The ultimate Computer accessory

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Max, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Max

    Max Guest

    Max, Mar 2, 2004

  2. Max

    EAgle Guest

    EAgle, Mar 2, 2004

  3. Max

    Acetyldehyde Guest

    Hmmm...
    qutoe: 'Power from Mac keyboard may not be enough to generate heat.'
    Note the sample image. Appears to be plugged into a keyborad.

    Also 1/10 for clicking the image for a larger view.

    Acetyldehyde, Mar 2, 2004
  4. Kristofer Clayton, Mar 2, 2004
  5. Max

    Nigel Guest

    Nigel, Mar 2, 2004
  6. Nigel wrote:
    >> Just plugs into your USB port
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=117196

    > I wonder how they get away without needing any driver installation <Grin>.
    > A fridge would be cooler.

    You can also get george foreman lean mean fat reducing grilling machines
    that are powered by USB... now thats kinda cool.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Mar 2, 2004
  7. Max

    Mark Guest

    Nigel wrote:
    > Max wrote:
    >
    >> Just plugs into your USB port
    >>
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=117196
    >>

    > I wonder how they get away without needing any driver installation <Grin>.
    >
    > A fridge would be cooler.
    >
    > Nigel

    A guy here at work purchased a travel fridge from Dick Smith. He has
    plugged it into his computer and has it sitting on his desk.
    Cold drinks all day long!!!

    :)

    Mark, Mar 2, 2004
  8. Max

    Nigel Guest

    Mark wrote:

    <snip>

    > A guy here at work purchased a travel fridge from Dick Smith. He has
    > plugged it into his computer and has it sitting on his desk.
    > Cold drinks all day long!!!

    I like that idea, I like it alot, mmmm, where is my credit card <grin>

    Nigel

    Nigel, Mar 2, 2004
  9. Nigel wrote:
    >> A guy here at work purchased a travel fridge from Dick Smith. He has
    >> plugged it into his computer and has it sitting on his desk.
    >> Cold drinks all day long!!!

    > I like that idea, I like it alot, mmmm, where is my credit card <grin>

    Kmart also have similar fridges... it holds about a dozen and runs from
    a cig lighter... or alternative 12V source :)

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Mar 2, 2004
  10. Max

    Nigel Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Nigel wrote:
    >
    >>> A guy here at work purchased a travel fridge from Dick Smith. He has
    >>> plugged it into his computer and has it sitting on his desk.
    >>> Cold drinks all day long!!!

    >> I like that idea, I like it alot, mmmm, where is my credit card <grin>

    > Kmart also have similar fridges... it holds about a dozen and runs from
    > a cig lighter... or alternative 12V source :)

    How does the power supply in the computer mind feeding another 12v to
    this ?.

    Nigel

    Nigel, Mar 2, 2004
  11. Nigel wrote:
    >> Kmart also have similar fridges... it holds about a dozen and runs
    >> from a cig lighter... or alternative 12V source :)

    > How does the power supply in the computer mind feeding another 12v to
    > this ?.

    From what I have seen they work fine... as for what it does, or how
    much it drains... read the manual at a guess.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Mar 3, 2004
  12. Max

    Mark Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Nigel wrote:
    >
    >>> Kmart also have similar fridges... it holds about a dozen and runs
    >>> from a cig lighter... or alternative 12V source :)

    >> How does the power supply in the computer mind feeding another 12v to
    >> this ?.

    > From what I have seen they work fine... as for what it does, or how
    > much it drains... read the manual at a guess.

    The Dick Smith one works fine and has been going on a standard desktop
    workstation for the last few weeks no problem.
    There is also a larger one around here (warehouse I think). Goes fine too.

    Mark, Mar 3, 2004
  13. Max

    IRO Guest

    In article <_Wc1c.30103$>,
    "Acetyldehyde" <> wrote:

    > "Max" <> wrote in message
    > > Just plugs into your USB port
    > >
    > > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=117196

    > Hmmm...
    > qutoe: 'Power from Mac keyboard may not be enough to generate heat.'
    > Note the sample image. Appears to be plugged into a keyborad.

    I got one of the insulated mugs that have a removable base (Kathmandu,
    Mainland, etc) wound up a big roll of aluminium foil and slid it into
    the cavity between the inner and outer layers. It keeps hot drinks hot
    (tea is still drinkable after an hour) and cold drinks cold and it's
    cordless. No power requirements at all.

    Pays to remove the foil layer if you want to give it a quick nuke in the
    microwave, though.

    ------
    ~IRO
    Why MacOSX? Because it was easier to make the dreaded
    Unix user-friendly than to try to fix Windows.

    IRO, Mar 4, 2004
  14. "IRO" <> wrote in message
    > In article <_Wc1c.30103$>,
    > "Acetyldehyde" <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Max" <> wrote in message
    > > > Just plugs into your USB port
    > > >
    > > > http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=117196

    > > Hmmm...
    > > qutoe: 'Power from Mac keyboard may not be enough to generate heat.'
    > > Note the sample image. Appears to be plugged into a keyborad.

    > I got one of the insulated mugs that have a removable base (Kathmandu,
    > Mainland, etc) wound up a big roll of aluminium foil and slid it into
    > the cavity between the inner and outer layers. It keeps hot drinks hot
    > (tea is still drinkable after an hour) and cold drinks cold and it's
    > cordless. No power requirements at all.
    >
    > Pays to remove the foil layer if you want to give it a quick nuke in the
    > microwave, though.
    >
    > ------
    > ~IRO
    > Why MacOSX? Because it was easier to make the dreaded
    > Unix user-friendly than to try to fix Windows.

    I'm fairly sure aluminium conducts heat faster than air so your cup will
    actually cool down faster
    :)

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Mar 4, 2004
  15. Max

    Brian Tozer Guest

    "Russell Smithies" wrote

    > I'm fairly sure aluminium conducts heat faster than air so your cup will
    > actually cool down faster

    Convection, conduction, radiation, remember.........

    Brian Tozer

    Brian Tozer, Mar 4, 2004
  16. "Brian Tozer" <> wrote in message
    > "Russell Smithies" wrote
    >
    > > I'm fairly sure aluminium conducts heat faster than air so your cup will
    > > actually cool down faster

    > Convection, conduction, radiation, remember.........
    >
    > Brian Tozer

    I remember but an air gap is still a better insulator that some aluminium
    foil.
    You going to try and prove otherwise?

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Mar 4, 2004
  17. Max

    Jason M Guest

    On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 19:27:46 +1300, "Russell Smithies"
    <> wrote:

    >"Brian Tozer" <> wrote in message
    >> "Russell Smithies" wrote
    >>
    >> > I'm fairly sure aluminium conducts heat faster than air so your cup will
    >> > actually cool down faster

    >> Convection, conduction, radiation, remember.........
    >>
    >> Brian Tozer
    >>

    >I remember but an air gap is still a better insulator that some aluminium
    >foil.
    >You going to try and prove otherwise?

    A simple test with two cups and a thermometer will show which holds
    the heat better.
    I'm betting on the one with the foil in it.

    Jason M, Mar 4, 2004
  18. Max

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:27:46 +1300, Russell Smithies wrote:

    > "Brian Tozer" <> wrote in message
    >> "Russell Smithies" wrote
    >>
    >> > I'm fairly sure aluminium conducts heat faster than air so your cup
    >> > will actually cool down faster

    >> Convection, conduction, radiation, remember.........

    > I remember but an air gap is still a better insulator that some
    > aluminium foil.
    > You going to try and prove otherwise?

    The padding is already taking care of the conduction. Yes an air gap is
    better than foil for stopping conduction.

    But there is still radiation (eg IR) - the foil will be helping out for
    that bit. There's a bloody great air gap between us and the sun, but it
    still heats us up :)

    I presume convection is solved by using the other stuff for a lid.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Mar 4, 2004
  19. ------------snip-----------------
    > But there is still radiation (eg IR) - the foil will be helping out for
    > that bit. There's a bloody great air gap between us and the sun, but it
    > still heats us up :)
    >
    > I presume convection is solved by using the other stuff for a lid.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    Quick, call NASA!!!!!!
    There's an "air-gap" between us and the Sun !!!

    What Weetbix box did you get that information from?

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Mar 4, 2004
  20. Max

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 11:16:39 +1300, Russell Smithies wrote:

    > ------------snip-----------------
    >> But there is still radiation (eg IR) - the foil will be helping out for
    >> that bit. There's a bloody great air gap between us and the sun, but it
    >> still heats us up :)
    >>
    >> I presume convection is solved by using the other stuff for a lid.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Anton

    > Quick, call NASA!!!!!!
    > There's an "air-gap" between us and the Sun !!!
    >
    > What Weetbix box did you get that information from?

    OK I should've put quotes around air gap for the pedantic/literal in the
    audience - of course I know there's no air there, I was using your words
    to emphasise the gap. I was using "air gap" as the principle not a
    description of the material in the gap. To be pedantic - does an air gap
    have to use air? Would other gases still insulate?

    But a vacuum is the perfect "air gap" (yes, there is no air), but
    the sun still manages to heat us.

    As for foil not insulating, how do you think those survival blankets work?

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Mar 5, 2004