciate the peace of mind that comes with knowing that the
    Department of Homeland Security isn't reading your e-mails to Grandma.

    What is the white box? It is a device you can attach to your own phone
    line, which will generate a moderate amount of line noise that makes it
    impossible for the government to sniff traffic between you and your
    ISP. But it doesn't generate enough line noise to interfere with your
    connection. The device is usually called a noise box, and can also be
    used to add an abnormal amount of noise on the line, which would make
    data transmissions almost impossible and voice communications annoying.

    I discovered this Box by accident because one of the silver wires in my
    phone cords was exposed for most of the year. Whenever anything
    touched it, the cord would generate a small amount of noise on the
    line. And because my phone was being tapped as part of a drug
    investigation, my ISP would *drop my call*, but because someone else
    was listening I couldn't get a dial-tone until I manually forced my
    modem to hang-up. That may not happen with all wire-taps, but you can
    be sure that a little line noise makes it really hard for them to know
    what's happening during a data transmission. So, now that you know what
    it is, let us go about the steps of building one.

    Building/Installing A Noise-Box:

    Materials:
    1 RJ11 Coupler
    1 5k Potentiometer/10k Potentiometer 15 turn
    1 1.0-1.5 uf Capacitor, non-polarized, 100vdc+
    1 100 ohm, 1/2 or 1/4 watt resistor

    Procedure:

    1) Solder one end of the capacitor to the middle lug of the pot.
    2) Solder one end of the resistor to either remaining end on the
    pot.
    3) Open up the RJ11 Coupler and expose expose some copper on the red
    and green wires.
    4) Take your white box and hook the capacitor to the green wire.
    9) Hook the resistor to the red wire.
    10) Plug a phone line into the white box.
    11) You can now adjust the pot to add noise to the line.
    11) Remember to remove the white box when you have finished testing.

    Closing:

    Pretty nifty, huh? Well, I know there are easier ways of doing this,
    and I will experiment a bit to find the best combination, so you won't
    have to go around adjusting pots and shit because this guide was
    created to interfere with making calls. And not blocking out Wire taps.
    It may not be perfectly suited as a tool to make it harder to log your
    traffic, but just a minimal amount of line noise will cause problems
    while you are being tapped. While it would take a lot more to do it
    when your line is clean.
    , Jul 13, 2006

  2. Jim Watt Guest

    On 13 Jul 2006 12:31:11 -0700, wrote:

    >What is the white box? It is a device you can attach to your own phone
    >line, which will generate a moderate amount of line noise that makes it
    >impossible for the government to sniff traffic between you and your
    >ISP. But it doesn't generate enough line noise to interfere with your
    >connection. The device is usually called a noise box, and can also be
    >used to add an abnormal amount of noise on the line, which would make
    >data transmissions almost impossible and voice communications annoying.

    Best used with a tin foil hat to prevent aliens reading your mind.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jul 14, 2006

  3. Jim Watt wrote:
    > On 13 Jul 2006 12:31:11 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >> What is the white box? It is a device you can attach to your own phone
    >> line, which will generate a moderate amount of line noise that makes it
    >> impossible for the government to sniff traffic between you and your
    >> ISP. But it doesn't generate enough line noise to interfere with your
    >> connection. The device is usually called a noise box, and can also be
    >> used to add an abnormal amount of noise on the line, which would make
    >> data transmissions almost impossible and voice communications annoying.

    > Best used with a tin foil hat to prevent aliens reading your mind.
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    One must use metal ear plugs too .... otherwise the aliens invade your
    ear canal and go swimming on the wax.
    Henry Sniadoch, Jul 14, 2006