    to solve the problem long enough. But how? Where the bearing needed
    grease was a tight squeeze for any one's hand to get in and do it.
    Except for the hand the size of a 10 year old.

    richard, Jul 20, 2009

  2. richard

    Guest

    richard <> wrote:

    >http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/07/20/apollo11.irpt/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

    >In Guam, the main tracking station before the splashdown, the main
    >antenna fails. It was decided that perhaps more grease would be enough
    >to solve the problem long enough. But how? Where the bearing needed
    >grease was a tight squeeze for any one's hand to get in and do it.
    >Except for the hand the size of a 10 year old.

    In Guam you can buy a 10 year old boy for a few bucks.

    The real Unsung hero of the Apollo 11 mission was Steve Bales, (with
    help from Jack Garman, a real unknown)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bales

    "The last few minutes of the landing were punctuated by program alarms
    from the guidance computer. These alarms signalled an "executive
    overflow" which meant the computer might not be keeping up with its
    computing tasks. Bales had to very quickly determine whether or not
    this was serious. If high-priority computing tasks were indeed not
    being completed, as guidance officer he would have to call for an
    abort of the lunar landing. After several seconds had passed he
    informed flight director Gene Kranz that the landing could continue
    despite the alarms."

    "When President Richard Nixon awarded the Presidential Medal of
    Freedom to the three Apollo 11 astronauts, Steve Bales was also
    honored by being chosen to accept a NASA Group Achievement Award on
    behalf of the entire mission operations team. Nixon said at the time,
    "This is the young man, when the computers seemed to be confused and
    when he could have said Stop, or when he could have said Wait, said,
    Go."

    You might remember the computer overflow alarms were being set off by
    the ground radar, Jack Garman understood this and gave Steve Bales the
    nod - and a landing.

    I've always known of Steve Bales part in the landing, just not his
    name, made it heck to google, yet this is the first time I heard of
    Jack Garman.
    --

    http://www.stambaughfamily.com/bitterroot.html

    , Jul 21, 2009