The true horror of the Fuji orb problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Feb 25, 2012.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Feb 25, 2012

  2. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 21:58:26 +1300, Eric Stevens <>
    wrote:
    : On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 20:51:08 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    : wrote:
    :
    : >The big question is, why should people reward this company by buying
    : >their new pro camera, since they've done nothing to address this
    : >problem?
    : >
    : >http://www.dpreview.com/articles/33...rbs-investigated-does-the-firmware-fix-work/2
    :
    : A bigger question is "Do people buy product to reward companies or
    : because they like the product?"

    "Reward" is just an Andersonian figure of speech in this context. We all
    understand that.

    The really big question is "How did they let this camera out with such a
    severe and conspicuous problem?" Doesn't Fuji do any pre-release testing?

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Feb 25, 2012

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 21:58:26 +1300, Eric Stevens <>
    >wrote:
    >: On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 20:51:08 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    >: wrote:
    >:
    >: >The big question is, why should people reward this company by buying
    >: >their new pro camera, since they've done nothing to address this
    >: >problem?
    >: >
    >: >http://www.dpreview.com/articles/33...rbs-investigated-does-the-firmware-fix-work/2
    >:
    >: A bigger question is "Do people buy product to reward companies or
    >: because they like the product?"
    >
    >"Reward" is just an Andersonian figure of speech in this context. We all
    >understand that.

    We certainly understand the converse, which is that Rich decides *not*
    to buy a product in order to punish the company. ;-)

    >The really big question is "How did they let this camera out with such a
    >severe and conspicuous problem?" Doesn't Fuji do any pre-release testing?

    It wouldn't be the first time that prototype and pre-production items
    - in this case the sensor - have performed well, but volume production
    of the same item has not.
    Bruce, Feb 25, 2012
  4. RichA

    MG Guest

    "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 21:58:26 +1300, Eric Stevens <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > The really big question is "How did they let this camera out with such a
    > severe and conspicuous problem?" Doesn't Fuji do any pre-release testing?

    This is just one problem at Fuji. In a thread titled "What has gone wrong at
    Fuji" (17 Feb) I listed several other problems.

    I was considering buying Fuji camera, so I have been lurking on the Fujifilm
    Talk forum at dpreview. Quite sad. One person said the forum was just like a
    disaster site with shocked survivors wandering around aimlessly.

    There is also some sarcassm. Why buy an X10 with the white orb problem. For
    just a few hundred dollars more, you can get an X-S1 with white orbs, blue
    orbs (blorbs) and saggy lens syndrome.

    But it seems Fuji has a loyal customer base and these people are still
    buying Fuji cameras.

    --
    MG
    MG, Feb 25, 2012
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Feb 25, 11:01 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > >On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 21:58:26 +1300, Eric Stevens <>
    > >wrote:
    > >: On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 20:51:08 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    > >: wrote:
    > >:
    > >: >The big question is, why should people reward this company by buying
    > >: >their new pro camera, since they've done nothing to address this
    > >: >problem?
    > >: >
    > >: >http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3340468423/fujifilm-x10-orbs-investi....
    > >:
    > >: A bigger question is "Do people buy product to reward companies or
    > >: because they like the product?"

    > >"Reward" is just an Andersonian figure of speech in this context. We all
    > >understand that.

    > We certainly understand the converse, which is that Rich decides *not*
    > to buy a product in order to punish the company.  ;-)
    >
    > >The really big question is "How did they let this camera out with such a
    > >severe and conspicuous problem?" Doesn't Fuji do any pre-release testing?

    > It wouldn't be the first time that prototype and pre-production items
    > - in this case the sensor - have performed well, but volume production
    > of the same item has not.

    All is not lost! Look on the comments section of the news story,
    about 1/2 way down. Some guy thought up a way to deal with them.
    However, his fix might impact other areas of the image. This is an
    after shot:

    http://aggregate.org/DIT/FujiOrb/after.png
    RichA, Feb 25, 2012
  6. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Feb 25, 11:01 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > >On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 21:58:26 +1300, Eric Stevens <>
    > >wrote:
    > >: On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 20:51:08 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    > >: wrote:
    > >:
    > >: >The big question is, why should people reward this company by buying
    > >: >their new pro camera, since they've done nothing to address this
    > >: >problem?
    > >: >
    > >: >http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3340468423/fujifilm-x10-orbs-investi....
    > >:
    > >: A bigger question is "Do people buy product to reward companies or
    > >: because they like the product?"

    > >"Reward" is just an Andersonian figure of speech in this context. We all
    > >understand that.

    > We certainly understand the converse, which is that Rich decides *not*
    > to buy a product in order to punish the company.  ;-)
    >
    > >The really big question is "How did they let this camera out with such a
    > >severe and conspicuous problem?" Doesn't Fuji do any pre-release testing?

    > It wouldn't be the first time that prototype and pre-production items
    > - in this case the sensor - have performed well, but volume production
    > of the same item has not.

    There is also that superzoom they put out with the same sensor.
    RichA, Feb 25, 2012
  7. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Feb 25, 3:58 am, Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 20:51:08 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >The big question is, why should people reward this company by buying
    > >their new pro camera, since they've done nothing to address this
    > >problem?

    > >http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3340468423/fujifilm-x10-orbs-investi...

    > A bigger question is "Do people buy product to reward companies or
    > because they like the product?"
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Eric Stevens

    No, but it works in tandem. Cause and effect.
    RichA, Feb 25, 2012