  1. frankg

    frankg Guest

    which digital p & s produces the finest & highest quality files ?
    frankg, Dec 11, 2004

  2. "frankg" <> wrote in message
    news:pwKud.56965$...
    > which digital p & s produces the finest & highest quality files ?

    Why do you ask? Probably, nobody knows. If you are serious, check the MANY
    reviews. You can start at www.dpreview.com
    Charles Schuler, Dec 11, 2004

  3. frankg

    bob Guest

    "frankg" <> wrote in news:pwKud.56965$dC3.1560866
    @news20.bellglobal.com:

    > which digital p & s produces the finest & highest quality files ?

    I'm sure it depends on how you measure. If compare the single best photo
    (based on the lens sweet spot) from each camera you will get a different
    answer than if you take an average of the two extreem telephoto and wide
    angle shots.

    I recently took some photos of a school concert. The fact that I could
    mount a flash with a GN of 120 on my camera meant I got pictures at all. A
    camera without a hot shoe wouldn't have worked at all.

    So I guess you need to define the specific shooting situation first, and
    then ask what camera could get the best quality in that particular
    circumstance.

    Bob

    --
    Delete the inverse SPAM to reply
    bob, Dec 11, 2004
  4. frankg

    Mike Henley Guest

    Mike Henley, Dec 11, 2004
  5. frankg

    Mike Henley Guest

    Mike Henley, Dec 11, 2004
  6. frankg

    Pepys Guest

    "frankg" <> wrote in message
    > which digital p & s produces the finest & highest quality files ?

    I have been extremely happy with the results I continuously get from a Canon
    Powershot Pro1.

    I have used the Sony 828, the Olympus 8080 and the Nikon 8700, and compared
    with them the Pro1 give me consistently brilliant results, particularly when
    shooting RAW.

    You have to forget about automatic everything settings if you want to get
    the best from this camera.

    Hope that helps

    Sam
    Pepys, Dec 11, 2004
  7. "Mike Henley" <> wrote in message
    > Ha ha ha.
    > Thanks for the www.dpreview.com obligatory-redundant-reply.

    He he he. Thanks for the typical critical comment!
    Charles Schuler, Dec 12, 2004
  8. frankg

    frankg Guest

    Good answer - mostly I would use it for available (low) light shooting -
    portraits near a window etc.. So lens speed is important. Occasionally a
    landscape/urbanscape, and even the odd still life or c/u of an element in
    nature. I am looking for something to substitute when I dont want to carry
    my camera and all my prime lenses....a sort of pro snapshot camera. When I
    do
    get a good shot I dont want to have to curse the inferior quality and
    therefore uselessness of the image. In film terms the Konica Hexar served
    this purpose..a leica-like sharp, fast lens of stunning quality in a small,
    well built body
    ======================:

    frankg, Dec 12, 2004
  9. frankg

    BigMike631 Guest

    I would look at the canon g6 and the new lumix

    BigMike631, Dec 12, 2004
  10. frankg

    Marli Guest

    There is not P&S camera that produce high quality files. They are all
    noisy..

    Marli, Dec 12, 2004
  11. Marli wrote:
    > There is not P&S camera that produce high quality files. They are all
    > noisy..

    No - they all require more light than a DSLR for the same noise level.
    Many P&S cameras are capable of excellent results when used appropriately.
    Perhaps the best quality JPEG files would be from the newest Nikons - 8400
    wide-angle and 8800 telephoto.

    But you really need to define what you are photographing and how you
    intend to display the results - if you're only looking on a computer
    screen or for Web display the requirements would be vastly different to 30
    x 40 inch blow-ups intended for close scrutiny!

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Dec 12, 2004
  12. frankg

    Ron Hunter Guest

    frankg wrote:
    > Good answer - mostly I would use it for available (low) light shooting -
    > portraits near a window etc.. So lens speed is important. Occasionally a
    > landscape/urbanscape, and even the odd still life or c/u of an element in
    > nature. I am looking for something to substitute when I dont want to carry
    > my camera and all my prime lenses....a sort of pro snapshot camera. When I
    > do
    > get a good shot I dont want to have to curse the inferior quality and
    > therefore uselessness of the image. In film terms the Konica Hexar served
    > this purpose..a leica-like sharp, fast lens of stunning quality in a small,
    > well built body
    > ======================:

    Difficult question, really. All cameras are a collection of
    compromises. In order to meet certain marketing points, camera
    manufacturers have to balance lens quality, features, controls, zoom
    ranges, size, shape, LCD size, sensor size, and manufacturing costs to
    come up with a marketable camera. Hardly an easy task. Kodak tries to
    put a good lens on the camera, and balance the other features to achieve
    the price point. I, personally, feel they do a good job of producing a
    camera with good color, ease of use, and sharp images. However, I agree
    with those who criticize Kodak for overagressive compression. Given the
    sharp drop in cost of flash media, I believe they should back off the
    compression by a factor of 4 at least. Otherwise, I find their products
    give excellent pictures for the price.

    I use Kodak as an example because my experience is with Kodak.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Dec 12, 2004
  13. frankg

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Marli wrote:
    > There is not P&S camera that produce high quality files. They are all
    > noisy..
    >

    > "frankg" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>which digital p & s produces the finest & highest quality files ?

    Generalization, and as useless as any. Granted a good DSLR will usually
    have lower noise than a P&S, but this is not always true in all
    conditions, and has to do with price.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Dec 12, 2004
  14. frankg

    Guest

    BigMike631 wrote:
    > I would look at the canon g6 and the new lumix

    I bought my wife a Canon G6 and I can tell that it takes excellent
    pictures. It has a fast lens at f2-3 and produces very sharp images.
    The lens is a little limited in focal lenght being 35-140mm. I have a
    Canon 10D so the G6 uses the same battery and memory cards which was a
    plus for us.

    The people in this thread that said a P&S won't take good pictures are
    incorrect. The Canon G6 takes just as good of pictures as my 10D with
    Canon L glass. It just is limited in what it can do and does have more
    noise limiting the useable ISO to 100. The built in flash is also
    limiting and an external flash like my 500 EX looks like a flash with a
    small camera attached.

    There are times when hers is just plain easier to use and to take into
    certain situations. The 10D with a 24-70mm f2.8 is just plain
    intimidating to some people and is heavy to carry around for really
    long periods.

    Art

    > Pepys wrote:
    > > "frankg" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>which digital p & s produces the finest & highest quality files ?
    > >>

    > > I have been extremely happy with the results I continuously get

    from a Canon
    > > Powershot Pro1.
    > >
    > > I have used the Sony 828, the Olympus 8080 and the Nikon 8700, and

    compared
    > > with them the Pro1 give me consistently brilliant results,

    particularly when
    > > shooting RAW.
    > >
    > > You have to forget about automatic everything settings if you want

    to get
    > > the best from this camera.
    > >
    > > Hope that helps
    > >
    > > Sam

    , Dec 12, 2004
  15. I would include the Sony V3 in your short list. It compares favorably with the
    Canon G6 as a top P&S camera (both use the same CCD). The V3 doesn't have as
    fast a lens as the G6, but it's AF is better all around. Image quality seems
    comparable - from what I've read.
    John P. McCormack, Dec 12, 2004
  16. frankg

    bob Guest

    "frankg" <> wrote in news:0RNud.58045$dC3.1598987
    @news20.bellglobal.com:

    > Good answer - mostly I would use it for available (low) light shooting -
    > portraits near a window etc.. So lens speed is important. Occasionally a

    For low light, I think lens speed is going to end up being most important.
    It seems like most of the nicer modern digital cameras have decent sensors
    and decent lenses. It sounds like that Panasonic with the fast sharp lens
    might be something for you to look at.

    Bob

    --
    Delete the inverse SPAM to reply
    bob, Dec 12, 2004
  17. "frankg" <> wrote in message
    > which digital p & s produces the finest & highest quality files ?

    No such animal. And if there was such an animal, it would be very short
    lived. However, this camera intrigues me and I am thinking of getting one:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons1is/
    Charles Schuler, Dec 18, 2004
  18. frankg

    Guy Jordan Guest

    Consider the Cosina RD-1 Looks good and hits the right points except
    price. Lens choice is up to you, but the performance looks very good.

    http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/epson-rd1.shtml

    -Guy

    Guy Jordan, Dec 20, 2004
  19. >which digital p & s produces the finest & highest quality files ?

    If you're looking for a P&S digital camera, I suggest that you start
    by asking if you'll be using the camera with or without a flash. With
    a built-in flash, I've yet to see a good P&S. Without a flash, there
    are dozens of good cameras to choose from. I love the Canon series,
    because of the manual control, but surely you'll get as many opinions
    as you do answers....

    -Joel

    Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases: http://www.exc.com/photography
    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Feb 10, 2005