The time it takes to burn DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by John, Feb 5, 2005.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hi.

    Just wondered how long it is supposed to take to burn a DVD?

    The reason I ask is because I have just burned my first DVD. It
    contained around 5 hours of video burned in Super Long Play mode so I
    can fit up to 360 minutes of video on one DVD-R/-RW. It was done in
    fast encoding 1 pass mode using Nero v6.

    It took roughly the same amount of time to burn the DVD as the length
    of video it contained, it was like it was burning in real time.

    When I want to burn audio onto a CD-R it does do it a lot quicker than
    this. For example if I have 80 minutes of audio and burn to CD-R it
    may take 4 to 11 minutes to burn the disc.

    Should it take this long to burn a DVD? I was using a DVD-RW so would
    that take longer than a DVD-R to do? Surely though it still should
    take the same time as the length of video I want to burn?

    I have Nero v6, Pioneer 109 DVD-RW, Win XP Pro. 120 GB Main HDD.
    AMD Barton 2500 CPU. 1GB Memory. ATI 9600 AIW Graphics.

    Thanks for any help on this.

    John

    John, Feb 5, 2005

  2. John

    Biz Guest

    Was that the actual burn time, or the time it took to encode and burn? The
    burn should take no longer than 60 minutes in teh absolute worst case. But
    encoding/authoring can take many hours.

    Biz, Feb 5, 2005

  3. John

    Smarty Guest

    John,

    A DVD takes about 8 minutes to burn with a recent vintage burner and 8X or
    faster media, which your Pioneer A09 supports. This is for a single layer
    disk, which is the type commonly used. A dual layer disk will take twenty
    minutes or so. These times are independent of the program length, since the
    disk will contain roughly 4.7GB on content for a single layer disk
    regardless of whether it holds 6 hours of video at a very low bit rate or 1
    hour of video at a very high bit rate.

    The rest of the time you experienced is due to "rendering" / "encoding"
    time. This is the time it takes for the authoring software (in your case
    Nero) to convert the file(s) into the proper format for DVD. If the files
    are already in a compliant format to begin with, this additional time is
    extremely short, maybe a couple more minutes total. I just finished, for
    example, a DVD which I authored with a program called TMPGE DVD Author using
    an mpeg2 file I captured in DVD compliant form of a recent TV show. The
    rendering took maybe 90 seconds, and the burning took 7 minutes and 12
    seconds. Thus the finished disk was done in less than 10 minutes.

    The majority of us who have been doing this for a while have found very good
    solutions to avoid or at least minimize the encoding / transcoding /
    rendering times so as to avoid all the waiting. We can offer suggestions on
    this depending upon what type of disks you are trying to make.

    Smarty

    Smarty, Feb 5, 2005
  4. John

    John Guest

    On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:53:56 GMT, A strange species called "Biz"
    <> wrote:

    >Was that the actual burn time, or the time it took to encode and burn? The
    >burn should take no longer than 60 minutes in teh absolute worst case. But
    >encoding/authoring can take many hours.

    Ah. This might explain it if it was the encoding and authoring. I
    went out to lunch and to go shopping and left my machine on, so it had
    finished when I got back. The burn part may have only taken a short
    time.

    So is this the software that makes the encoding/authoring take so
    long? Is there nothing that can be done to speed that up, or will it
    get any quicker in the future?

    What about just dragging and dropping files to DVD-RW as a storage
    device? Would that be quicker to do instead of authoring a DVD?

    Cheers

    John

    John, Feb 5, 2005
  5. John

    lviren Guest

    "Smarty" <> wrote in message
    > John,
    >
    > A DVD takes about 8 minutes to burn with a recent vintage burner and 8X or
    > faster media, which your Pioneer A09 supports. This is for a single layer
    > disk, which is the type commonly used. A dual layer disk will take twenty
    > minutes or so. These times are independent of the program length, since
    > the disk will contain roughly 4.7GB on content for a single layer disk
    > regardless of whether it holds 6 hours of video at a very low bit rate or
    > 1 hour of video at a very high bit rate.
    >
    > The rest of the time you experienced is due to "rendering" / "encoding"
    > time. This is the time it takes for the authoring software (in your case
    > Nero) to convert the file(s) into the proper format for DVD. If the files
    > are already in a compliant format to begin with, this additional time is
    > extremely short, maybe a couple more minutes total. I just finished, for
    > example, a DVD which I authored with a program called TMPGE DVD Author
    > using an mpeg2 file I captured in DVD compliant form of a recent TV show.
    > The rendering took maybe 90 seconds, and the burning took 7 minutes and 12
    > seconds. Thus the finished disk was done in less than 10 minutes.
    >
    > The majority of us who have been doing this for a while have found very
    > good solutions to avoid or at least minimize the encoding / transcoding /
    > rendering times so as to avoid all the waiting. We can offer suggestions
    > on this depending upon what type of disks you are trying to make.
    >
    > Smarty

    Thanks for this reply Smarty. I was going to pose the same question. The
    burning doesn't take long but the rendering bit takes ages. I am copying
    old music VHS tape content to DVDs that can be played on TV DVDs. I am
    using DVD + R discs as I have found they work best on my equipment.

    Is there a quicker way to render? Any software and sources that you can
    recommend?

    Thanks.

    lviren, Feb 5, 2005
  6. DVD2ONE ?

    Figjam\(cable\), Feb 5, 2005

  7. >
    > Thanks for this reply Smarty. I was going to pose the same question. The
    > burning doesn't take long but the rendering bit takes ages. I am copying
    > old music VHS tape content to DVDs that can be played on TV DVDs. I am
    > using DVD + R discs as I have found they work best on my equipment.
    >
    > Is there a quicker way to render? Any software and sources that you can
    > recommend?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Youmay want to consider captureing in the same resolution/format as you want
    for your final product - usually 352x480 mpeg-2 4mhz vbr from vhs.
    Check out the help websites often referenced here.

    Stuart

    Stuart Miller, Feb 6, 2005
  8. John

    Smarty Guest

    Stuart's reply is certainly correct but I would like to add some more
    suggestions to minimize rendering / burning time.

    My first and best recommendation is to capture directly into a DVD compliant
    format using a hardware encoder. This is really a very simple and
    inexpensive solution. Unlike the approach all of us were using a few years
    ago to make DVDs when mpeg2 encoder boards were many thousands of dollars, I
    now use Hauppauge PVR-250 cards and Hauppauge PVR-150 cards which cost as
    little as $67 apiece to take analog TV / VHS / cable / satellite / camcorder
    video and go directly to 720 by 480 DVD compliant video and audio with
    absolutely zero rendering time whatsoever. I do the same with a Panasonic
    DVD recorder to capture material on either erasable DVD-RAM or DVD-R disks
    with zero rendering time. If I need to edit the video, there are several
    excellent editors in the $50 to $70 price range. The point of all of this
    is............avoid avi files entirely!

    Secondly, I would suggest a simple and very well done piece of software to
    actually make the DVDs called TMPGE DVD Author. It is fast, easy to grasp
    and use, cheap ($60 or so), and very dependable. The free trial version
    should convince you of these qualities.

    Finally, I would say the latest crop of burners which do up to 16X are a
    fantastic bargain, and sell for about 20% of what we paid for burners just a
    couple years ago and are 8 times faster. Therefore, it is very worthwhile to
    spend the 80 bucks or so and get one of these burners to save more time,
    particularly if you burn a lot of disks.

    We can elaborate on any / all of these points if that will help you further.

    Smarty

    Smarty, Feb 6, 2005
  9. John

    John Guest

    On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 22:26:15 -0500, A strange species called "Smarty"
    <> wrote:

    >Stuart's reply is certainly correct but I would like to add some more
    >suggestions to minimize rendering / burning time.
    >
    >My first and best recommendation is to capture directly into a DVD compliant
    >format using a hardware encoder. This is really a very simple and
    >inexpensive solution. Unlike the approach all of us were using a few years
    >ago to make DVDs when mpeg2 encoder boards were many thousands of dollars, I
    >now use Hauppauge PVR-250 cards and Hauppauge PVR-150 cards which cost as
    >little as $67 apiece to take analog TV / VHS / cable / satellite / camcorder
    >video and go directly to 720 by 480 DVD compliant video and audio with
    >absolutely zero rendering time whatsoever. I do the same with a Panasonic

    Are DVDs not burned to 720x576 except for Super Long Play which is
    352x576? Would it not be quicker to go to these resolutions? I don't
    understand how 720x480 is compliant? Is this because you are using
    NTSC?

    >DVD recorder to capture material on either erasable DVD-RAM or DVD-R disks
    >with zero rendering time. If I need to edit the video, there are several
    >excellent editors in the $50 to $70 price range. The point of all of this
    >is............avoid avi files entirely!
    >
    >Secondly, I would suggest a simple and very well done piece of software to
    >actually make the DVDs called TMPGE DVD Author. It is fast, easy to grasp
    >and use, cheap ($60 or so), and very dependable. The free trial version
    >should convince you of these qualities.

    Is TMPGE DVD Author 1.6 a lot better than just using the Nero 6 Suite
    then, i.e. Nero Vision Express?

    >Finally, I would say the latest crop of burners which do up to 16X are a
    >fantastic bargain, and sell for about 20% of what we paid for burners just a
    >couple years ago and are 8 times faster. Therefore, it is very worthwhile to
    >spend the 80 bucks or so and get one of these burners to save more time,
    >particularly if you burn a lot of disks.
    >
    >We can elaborate on any / all of these points if that will help you further.
    >
    >Smarty

    >"Stuart Miller" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> Thanks for this reply Smarty. I was going to pose the same question.
    >>> The
    >>> burning doesn't take long but the rendering bit takes ages. I am copying
    >>> old music VHS tape content to DVDs that can be played on TV DVDs. I am
    >>> using DVD + R discs as I have found they work best on my equipment.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a quicker way to render? Any software and sources that you can
    >>> recommend?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> Youmay want to consider captureing in the same resolution/format as you
    >> want
    >> for your final product - usually 352x480 mpeg-2 4mhz vbr from vhs.
    >> Check out the help websites often referenced here.
    >>
    >> Stuart

    Hello.

    I am capturing Mpeg-2 files from my ATI TV Tuner with the following
    settings: 720x576, PAL (625) 8.00M Bit/Sec, Audio 48.000 Khz, 16 bit
    stereo. Would these settings make the encoding take longer? Or should
    these be okay?

    I believe I can change them. There are 4 different recording presets
    and I can have High Quality DVD settings down to Mpeg-1 Video CDs and
    Mpeg-2 Super CDs etc.

    It would be good if it had the same settings as you use when burning
    to the DVD i.e. High Quality 60 Mins (720x576 CCIR-601 D1, 9716
    Kbits), Standard 120 Mins all the way down to Super Long Play 360 Mins
    (352x576 Half D1, 1691 Kbits) but it doesn't unfortunately.

    Thanks

    John

    John, Feb 6, 2005
  10. John

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 22:26:15 -0500, A strange species called "Smarty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Stuart's reply is certainly correct but I would like to add some more
    >>suggestions to minimize rendering / burning time.
    >>
    >>My first and best recommendation is to capture directly into a DVD
    >>compliant
    >>format using a hardware encoder. This is really a very simple and
    >>inexpensive solution. Unlike the approach all of us were using a few years
    >>ago to make DVDs when mpeg2 encoder boards were many thousands of dollars,
    >>now use Hauppauge PVR-250 cards and Hauppauge PVR-150 cards which cost as
    >>little as $67 apiece to take analog TV / VHS / cable / satellite /
    >>camcorder
    >>video and go directly to 720 by 480 DVD compliant video and audio with
    >>absolutely zero rendering time whatsoever. I do the same with a Panasonic

    > Are DVDs not burned to 720x576 except for Super Long Play which is
    > 352x576? Would it not be quicker to go to these resolutions? I don't
    > understand how 720x480 is compliant? Is this because you are using
    > NTSC?

    The DVD Standard supports several formats besides 720x480.

    MPEG1:
    NTSC 352x240 / PAL 352x288

    MPEG2:
    NTSC
    352x240 /(352x480 IMHO the Best for most home sources and
    a normal analog display [Interlaced TV])
    704x480 / 720x480

    PAL
    352x288 / (352x576 should be the PAL version best for TV/VCR)
    704x576 / 720x576

    Audio:
    MPEG-1 Audio Layer2(.mp2)
    Dolby Digital Audio AC-3 (.ac3)
    Linear PCM (.wav)

    >>DVD recorder to capture material on either erasable DVD-RAM or DVD-R disks
    >>with zero rendering time. If I need to edit the video, there are several
    >>excellent editors in the $50 to $70 price range. The point of all of this
    >>is............avoid avi files entirely!
    >>
    >>Secondly, I would suggest a simple and very well done piece of software to
    >>actually make the DVDs called TMPGE DVD Author. It is fast, easy to grasp
    >>and use, cheap ($60 or so), and very dependable. The free trial version
    >>should convince you of these qualities.

    > Is TMPGE DVD Author 1.6 a lot better than just using the Nero 6 Suite
    > then, i.e. Nero Vision Express?

    Nero has a tendency to limit what you can do by forcing a totally
    unnecessary encoding using their encoder. TDA has no video
    encoder.

    While the initial impression of the Menu creation ability of TDA
    appears limited in comparison to some others, nothing could be
    further from the truth. Once you make your own menu theme,
    TDA provides a great deal of support for the very easy
    manipulation of the menu's features. All the graphic features of
    the TDA menu structure can be replaced by those of your own
    making.

    >>Finally, I would say the latest crop of burners which do up to 16X are a
    >>fantastic bargain, and sell for about 20% of what we paid for burners just
    >>couple years ago and are 8 times faster. Therefore, it is very worthwhile
    >>spend the 80 bucks or so and get one of these burners to save more time,
    >>particularly if you burn a lot of disks.
    >>
    >>We can elaborate on any / all of these points if that will help you
    >>further.
    >>
    >>Smarty

    >>"Stuart Miller" <> wrote in message

    >>> Youmay want to consider captureing in the same resolution/format as you
    >>> want
    >>> for your final product - usually 352x480 mpeg-2 4mhz vbr from vhs.
    >>> Check out the help websites often referenced here.
    >>>
    >>> Stuart

    > Hello.
    >
    > I am capturing Mpeg-2 files from my ATI TV Tuner with the following
    > settings: 720x576, PAL (625) 8.00M Bit/Sec, Audio 48.000 Khz, 16 bit
    > stereo. Would these settings make the encoding take longer? Or should
    > these be okay?

    You must have a high power system with the through put optimized,
    to be able to use those parameters and not have problems. The
    encoding is taking place as you capture, in "real time". No further
    encoding is needed. All that you might want to do is remove some
    commercials (adverts) which can be easily done in TDA or if you
    want to do frame accurate MPEG editing you could use VideoReDo
    or a Womble product on the MPEG files before feeding them to TDA.

    > I believe I can change them. There are 4 different recording presets
    > and I can have High Quality DVD settings down to Mpeg-1 Video CDs and
    > Mpeg-2 Super CDs etc.
    >
    > It would be good if it had the same settings as you use when burning
    > to the DVD i.e. High Quality 60 Mins (720x576 CCIR-601 D1, 9716
    > Kbits), Standard 120 Mins all the way down to Super Long Play 360 Mins
    > (352x576 Half D1, 1691 Kbits) but it doesn't unfortunately.

    There are most likely other capture programs for your card, try
    the user comments for that card at www.videohelp.com . There
    are sure to be some that allow you more control over the capture
    parameters.

    Ken Maltby, Feb 6, 2005
  11. John

    Alpha Guest

    The main problem with Author is that adding multiple files, as I always do,
    produces a needless stupidity: It creates chapters within a track. If you
    want separate menu elements for each file, you must manually add the files
    one by one. It is one of the only programs that does this, and it also does
    not, by default, use the file name for the menu item...that also must be set
    one by one.

    Alpha, Feb 6, 2005
  12. John

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    > The main problem with Author is that adding multiple files, as I always
    > do, produces a needless stupidity: It creates chapters within a track.
    > If you want separate menu elements for each file, you must manually add
    > the files one by one.

    Not true.

    >It is one of the only programs that does this,

    > and it also does not, by default, use the file name for the menu
    > item...that also must be set one by one.

    That's true, but a simple double-click on a track or chapter,
    brings up a data page with the name highlighted, so all you
    have to do is enter whatever you want for the menu item's
    text.

    I guess one man's "stupidity" is another's great feature. I also
    add multiple files and they are always great chapter points.
    These chapter points are "separate menu elements for each file".
    There are many good reasons to have chapter points within
    a track/title.

    If you need to have each file be its own Title/track because
    of differences in the file format, or to make each file be a
    title with chapters; then you will need to call up a separate
    track for each one. That's true to the DVD Standards.

    If it is just a menu issue then it is a simple matter to set the
    menu options to just have a track menu. This track menu
    will "automatically" consist of your files (Chapters).

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Feb 6, 2005
  13. John

    Alpha Guest

    "Ken Maltby" <> wrote in message

    > "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    >> The main problem with Author is that adding multiple files, as I always
    >> do, produces a needless stupidity: It creates chapters within a track.
    >> If you want separate menu elements for each file, you must manually add
    >> the files one by one.

    > Not true.

    WHAT!!! Not true? Umm then I am in the Twilight Zone because it is
    absolutely true.

    Alpha, Feb 6, 2005
  14. John

    Alpha Guest

    "Ken Maltby" <> wrote in message

    > "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    >> The main problem with Author is that adding multiple files, as I always
    >> do, produces a needless stupidity: It creates chapters within a track.
    >> If you want separate menu elements for each file, you must manually add
    >> the files one by one.

    > Not true.
    >
    >>It is one of the only programs that does this,

    >> and it also does not, by default, use the file name for the menu
    >> item...that also must be set one by one.
    >>

    > That's true, but a simple double-click on a track or chapter,
    > brings up a data page with the name highlighted, so all you
    > have to do is enter whatever you want for the menu item's
    > text.
    >
    > I guess one man's "stupidity" is another's great feature. I also
    > add multiple files and they are always great chapter points.
    > These chapter points are "separate menu elements for each file".
    > There are many good reasons to have chapter points within
    > a track/title.

    Not if the files are completely separate in content from one another buddy.
    Your analysis is flawed.

    Alpha, Feb 6, 2005
  15. John

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Alpha" <> wrote in message

    > "Ken Maltby" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    >>> The main problem with Author is that adding multiple files, as I always
    >>> do, produces a needless stupidity: It creates chapters within a track.
    >>> If you want separate menu elements for each file, you must manually add
    >>> the files one by one.

    >> Not true.
    >>
    >>>It is one of the only programs that does this,

    >>> and it also does not, by default, use the file name for the menu
    >>> item...that also must be set one by one.
    >>>

    >> That's true, but a simple double-click on a track or chapter,
    >> brings up a data page with the name highlighted, so all you
    >> have to do is enter whatever you want for the menu item's
    >> text.
    >>
    >> I guess one man's "stupidity" is another's great feature. I also
    >> add multiple files and they are always great chapter points.
    >> These chapter points are "separate menu elements for each file".
    >> There are many good reasons to have chapter points within
    >> a track/title.

    > Not if the files are completely separate in content from one another
    > buddy. Your analysis is flawed.

    It is apparent that you want separate Titles/tracks and that
    is how you should approach it. But, the problem is not one
    of there being no "separate menu elements for each file", as
    each of the menu selection item for each Chapter would match
    each of your files. You don't want them to play one after the
    other, I take it; so you should put them in their own track.

    As to which is the better default, wouldn't you say most users
    would have Titles composed of several chapters? Isn't it better
    to have the navigation data for a movie or TV show, match
    the commercial breaks, automatically? They well if the breaks
    are removed by producing separate .mpg files. I would
    recommend VideoReDo for that job.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Feb 6, 2005
  16. In article <>, Alpha <> wrote:

    >"Ken Maltby" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    >>> The main problem with Author is that adding multiple files, as I always
    >>> do, produces a needless stupidity: It creates chapters within a track.
    >>> If you want separate menu elements for each file, you must manually add
    >>> the files one by one.

    >> Not true.

    >WHAT!!! Not true? Umm then I am in the Twilight Zone because it is
    >absolutely true.

    If you add more than one file per title you will get one chapter
    for each clip you put in the title. If you use the add title for
    each new file you wish you get multiple titles with one chapter per
    title.

    When you go to the menu settings you can choose automatic which
    will give you titles plus chapter display, or three other options.
    Automatic is default. You can change it so it does not do that.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Feb 7, 2005
  17. John

    Alpha Guest

    I know this. Name another video program that works this way. Name another
    one that uses the misnomer track and chapter this way.

    Alpha, Feb 7, 2005
  18. John

    John Guest

    Ken

    When I am just using Nero 6's Vision Express, is it possible to have
    the titles of the different files named as you would have with an
    Audio CD with the song information? As the moment mine just say Title
    1 to Title 17 for a DVD I burned with 17 different clips I imported.

    Also, in the menu of the DVD I have the 17 different clips but it
    doesn't say which clips they are. Is it also possible to have the
    titles of the files here?

    Or would I need TMPGE DVD Author or something better to do this?

    Thanks

    John

    John, Feb 7, 2005
  19. John

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Ken
    >
    > When I am just using Nero 6's Vision Express, is it possible to have
    > the titles of the different files named as you would have with an
    > Audio CD with the song information? As the moment mine just say Title
    > 1 to Title 17 for a DVD I burned with 17 different clips I imported.
    >
    > Also, in the menu of the DVD I have the 17 different clips but it
    > doesn't say which clips they are. Is it also possible to have the
    > titles of the files here?
    >
    > Or would I need TMPGE DVD Author or something better to do this?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    While I have Nero 6.6 Ultra installed I haven't used it to
    create a DVD, as I prefer to work with TMPGEnc DVD
    Author (TDA). I'll make a test run to see how Nero is
    doing it. I'm sure any menu creation software would let
    you enter whatever you want for the menu selection item
    text.

    As to having "Tag" data like with CD's and MP3s; there
    is a similar component in the DVD Specification, but again
    I have never found a need or use for it, so it would take
    looking into.

    I'll get back later, Have to make a run to the grocery store.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Feb 7, 2005
  20. John

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Ken Maltby" <> wrote in message

    > "John" <> wrote in message
    >> Ken
    >>
    >> When I am just using Nero 6's Vision Express, is it possible to have
    >> the titles of the different files named as you would have with an
    >> Audio CD with the song information? As the moment mine just say Title
    >> 1 to Title 17 for a DVD I burned with 17 different clips I imported.
    >>
    >> Also, in the menu of the DVD I have the 17 different clips but it
    >> doesn't say which clips they are. Is it also possible to have the
    >> titles of the files here?
    >>
    >> Or would I need TMPGE DVD Author or something better to do this?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    > While I have Nero 6.6 Ultra installed I haven't used it to
    > create a DVD, as I prefer to work with TMPGEnc DVD
    > Author (TDA). I'll make a test run to see how Nero is
    > doing it. I'm sure any menu creation software would let
    > you enter whatever you want for the menu selection item
    > text.
    >
    > As to having "Tag" data like with CD's and MP3s; there
    > is a similar component in the DVD Specification, but again
    > I have never found a need or use for it, so it would take
    > looking into.
    >
    > I'll get back later, Have to make a run to the grocery store.
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken

    The Tip that came up when I opened Vision Express [DVD-
    Video]:

    "On this page, you can maintain the contents of your project.

    The content list displays your project's titles. Use the menu
    items on the page to create new video titles and slide shows.
    New video titles can also be added by dragging video files
    into the content list from Windows Explorer.

    You can also edit, rename, set chapters for, rearrange, and
    delete existing titles.

    Video titles can be merged into a new title. Select the titles
    you want to merge, then click the Merge button."

    It appears to work just like TDA in this regard, just click on
    the title name and enter whatever you want.

    I couldn't find a Text only template or a way to make one,
    though. It might be worth giving the TDA trial a go at it, with
    17 different items you might be better off if you can make a
    menu without thumbnails. The DVD Spec allows up to 36
    items per menu page, but most software, and common sense,
    keeps it at 9 or under. (TDA lets you go up to 24 but that
    would mean some pretty small text, especially if you had 24
    thumbnails there too.)

    I made a motion menu background and it appears that Nero
    renders the clip even though it was already DVD compliant,
    also the play back, in Nero, was very jerky during the preview.
    (It may be all right in a finished DVD, don't know.)

    I stopped there. It looks like there are a number of limitations
    with Nero, and I don't like it having to re-encode everything.

    If you give TDA a try, be sure to make your own "menu theme"
    it's easy to do. With your own theme you can edit it each time you
    use it, moving things around stretching and shrinking items, ect..

    With your project you could have the text field go all the way
    across the menu, like your CD listing. The format would have
    then initially laid out differently but you just click on an item in
    the "Edit menu theme" window, and you can move and alter it
    as you wish.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Feb 8, 2005