The Vista Capable mess: Intel pushes, Microsoft bends

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Craig Shore, Mar 7, 2008.

  1. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    Craig Shore, Mar 7, 2008

  2. Craig Shore

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~, Mar 7, 2008

  3. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 00:39:28 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarweb "Craig Shore" typed:
    >> Not sure if this has been posted / talked about here or not, but when
    >> I followed Lawrence's Shuttle article to the ars technica web site,
    >> I also wound up reading this article which some of you might find
    >> interesting.
    >>
    >> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...ble-debacle-intel-pushes-microsoft-bends.html

    >Thanks for that. Interesting indeed....

    I wonder what Intel had over MS that they would cave like that.
    Craig Shore, Mar 7, 2008
  4. Craig Shore

    impossible Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 00:39:28 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Somewhere on teh intarweb "Craig Shore" typed:
    >>> Not sure if this has been posted / talked about here or not, but when
    >>> I followed Lawrence's Shuttle article to the ars technica web site,
    >>> I also wound up reading this article which some of you might find
    >>> interesting.
    >>>
    >>> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...ble-debacle-intel-pushes-microsoft-bends.html

    >>Thanks for that. Interesting indeed....

    > I wonder what Intel had over MS that they would cave like that.

    A shortage of expensive WVDDM-compliant chipsets? Knowledge that no one else
    had a better solution to offer?
    impossible, Mar 7, 2008
  5. Craig Shore

    peterwn Guest

    On Mar 8, 9:29 am, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message

    > > On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 00:39:28 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > > <> wrote:

    > >>Somewhere on teh intarweb "Craig Shore" typed:

    > >>Thanks for that. Interesting indeed....

    > > I wonder what Intel had over MS that they would cave like that.

    > A shortage of expensive WVDDM-compliant chipsets? Knowledge that no one else
    > had a better solution to offer?

    Which was the vendors' problem (both hardware and software) at the
    time, not the consumers' problem.

    No one really wanted or wants Vista - the whole thing was a vendor
    push at the time to stimulate hardware and software sales. It has
    gone rather badly haywire and has left a whole lot of disgruntled
    purchasers and users in the wake. Is it any wonder that purchasers
    who feel 'short changed' following this fiasco are looking for
    redress?

    Many people wuld just rather that Vista and Office 2007 (with
    its .docx etc formats) would just go away, or even better just never
    happened. Windows XP, Office XP/2003 and computers with P4 processors
    and 250 - 500M memory remain perfectly adequate to get the job done.

    There is also the environment to think of - forcing computers
    prematurely into obsolesence means wasted resources and more scrap
    (with obnoxious substances) to contend with.
    peterwn, Mar 7, 2008
  6. Craig Shore

    impossible Guest

    "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > On Mar 8, 9:29 am, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >> "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message

    >> > I wonder what Intel had over MS that they would cave like that.

    >> A shortage of expensive WVDDM-compliant chipsets? Knowledge that no one
    >> else
    >> had a better solution to offer?

    > Which was the vendors' problem (both hardware and software) at the
    > time, not the consumers' problem.

    Fault, you mean, not "problem". As in -- It was the vendors' fault, not the
    consumers' fault.

    > No one really wanted or wants Vista - the whole thing was a vendor
    > push at the time to stimulate hardware and software sales.

    If no one really wanted Vista, then the push to sell "Vista capable"
    machines would have failed and no consumers would have been harmed in the
    process. However, I'm quite sure the class action is arguing the opposite --
    that consumers very much wanted Vista, with all the benfits advertised, but
    they instead received machines that were never designed to run that
    operating system. Shame on Microsoft, and shame on their oem partners.

    > It has
    > gone rather badly haywire and has left a whole lot of disgruntled
    > purchasers and users in the wake. Is it any wonder that purchasers
    > who feel 'short changed' following this fiasco are looking for
    > redress?

    No, not at all.

    > Many people wuld just rather that Vista and Office 2007 (with
    > its .docx etc formats) would just go away, or even better just never
    > happened.
    >
    > Windows XP, Office XP/2003 and computers with P4 processors
    > and 250 - 500M memory remain perfectly adequate to get the job done.
    >
    > There is also the environment to think of - forcing computers
    > prematurely into obsolesence means wasted resources and more scrap
    > (with obnoxious substances) to contend with.

    If your budget is limited, I can certainly undertstand the desire not to
    upgrade. Suit yourself, because there's certainly plenty of free software
    around. But there's no sense in trying to make a virtue out of necessity.
    The new hardware has become much more energy-efficient -- if you're serious
    about conserevation, you'll lose that P4 hog for starters
    impossible, Mar 9, 2008
  7. Craig Shore

    thingy Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > Not sure if this has been posted / talked about here or not, but when
    > I followed Lawrence's Shuttle article to the ars technica web site,
    > I also wound up reading this article which some of you might find
    > interesting.
    >
    > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...ble-debacle-intel-pushes-microsoft-bends.html

    Good that at least some employees were thinking straight....pity they
    did not carry the day....I wonder if this leaves MS open to a suit from
    HP....such public information means HP are made to look like a bunch of
    dummies in public....if it remained sealed/unknown HP would not have
    lost huge face, this way....ouch

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Mar 9, 2008
  8. Craig Shore

    impossible Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > Craig Shore wrote:
    >> Not sure if this has been posted / talked about here or not, but when
    >> I followed Lawrence's Shuttle article to the ars technica web site,
    >> I also wound up reading this article which some of you might find
    >> interesting.
    >>
    >> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...ble-debacle-intel-pushes-microsoft-bends.html
    >>

    > Good that at least some employees were thinking straight....pity they did
    > not carry the day....I wonder if this leaves MS open to a suit from
    > HP....such public information means HP are made to look like a bunch of
    > dummies in public....if it remained sealed/unknown HP would not have lost
    > huge face, this way....ouch

    Let's not pretend that HP, or any of the other oem vendors, were innocent
    here. They had almost 2 years to voice their objections, and they were at
    all times free to withdraw from this bogus marketing scheme.
    impossible, Mar 9, 2008