The Truth is Out There (or is it?)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul Bartram, Oct 21, 2004.

  1. Paul Bartram

    Paul Bartram Guest

    A bit of a 'hypothetical' that a few friends and I were discussing
    recently...

    You go for a walk in the woods with your digital camera in your backpack.
    Suddenly a flying saucer appears overhead - you immediately grab your camera
    and fire off a dozen shots before the UFO disappears. When you get home you
    connect the card to your computer and find all the shots are perfect! At
    last - evidence that aliens are real.

    Now you are Agent Mulder. Your job is to prove beyond doubt that the
    pictures are genuine. In the days of film that would be relatively easy, but
    with digital, assuming the images are still on the card, is it possible to
    say definitely that what is there is what was captured by the lens, with no
    possibility that the image has been edited? For the sake of the exercise,
    let's overlook the possibility of the UFO itself being faked, as happened
    regularly with film.

    What do you think?

    Paul
    Paul Bartram, Oct 21, 2004

  2. "Paul Bartram" <p.bartram AT OR NEAR optusnet.com> wrote in

    > A bit of a 'hypothetical' that a few friends and I were discussing
    > recently...
    >
    > You go for a walk in the woods with your digital camera in your
    > backpack. Suddenly a flying saucer appears overhead - you immediately

    <snip>
    > Now you are Agent Mulder. Your job is to prove beyond doubt that the
    > pictures are genuine. In the days of film that would be relatively

    <snip>

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0401/04012903canondvke2.asp

    Quote:
    : Pre-PMA 2004: Canon today announced the latest version of its Data
    : Verification Kit, the DVK-E2 kit is designed to deliver validation of an
    : unmodified original image from a single camera body.

    On the other hand, "proving beyond doubt" that ufo's exists is like trying
    to staple marmelade to the ceiling. There will always be conspiracy buffs
    trying to "take you down".

    --
    Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen
    http://www.vkarlsen.no/
    Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen, Oct 21, 2004

  3. Paul Bartram wrote:
    > A bit of a 'hypothetical' that a few friends and I were discussing
    > recently...
    >
    > You go for a walk in the woods with your digital camera in your backpack.
    > Suddenly a flying saucer appears overhead - you immediately grab your
    > camera
    > and fire off a dozen shots before the UFO disappears. When you get home
    > you
    > connect the card to your computer and find all the shots are perfect! At
    > last - evidence that aliens are real.
    >
    > Now you are Agent Mulder. Your job is to prove beyond doubt that the
    > pictures are genuine. In the days of film that would be relatively easy,
    > but
    > with digital, assuming the images are still on the card, is it possible to
    > say definitely that what is there is what was captured by the lens, with
    > no
    > possibility that the image has been edited? For the sake of the exercise,
    > let's overlook the possibility of the UFO itself being faked, as happened
    > regularly with film.
    >
    > What do you think?
    >
    > Paul

    BTW there is a system out there that provides verification for legal use
    of digital images.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Oct 21, 2004
  4. Paul Bartram

    Mick Brown Guest

    Firstly frauds can be perpetrated on film, it has been done before. Also
    you can convert digital to film so it would be easy enough to pass off a
    film as real when it was modified on digital in the first place.

    I think there is software that shows if an image has been modified on
    digital (not 100% sure of that, maybe I seen it on CSI LOL). In this day and
    age with technology the way it is, someone will always try and prove that it
    is faked. The only way to really prove anything is if you shoot it on
    video, with 20 witnesses, of whom include Justice of the Peace's, Judges,
    Doctors, Lawyers..erm no scrap that last one, maybe a cop or 2 etc etc.

    Then again maybe the aliens will have a higher technology that you can use.

    --
    Michael Brown
    Melbourne Australia

    Mick Brown, Oct 21, 2004
  5. Paul Bartram

    RSD99 Guest

    For starters ... do a web search to find pages that contain all of the
    words in the string

    Canon Data Verification Kit DVK-E2

    RSD99, Oct 21, 2004