The Useless Art of Alphabetizing Bookmarks

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Xanophile, Jan 7, 2005.

  1. Xanophile

    Xanophile Guest

    Is there a reason why this matters? I've seen countless posts about
    this and yet I don't quite understand how alphabetizing your bookmarks
    makes anything more organized. Looking at my own bookmarks, some of
    them start with http.......why would I care if that's alphabetized?

    I'm not so anal as to organize bookmarks as soon as I make them, either,
    though. As a matter of fact, that's a funtionality I wouldn't miss if
    it fell off the face of the earth. That's why I used an extension to
    just add the bookmark and to hell with the dialogue box that asks me
    where I want to put it.

    As a matter of fact, knowing *when* it was added as a bookmark is a lot
    more helpful. Newer bookmarks are at the bottom so those are sites I've
    obviously been to lately.

    Sure, once a year or something I'll get bored and clean them up, adding
    them to folders or deleting the useless ones. But they're still not
    alphabetized. Just put into appropriate folders.

    Why does someone's world come to an end when they can't alphabetize
    their bookmarks? How does this make anything easier to find? If
    nothing else, isn't it a lot more work coming up with something to call
    it that will fit into an alphabetized order *and* be easily remembered?
     
    Xanophile, Jan 7, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Xanophile

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Xanophile wrote:

    > Is there a reason why this matters? I've seen countless posts about
    > this and yet I don't quite understand how alphabetizing your bookmarks
    > makes anything more organized. Looking at my own bookmarks, some of
    > them start with http.......why would I care if that's alphabetized?
    >
    > I'm not so anal as to organize bookmarks as soon as I make them, either,
    > though. As a matter of fact, that's a funtionality I wouldn't miss if
    > it fell off the face of the earth. That's why I used an extension to
    > just add the bookmark and to hell with the dialogue box that asks me
    > where I want to put it.
    >
    > As a matter of fact, knowing *when* it was added as a bookmark is a lot
    > more helpful. Newer bookmarks are at the bottom so those are sites I've
    > obviously been to lately.
    >
    > Sure, once a year or something I'll get bored and clean them up, adding
    > them to folders or deleting the useless ones. But they're still not
    > alphabetized. Just put into appropriate folders.
    >
    > Why does someone's world come to an end when they can't alphabetize
    > their bookmarks? How does this make anything easier to find? If
    > nothing else, isn't it a lot more work coming up with something to call
    > it that will fit into an alphabetized order *and* be easily remembered?


    Everybody's got a different way that pleases them. Not sure why you
    feel the need to condemn/criticize/rant (in alphabetical order) over that.

    Alphabetizing works wonderfully for me and I like organizing bookmarks
    by folders, sub-folders, and then alpha-sorted. The vast majority of
    sites I bookmark have a Title tag and that's what the bookmark uses for
    it's name. No problem for me to rename the occasional bookmark if the
    URL isn't explanatory enough.

    Obviously we have different preferences. I can't imagine doing it your
    way! But, hey, the program allows us both to do what we want. Nice, huh?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/moz.html
    Confidence is the feeling you have before you really understand the problem.
     
    Ed Mullen, Jan 7, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Xanophile

    Xanophile Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Xanophile wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a reason why this matters? I've seen countless posts about
    >> this and yet I don't quite understand how alphabetizing your bookmarks
    >> makes anything more organized. Looking at my own bookmarks, some of
    >> them start with http.......why would I care if that's alphabetized?
    >>
    >> I'm not so anal as to organize bookmarks as soon as I make them,
    >> either, though. As a matter of fact, that's a funtionality I wouldn't
    >> miss if it fell off the face of the earth. That's why I used an
    >> extension to just add the bookmark and to hell with the dialogue box
    >> that asks me where I want to put it.
    >>
    >> As a matter of fact, knowing *when* it was added as a bookmark is a
    >> lot more helpful. Newer bookmarks are at the bottom so those are
    >> sites I've obviously been to lately.
    >>
    >> Sure, once a year or something I'll get bored and clean them up,
    >> adding them to folders or deleting the useless ones. But they're
    >> still not alphabetized. Just put into appropriate folders.
    >>
    >> Why does someone's world come to an end when they can't alphabetize
    >> their bookmarks? How does this make anything easier to find? If
    >> nothing else, isn't it a lot more work coming up with something to
    >> call it that will fit into an alphabetized order *and* be easily
    >> remembered?

    >
    >
    > Everybody's got a different way that pleases them. Not sure why you
    > feel the need to condemn/criticize/rant (in alphabetical order) over that.
    >
    > Alphabetizing works wonderfully for me and I like organizing bookmarks
    > by folders, sub-folders, and then alpha-sorted. The vast majority of
    > sites I bookmark have a Title tag and that's what the bookmark uses for
    > it's name. No problem for me to rename the occasional bookmark if the
    > URL isn't explanatory enough.
    >
    > Obviously we have different preferences. I can't imagine doing it your
    > way! But, hey, the program allows us both to do what we want. Nice, huh?
    >


    True.........I just can't imagine why, is all. I see these posts and
    wonder what the big deal is. I just find it hard to believe someone is
    working so hard to keep their bookmarks in order.
     
    Xanophile, Jan 7, 2005
    #3
  4. Xanophile

    KeithS Guest

    Xanophile wrote:



    > I just find it hard to believe someone is
    > working so hard to keep their bookmarks in order.


    Because *they* find it easier to locate *their* bookmarks that way.
    Some people collect (to my view) oddball things, but if *they* want to,
    it's *their* pleasure

    KeithS
     
    KeithS, Jan 7, 2005
    #4
  5. Xanophile

    Xanophile Guest

    That's all fine and good, but if that is what they want to do with their
    time then you'd think that they'd have more fun taking the long way to
    do it by hand through the bookmark manager. At least that way they get
    a full fix of their alphabetizing habit.

    KeithS wrote:

    > Xanophile wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >> I just find it hard to believe someone is working so hard to keep
    >> their bookmarks in order.

    >
    >
    > Because *they* find it easier to locate *their* bookmarks that way.
    > Some people collect (to my view) oddball things, but if *they* want to,
    > it's *their* pleasure
    >
    > KeithS
     
    Xanophile, Jan 7, 2005
    #5
  6. Xanophile

    grasshopper Guest


    > Alphabetizing works wonderfully for me and I like organizing bookmarks
    > by folders, sub-folders, and then alpha-sorted.


    Ditto.....
    Hi, this whole deal about keeping some sort of order is exactly what i want.
    i've been using mozilla for around 6months and i'm damned if i can figure
    out how to move a newly created folder to Exactly where I Want it.
    Cant figure out how to make the Seperators go where I want either.
    Evertime i make one, it ends up down the bottom.........

    Help......!!!!
    gh
     
    grasshopper, Jan 8, 2005
    #6
  7. Xanophile

    joy beeson Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:38:43 GMT, Xanophile
    <> wrote:


    > That's all fine and good, but if that is what they want to do with their
    > time then you'd think that they'd have more fun taking the long way to
    > do it by hand through the bookmark manager. At least that way they get
    > a full fix of their alphabetizing habit.


    Hey, you mean I can organize the fifty mail-order fabric
    sites on my bookmark list *without* doing it by hand?

    I'm going to have to spend a little time reading the help
    file.

    Thanks, Xenophobe, for helping my alphabetize my bookmarks!

    --
    Joy Beeson
    joy beeson at earthlink dot net
     
    joy beeson, Jan 8, 2005
    #7
  8. Xanophile

    KeithS Guest

    grasshopper wrote:

    > Cant figure out how to make the Seperators go where I want either.
    > Evertime i make one, it ends up down the bottom.........
    >
    > Help......!!!!


    Bookmarks/Bookmark Manager...drag & drop things wherever you want.

    HTH
    KeithS
     
    KeithS, Jan 8, 2005
    #8
  9. Xanophile

    Ed Mullen Guest

    KeithS wrote:

    > grasshopper wrote:
    >
    >> Cant figure out how to make the Seperators go where I want either.
    >> Evertime i make one, it ends up down the bottom.........
    >>
    >> Help......!!!!

    >
    >
    > Bookmarks/Bookmark Manager...drag & drop things wherever you want.
    >
    > HTH
    > KeithS


    You can also drag and drop in the Bookmarks sidebar. And some other
    stuff ... http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_book_org.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/moz.html
    Optirectumitis - where the optic nerve gets crossed with the rectal
    nerve resulting in a crappy outlook on life.
     
    Ed Mullen, Jan 9, 2005
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. arcade
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    458
    arcade
    Nov 30, 2006
  2. arcade
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    660
    Paul Heslop
    Nov 30, 2006
  3. Andrew Mowat
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    636
    Andrew Mowat
    Sep 14, 2004
  4. Martin

    Alphabetizing Word doc by last name first

    Martin, Dec 7, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    1,573
  5. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    422
Loading...

Share This Page