The Truth About Apple Ipod from a non-fanatic

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by bmoag, Dec 26, 2004.

  1. bmoag

    bmoag Guest

    I just got an Ipod for Christmas.
    Looks cool. It really does look cool.
    Is far from cool in actual operation, or non-operation as the case goes. Is
    actually kind of neanderthal in the way the user must conform to the device
    rules of operation.
    Doesn't work without agony of having to learn non-intuitive, idiosyncratic
    programming rules: this is the MSDOS of portable music players. This
    epmperor is buck nekkid.
    Has the least intuitive software I have ever seen: there is no clear way to
    simply load a single tune without having to watch hours of instructional
    videos, wade through or create useless playlists that conform to what Apple
    wants but not the end-user.
    Most solid state MP3 players are much easier to use.
    Ipod does not appear in Explorer as a drive: this is simple perversity on
    the part of Apple programmers who cannot admit Microsoft has a better idea
    called drag and drop. Diehard Appleholics will not admit this either but
    simply dragging music files to where you want them to be is a lot easier
    than the Apple playlist misconception.
    Menu is rigid, non-heirarchical and inviolable.
    Brain surgery is easy to do when you know the rules (I do!): learning to use
    an Ipod should not be as time-consuming.
    I think I will be giving this thing away: I do not want to devote hours to
    learning how to use it. The device is supposed to entertain me, not force me
    to spend hours learning to use it.

    bmoag, Dec 26, 2004

  2. bmoag

    Jerry G. Guest

    Does your iPod have a removeable memory card? If so, get a card reader for
    the card, and load it with your music as if it was a hard disk. Then put it
    back in to the iPod.

    I never used one of these, so I cannot comment on anything about how to use
    your iPod when it is connected to your machine. It does sound a bit or odd,
    or strange that it should be so complicated to use. I would expect that with
    such a device, it should be very easy to use. If not, then I would consider
    to find a way to return it, and get something that is appealing and simple
    to use.

    I would first however, talk to the iPod support people to find out exactly
    what is going on. There may be something very simple that has to be done to
    make things simpler. Maybe it is in some type of default help mode, or
    something like that.

    If the iPod is really so complicated to use, which sounds strange to me,
    then I would consider something else.

    --

    Greetings,

    Romeo E. Albert
    ============

    Jerry G., Dec 26, 2004

  3. bmoag

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in

    > I never used one of these, so I cannot comment on anything about how
    > to use your iPod when it is connected to your machine. It does sound a
    > bit or odd, or strange that it should be so complicated to use. I
    > would expect that with such a device, it should be very easy to use.
    > If not, then I would consider to find a way to return it, and get
    > something that is appealing and simple to use.

    The iPod has the /worst/ interface. You are forced to use the crappy
    iTunes software. You can't just drag and drop files to the iPod. Well,
    you can, but the iPod won't play them.

    Jim Berwick, Dec 26, 2004
  4. bmoag

    Thor Guest

    "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    > "Jerry G." <> wrote in
    >
    >> I never used one of these, so I cannot comment on anything about how
    >> to use your iPod when it is connected to your machine. It does sound a
    >> bit or odd, or strange that it should be so complicated to use. I
    >> would expect that with such a device, it should be very easy to use.
    >> If not, then I would consider to find a way to return it, and get
    >> something that is appealing and simple to use.
    >>

    > The iPod has the /worst/ interface. You are forced to use the crappy
    > iTunes software. You can't just drag and drop files to the iPod. Well,
    > you can, but the iPod won't play them.

    I assume this is their way of enforcing DRM on the iPod? Never having used
    one, I wouldn't know, but it would seem to be logical.

    Thor, Dec 26, 2004
  5. bmoag

    Michael-NC Guest

    I suspected as much. You also have to deal with Itunes and can't play the
    music anywhere you want it. You're allowed 5 "authorized computers" on which
    to play your purchased music. Funny, I don't have any such restriction with
    CD's I purchase.

    Michael-NC, Dec 26, 2004
  6. bmoag

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > I assume this is their way of enforcing DRM on the iPod? Never having
    > used one, I wouldn't know, but it would seem to be logical.

    I don't think so, as it let's me put ripped, non DRM protected MP3s and
    files on it. I would highly consider buying an iPod if I could just drag
    and drop my music too it, I found iTunes to be aggravating to use. I
    applaud apple for letting their janatorial staff design the interface, but
    seriously, for $250+ for a brand new iPod, I want something that works and
    works easily.

    Jim Berwick, Dec 26, 2004
  7. bmoag

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "bmoag" <> wrote in

    > Ipod does not appear in Explorer as a drive: this is simple perversity
    > on the part of Apple programmers who cannot admit Microsoft has a
    > better idea called drag and drop. Diehard Appleholics will not admit
    > this either but simply dragging music files to where you want them to
    > be is a lot easier than the Apple playlist misconception.

    If you disable all the Apple software and let Windows search for devices,
    it will find the iPod as a firewire hard drive. Unfortunately, you still
    can't drag and drop as the folder structure on it is insane, and simply
    dropping an MP3 into a folder will not let the iPod play it. You are
    basically /forced/ into using iTunes.

    Jim Berwick, Dec 26, 2004
  8. bmoag

    Jerry G. Guest

    I myself, am considering an MP3 player. The cost is not a concern. It is the
    quality of its operation and construction, and the user friendliness that I
    want to have.

    From what you are telling me, the iPod sounds like a model that I would not
    want to have! And, yet there is such a big rave about it. It is also a very
    expensive one.

    From what you are saying, the user has to go through some complications, and
    also use a proprietary software in order to use the iPod?

    If I was to get a generic type MP3 player, which ones do you think would be
    the best to consider?

    Are they generic in the way that I can simply load them up by just copying
    across to them?

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Dec 26, 2004
  9. bmoag

    Dan Fango Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > I myself, am considering an MP3 player. The cost is not a concern. It is

    the
    > quality of its operation and construction, and the user friendliness that

    > want to have.

    Then you definetly want to look at a Dell Digital Jukebox.
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/dj?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=
    dhs&~ck=mn

    > From what you are telling me, the iPod sounds like a model that I would

    not
    > want to have! And, yet there is such a big rave about it.

    My nephew bought an iPod...I wasn't impressed.

    >It is also a very expensive one.

    The DDJ can be had for as little as $149 for the 5GB model and $199 for the
    20 GB model.
    Although they are listed at regular price right now,keep an eye on
    Dell.com,they will go on sale again.
    I bought my 20GB model back in August for $199.
    It's about the size of a deck of cards,has a brightly lit LCD display and
    it's very user friendly.

    > From what you are saying, the user has to go through some complications,

    and
    > also use a proprietary software in order to use the iPod?

    Not with DDJ,although YMMV.
    I had mine fully operational within 10 minutes of connecting it to my
    'puter.
    To date I have 2200 songs on the HD (about half capacity) and have yet to
    encounter any problems as far as s/w,file transfer or functionality are
    concerned.

    I have no idea...maybe go to http://www.epinions.com and do some research.

    > Are they generic in the way that I can simply load them up by just copying
    > across to them?

    I think the DRMA prohibits the user to sync a cd directly to an mp3 player.
    With the DDJ you have to first record a cd to your computer HD & then
    transfer the file to the DDJ HD via USB cable.
    Once you have transfered the files to your player just delete them from you
    HD if you wish.
    I found out they hard way that if you delete songs from your computer HD
    while the mp3 player is connected to your computer the songs will be deleted
    from your mp3 player too.

    One other thing...if and when you do decide to purchase an mp3 player do
    yourself a favor and invest in a good set of headphones.The ear buds that
    are included with most mp3 players are crap at best.The same goes for the
    open-air headphones that come with most "walkman" type players.
    I would recommend these headphones:
    http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=005180
    Don't buy them from Sennheiser.com though.
    Do a Google search and I gaurentee you that you will find this same model
    much cheaper somewhere else.
    I paid $39.00 for mine.

    Whatever mp3 player you choose,enjoy it.

    HTH
    -Dan

    Dan Fango, Dec 26, 2004
  10. bmoag

    The One Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > Does your iPod have a removeable memory card? If so, get a card reader
    > for
    > the card, and load it with your music as if it was a hard disk. Then put
    > it
    > back in to the iPod.

    Lot of fucking about just to listen to music. I've heard the Ipod is shit
    too.

    The One, Dec 26, 2004
  11. bmoag

    The One Guest

    >I suspected as much. You also have to deal with Itunes and can't play the
    >music anywhere you want it. You're allowed 5 "authorized computers" on
    >which to play your purchased music. Funny, I don't have any such
    >restriction with CD's I purchase.

    You still buy CD's..... jesus.

    The One, Dec 26, 2004
  12. bmoag

    Jerry G. Guest

    Hi Dan,

    Thanks for the insight on these players. From what I can see, and what I
    read, the DELL seems to be a very good choice. As for the size of its
    capacity, I would go for the one with the most capacity. The greater, the
    better.

    You mentioned that if it is left connected to the computer, and you delete
    any music on the HD that is also in the DELL unit, the ones in the DELL unit
    will also be deleted. There is an advantage with this, if you want to
    synchronously manage the unit to the computer. I can see this being a plus
    for me, when doing a cleanup. For storing music, I can use a mass media
    storage drive.

    As for headphones, I have a number of different pairs. Finding a good set is
    difficult unless you go for something a bit expensive. I usually will go to
    a high end HiFi type shop, and listen to them to choose what I want. I
    realize a good set of earphones can be rather expensive, but they will last
    a long time, as long as I don't treat them roughly, and don't loose them. I
    have lost very good earphones in the past, so I know it will happen again.
    Also, considering that these earphones will be wrapped up and taken out very
    often, and used under various conditions, I have to expect any pair of
    earphones to not last forever.

    Anyways, you gave me some advise to seriously consider.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    "Dan Fango" <> wrote in message

    Jerry G., Dec 27, 2004
  13. bmoag

    Jerry G. Guest

    I agree with you in full, from what I have been reading over the last few
    days. I am now wondering how the manufacture is going to make due with all
    the complaints, or lack of sales, just to keep their product proprietary, in
    relation to the rest of the world.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    "The One" <> wrote in message

    Jerry G., Dec 27, 2004
  14. bmoag

    Michael-NC Guest

    "The One" <> wrote in message
    > >I suspected as much. You also have to deal with Itunes and can't play the
    > >music anywhere you want it. You're allowed 5 "authorized computers" on
    > >which to play your purchased music. Funny, I don't have any such
    > >restriction with CD's I purchase.

    > You still buy CD's..... jesus.

    Actually, I should have said, "CD's I might purchase..."

    ;-)

    Michael-NC, Dec 27, 2004
  15. bmoag

    The One Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message

    > "The One" <> wrote in message
    >> >I suspected as much. You also have to deal with Itunes and can't play
    >> >the music anywhere you want it. You're allowed 5 "authorized computers"
    >> >on which to play your purchased music. Funny, I don't have any such
    >> >restriction with CD's I purchase.

    >> You still buy CD's..... jesus.

    > Actually, I should have said, "CD's I might purchase..."
    >
    > ;-)

    Saying that Suprnova has closed down now :-(

    The One, Dec 28, 2004
  16. bmoag

    Michael-NC Guest

    "The One" <> wrote in message

    > "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "The One" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> You still buy CD's..... jesus.

    >> Actually, I should have said, "CD's I might purchase..."
    >>
    >> ;-)

    > Saying that Suprnova has closed down now :-(

    God damn that hurt! First SR and File Nexus then Share Connector... The RIAA
    is hammering the index sites. Try Loki's Torrent site.

    Michael-NC, Dec 28, 2004