The Two Towers Sets New Record

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Black Locust, Sep 10, 2003.

  1. Black Locust

    Black Locust Guest

    Credit: http://www.imdb.com/StudioBrief/#1

    9th September 2003

    Towers DVD Sets Rental Record
    The Two Towers sequel to the original Lord of the Rings set a new record
    in first-week rental revenue as it took in $22.9 million last week,
    Video Store magazine reported Monday, citing data from Nielsen
    VideoScan's First Alert. By contrast, the original Fellowship of the
    Ring video generated an estimated $17.22 million from rentals in its
    first week. The trade publication also noted brisk sales of the video,
    with 95 percent of consumers preferring disc over videocassette.

    Also, why in the blue hell did New Line even bother to release this film
    on VHShit or at least price it for sell-through? A pathetic 5% of sales
    doesn't seem worth the effort. They probably spent more money on
    manufacturing and shipping costs than they made on sales. Hopefully New
    Line won't make this same mistake on Return of the King.
    --
    BL
    Black Locust, Sep 10, 2003

  2. Black Locust

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Black
    Locust <> wrote:

    > Credit: http://www.imdb.com/StudioBrief/#1
    >
    > 9th September 2003
    >
    > Towers DVD Sets Rental Record
    > The Two Towers sequel to the original Lord of the Rings set a new record
    > in first-week rental revenue as it took in $22.9 million last week,
    > Video Store magazine reported Monday, citing data from Nielsen
    > VideoScan's First Alert. By contrast, the original Fellowship of the
    > Ring video generated an estimated $17.22 million from rentals in its
    > first week. The trade publication also noted brisk sales of the video,
    > with 95 percent of consumers preferring disc over videocassette.
    >

    > Also, why in the blue hell did New Line even bother to release this film
    > on VHShit or at least price it for sell-through? A pathetic 5% of sales
    > doesn't seem worth the effort.

    5% of $22.9 million is about $1.15 million. Nothing to sneeze at, and
    if most of those went to rental stores that haven't fully converted to
    dvd yet that's money they wouldn't have seen otherwise. Plus every
    rental may bring in a future customer for the third film, the toys,
    etc.

    > They probably spent more money on
    > manufacturing and shipping costs than they made on sales. Hopefully New
    > Line won't make this same mistake on Return of the King.

    It's their money, let them spend (and make) it their way. Who cares if
    they do a VHS version? Hell, let them put it out on film strip or
    viewmaster for all I care.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Sep 10, 2003

  3. "Invid Fan" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Black

    > viewmaster for all I care.

    Viewmaster would be pretty good. I'm into stereo photography.

    Steve
    Steve Knoblock, Sep 10, 2003
  4. Black Locust

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <100920030118525952%>,
    Invid Fan <> wrote:

    > 5% of $22.9 million is about $1.15 million.

    Well, I believe the $22.9 mill was strictly rental numbers. I don't know
    what the numbers for sales are, but it's likely quite a bit more than
    that.

    > Nothing to sneeze at, and
    > if most of those went to rental stores that haven't fully converted to
    > dvd yet that's money they wouldn't have seen otherwise. Plus every
    > rental may bring in a future customer for the third film, the toys,
    > etc.

    I'm assuming the 5% was from consumer purchases, not retailer purchases.
    While outlets like Best Buy and Circuit City don't even stock the VHS
    version, it was still priced for sell-through and I have seen it in
    places like grocery stores where a lot of Joe VCR's frequent. So someone
    is probably buying it.

    > It's their money, let them spend (and make) it their way. Who cares if
    > they do a VHS version? Hell, let them put it out on film strip or
    > viewmaster for all I care.

    That's true. Still though, I wonder why the studios continue to support
    what's left of the VHS market when it's clearly so small and
    insignificant now that the studios make almost zilch back from it. Even
    VHShit rentals bring in hardly any $$$ now. The studios could easily
    kill off VHS once and for all by simply pulling the plug on the format
    completely. The DVD market is so huge now that it would hardly make a
    dent. It would be no different then when record labels stopped putting
    out new albums on cassette tapes. Sure, the idiot Joe VCR's stuck in
    1985 will bitch and complain, probably writing idiotic and pointless
    letters to the studios in protest for no longer being able to rent their
    "videas" from "BwockBwuster", but force them to go a couple months
    without even being able to rent(or buy) all the "hot" new releases like
    The Core and Bulletproof Monk and believe me, they'll be in line at
    Walmart with an Apex DVD player in hand faster than you can say
    "Universal and their previews sucks." You've just gotta push these
    pathetic pan & scan lovin' idiots a little.
    --
    BL
    Black Locust, Sep 12, 2003