    The U.S is region 2 only and Europe is region 1 only.

    Those are the official regions assigned to the U.S. and Europe.

    , Mar 17, 2005

  2. <> wrote:

    > The answer to which region is the U.S. is
    >
    > The U.S is region 2 only and Europe is region 1 only.
    >
    > Those are the official regions assigned to the U.S. and Europe.

    WOW!

    I'm gobsmacked! Who knew...???

    --
    Best
    Greg

    Gregory Morrow, Mar 17, 2005

  3. Jay Stewart Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > The answer to which region is the U.S. is
    >
    > The U.S is region 2 only and Europe is region 1 only.
    >
    > Those are the official regions assigned to the U.S. and Europe.

    Stop the presses!

    Jay Stewart, Mar 17, 2005
  4. Brenda Ann Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > The answer to which region is the U.S. is
    >
    > The U.S is region 2 only and Europe is region 1 only.
    >
    > Those are the official regions assigned to the U.S. and Europe.

    If you're talking about DVD region coding, you're in error:

    http://hometheaterinfo.com/dvd3.htm

    Region Countries

    0 No Region Coding
    1 United States of America, Canada
    2 Europe, including France, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Arabia, Japan and South
    Africa
    3 Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, Borneo and Indonesia
    4 Australia and New Zealand, Mexico, the Caribbean, and South America
    5 India, Africa, Russia and former USSR countries
    6 Peoples Republic of China
    7 Unused
    8 Airlines/Cruise Ships
    9 Expansion (often used as region free)

    Brenda Ann, Mar 17, 2005
  5. Invader3K Guest

    I believe they're talking about regions assigned by the International
    Telecommunications Union for the purposes of amateur radio.

    Invader3K, Mar 17, 2005
  6. Ed Kim Guest

    wrote:
    > The answer to which region is the U.S. is
    >
    > The U.S is region 2 only and Europe is region 1 only.
    >
    > Those are the official regions assigned to the U.S. and Europe.

    are these special WebTV regions?

    -goro-

    Ed Kim, Mar 17, 2005
  7. Justin Guest

    Ed Kim wrote on [17 Mar 2005 06:24:40 -0800]:

    > wrote:
    >> The answer to which region is the U.S. is
    >>
    >> The U.S is region 2 only and Europe is region 1 only.
    >>
    >> Those are the official regions assigned to the U.S. and Europe.

    > are these special WebTV regions?

    Can he be removed from all regions, please?

    Justin, Mar 17, 2005
  8. Stan Brown Guest

    Stan Brown, Mar 17, 2005
  9. Stan Brown Guest

    "Brenda Ann" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    ><> wrote in message
    >>
    >> The answer to which region is the U.S. is
    >>
    >> The U.S is region 2 only and Europe is region 1 only.
    >>
    >> Those are the official regions assigned to the U.S. and Europe.
    >>

    >If you're talking about DVD region coding, you're in error:
    >
    >http://hometheaterinfo.com/dvd3.htm

    When dvdguy talks about _anything_ he's in error.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Mar 17, 2005
  10. Nonymous Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > The answer to which region is the U.S. is
    >
    > The U.S is region 2 only and Europe is region 1 only.
    >
    > Those are the official regions assigned to the U.S. and Europe.

    Aww, you learned how to use google! How cute!!!

    Nonymous, Mar 18, 2005
  11. Richard C. Guest

    --

    <> wrote in message

    > The answer to which region is the U.S. is
    >
    > The U.S is region 2 only and Europe is region 1 only.
    >
    > Those are the official regions assigned to the U.S. and Europe.

    =================================
    Only they are not.

    Richard C., Mar 19, 2005
  12. Mark Spatny Guest

    Invader3K, says...
    > I believe they're talking about regions assigned by the International
    > Telecommunications Union for the purposes of amateur radio.

    It's dweebs like dvdguy that drove me to toss my old ham radio in the
    back of the garage, never to see the light of day again.

    Mark Spatny, Mar 20, 2005
  13. Jeff Rife Guest

    Brenda Ann () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > http://hometheaterinfo.com/dvd3.htm
    >
    > Region Countries
    >
    > 0 No Region Coding
    > 1 United States of America, Canada
    > 2 Europe, including France, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Arabia, Japan and South
    > Africa
    > 3 Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, Borneo and Indonesia
    > 4 Australia and New Zealand, Mexico, the Caribbean, and South America
    > 5 India, Africa, Russia and former USSR countries
    > 6 Peoples Republic of China
    > 7 Unused
    > 8 Airlines/Cruise Ships
    > 9 Expansion (often used as region free)

    I'm late to this thread, but this is still wrong.

    DVD region is stored as an 8-bit bitmask on the disk. If a bit is set,
    then that region is enabled. Thus, there is no "region 0" nor can there
    be a "region 9" for expansion.

    An "all region" disk (which is often called either "region 0" or "region
    free") is just one with all bits set. But, even those don't exist on
    commercial releases because the DVD Consortium rules don't allow bit 8
    (cruise ships) and any other bit to be set. Many Criterion disks followed
    this standard, and had bits 1-6 set, which effectively made them "all
    region" for most users.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "I've never understood the female capacity to

    Jeff Rife, Apr 2, 2005