    techs. Stay with XP or 98-or what ever.

    In Unity
    teak

    teak, Aug 7, 2007

  2. "teak" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Vista really sucks. It looks neat, but it is slow and not worth the
    > effort.
    > My problem is that Vista needs a DVD ROM-Gee-lets all go out and buy
    > new DVD Drives. That is what I want to do with my hard earned money.
    >
    > Than the Drivers needed are on the System Disk. And if they ain't
    > there, buy.
    >
    > My system manual says it takes Vista, but in reality, it takes XP.
    > and 98.
    >
    > Vista seems to be more trouble than it is worth I hear from other
    > techs. Stay with XP or 98-or what ever.
    >
    > In Unity
    > teak

    so, you take this word of mouth? That's great. Let's all
    make decisions based on heresy.

    You can get Vista on CD.

    You can tweak it too.

    Yes it's new, and buggy. But the service packs will
    remedy a lot.

    Good advice to stay with XP for now, though.

    Curtis

    Curtis D. Levin, Aug 7, 2007

  3. teak

    Tom Benoit Guest

    I agree with you Barry. Anybody that has ever bought the "first" edition of
    any MS operating system has learned to wait for the inevitable SP edition.

    Athough its been awhile since I used the "Vista Upgrade Advisor", I do seem
    to recall it was "recommended" to have a DVD.

    Tom

    Tom Benoit, Aug 8, 2007
  4. teak

    Mister Guest

    I just installed Vista on two computers today and have a list of new
    components that need to be purchased because there are no drivers for
    them. A Netgear FA311 NIC, Sound Blaster Live, a modem (can't
    remember the name) and the Intel 845 Video chip all seem to be out of
    date according to Vista. Needless to say, the new components are not
    being purchased and the test drive I installed it on was pulled and
    the XP drive is back on.
    It was installed using a DVD ROM drive, but I had the 4 CD Vista
    Business version.
    Unfortunately, I don't think any serive pack will resolve driver
    issues for so called out of date components.
    I just upgraded my personal computer to 4GB of RAM in preparation for
    Vista. I think all I need now is a new sound card and updates to a
    dozen programs I use to make them work on Vista. I'm in no hurry to
    move to Vista after what I experienced today.

    Mister, Aug 8, 2007
  5. teak

    Tom Benoit Guest

    Did you use the "Upgrade Advisor" prior to installing Vista on the two
    computers?
    Did you check the latest HAL on Windows Marketplace to make sure all
    components were approved?

    Tom

    Tom Benoit, Aug 8, 2007
  6. teak

    Tom Benoit Guest

    Sorry about the typo...HAL = HCL...

    I took a quick look and did not find the components you listed on the list.

    Tom

    Tom Benoit, Aug 8, 2007
  7. teak

    Mister Guest

    No. Now wait, before anyone says "aha, see, you didn't do it right!"
    The reason I was installing it on either computer, which later turned
    out to be on both, was to see how long it takes to install, and what
    problems I might have with the computers in the company. It was a
    good excercise and the results are that XP will be on these computers
    until their EOL.
    As it turns out, not one single computer in our company is capable of
    running Vista without some sort of component upgrade. The component
    that needs to be replaced in most of our computers (Dells) is the
    sound card (Sound Blaster).

    Mister, Aug 8, 2007
  8. teak

    smackedass Guest

    I got it, I like it. It's not perfect, but...

    The main thing, I believe, to be careful about is when installing it onto a
    computer that isn't brand new. Microsoft always downplays the system
    requirements, and they really did, this time. Especially for the graphics
    card, most pre-2007 computers just won't have a sufficient graphics card to
    support the new graphics, which are outstanding. Also, it is very RAM
    intensive. I wanted to be familiar with the OS quickly, didn't want to f***
    around, so back in May, I just bought a brand new Inspiron E1505 from Dell,
    with 2 Gigs of RAM. Generally, it's a nice experience. It's crashed 3
    times since May, and there are a few other flies in the ointment, but it's
    good.

    And, indeed, many third-party drivers aren't ready for Vista, but they'll
    have to be, sooner or later.

    smackedass

    smackedass, Aug 8, 2007
  9. teak

    Patty Guest

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 12:05:40 GMT, smackedass wrote:

    > I got it, I like it. It's not perfect, but...
    >
    > The main thing, I believe, to be careful about is when installing it onto a
    > computer that isn't brand new. Microsoft always downplays the system
    > requirements, and they really did, this time. Especially for the graphics
    > card, most pre-2007 computers just won't have a sufficient graphics card to
    > support the new graphics, which are outstanding. Also, it is very RAM
    > intensive. I wanted to be familiar with the OS quickly, didn't want to f***
    > around, so back in May, I just bought a brand new Inspiron E1505 from Dell,
    > with 2 Gigs of RAM. Generally, it's a nice experience. It's crashed 3
    > times since May, and there are a few other flies in the ointment, but it's
    > good.
    >
    > And, indeed, many third-party drivers aren't ready for Vista, but they'll
    > have to be, sooner or later.
    >
    > smackedass

    And, the NForce2 motherboards are left out totally, because NVidia decided
    not to do Vista drivers for them (I have 2 of them). That said, I won't be
    upgrading to Vista in any near future date, which I feel is bad since I do
    have my A+ and my knowledge of Vista issues will be very limited, but I
    just can't afford to buy a new computer right now. My husband lost his
    job, and we've gone from two incomes down to one. Btw, he's over 55, only
    has a high school diploma and worked in factories (the same job for the
    last 30 years) all his life. So, no, he's not employable I figure due to
    age and lack of education. But, I digress here.

    I'm disappointed that so much hardware is left without Vista drivers, but,
    as I recall, the same type of thing happened when XP came out, didn't it?

    Patty
    A+ 2006
    Now working on Network+

    Patty, Aug 8, 2007
  10. teak

    Tony Guest

    On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 07:28:01 -0700, teak <> wrote:

    >Vista really sucks. It looks neat, but it is slow and not worth the
    >effort.
    >My problem is that Vista needs a DVD ROM-Gee-lets all go out and buy
    >new DVD Drives. That is what I want to do with my hard earned money.
    >
    >Than the Drivers needed are on the System Disk. And if they ain't
    >there, buy.
    >
    >My system manual says it takes Vista, but in reality, it takes XP.
    >and 98.
    >
    >Vista seems to be more trouble than it is worth I hear from other
    >techs. Stay with XP or 98-or what ever.
    >
    >In Unity
    >teak

    It's called progress and the result is it needs a more robust system. What does a DVD drive cost?
    $20? A DVD Dual Layer recorder costs around $40 so the Rom drive will be much cheaper. Drivers will
    need to catch up as well as software updates. Happens with every new OS release. Everyone HATED XP
    when it came out with all of it's bugs and security holes. Then, the service packs came and it is
    pretty solid. Why did you bother to get Vista if you didnt meet the minimum requirements? I hope
    you have 1GB ram or more.

    Tony

    Tony, Aug 8, 2007
  11. teak

    Tony Guest

    For everyone that is complaining about certain devices that do not have Vista drivers, what is the
    big deal about buying new ones that do? A DVD Rom drive is $20 or so. A new Soundblaster card is
    probably $20-25. A new motherboard that does support Vista is only about $45. And since we all read
    this newsgroup, I assume most of you can do the work yourself. So, even with those three items, it
    will cost about $85. If that is too much to spend, then I would not advise buying Vista. You do not
    need it. Many users just want to be the first to get something but that is not always a good idea.

    As I said in a previous post, this happens with every OS release. Vista is no exception. Device
    manufacturers have to catch up to the OS.

    Tony

    Tony, Aug 8, 2007
  12. teak

    Patty Guest

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 12:52:29 -0400, Tony wrote:

    > For everyone that is complaining about certain devices that do not have Vista drivers, what is the
    > big deal about buying new ones that do? A DVD Rom drive is $20 or so. A new Soundblaster card is
    > probably $20-25. A new motherboard that does support Vista is only about $45. And since we all read
    > this newsgroup, I assume most of you can do the work yourself. So, even with those three items, it
    > will cost about $85. If that is too much to spend, then I would not advise buying Vista. You do not
    > need it. Many users just want to be the first to get something but that is not always a good idea.
    >
    > As I said in a previous post, this happens with every OS release. Vista is no exception. Device
    > manufacturers have to catch up to the OS.
    >
    > Tony

    What about a CPU to go into that new motherboard? What about RAM? I don't
    think my DDR RAM will work in a board that needs DDR2 or higher. Can't run
    a computer with just a motherboard, soundcard and DVD-ROM drive. You
    oversimplify.

    I agree that every new major OS upgrade makes some hardware obsolete. I'm
    not arguing that point. I'm just saying that right now, for me, when I can
    barely make the house payment and buy groceries, there's not even a new DVD
    ROM drive in my future.

    Patty

    Patty, Aug 8, 2007
  13. teak

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 13:02:36 -0400, Patty <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 12:52:29 -0400, Tony wrote:
    >
    >> For everyone that is complaining about certain devices that do not have Vista drivers, what is the
    >> big deal about buying new ones that do? A DVD Rom drive is $20 or so. A new Soundblaster card is
    >> probably $20-25. A new motherboard that does support Vista is only about $45. And since we all read
    >> this newsgroup, I assume most of you can do the work yourself. So, even with those three items, it
    >> will cost about $85. If that is too much to spend, then I would not advise buying Vista. You do not
    >> need it. Many users just want to be the first to get something but that is not always a good idea.
    >>
    >> As I said in a previous post, this happens with every OS release. Vista is no exception. Device
    >> manufacturers have to catch up to the OS.
    >>
    >> Tony

    >What about a CPU to go into that new motherboard? What about RAM? I don't
    >think my DDR RAM will work in a board that needs DDR2 or higher. Can't run
    >a computer with just a motherboard, soundcard and DVD-ROM drive. You
    >oversimplify.
    >
    >I agree that every new major OS upgrade makes some hardware obsolete. I'm
    >not arguing that point. I'm just saying that right now, for me, when I can
    >barely make the house payment and buy groceries, there's not even a new DVD
    >ROM drive in my future.
    >
    >Patty

    You mentioned in an earlier post that the nvidia(?) chipset on your motherboard did not support
    Vista. That sounded like that was stopping you Vista installation from being successful. When I
    said to get another motherboard, I meant to get the same socket size but a different chipset (one
    that does support Vista). No need for anothre CPU or memory. Just try to match the specs of your
    current motherboard with another one with the chipset you need. Simple.

    If you are struggling that much with bills, you then the Vista upgrade should not be in the near
    future for you either. Just stick with XP until you are in a better place financially to upgrade.

    Tony

    Tony, Aug 9, 2007
  14. teak

    smackedass Guest

    "Tony" < > wrote in message
    > For everyone that is complaining about certain devices that do not have
    > Vista drivers, what is the
    > big deal about buying new ones that do? A DVD Rom drive is $20 or so. A
    > new Soundblaster card is
    > probably $20-25. A new motherboard that does support Vista is only about
    > $45. And since we all read
    > this newsgroup, I assume most of you can do the work yourself. So, even
    > with those three items, it
    > will cost about $85. If that is too much to spend, then I would not advise
    > buying Vista. You do not
    > need it. Many users just want to be the first to get something but that is
    > not always a good idea.

    Certainly I agree in theory, that anyone that's interested in this thread
    ought to be able to do a home-made upgrade, but, practically speaking, at
    this point it's more of a hobby or an experiment than a 1-2-3 proposition.
    Sure, some of us may have the time/budget/inclination to do this, but what
    happens if (when) something goes wrong? How many people want to experience
    the inconvenience and aggravation of the possibility of the whole
    newly-assembled system not working, for whatever reason? Yes, we all learn
    from challenges, but if somebody has one working computer, do they really
    want to go out on that limb? It requires a WORKING computer to download
    drivers and conduct research.

    I have no regrets for having put down $1358 for the Vista Dell laptop from
    whence this post is being typed. At least I'll have a plain point of
    reference when the day arrives that I do have to upgrade an old box. And,
    it looks pretty darn good when I go on client calls and whip this baby out,
    the understated impression is that I am the Man In The Know, and the Man To
    Know when the client us considering the upgrade.

    sa

    smackedass, Aug 9, 2007
  15. teak

    Patty Guest

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 23:43:46 -0400, Tony wrote:

    > You mentioned in an earlier post that the nvidia(?) chipset on your motherboard did not support
    > Vista. That sounded like that was stopping you Vista installation from being successful. When I
    > said to get another motherboard, I meant to get the same socket size but a different chipset (one
    > that does support Vista). No need for anothre CPU or memory. Just try to match the specs of your
    > current motherboard with another one with the chipset you need. Simple.
    >
    > If you are struggling that much with bills, you then the Vista upgrade should not be in the near
    > future for you either. Just stick with XP until you are in a better place financially to upgrade.
    >
    > Tony

    I don't know that you can buy SocketA motherboards anymore, at least any
    with chipsets that Vista would support. At the time I bought my board,
    NForce2 was the newest. Shortly after that, SocketA boards began
    disappearing. When you heard it was an NForce2 board you should have
    realized that perhaps the board is fairly old technology-wise and perhaps
    the CPU and RAM technology is much different from what is available now (4
    years later). You cannot assume that because someone says Vista does not
    support their chipset, they can find a newer board with a newer chipset
    that will take all the same parts (CPU and RAM) and will be supported. I
    just found your response a bit flippant.

    No, I do not plan on getting Vista, and mostly because of the hardware
    issue, not my financial issue (I could probably spring for a Vista Upgrade
    version, but not when you add in all the additional hardware purchases I
    would also have to make). I only mentioned that being A+ certified, it
    will limit my ability to work with Vista systems since I have no experience
    with them or the OS and because of that, I was disappointed.

    I also mentioned that this is common with most major OS upgrades. A
    similar situation existed with XP when it came out.

    Patty
    A+ 2006
    Studying for Network+

    Patty, Aug 9, 2007
  16. teak

    Tony Guest

    On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 09:16:23 -0400, Patty <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 23:43:46 -0400, Tony wrote:
    >
    >> You mentioned in an earlier post that the nvidia(?) chipset on your motherboard did not support
    >> Vista. That sounded like that was stopping you Vista installation from being successful. When I
    >> said to get another motherboard, I meant to get the same socket size but a different chipset (one
    >> that does support Vista). No need for anothre CPU or memory. Just try to match the specs of your
    >> current motherboard with another one with the chipset you need. Simple.
    >>
    >> If you are struggling that much with bills, you then the Vista upgrade should not be in the near
    >> future for you either. Just stick with XP until you are in a better place financially to upgrade.
    >>
    >> Tony

    >I don't know that you can buy SocketA motherboards anymore, at least any
    >with chipsets that Vista would support. At the time I bought my board,
    >NForce2 was the newest. Shortly after that, SocketA boards began
    >disappearing. When you heard it was an NForce2 board you should have
    >realized that perhaps the board is fairly old technology-wise and perhaps
    >the CPU and RAM technology is much different from what is available now (4
    >years later). You cannot assume that because someone says Vista does not
    >support their chipset, they can find a newer board with a newer chipset
    >that will take all the same parts (CPU and RAM) and will be supported. I
    >just found your response a bit flippant.
    >
    >No, I do not plan on getting Vista, and mostly because of the hardware
    >issue, not my financial issue (I could probably spring for a Vista Upgrade
    >version, but not when you add in all the additional hardware purchases I
    >would also have to make). I only mentioned that being A+ certified, it
    >will limit my ability to work with Vista systems since I have no experience
    >with them or the OS and because of that, I was disappointed.
    >
    >I also mentioned that this is common with most major OS upgrades. A
    >similar situation existed with XP when it came out.
    >
    >Patty
    >A+ 2006
    >Studying for Network+

    I had no idea you had a socket A motherboard. I have been in my own repair business since 2003,
    fixed thousands of computers and I never came across an nforce2 chipset. I personally used Intel or
    Via chipsets when I used to build computers. I am not familiar with every chipset out there, nor do
    I need to be, so that explains why I didnt put 2 and 2 together and realize you had socket A, which
    is long gone. I dont think I can even get socket 939 Athlon or Socket 478 P4 boards.All pretty much
    yesterday's news. Plus, I would never use AMD for anything. Intel blows them away in my opinion and
    all of the video editing stuff I does not support anything on AMD. I only built two or three AMDs
    for others. Otherwise, I always recommend Intel especially the AMD is known to fry in seconds if the
    cpu fan gives out, which is what happens to all of the AMD computers that come into my shop.

    I am surprised you would even want to upgrade to Vista using such an old motherboard. I saw a Dell
    in Walmart for $750 with Vista, Core2 Duo, 2GB DDR2, 160GB SATA, 256MB VGA (may be integrated, not
    sure), DVD-RW and 17" widescreen LCD. You can probably buy that for $600 without the LCD. Dirt
    cheap.

    Tony

    Tony, Aug 9, 2007
  17. teak

    Patty Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 00:51:36 -0400, Barry Watzman wrote:

    > While we would all like everything old to work with Vista, I bought 3
    > ATI video cards on Woot.com for $14.99 each that are 128 meg cards (ATI)
    > that work with Vista and support Aero Glass. Some older hardware really
    > is "old hardware"; the upgrades don't need to cost that much. You don't
    > need a $500 or even a $100 video card to not only run Vista, but run
    > Aero Glass. And if you have a card that doesn't, it's shortcomings are
    > real and exist even in XP, even you don't use any software that cares
    > about it.

    I already have a video card (256MB Nvidia) that is Vista capable and also
    aero glass capable. However, my problem is the chipset on my motherboard.
    I had hoped that more motherboards would be supported, but evidently, that
    is not the case (I purchased my motherboard in April, 2004). In case you
    haven't been reading the thread, it's an Nvidia chipset and Nvidia has
    already stated that they will not write a Vista compatible driver for it
    (Nvidia does not just provide chipsets only for video cards).

    But, in any case, I can't afford to replace it at this point anyhow so the
    issue of Vista, FOR ME, is a moot point.

    But again, if I recall correctly, older hardware was also an issue with XP
    when it came out and, over time, more and more hardware was replaced with
    new that was supported by XP, making XP the mainstream operating system.
    While I do believe, that in time, this will also be the case with Vista, I
    do know people who are still running Windows98 systems. A lot of business
    owners I have talked with are staying with XP because they don't want to
    spend the money to upgrade not only the OS, but the hardware and some
    software as well.

    Patty

    Patty, Aug 11, 2007